PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Most Overrated Teams

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Source: Hoops4life (http://www.hoops4life.com/home/Overtime/The-Most-Overrated.html)

Dallas Mavericks

The Mavs most likely have one more year as they currently are before they started ripping the roster apart.

PG: Jason Kidd SG: Josh Howard SF: Jerry Stackhouse PF: Dirk Nowitzki C: Erick Dampier Bench: Jason Terry/Brandon Bass.

Denver Nuggets

A team with two of the best scorers of this decade on the team plus the reigning defensive player of the year? Added with an extremely experienced coach and a great (if mislead) scoring talent coming off the bench?

Should be contenders right? Apparently not.

PG: Chucky Atkins SG: Allen Iverson SF: Carmelo Anthony PF: Kenyon Martin C: Camby Bench: JR Smith

Detroit Pistons

As with the Mavs, this is likely to be the last season we will see this roster all together. The Pistons will always be a team to be reckoned with, but apparently only up until the conference finals.

PG: Chauncey Billups SG: Rip Hamilton SF: Tayshaun Prince PF: Antonio McDyess C: Rasheed Wallace Bench: Jason Maxiell/Rodney Stuckey

The rest of the contenders:

Phoenix Suns: Just like the Mavs, usually they are slotted into the top of west, but not this year, time and age is beginning to take revenge in the desert.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Supposedly one of the top teams in the East, and to be fair they did finish third, but the run to the finals was merely fluke in my opinion.

Toronto Raptors: After such a successful previous year, the raptors should have been a threat again, but injuries and a nasty point guard situation took its toll. However, out of the teams Iíve listed here, Toronto are probably the least deserving to be here, and also have the brightest future for next season.

North Yorker
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Why are the Raps on there? The reason why we declined were because of 1) injuries and 2) the celtics became a friggen powerhouse overnight.

rhino17
08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with the raptors and Pistons for sure

but i dont think Denver of Dallas is overrated, they are just underachievers

pippsux
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Pistons are overrated for all the talk of their suffocating defence and best 5 in basketball and 4 coaches, all they have to show for it is 1 championship. Makes you wonder if the Lakers had showed up, would the Pistons even have the one championship?

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
The older, top ranked teams will only become overrated once they stop reaching the quarter and semifinals.
In my opinion, the Houston Rockets are one of the most overrated teams. They haven't made it past the first round, yet a lot of people are ranking them as a top contender with Ron Artest's arrival. Let's see him play before making judgments on how well the team will do. Obviously, 20 something wins in a row does not equal playoff success.
Philadelphia is another overrated team that comes to mind.
In general, teams with new star players should not automatically be rated as great.

knicks1214
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't think the Pistons are overrated. It's kinda hard to be overrated when they make it to 6 eastern conference championships in a row...they just need a coach that goes back purely to defense-Larry Brown. Saunders is an offensive coach so their roots are being torn up, so to speak. They still are contenders in the east...at least until they start getting ripped apart or injuries start to plague them.

Rome
08-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Raptors shouldn't be up there, either should the suns. A lot of people are saying we'll be a high seed anyway. All teams are getting older.

rapswin98
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
clevevland is overrated period and so are the nuggets

BowDown32
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with Knicks1214. The Pistons have gone to the East Finals 6 years in a row!! I don't care how weak the East has been that is impressive. Throughout everything these past 6 years they have still managed to get that far.
I also agree with rhino17 in that Dallas and Denver are not overrated. There teams are stacked with talent, they are just underacheivers.
I would say Philly is overated coming into this year. They got one player in Brand that makes them a hell of a lot better, but they still don't have that much going for them.
I'm a huuuge Raps fan and I think they are gonna do great this year, but I think they are being hyped a little much. There is a higher possibility of going further than Philly just because of there 3 point shooting and the team being together for a few years. Philly has no outside shot and are still very young.

BowDown32
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Let me throw Houston in there as well. They got Artest, which on paper makes them look nice, but they havent got outta the first round in how long? Lets wait and see what they do before we start all the hype.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Let me throw Houston in there as well. They got Artest, which on paper makes them look nice, but they havent got outta the first round in how long? Lets wait and see what they do before we start all the hype.

You are right. And it doesn't make sense that a team with 2 top 10 players in the league can't get out of the 1st round.

Now they will have 3 top 25 players in the league sort of like Boston had last year. They have absolutely no excuses now.

bigmac8675
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
The Nuggets are way overrated.... their problem before was they couldn't play defense, and so now they got rid of their best defender in the middle (Camby). Not to mention Carmelo is quite overrated as well.

knicks1214
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Kinda hard to overrate someone who averages 25ppg and 7 rpg...can't really name many other players who have those stats.

MiamiHeat
08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
:laugh2:
can't wait until the Raptors fans
come here they should of added the 76ers into the list
just to make it even funnier

DopieB
08-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Raptors might be good, if JO can stay healthy and co-exist with Bosh, they have a very scary front court, but they aren't over rated as of now

bigmac8675
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I never said Carmelo wasn't a good player.... but people rate him as one of the top players in the game. And that he is not. Top 30 maybe.... sure he can score and grab a couple boards, but can he play D?? Assists?? Not much of a team player if you ask me.... aka overrated.

Chronz
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
You are right. And it doesn't make sense that a team with 2 top 10 players in the league can't get out of the 1st round.

Now they will have 3 top 25 players in the league sort of like Boston had last year. They have absolutely no excuses now.
What are you confused about? The Rockets have lost to better teams each year.

Now they have the talent to go with the stars

Nets fan 93
08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
lol it says camby at center for the nuggs

Beno7500
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Denver is overrated.

torontosports10
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
YA this must be old cause Camby is still the C of the Nugg's... i dotn see the Raps being over-rated but it dont bother me none

23LBJCleBrowns
08-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Cavs??!?!?!?!?

mitch91
08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
I never said Carmelo wasn't a good player.... but people rate him as one of the top players in the game. And that he is not. Top 30 maybe.... sure he can score and grab a couple boards, but can he play D?? Assists?? Not much of a team player if you ask me.... aka overrated.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u are saying there are 30 peole better than melo!!!!
infact u are saying he is MAYBE in the top 30!!!!

i dare u to name me 30 players better than melo. i think you are soooooo very very wrong and the vast majority of people will agree with me here. and if you ahvent cheked it out melo was just voted the 3rd best sf in the league by the psd fans!

give me the 30!!!
to quote a famous line form a famours movie (but slightly altered)
SHOW ME THE.....30!!!

MiamiHeat
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u are saying there are 30 peole better than melo!!!!
infact u are saying he is MAYBE in the top 30!!!!

i dare u to name me 30 players better than melo. i think you are soooooo very very wrong and the vast majority of people will agree with me here. and if you ahvent cheked it out melo was just voted the 3rd best sf in the league by the psd fans!

give me the 30!!!
to quote a famous line form a famours movie (but slightly altered)
SHOW ME THE.....30!!!

30!!!

knicks1214
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Name 30 players better than Melo...hell name 15 players...

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Melo is what? 24? I think he has the tools to be a more well-rounded basketball player....we are all just waiting for it to all click with him....

bigmac8675
08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
OK... this is a quick list, so some of the order might be messed up.
And yes I will admit I was wrong to say Top 30.... I just got excited and over exaggerated. But IMO he is right around the 20 spot.
1. Kobe
2. Lebron James
3. Tim Duncan
4. Chris Paul
5. D. Wade
6. Kevin Garnett
7. Yao
8. T-Mac
9. S. Nash
10. Dwight Howard
11. Paul Pierce
12. A.I.
13. Amare Staudamire
14. Deron Williams
15. Baron Davis
16. Caron Butler
17. Tony Parker
18. Pau Gasol
19. M. Ginobilli
20. Carmelo Anthony

bigmac8675
08-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Also.... IMO a player is considered a player when it comes to how well rounded he is, not just PPG. But also APG, RPG, and a certain fire or level of energy they bring to the table for their teams.

MiamiHeat
Ginobili?
Pau Gasol?
Tony Parker?
Baron Davis?

:crazy:

DreamShaker
Name 30 players better than Melo...hell name 15 players...

Kobe
Lebron
Duncan
Wade
KG
Dirk
Paul
Deron Williams
T-Mac
Yao
Paul Pierce
D-Howard
Nash
Melo
Amare

Those are my top-15 players probably....Bosh is right there as well....

Lone Maverick
08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Not in order but 15 players better than Melo

Kobe
Lebron
CP3
Deron Williams
T-Mac
Dirk
Tim Duncan
Caron Butler
D-Wade
Amare
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
Yao
Elton Brand
Chris Bosh
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Thats more than 15 :rolleyes:

As for the article, I don't think the Mavs are overrated, they've underachieved sure but they're not really rated that much at all anymore.

Where are the Blazers on the list? They haven't done anything yet and people are acting like they're the greatest team ever.

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Ginobili?
Pau Gasol?
Tony Parker?
Baron Davis?

:crazy:

Yeah I don't see any of those guys being better than Melo....maybe Manu....but Manu is declining as Melo is rising....

Spurred1
08-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Hard to see how the Mavs are viewed as overrated when most people seem to think they're crap. So who are they being overrated by, exactly?

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Kobe
Lebron
CP3
Deron Williams
T-Mac
Dirk
Tim Duncan
Caron Butler
D-Wade
Amare
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
Yao
Elton Brand
Chris Bosh
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd

As for the article, I don't think the Mavs are overrated, they've underachieved sure but they're not really rated that much at all anymore.

Where are the Blazers on the list? They haven't done anything yet and people are acting like they're the greatest team ever.

I'm sorry I can see the debate with most of that but there is no freakin way that Caron Butler is better than Carmelo Anthony....just no.

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Hard to see how the Mavs are viewed as overrated when most people seem to think they're crap. So who are they being overrated by, exactly?

Good point.

MiamiHeat
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Kobe
Lebron
CP3
Deron Williams
T-Mac
Dirk
Tim Duncan
Caron Butler
D-Wade
Amare
Dwight Howard
Kevin Garnett
Yao
Elton Brand
Chris Bosh
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd

seriously?
thats a homerish pick

mitch91
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
OK... this is a quick list, so some of the order might be messed up.
And yes I will admit I was wrong to say Top 30.... I just got excited and over exaggerated. But IMO he is right around the 20 spot.
1. Kobe
2. Lebron James
3. Tim Duncan
4. Chris Paul
5. D. Wade
6. Kevin Garnett
7. Yao
8. T-Mac
9. S. Nash
10. Dwight Howard
11. Paul Pierce
12. A.I.
13. Amare Staudamire
14. Deron Williams
15. Baron Davis
16. Caron Butler
17. Tony Parker
18. Pau Gasol
19. M. Ginobilli
20. Carmelo Anthony

wait a minute stop the presses...thats 19 you said 30! and it was voted that melo is better than caron so that dont count parker is not pau is not manu is not those 3 are def not better than melo my good friend. and i think an arguement can be made for melo being better than some of the other players but also vice versa.

knicks1214
08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Yao and T-Mac are always hurt, not to mention Melo averages more points and rebounds than T-Mac. Butler, Parker, Pau (Mr. Softie) and Ginobli are also not better than him. Give it up, Melo is easily in the top 20...probably top 15.

IversonIsKrazy
08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
suns r the most overrated on that list and in tha nba.

LA_Raiders
08-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Den & Clev....Overated

MiamiHeat
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
MIAMI is not OVERRATED :)

got cha?

mitch91
08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
suns r the most overrated on that list and in tha nba.

suns overrated??? ur answer to this will be ammm they dont play no D. but this year its entirely different as knowbody is expecting anything from the suns. watch them go!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Tha guy who says Melo might be top 30 is an idiot.

Why aren't tha Blazers or Raptors on this list?

mitch91
08-28-2008, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=AIMelo=KillaDUO;6451089]Tha guy who says Melo might be top 30 is an idiot.

i totally agree!
clearly doesnt no his basketball

SensandRaps
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
MIAMI is not OVERRATED :)

got cha?

lol thats cuz no one has any real expectations for them :D

MiamiHeat
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
lol thats cuz no one has any real expectations for them :D

i know they are big sleepers
:)

Yogi
08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Cleveland is sadly overrated.

SensandRaps
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
i know they are big sleepers
:)

true if they have chemistry from the start of the season and wade stays healthy i can see them making the 7th seed

#1Mavericksfan
08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't know how the Mavs are viewed as "overrated" when most people in this forum are not even picking the Mavs to make the Playoffs...if there's anybody overrated it's the Heat.

Chronz
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Cleveland is sadly overrated.

OMG thats the funniest sig Ive seen in forever, that dude is awesome.

NBAkYD
08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
woohoo, 76ers arent there

goku
08-28-2008, 10:55 PM
mami