PDA

View Full Version : The Article that sat the Miami Heat off in the 2006 NBA Finals and why writing ......

JordansBulls
08-29-2008, 12:31 AM
The Article that sat the Miami Heat off in the 2006 NBA Finals and why writing stuff in Newspapers and saying things motivate other teams.

Source: DallasNews (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/061106dnspocowlishaw.82aaa3f.html)

Call me a Western Conference snob. The Heat has no chance (have no chance? I don't know, why don't they get a real nickname?) in this series.

The Heat wants to play games in the 80s because it isn't good enough to score 90.

Source: WashingtonPost (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/21/AR2006062102224.html)

When they saw a headline in one of the Dallas newspapers calling the Heat an "Unworthy" opponent after the first couple of games, the Miami players seriously took offense. Before many others caught on, Wade, who is something of a techie, was online and got a whiff of city officials planning a celebration after the first two games of the series: "They'd already set up Parade.com. They already had their parade route and everything."

Miami's players and coaches didn't like that, either.

:pity:

That in itself was the cause of the Mavs losing, just the fact the city was preparing for a parade after 2 games.

DQL
08-29-2008, 12:41 AM
lmao that was hilarious. In 4 games winning streak Wade showed that the Mavs weren't an "unworthy" opponent to him. Sweet revenge

RocketsRule
08-29-2008, 12:46 AM
My how things have changed....

2006 champions to 2008 worst team.....

I can see how that motivated them though, that was a pitiful article. Although, that might have seemed true at the time, until Wade went insane.

#1Mavericksfan
08-29-2008, 01:07 AM
I remember that Heat series very well and there is no way a team can lose that many games in the Finals without something else going on...the Mavs beat the Spurs that year and the Spurs were better than the Heat and you mean to tell me we couldn't beat Heat with on only Shaq and Wade doing something on that team...please! at the end of the day David Stern doesn't like Mark Cuban and there way no way he was gonna let the Mavs win the NBA Title....so I hope the Heat are enjoying that NBA Title that David Stern help them get.

Lakersfan2483
08-29-2008, 07:20 AM
The officiating was definitely suspect in that series. I don't know how the Mavs lost 4 straight games in the finals, it was unbelievable.

Knicks845
08-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Sumthing like the Giants vs Pats, they sent out books of 18-0 lol and when they lost the jus sent em' to other countrys!

_Sn1P3r_
08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Lmao wow. All that planning for nothing.

SwaggaIke
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I remember that Heat series very well and there is no way a team can lose that many games in the Finals without something else going on...the Mavs beat the Spurs that year and the Spurs were better than the Heat and you mean to tell me we couldn't beat Heat with on only Shaq and Wade doing something on that team...please! at the end of the day David Stern doesn't like Mark Cuban and there way no way he was gonna let the Mavs win the NBA Title....so I hope the Heat are enjoying that NBA Title that David Stern help them get.

Stop it w/ that trash. We were better than you simple and plain. You can't rig 4 straight games. The Mav's have a team full of suckas. Dirk choking at the line. Josh Howard choking while Dirk was at the line calling ridiculous timeouts. How about Avery Johnson being COMPLETELY out coached by Pat. Haslem and Posey playing tremendous defense on Dirk. Dwyane BLOWING past any defender in front of him to get in the lane in order to get a foul call. The majority of our players being clutch, while yours were not. I guess the Warriors pounding you the next year was a fluke too? Or the Hornets repeating the same process? Face it, the Mavs didn't have it then and they don't have it now.

superkegger
08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
that probably didn't hurt their motivation, but apparently riley pulled that out during a timeout in the 3 quarter of game 3? cause until then they were still playing like ****.

MiamiHeat
08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
^ man your just hating
in every post you gotta say something bad about the Heat
just shut the fukkk up

prash
08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm glad Miami won that series.

bogdanrom
08-29-2008, 04:47 PM

HAHAHA!!:silly::silly::silly: Stop hating. The officiating was a little odd, but 4 game straight, I doubt that was only the referees.

superkegger
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
^ man your just hating
in every post you gotta say something bad about the Heat
just shut the fukkk up

i'm not hating. did you see those finals? the heat weren't playing all that well before like halfway through game 3. thats just how it was. I just don't buy that some article or a parade was their big motivation. it was just a complete collapse of the mavs and outstanding play by wade, not a newspaper article.

MiamiHeat
08-29-2008, 04:53 PM

wow you guys need to get over it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAH1c8nMrA is that how you felt? :)
but seriously no way in hell did stern have to do anything with it,
Wade was just out of this world in the Finals

SensandRaps
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
My how things have changed....

2006 champions to 2008 worst team.....

I can see how that motivated them though, that was a pitiful article. Although, that might have seemed true at the time, until Wade went insane.

lol:laugh::laugh:

#1Mavericksfan
08-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Stop it w/ that trash. We were better than you simple and plain. You can't rig 4 straight games. The Mav's have a team full of suckas. Dirk choking at the line. Josh Howard choking while Dirk was at the line calling ridiculous timeouts. How about Avery Johnson being COMPLETELY out coached by Pat. Haslem and Posey playing tremendous defense on Dirk. Dwyane BLOWING past any defender in front of him to get in the lane in order to get a foul call. The majority of our players being clutch, while yours were not. I guess the Warriors pounding you the next year was a fluke too? Or the Hornets repeating the same process? Face it, the Mavs didn't have it then and they don't have it now.

Man get outter here with the that BS...you could even touch Dwayne Wade without a foul being called...the Heat being better than the Mavs is ridiculous because the Spurs were better than the Heat that year and we beat them, As far a Josh Howard goes...he didn't even look at the refs he was looking a Avery the whole time but the refs called the timeout anyway, I know your not sitting up here talking about what the Warriors did to the Mavs what about getting swept by the Bulls in the first round after your team won the title or what about only wining 15 game last season?...I don't know how far you think the Heat are going with no PG and D.J. Mbenga, Mark Blount, or Jamaal Magloire as you possible starting center, when it all comes out that the Heat series was rigged your not gonna have anything to say so keep enjoying that NBA Title that David Stern help the Heat get.

JusFig
08-29-2008, 05:57 PM
The Miami Heat will win another championship before the Dallas Mavericks win one.

MiamiHeat
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Man get outter here with the that BS...you could even touch Dwayne Wade without a foul being called...the Heat being better than the Mavs is ridiculous because the Spurs were better than the Heat that year and we beat them, As far a Josh Howard goes...he didn't even look at the refs he was looking a Avery the whole time but the refs called the timeout anyway, I know your not sitting up here talking about what the Warriors did to the Mavs what about getting swept by the Bulls in the first round after your team won the title or what about only wining 15 game last season?...I don't know how far you think the Heat are going with no PG and D.J. Mbenga, Mark Blount, or Jamaal Magloire as you possible starting center, when it all comes out that the Heat series was rigged your not gonna have anything to say so keep enjoying that NBA Title that David Stern help the Heat get.

is funny how your whole argument is about how
the spurs were better than the heat and that's the only reason the whole thing was rigged and the mavericks beat the spurs so that's why you guys were suppose to beat the Heat?
man http://i33.tinypic.com/2hyyu85.gif

LayZbone
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
so keep enjoying that NBA Title.

we will :D. Great memories, and an amazing performance (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-1) by Dwyane Wade. You Mavs fans still crying about it to this day w/ all your conspiracy theories makes it all that much sweeter.

LayZbone
08-29-2008, 06:33 PM
is funny how your whole argument is about how
the spurs were better than the heat and that's the only reason the whole thing was rigged and the mavericks beat the spurs so that's why you guys were suppose to beat the Heat?

i know right...ever heard of rock-paper-scissors, Mavsfan? Just because the Spurs might have been better than the Heat, and the Mavs better than the Spurs, doesn't automatically make the Mavs better than the Heat. It's all about how teams matchup. For example, even back when the Heat were dominating, the Pacers always seemed to have their number. That didn't necessarily make the Pacers better than everyone the Heat beat though....

Beno7500
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I can see how that motivated them

#1Mavericksfan
08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
The Miami Heat will win another championship before the Dallas Mavericks win one.

Please! not with no PG and D.J. Mbenga, Mark Blount, Jamaal Magloire as the centers.

BALLER71
08-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Wade had the greatest Finals by a player ever seen...
Period.

BALLER71
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

#1Mavsfan or #1Mavshomer.
There comes a time where you have to admit your team got owned by Wade.
This is the time.

It's hard to overstate how awesome Wade was in leading the Heat to their lone championship, particularly in the final four games when Miami rallied from a 2-0 deficit to stun the Mavs.

Wade started the comeback by leading the Heat back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit in Game 3, scoring 12 points in the final 6 minutes to send the game to OT. He also made the biggest play of the series with his crazy dribbling foray to the rim at the end of overtime in Game 5 that -- controversially -- earned a whistle from referee Bennett Salvatore and a trip to the line for the winning free throws.

For the series, Wade averaged 34.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.7 steals -- and this in a slow-paced series (neither team cleared the century mark in regulation in any of the six games). His basket attacks were so deadly because the Mavs couldn't stop fouling him. Wade shot a whopping 97 free throws in the six games -- the most of any player since the merger -- including 25 in Game 5.

Overall, Wade's 33.8 PER is easily the best of any Finals performer since the merger. While it seems strange to have somebody besides Michael Jordan in the top spot, the truth is Jordan never dominated a Finals to this extent. At the time, many called Wade's performance Jordanesque. It turns out they might have been selling him short.

MiamiHeat
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Please! not with no PG and D.J. Mbenga, Mark Blount, Jamaal Magloire as the centers.

he didn't say when
he just said before the Mavs, we will be a different team in the future believe it :D

SwaggaIke
08-29-2008, 08:19 PM

The Bulls were always a tough matchup for us. We even had trouble w/ them our championship year. Not to mention the fact that our best player was coming off a 30 game layoff. The Mavs came back w/ a NEARLY IDENTICAL TEAM the year after having the league's best record, the MVP of the league and lost to a team in their first playoff appearance in 10+ years. Then came back the next year and lost to another team in their first year in the playoffs. Are you out of your damn mind? Check the last 15 years of Heat history. Our success TRUMPS the Mavericks. We've only had 3 losing seasons in 15 years since Pat Riley arrived in Miami. We'll have hella money to spend next year on one of the leagues top free agents. Lets be real. And we'll keep enjoying our title. And we'll enjoy our next one before the Mav's even get their first.

ARMIN12NBA
08-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess the refs read the newspaper and got upset as well.

Big Zo
08-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Reading these stupid rants of bitterness puts a smile on my face and makes that championship all the more sweeter. :)

innovator
08-30-2008, 07:40 AM
the referees screwed the mavs, remember the timeout called by "the mavs" according to the ref

Big Zo
08-30-2008, 07:43 AM
the referees screwed the mavs, remember the timeout called by "the mavs" according to the ref

J-Ho called the timeout, not the refs.

heyman321
08-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Wade had the greatest Finals by a player ever seen...
Period.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:v

heyman321
08-30-2008, 08:56 AM
^ Lol I tried to edit it but it wouldn't work. But seriously, good one BALLER71.

Cavs_Fan24
08-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Im glad the Heat won. They definitely deserved it, and i hate the Mavs:D

(no offense to Mavs fans):)

MiamiHeat
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
^ Lol I tried to edit it but it wouldn't work. But seriously, good one BALLER71.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-1

ESPN don't lie :D

Afridi786
08-30-2008, 02:04 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-1

espn blows...but it was one of the best.

LayZbone
08-30-2008, 04:18 PM

its not like he pulled that out of his butt....he's going by what espn.com already said.

heyman321
08-30-2008, 04:21 PM

John Hollinger never knows what the hell he is talking about. I think he was the one who said Houston would win it this past year. Anyways, it was a good performance (maybe top 3) but I wouldn't put it number one past MJ's clinching jumpers against Utah.

Lone Maverick
08-30-2008, 05:35 PM
As a very big Mav fan the officiating was just bad plain and simple, however I can't in good conscience say that was the sole reason the Heat won 4 straight.

I mean I'll give credit where credit is due and Wade was on another planet and played out of his mind, but if anyone followed that series and can say with a straight face that he didn't get bailed out numerous times by the refs then they're just turning a blind eye.

The Mavericks D had no answer for D Wade.

Avery was inexperienced and was severely out coached.

Dirk missed free throws he normally makes.

The "timeout" that almost wasn't and shouldn't have been but somehow still was.

etc etc

A saying goes, "No team in the history of sports has ever lost to a team they were better than" I don't know if I agree with that completely, but check the tape Heat 4 Dallas 2. So until some proof of those games being "fixed" surfaces just lay it to bed and chalk it up to bad reffing aka human error, and one guy going nuts and really bad timing for the Mavericks.

As for the article, Riles probably used that as extra motivation to his veteran squad, but that can't be the only reason the rattled off 4 straight.

I still think on paper that year Dallas was better than Miami but championships aren't won on paper so that doesn't matter, but thats just my opinion. =/

BALLER71
08-30-2008, 05:45 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lau gh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh ::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:v

I am a bit lazy to pull out stats, but I believe it was 34 PPG or 36 PPG... not sure.
And 7 rebounds.

LayZbone
08-30-2008, 06:15 PM
As a very big Mav fan the officiating was just bad plain and simple, however I can't in good conscience say that was the sole reason the Heat won 4 straight.

I mean I'll give credit where credit is due and Wade was on another planet and played out of his mind, but if anyone followed that series and can say with a straight face that he didn't get bailed out numerous times by the refs then they're just turning a blind eye.

The Mavericks D had no answer for D Wade.

Avery was inexperienced and was severely out coached.

Dirk missed free throws he normally makes.

The "timeout" that almost wasn't and shouldn't have been but somehow still was.

etc etc

A saying goes, "No team in the history of sports has ever lost to a team they were better than" I don't know if I agree with that completely, but check the tape Heat 4 Dallas 2. So until some proof of those games being "fixed" surfaces just lay it to bed and chalk it up to bad reffing aka human error, and one guy going nuts and really bad timing for the Mavericks.

As for the article, Riles probably used that as extra motivation to his veteran squad, but that can't be the only reason the rattled off 4 straight.

I still think on paper that year Dallas was better than Miami but championships aren't won on paper so that doesn't matter, but thats just my opinion. =/

Nice post. :clap: