PDA

View Full Version : What guys in the NBA are suited for playing a secondary star role vs a primary role??

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
What guys in the NBA are suited for playing a secondary star role instead of a primary role??

lakers4sho
08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Pau Gasol.

BowDown32
08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Ron Artest is one.

sulllysized
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Andre Iguodala is a good example.

cubulls
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Luol Deng

FOBolous
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Dwight Howard. He has the "franchise big men" defense and rebounding but he doesn't have "franchise big man" offense to take over the game and carry the team on his back...therefore he needs another all-star with him that has the ability to take over games.

superkegger
08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Just about everyone...Only guys I can't see playing second fiddle at this point are Kobe, Bron, Wade, AI (because he doesn't know how to play any other than the way he does), Paul and Deron.

Otherwise just about any other all star or whatever could be a secondary star. KG, TD, Brand, Amare, nash, parker, Dwight, Pau, Al Jefferson, redd, RJ, etc... I can see all those guys taking a back seat to someone else for wins/benefit of the team etc...Doesn't make em less of a player.

IndyRealist
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
The entire Bulls roster. Put any of their starters, or Ben Gordon, on another team and you'd have that team's second option player. Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Gooden, even Hughes. No one there is capapble of grabbing the reigns of the team. We'll see about Derrick Rose.

Lakersfan2483
08-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Good thread.

My list of players who are second option guys, but keep in mind they are extremely talented.

Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki, he's extremely talented, but would be better suited as a 2nd option
Carlos Boozer
M. Redd
Carmelo Anthony
E. Brand
Chris Bosh (he's a great player, would also be a great 2nd option guy)
Vince Carter

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, neither Allen Iverson or Carmello Anthony, Carlos Boozer, everybody on the Timberwolves, Stephen Jackson, Corey Magette, Chris Kaman, Marcus Camby, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa, Tony Parker, Emmanuel Ginobili, Josh Howard, Yao Ming, Ron Artest, Richard Jefferson, Jermaine O'neal, Jose Calderon, Luol Deng, Mo Williams, T.J. Ford, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Rudy Gay (that's right, OJ's taking over), Jeff Green, David West, Rashard Lewis, Michael Beasley, Shaun Marion, Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, Elton Brand, nobody on the Nets, Jamal Crawford, and Ray Allen are some secondary stars on their current teams that come to mind.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Just about everyone...Only guys I can't see playing second fiddle at this point are Kobe, Bron, Wade, AI (because he doesn't know how to play any other than the way he does), Paul and Deron.

Otherwise just about any other all star or whatever could be a secondary star. KG, TD, Brand, Amare, nash, parker, Dwight, Pau, Al Jefferson, redd, RJ, etc... I can see all those guys taking a back seat to someone else for wins/benefit of the team etc...Doesn't make em less of a player.

How the hell is Duncan a better fit for a secondary star role?

Lakersfan2483
08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
The verdict is still out on whether T-Mac is a true no. 1 option, he has no. 1 option talent.

Lakersfan2483
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
How the hell is Duncan a better fit for a secondary star role?

Agreed, Duncan is clearly a no. 1 option. Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Wade are all examples of clear no. 1 guys.

BowDown32
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

You make a good point, but...

KG and Duncan are built to be primary players. Just because they have Pdouble and Jesus, Ginoboli and Parker doesn't mean they aren't suited to be primary players. They lead their teams mentally and on the floor by example which is what a primary player (leader) should do.

Now I would even put guys like Howard, Bosh and Melo as suited to be primary players because they all have the game to be that primary player for there team. They just havent got there yet. And yes you do need a little help to make your team better, but these 3 guys are suited to be #1. Just like Deron and Paul are suited for this, but they have those secondary role players in Boozer, Okur, Kirilenko, West, Stojakovic and Chandler. These guys arent built to be in a primary role.

Excellent point tho, I see where you are coming from.

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
The verdict is still out on whether T-Mac is a true no. 1 option, he has no. 1 option talent.

Many people in the league have # 1 option talent... but most of them are better suited being a second option.. Tmac is in the same group as Vince and Ai...

Tmac is kind of liek a second option in HOuston too now... It can go either way... but he fits well with YAo....

VInce Tmac and Ai.. would all do great playing with a great big man like.. Yao, shaq, amare, tim duncan, KG..

Just look at Paul Pierce!... I think he Faired well as being the team second option.... It was kind of split.. but Kg was the leader of that team.

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
ANDRE IGUODALA

and he finally is thanks to Mr. Brand

Rome
08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
RJ, Manu, Nash, Dwight, Bosh, Paul P, the bulls, jermaine, Rip, butler, Pau, Boozer, etc.