PDA

View Full Version : Lars Anderson and team in 09-10?

celticfan
08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew when this kid is coming up to the red sox? I have heard from the thread that he will make and apperence 2010ish maybe 09 and will take first base over when Lowell's contract's up. I think that Youk would move to third base.
By that time we will have a heck of an infield and a decent outfield.

2009-2010
C-?????
1b-Anderson, Bailey
2b-Dustin
3b-Youk(Spann?)
ss-Lowrie, Lugo(if we still have him)
lf-Bay
cf-Ellsbury, crisp
rf-Drew, Ellsbury, Kotsay
DH-Ortiz????

Dice-K:clap:
Beckett-(if not hurt):(
Lester
Buchholtz
Wake, ZInk

Bullpen
Papelbon
Lopez
Delcarmen
Materson
Need Help in the bullpen

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Zink, no. Bowden is more likely.

celticfan
08-28-2008, 08:30 PM
I forgot about Bowden. You are right. Thanks!

BoSox47
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew when this kid is coming up to the red sox? I have heard from the thread that he will make and apperence 2010ish maybe 09 and will take first base over when Lowell's contract's up. I think that Youk would move to third base.
By that time we will have a heck of an infield and a decent outfield.

2009-2010
C-?????
1b-Anderson, Bailey
2b-Dustin
3b-Youk
ss-Lowrie
lf-Bay
cf-Ellsbury, crisp
rf-Drew, Ellsbury, Kotsay
DH-Ortiz????

Dice-K:clap:
Beckett-(if not hurt):(
Buchholtz
Materson
Wake, ZInk
Bullpen
Papelbon
Lopez
Delcarmen

Need Help in the bullpen

I disagree with that for next year. You are missing the best current pitcher on the red sox John Lester. Plus i believe in the offseason with the yankees going to throw money at C.C. Sabathia the Red Sox will throw money at Ben Sheets. Regardless this is what the lineup will look like in either situation. Wakefields option may not be picked up either. 4 million dollars for a new option when we have young arms in the farm looking to come up.

(Without Sheets)
Beckett
Lester
Dice-k
Wakefield(if signed)
Masterson/Buchholz/Bowdin

(With Sheets)

Beckett
Lester
Dice-k
Sheets
Wakefield(if signed)

Crucis
08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
2009 seems too early for Lars Anderson to be taking over 1B. IIRC, he's not even at Pawtucket yet. I suppose that he could get called up some time in 09 under certain circumstances, but 2010 seems a more likely target year for him to have a chance of staying with the big club, barring a trade or injury to Lowell or Youk.

Regarding the roster you listed, I doubt that Kotsay will be around after this year, unless Drew's injury becomes so serious that he might require some surgery that might cause him to lose a season.

If Casey isn't re-signed for next year, Bailey might actually be a nice backup 1B/corner OF-er to have. (And he'd be cheap, which isn't a bad thing.)

I'm not sure if the Sox would want to go another year with Coco as the 4th OF'er or not. Heck, I'm not sure if Coco would want it either. Then again, I don't know about his trade value either, so he may just stay around.

Regarding Ortiz, i don't know when his contract is up, but we may want to start getting ready for the day when the Sox are going to let him go. He seems like the sort of player (body-type wise) who isn't going to age well, even though he does play DH, so I'm not sure if the Sox would want to sign him to any sort of long term deal. Assuming that he was signed at least thru next year, I suppose if Ortiz had a productive and healthy 2009, the Sox might go for another 2-3 years. But I'm just not sure that Ortiz is going to remain healthy or productive.

So if the Sox were going to consider letting Ortiz walk after his current contract, who would they replace him with? Would they consider Chris Carter as a DH? Given his considerable defensive deficiencies, he'd seem like a perfect candidate for DH. OTOH, would the Sox want to lock themselves into another "mostly only good as a DH" sort of DH? With Ortiz, it was worth the cost cuz he's been such a productive and clutch hitter. But would a guy like Chris Carter be a good enough hitter to justify having a pure DH on the roster? I don't know.

When Beckett's contract comes up in another year or 2, I'm not even sure that the Sox will want to resign him, if he wants Santana (and likely CC) money. The Sox may prefer to simply go with the youngsters. (Also, history seems to have shown that big money pitchers are rarely worth the money, so it wouldn't be a "bad" decision to not want to take the risk, given the apparant odds.)

BTW, CelticFan, you also left Lester out of your rotation.

Let's try this again:

Possible Rotation for 2009 and beyond...

DiceK
LESTER
Masterson?
Bowden?
Beckett?
Wake?
Buchholz?

I suppose that you could also say that Zink isn't totally out of the picture, although that bad outing against the Rangers didn't help him any. I'd still love for the Sox to give him another shot, although I don't seriously think that Zink has a hope in hell of breaking into the Sox rotation as long as Wake is around since I don't see the Sox being willing to have TWO knuckleballers in the rotation.

I also suppose that if by chance Wake decided to retire after this season, the Sox might consider signing Byrd for a year or 2, on the theory that they may not be quite ready to have so many youngsters joining the rotation at once.

Also something to consider is that if the Sox think that they need bullpen help, might they chose to sign Byrd (or someone else) and keep Masterson in the pen, as he's shown the ability to be an effective reliever.

And another name to throw out there for the pen. ... Bard (?) ... the fireballing reliever who's down at AA, IIRC. By 2009, we might get a chance to see him called up the same way that Papelbon (in 05) and Masterson (this year) made their first appearences mid-season. Seems pretty likely.

This current Red Sox regime has shown a preference for calling up the kids mid season to give'em a taste of the Bigs, and let them slowly work their way into being big leaguers, rather than just give'em the job in spring training without any prior MLB experience. It's to the point that every season, we can look at the team's prospects and start predicting which one or two kids will get a shot to have the cup of coffee in May or June, and then a little more serious time in July or August, and possibly stay with the club for the playoff push. In 2009, it could be Bowden's and Anderson's time.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I will be surprised if we see Anderson in 2009 except possibly September. He has pretty much everything the Sox want at the plate, though. 23BB in 125AB (38G) is the kind of plate discipline the Sox love and he somehow managed to increase his OPS in POR over LNC despite LNC being a hitter's (especially LHB) paradise.

I think Zink has got a bunch of people overexcited. He's fooled a lot of minor leaguers but 29 is kinda late to bloom into an MLB rotation. He's far older than the competition and that does not bode well for future success.

Crucis
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Flipside on Zink, Soxtober, is that knuckleballers are historically late bloomers (probably because they always seem to be failed normal pitchers and it must take a while to become a MLB quality knuckleball pitcher).

Still, I agree that he's a long shot, particularly with the number of really good young regular pitchers in the pipeline.

He might have a better shot at the major elsewhere.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Flipside on Zink, Soxtober, is that knuckleballers are historically late bloomers (probably because they always seem to be failed normal pitchers and it must take a while to become a MLB quality knuckleball pitcher).

Still, I agree that he's a long shot, particularly with the number of really good young regular pitchers in the pipeline.

He might have a better shot at the major elsewhere.

Wakefield and Niekro were in MLB at 25. Charlie Hough debuted at 22. They're all .500+ pitchers. Steve Sparks hit MLB at 29 and posted a .437 WPct in parts of 9 MLB seasons

Do you have a successful knuckleballer who "bloomed" later?

futureheisman
09-01-2008, 05:04 PM
bucholz wouldnt be ready and what are you going to do with lowell

celticfan
09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I disagree with that for next year. You are missing the best current pitcher on the red sox John Lester. Plus i believe in the offseason with the yankees going to throw money at C.C. Sabathia the Red Sox will throw money at Ben Sheets. Regardless this is what the lineup will look like in either situation. Wakefields option may not be picked up either. 4 million dollars for a new option when we have young arms in the farm looking to come up.

(Without Sheets)
Beckett
Lester
Dice-k
Wakefield(if signed)

(With Sheets)

Beckett
Lester
Dice-k
Sheets
Wakefield(if signed)

Just added him. I am pretty sure I was drunk when i did this thread:cheers:

The Intimidator
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I think that Anderson will definitely be a September callup next year, and then will probably be up and down alot in 2010, ala Youkilis in '05. I see him taking over in 2011, once Lowell's contract is up, and Youk moves to 3B.

celticfan
09-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I thought Lowell contract was up after the 2010 season

yaowowrocket11
09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Lars Anderson will be a great player in the majors, and he will make an immediate impact with the Red Sox whenever he does come up, because he is the real deal. A hell of a hitter. Can't wait to see him play.

The Intimidator
09-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I thought Lowell contract was up after the 2010 season

It is. I meant that Anderson would take over at the beginning of the 2011 season, after Lowell's contract expired after 2010.