PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2008-09 Season Predictions

hockeypro68
08-28-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm sure you've seen a thread like this in the NBA forum, but I wanted to see what CLIPPERS fans predict will happen next year in the NBA.

STANDINGS
Regular Season:
West:
1. Lakers
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. Hornets
5. Jazz
6. Suns
7. Mavericks
8. Clippers
9. Blazers
10. Nuggets
11. Warriors

East:
1. Celtics
2. Pistons
3. Cavs
4. Magic
5. 76ers
6. Raptors
7. Wizards
8. Heat
9. Bucks

Now obviously not all of what I'm about to predict is going to happen, but my reason for doing so is to point out the possibility in each category where players on our team can potentially win awards for the season.

MVP: Kobe Bryant
DOP: Marcus Camby
MIP: Al Thornton
6th Man: Ricky Davis
ROY: Eric Gordon

Playoffs:

WEST:
LA Lakers vs LA Clippers: 4-2 Lakers win. In all reality, I think our team is one player away from being a real contender and threat in the West. I think for next season the most realistic hope is just to make the playoffs. From there we can just hope for the best, but the competition out west is serious business.
Houston Rockets vs Dallas Mavericks: 4-1 Houston wins. Charles Barkeley or whoever said it was right when they said the Mavericks window has closed. That and I think the Rockets are going to be Champs next season...
NO Hornets vs Utah Jazz: 4-3 Utah wins. What a great matchup this would be. Chris Paul vs. Deron Williams. Carlos Boozer vs. David West. What a battle. I think the Jazz would come out on top. I look for Williams to improve even further next season (although I know Paul will too, and is already a stud), and Boozer definitely has the better of it versus West if you ask me.
Phx Suns vs SA Spurs: 4-3 SA wins. What a great matchup this would be as well. A rematch from last season's playoffs, where the series began with a thrilling game which was sent to overtime and/or won by Tim Duncan's amazingly clutch 3 pointer. After that game, the spurs took care of the Suns in 5.

HOU Rockets vs SA Spurs: 4-2 Rockets win
LA Lakers vs Utah Jazz: 4-2 Lakers win

LA Lakers vs Houston Rockets: 4-3 Rockets win

EAST:
Boston Celtics vs Miami Heat: 4-1 Boston wins. I do think that the Celtics have peaked, and its all downhill from here, and I also think that the Heat have a lot of firepower with their trio of Wade-Marion-Beasley. Yet, I just cannot see the Heat giving the Celtics much of a fight. They have no depth and no Big man.
Detroit Pistons vs Washington Wizards: 4-3 Wizards win. This may be a bold statement, but I really do think that the Pistons are also way past their prime, and are done being Championship contenders in this league. Also, I see the Wizards being a team that could potentially win a LOT more games than expected. If their impressive trio of Arenas-Jamison-Butler can stay healthy the whole season, they can make a lot of noise. Beating the Pistons is not out of reach.
Toronto Raptors vs Cleveland Cavs: 4-3 Cleveland wins. Look for Lebron and Mo Williams to make quite the 1-2 punch. The cavs got what they've needed for a while now...a good point guard. One who can score, drive, shoot, or dish it. That and Lebron playing his @$$ off next season, I can see the Cavs taking the East if they play well enough.
Philadelphia 76ers vs Orlando Magic: 4-3 Magic win No I'm not just bitter about EB leaving. I'm over that. I'm really liking our team right now, and the shipment of EB will allow our team to run more instead of running the halfcourt offense EB must play in. That and I just think Dwight Howard is going to have a RIDICULOUS year next season. I'm talking Shaq in his prime status. 25/15/4/1/3. He's going to be beastly all year long.

Boston Celtics vs Orlando Magic: 4-3 Boston wins
Cleveland Cavs vs Washington Wizards: 4-2 Cleveland wins

Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs: 4-3 Cavs win

Championship: Cleveland Cavs vs Houston Rockets: 4-2 Rockets win
MVP: Yao Ming

What do you guys think? I know some of the predictions I made are iffy, but a lot of the time I went with who I wanted more in the really close matchups. I couldn't put the Clippers beating the Lakers because..well, I just don't see that happening yet. I recommend you all try doing one of these when you find yourself bored and eager for the NBA Season to start, with nothing better to do.

Cracka2HI!
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Pretty good. Man it would suck if we lost to the Lakers in the 1st Round. I think I might rather miss the playoffs. Hopefully we can finish higher than 7th or 8th and avoid them. I doubt any of our players will win an award and I don't really see Thornton as a contender for MIP. He averaged 17 ppg the last 30 games or so. I don't think he will even average that many this season so I just don't see him up for that award even though he will improve. I would say of the awards Davis and Gordon have the best shot.

illastrate
08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
West standings looks about right, except I think Portland will take Dallas' spot.

A Lakers/Clippers series?!? Oh boy, that would be a dream.

hockeypro68
08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Pretty good. Man it would suck if we lost to the Lakers in the 1st Round. I think I might rather miss the playoffs. Hopefully we can finish higher than 7th or 8th and avoid them. I doubt any of our players will win an award and I don't really see Thornton as a contender for MIP. He averaged 17 ppg the last 30 games or so. I don't think he will even average that many this season so I just don't see him up for that award even though he will improve. I would say of the awards Davis and Gordon have the best shot.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I just don't think we'll finish Any higher than the 6th seed, so in the first round we'll likely be playing Lakers, Rockets, Spurs or Hornets. I honestly would hope most to play the Hornets, but I think theyre going to be 4th or 5th seed next season, so that'd be hard to arrange. Would you really rather miss the playoffs than make a first round exit? The crappy thing is... if we do miss the playoffs, it probably won't be by much, so we won't get many balls for the lottery if we are in it. Oh well, I think we can make a lot of noise next season!

hockeypro68
08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
West standings looks about right, except I think Portland will take Dallas' spot.

A Lakers/Clippers series?!? Oh boy, that would be a dream.

I knowwww!! I was pulling so hard for the lakers to beat phoenix when the clippers had made it to the second round. That would have been AWESOME. Lakers just Had to fudge it all up and lose though.

Cracka2HI!
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but I just don't think we'll finish Any higher than the 6th seed, so in the first round we'll likely be playing Lakers, Rockets, Spurs or Hornets. I honestly would hope most to play the Hornets, but I think theyre going to be 4th or 5th seed next season, so that'd be hard to arrange. Would you really rather miss the playoffs than make a first round exit? The crappy thing is... if we do miss the playoffs, it probably won't be by much, so we won't get many balls for the lottery if we are in it. Oh well, I think we can make a lot of noise next season!

Yea I would. I thought about it since I posted that and I am 100% sure. I would take so much crap if we were to lose to the Lakers that I probably wouldn't end up hating basketball all together. I don't know about you, but 75% of my conversations would be Lakers fans talking **** to me for months after it happened. Now I would rather go to the playoffs and lose against any other team, but if it comes down to the Lakers I think I would just assume miss the playoffs and have a %1.7 chance in the lottery. Now if it were us winning round 1 and losing to them in a later round I would be fine with that.

Cracka2HI!
08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I knowwww!! I was pulling so hard for the lakers to beat phoenix when the clippers had made it to the second round. That would have been AWESOME. Lakers just Had to fudge it all up and lose though.

That year I did want a Clippers/Lakers more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. That year I was sure we could win. This time around I just couldn't have much fun with it...unless we pulled off the miracle upset which you yourself said we have no chance of.

hockeypro68
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
This is true. While playing the lakers would be awesome, it'd also be an earful from my best friends, who also happen to be Huge Laker fans. Nonetheless, I'd LOVE to see that series and I'd welcome that first round exit over the lottery.

I really do think the Clippers are just one trade away from grabbing an allstar caliber player and becoming a serious contender. And with pieces like Camby, Mobley, Thomas, all of which who have 2010 expired contracts and solid veteran play. If a trade does go down, it MUSTN'T include Thornton, Gordon, Kaman, DeAndre, or of course, Baron.

Cracka2HI!
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
^ The problem with me is that it wouldn't really be "friends" that I would be hearing it from. I was in a frat so I have tons of "friends". I am literally the only Clipper fan in the frat. There are about 10-15 so called "friends" of mine that I only hear from when the Lakers beat the Clippers.

dick butane
08-29-2008, 03:22 AM
It all changes this fall when Baron laces it up. Stop thinking about the Lakers place in the world... We are a new Clipper team until someone tells me otherwise. So many new players means we could do anything.

hockeypro68
08-29-2008, 05:59 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. Next year is going to be exciting :rock:

Cracka2HI!
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
True I'm just saying you won't see a Clippers loss to the Lakers in the 1st round in my predicitions. It made me a little sick even typing that just now.

clipsedya
08-29-2008, 04:19 PM
That year I did want a Clippers/Lakers more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. That year I was sure we could win. This time around I just couldn't have much fun with it...unless we pulled off the miracle upset which you yourself said we have no chance of.-WTF??!!!

This is true. While playing the lakers would be awesome, it'd also be an earful from my best friends, who also happen to be Huge Laker fans. Nonetheless, I'd LOVE to see that series and I'd welcome that first round exit over the lottery.-Who wants a first round exit??!!!

You guys are a mess!! This season hasn't even started yet and you are already on the Lakers rocks! It's gonna be a good rivalry, so pull it together!!

hockeypro68
08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
lol, I think its going to be a GREAT rivalry, fueled up on night 2 of the season when the Clippers beat the Lakers. I obviously don't WANT a first round exit, but I couldn't bring myself to predicting we'd beat the Lakers in the playoffs just yet.

clipsedya
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
^Understood, you have clipperitis.........keeps us from getting too hopeful at any given time. Don't lose faith though, things fell into place over the offseason. Now it's just up to the players.

hockeypro68
08-29-2008, 11:29 PM

I also think that Portland has a good chance of making the Playoffs next season, as much as I don't want them to. The race for the playoffs its going to be ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if three teams ended up with the same record, fighting for that 8th seed. As much of a tragedy as it is, I think Monta Ellis' injury will put the Warriors into a hole they can't win themselves out of... I think we can rule them out of playoff contention. Nuggets and Blazers are going to be our biggest competition, but I can also see Dallas potentially missing the playoffs if something goes wrong, or they just can't compete with all the improved teams in the NBA.

kylem4711
08-30-2008, 01:02 AM
portland could have been really good, but roy got hurt. i think everything depends on him

hockeypro68
09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
What injury are you referring to? I'm pretty sure Roy will be at 100% to start the season.

don'tfireNedCo
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
hey cracka can you merge NOMERCYCLIPPER's thread with this?

we got waaaaayyy too many same threads...