PDA

View Full Version : September Call Ups

moneyball
08-29-2008, 05:06 AM
Any word on who the Sox might add to the roster for September?

homie564
08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
chris carter
Bartolo Colon
michael bowden
and a few others are all pretty much locks to be called on

knittingmill
08-29-2008, 08:11 AM
i wish they'd call up josh bard before september in case he's lights out so he'd be eligible for the postseason.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
i wish they'd call up josh bard before september in case he's lights out so he'd be eligible for the postseason.

Josh Papelbon + Daniel Bard = Josh Bard ?

"Programs! Get your programs, hear! You can't tell the players without a program..."

Any word on who the Sox might add to the roster for September?
No, there is no official word. I believe that Jason Lane was signed with that intention. The Sox also have a preference to add at least one middle IF to rest the guys up the middle. Carter makes sense, too, as a PH.

Not sure who else might make it. The obvious need is pitchers but keep in mind that the Sox prefer not to have an overloaded clubhouse -- they feel that it is too distracting. Names like Bowden and Bard are much less likely than some guys who've been around a while and might help with MR and long relief: Pauley (granted, he's already here), Colon, Hansack.

knittingmill
08-29-2008, 08:31 AM
i deserved that. i always thought it was "get your programs, here"

Raidaz4Life
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM

no because he is paranoid so he had to add "hear" mid-sentence in order to make sure people were listening and able to hear him

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Touche

Wake's Fastball
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Globe rattled off a bunch of names today that they may/may not have gotten from Mike Hazen. Ranging from realistic to not, here's a buch of who they had on there.

From Pawtucket
Jason Lane
David Ross
Joe Thurston
Hunter Jones
Chris Smith
Bartolo Colon
Charlie Zink
George Kottaras
Dusty Brown
Kyle Snyder
Jon Van Every
Chris Carter
Michael Bowden (they're convinced he'll be part of the bullpen)

From Portland
Dan Bard
Lars Anderson
Zach Daeges
Argenis Diaz
Clay Buchholz

Out of that list, I'd say the ones we're most likely to see are Lane, Smith, Colon, Snyder, Ross, Thurston, Jones, Kottaras/Brown and perhaps Diaz for his glove.

homie564
08-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Globe rattled off a bunch of names today that they may/may not have gotten from Mike Hazen. Ranging from realistic to not, here's a buch of who they had on there.

From Pawtucket
Jason Lane
David Ross
Joe Thurston
Hunter Jones
Chris Smith
Bartolo Colon
Charlie Zink
George Kottaras
Dusty Brown
Kyle Snyder
Jon Van Every
Chris Carter
Michael Bowden (they're convinced he'll be part of the bullpen)

From Portland
Dan Bard
Lars Anderson
Zach Daeges
Argenis Diaz
Clay Buchholz

Out of that list, I'd say the ones we're most likely to see are Lane, Smith, Colon, Snyder, Ross, Thurston, Jones, Kottaras/Brown and perhaps Diaz for his glove.

id like to see thurston and carter up cuz of their power hitting... but i dont see thurston up

Wake's Fastball
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
id like to see thurston and carter up cuz of their power hitting... but i dont see thurston up

Thurston isn't really known for his power... his 10 HRs this year are a career high. I think him getting called up depends on the progress Lugo is making.

Tragedy
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Thurston was DFA. Not sure if he cleared and went to AAA, but that was the last I heard on him.

Funny how Hunter Jones' name was just mentioned. I was going to come in and say that one. I hope they bring him up, though I'm not sure they actually will. He's possibly an option for next years BP.

Wake's Fastball
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Thurston was DFA. Not sure if he cleared and went to AAA, but that was the last I heard on him.

Funny how Hunter Jones' name was just mentioned. I was going to come in and say that one. I hope they bring him up, though I'm not sure they actually will. He's possibly an option for next years BP.

Thurston got DFA'd, but the expectation is that he'll clear and go to AAA.

I'd love to see Hunter up as well. He's been murder on righties this year, and he'd be a nice counterpunch for Lopez.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Last I heard on Thurston was that he was expected to go look for a job elsewhere.

To make room for Mark Kotsay on the 25- and 40-man rosters, Joe Thurston was designated for assignment. Thurston said he would try to hook on with another major league team. If not, he's likely to end up back with Pawtucket.

Source: Boston Globe

I know it says he'll be back in PAW... but since it takes 10 days to clear they PawSox season will be over (except for playoffs).

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Bard, Carter, Jones, Wagner/Brown (Bye Ross), Lane, Bowden and Colon.

futureheisman
09-01-2008, 04:43 PM
i would like to see bard anderson lane zink bowden come up

KmB728
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
haha on that list they mentioned Clay... were not gunna be seeing him till next season

knittingmill
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
last pawsox regular season game: colon goes 6 on 66 pitches. 1 run, 1 BB, 1SO

cclipper44
09-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Thurston is back in Pawtucket, unless that game I saw on TV 2 nights ago was a re-run.

RedSoxtober
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Thurston is back in Pawtucket, unless that game I saw on TV 2 nights ago was a re-run.

Contract purchased by Boston on August 26th. Designated for assignment the following day without playing in a game. Returned to the PawSox on Saturday after clearing waivers.

Source: PawSox.com media notes

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Redsox.com says that we haven't called anyone up yet. Is that true?

cclipper44
09-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Redsox.com says that we haven't called anyone up yet. Is that true?

Probably since the minor league teams are all in the play-offs and i don't think the Sox are gonna mess with their rosters right now. Plus there are some guys that might be coming of the DL soon that would take some of those roster spots.

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 09:03 PM
oh okay.

yaowowrocket11
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I can't wait to see Lars Anderson, if he comes up.

The Intimidator
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Chris Smith is the first call-up. He just pitched a perfect 7th inning.

Celts22
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM
George Kottaras and Chris Carter were both called up and put on the 40-man roster. J.D. Drew was also activated from the 15-day DL.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I hope Kottaras sees some playing time...

Tragedy
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Doubtful. In the middle of the playoff race, you don't just throw rookies (Especially catchers) out there into the fire like that.

Crucis
09-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Well, there is that makeup game/double header this friday or saturday. But with Varitek's bat being so hot of late, it's hard seeing Tito wanting to take him out of the lineup any more than necessary.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kottaras catch Colon in the makeup game, since I assume that he's already caught some of Colon's rehab starts.

And with the Sox getting healthier, with Drew coming off the DL, the Sox are already going to have a surplus of starting quality players on the roster that Tito is going to have to juggle to find PT. I have a feeling that it will be difficult to find the kids some PT except in a serious blowout. And I'm not sure that we'll be seeing any of those against the likes of Tampa and Toronto (although you never know).

One thing's for sure. The Sox aren't going to lack for decent pinch hitters down the stretch.

The Intimidator
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about the double-header.

Osiagledknarf
09-09-2008, 01:24 AM
I'd love to see what some of these catching prospects can do, but I am not sure now is the appropriate time...things are getting intense.

RedSoxtober
09-09-2008, 07:56 AM
The Sox specifically said that they did not want the pressure of the playoff push on a minor league guy when they signed Ross and subsequently added him to the roster. With the day-night doubleheader saturday (12:35, 7:05) followed by a day game on sunday (1:35pm) it's more likely that we see each of the experienced trio catch one game while Kottaras serves as a safety valve for injury.

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
The Sox specifically said that they did not want the pressure of the playoff push on a minor league guy when they signed Ross and subsequently added him to the roster. With the day-night doubleheader saturday (12:35, 7:05) followed by a day game on sunday (1:35pm) it's more likely that we see each of the experienced trio catch one game while Kottaras serves as a safety valve for injury.

Good point.

futureheisman
09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
bowden wont be called up now

The Intimidator
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
No, he's done. Wait till next season for him.

RedSoxtober
09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Bartolo Colon was recalled from Triple A, bringing the roster to 33 players, and ending the September call-ups (other than those for injuries). Colon was on the disabled list from June 17 to Sept. 7 with a back strain, and he will pitch in Saturday's doubleheader, though the Sox haven't determined which game .

Source: Boston Globe

Osiagledknarf
09-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Let's go Bart!

The Intimidator
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Good news.

Osiagledknarf
09-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Good news.

It's something at least. Too bad Drew went from bad, to better, to worse in the span of a day though. Lots of ups and downs...I'm really hoping they'll hit a groove here at some point.

How's Seton Hall treating you? Haha.