PDA

View Full Version : Does Dennis Rodman belong in the Hall of Fame?

MoBASS
08-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure when he's eligible, but I'm shocked that this is even a question. In my eyes he's a lock, a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But it looks like this is in debate.

Phil Jackson just called him the greatest athlete he ever coached :rolleyes:

And this is an old article on ESPN:

Dennis Rodman
Sorry, Charles, but Rodman is by far the best rebounding non-center in basketball history. He led the league in rebounding seven times (more than great rebounding forwards Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Jerry Lucas and Charles Barkley combined). But not only was he winning rebounding titles, he was blowing the competition to smithereens.

In 1992, he had 18.7 rebounds per game to runner-up Kevin Willis' 15.5.

In 1993, he had 18.3 to Shaquille O'Neal's 13.9.

In 1994, he bested O'Neal again, 17.3 to 13.2.

In 1995, he outdistanced Dikembe Mutombo 16.8 to 12.3.

In 1996, he beat David Robinson 14.9 to 12.2.

In 1997, he really left Mutombo in the dust, 16.1 to 11.6.

And, in 1998, it was 15 for Rodman and 13.6 for Jayson Williams.

Even Wilt Chamberlain wasn't hammering the competition by such fat margins. With a wiry 6-7, 228-pound frame, Rodman was out-boarding behemoths.

Rodman often dove into the stands to get offensive rebounds, just to give his team one more shot. He owns the playoff record for 11 offensive boards in a single game, which he collected twice as a Chicago Bull in the 1996 Finals against Seattle.

Michael Jordan, who averaged 27 points but hit just 41 percent of his shots in the series, won the Finals MVP; Rodman, who averaged 15 rebounds per game, was just as deserving of the honor.

Rodman won seven NBA All-Defensive first team awards and was voted Defensive Player of the Year in 1990 and 1991.

Rest assured, he is also the only player who said he wanted to play a complete game in the nude. He was spirited, never dull. How about his lining up on the free-throw lane with his arms folded?

How his antics will mesh with the Hall's "total contribution" criterion for selection is hard to tell. But it says here that a player who has piled up these distinctions ought not to be shut out for wearing a wedding dress or changing his hair color each day of the week.

Rodman has been retired for the necessary five years to be eligible. But the trustees of the Hall of Fame can determine that if a candidate has "damaged the integrity of the game of basketball" he may be "deemed unworthy of enshrinement and removed from consideration."

Stay tuned.

superkegger
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I think so. I think you could make an argument that he also belongs on that list of 50 greatest players ever too...maybe.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Adrian Dantley just made it and Dennis Johnson has not. If those guys barely made it, then Rodman sure as hell shouldn't.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
He's a great defensive player and rebounder, but just a role player. If he gets let in, then a lot of other good role players who aren't in the hall of fame deserve to get in.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
He's a great defensive player and rebounder, but just a role player. If he gets let in, then a lot of other good role players who aren't in the hall of fame deserve to get in.

Guys like Shawn Kemp, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Johnson, Grant Hill who are just some of the guys who are better probably won't make the hall of fame and Rodman wasn't better than any of them.

MassoDio
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Adrian Dantley just made it and Dennis Johnson has not. If those guys barely made it, then Rodman sure as hell shouldn't.

Rodman has something that neither of those players have going for them. He was the absolute, undistputed best at something in the league during almost his entire career in the league. He was the best rebounder in the league hands down during most of his career. Adrian Dantley and Dennis Johnson were excellent players, and should probably make it as well, but neither was the absolute best in the league at anything they did.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Rodman has something that neither of those players have going for them. He was the absolute, undistputed best at something in the league during almost his entire career in the league. He was the best rebounder in the league hands down during most of his career. Adrian Dantley and Dennis Johnson were excellent players, and should probably make it as well, but neither was the absolute best in the league at anything they did.

Ok, so being the best rebounder makes you a hall of famer?

Rodman was a good complimentary player and a player that could not take a team anywhere. When you think of hall of famers you think of guys who can lead a team as the best individual player on the team. Rodman could never do that.

Mark Eaton was probably the best shot blocker in the league when he played and even one year averaged 5.6 blocks per game and he is no hall of famer and he is actually #1 all time in bpg.

pippsux
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes. One of the best one on one defenders in the game. He frustrated whoever he was defending mentally and physically and was a big piece of one of the most dominant teams of the modern era, " DA BULLS". He was an outstanding rebounder and should be in by 3rd or 4th ballot. By then he would have matured enough to come dressed correctly and make a respectful speech at HOF ceremony.

pippsux
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Mark Eaton was probably the best shot blocker in the league when he played and even one year averaged 5.6 blocks per game and he is no hall of famer and he is actually #1 all time in bpg.

Actually Olajuwon is the official leader for all time blocks.

thesparky33
I say he's a hall of famer. He's one of the greatest raw defenders and hustle players I've ever seen play.

I dont think he'll get much consideration during his first few years of eligibility, but I think maybe 10-20 years from now, he could very well make it in...

NYKnickFanatic
Key player for the Bulls.

:D

thesparky33
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Guys like Shawn Kemp, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Johnson, Grant Hill who are just some of the guys who are better probably won't make the hall of fame and Rodman wasn't better than any of them.
You dont think Zo will be in the HOF?

Actually Olajuwon is the official leader for all time blocks.
He said blocks per game, not total blocks...

pippsux
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
He said blocks per game, not total blocks...

Read the whole sentence, he clearly states #1 shot blocker not blocks per game.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Read the whole sentence, he clearly states #1 shot blocker not blocks per game.

bpg is blocks per game.

pippsux
08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
You know what apologies to all, my bad, 3 -4 ginger beers will do that. He clearly states bpg. I am suprised Big Eaton is not in yet. I mean if Bill Walton is in then Eaton should have been by now.

MoBASS
08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes, being the best rebounder for over a decade, and a great defender to boot, and a key component to probably the greatest team ever...

DOES = Hall of Fame!

cahawk
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Rodman was awesome.

bogdanrom
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I voted no, but I would not be surprised if he did get in. The only reason I said No was beacuse he didn't really do anything except rebounding, and defense. A great player, one of my favorites.Also his off-court behavior my have something to do with the decision of the panel.

MoBASS
08-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't understand why my threads keep getting moved to this stupid forum that nobody goes to. They are great questions and people were actively involved in them until they came to this graveyard!

MassoDio
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, so being the best rebounder makes you a hall of famer?

Rodman was a good complimentary player and a player that could not take a team anywhere. When you think of hall of famers you think of guys who can lead a team as the best individual player on the team. Rodman could never do that.

Ok, I didn't say that was the only thing that makes him belong in the hall of fame. I said that is what he has that those other two players don't that separates him from them. He also was a key figure in 5 championships. Was one of the most versitile and best defensive players in the league for many years. And the hall of fame is full of guys who didn't lead their teams as the best player on the team.

S.J.Basketball
08-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Whatever. The man played awesome. Give him his due. If he likes to be screwed like a fairy while wearing a wedding dress then that's his business, but on the court he was great.

Tom81
08-29-2008, 05:42 AM
No

amare#1
08-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Definitely. Anyone who is 6'8 and averages 18.7 rebs per game, as well as at least 14.9 rebs per game for 7 seasons straight does deserve to be in the hall of fame. This rebounding definitely contributed to Chicago's championships.

bogdanrom
08-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Whatever. The man played awesome. Give him his due. If he likes to be screwed like a fairy while wearing a wedding dress then that's his business, but on the court he was great.

:puke::puke::puke::puke:

dre1990
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
yes he was won of the best defensive players all time