PDA

View Full Version : Timlin: just mopping up?

knittingmill
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Supplying that veteran presence or taking up a space that could be filled by a young electric arm, i.e. Bard, Bowden?

RedSoxtober
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
As I've argued before, even if Timlin is mopping up he is supplying a valuable service to the team. Those innings that he eats are ones that Papelbon and the rest don't have to pitching, making them available when needed. Every staff needs a guy to do it and he's been doing it pretty well (3.00era, 1.27 whip, 1.53go/ao since the ASG).

Bard is/was very unlikely to get into the pen this season and Bowden was equally a long shot. Bowden has generally taken a while to make adjustments at each level (he makes them well just not immediately) and it's doubtful IMO that he'd jump to MLB after only 40IP at AAA.

In any case, these kids could be added after the weekend whether or not Timlin is on the roster.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I think they get left behind to compete in their own playoffs. Silly to use them unless another injury strikes.

Timlin is a veteran and has been good at ending years.Their comfort level is much higher with him.

Tragedy
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
He's just mopping up, and it's hard to have a real problem with that. We all know Timlin - All it takes is one or two good games, and suddenly he goes on a two week tear. I know this hasn't really happened yet this season, but there is still some hope.

For now, he'll just mop up while the rest of the bullpen continues to do a good job (As I predicted!).

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I think you guys are right. Timlin provides an invaluable veteran presence in the bullpen and does eat up alot of innings. You still use him in a variety of roles, and I don't think he'll be in there in too many super critical situations anyway.

However, after this season...all bets are off. I think I'd rather let Timlin walk, (either contractually or via retirement) and really go out and try to pick up younger, stronger arms. But for right now, stick with him...he's an important member of the bullpen and the larger team in general.

bagwell368
08-28-2008, 10:52 AM
There is no way Timlin continues to pitch for us or anyone after this year. He's done. He's probably one of the 20 best non closer RP of the past 30 years. He was a big cog for us for a few years, but its just over now.

goshhhjosh
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm all for keeping Timlin on the team, there's no need to rush bard or bowden to the big show. Like it has been mentioned Timlin will struggle, but then he looks outstanding for a certain amount of games. He also has experience too. Just don't let Timlin pitch to Giambi again.

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Aside from all that...Timlin's been in quite a few postseasons...he's won 4 World Series. That kind of experience and leadership is invaluable to a team with a lot of youngsters, in a pennant race, and alot of challenges in terms of injuries.

Wake's Fastball
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
As I've argued before, even if Timlin is mopping up he is supplying a valuable service to the team. Those innings that he eats are ones that Papelbon and the rest don't have to pitching, making them available when needed. Every staff needs a guy to do it and he's been doing it pretty well (3.00era, 1.27 whip, 1.53go/ao since the ASG).

Bard is/was very unlikely to get into the pen this season and Bowden was equally a long shot. Bowden has generally taken a while to make adjustments at each level (he makes them well just not immediately) and it's doubtful IMO that he'd jump to MLB after only 40IP at AAA.

In any case, these kids could be added after the weekend whether or not Timlin is on the roster.

Yeah, as you've argued countless times, Timlin, for the umpteenth year in a row, has been brilliant since the ASB. Sure, Tito's lost pretty much all confidence in him in pressure situations, but he's a crucial clubhouse guy, a strong veteran presence in the clubhouse, and he's been remarkably productive the past month and a half to boot.

Crucis
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone's got to do the mopup work in the bullpen. And Timlin provides an important veteran presence in an otherwise young bullpen. (I think that it's hard to count on Okijima for a veteran presence cuz I expect that his command of the language is probably too limited for a "veteran leader".)

And as long as Timlin is pitching pretty decent in his defined role, it's hard to want to dump him.

That said, I do expect that this will be his final season. Here's hoping that he can go out on top.