PDA

View Full Version : Post-Olympics: What’s the future of Greece?

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 01:51 AM
Source: Ball in Europe (http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/after-the-olympics-whats-the-future-of-greece/)

The Olympic Games 2008 are history but the next basketball events for the national teams are just around the corner: Eurobasket 2009, World Championships 2010 and of course London 2012. BallinEurope.com takes a look at the current situation of the Olympic participants from Europe and gives an outlook into their future. To start, we are analyzing the situation in Greece.

The team of coach Giannakis finished the tournament in the quarter-finals and landed on an official 5th place in Beijing. The defeat against Argentina was short and a semi-final with an possible Olympic Medal was just one Spanoulis three pointer away. So what does the future look like for the Blues?

When you check the roster, you see that the squad is stacked with a nice number of players for the future. You may think, that the Greek team is old, but the roster only features one player that is over 30 years old: Theodoros Papaloukas. The coaches have managed to integrate players who will be in their prime in London 2012. The 84-85 generation (Vassilopoulos, Vasileiadis, Perperoglou, Schortsanitis, Printezis) has reached interesting results on the Youth level (EC U18 Bronze Medal in 2002; EC U20 4th place in 2004) and is ready to take over the lead in the team right now. Unfortunately, the case of Big Sofo is of course still not solved and he seems to be on a decisive point for the future of his NT ambitions.

The problem is that there is some kind of gap between these guys and the next successful generation which is composed of the 1989-90 born players. Kosta Koufos, Nikkos Pappas and Kostas Sloukas are at the head of this group that we could see with the Seniors within the next years. While the big Ohio State Alumni will play his first games in the NBA in the upcoming season, the two guards are maybe not as close to enter the Senior roster so far. But the possibility of a London 2012 back court composed of Pappas and Sloukas (both being 22 then) together with Spanoulis (30) and Zisis (29) is there. And then, nobody knows yet about the future in the NT of Theo Papaloukas who would (only) be 35 in London.

On the front-court, the addition of Koufos is possible as soon as for the Eurobasket 2009. The advantage is that most of the key players inside have still a few year to come and London 2012 is definitely a goal for them. I speak of course of Antonis Fotsis who is born in 1981 and who will remain a key contributor in the next years. He could see some support from the highly talented Vladimir Jankovic who unfortunately missed his U18 tournament this summer after getting injured during the group phase.

And finally, there is of course Dimitris Diamantidis. The all-around guard of Panathinaikos is born in 1980 and being only a late bloomer, the chances for him to be the key guy in 2012 are big. If you add this all up, the possible roster for the Greek NT during the London Olympics would be the following.

Guards: Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Zisis, Sloukas, Papaloukas, Perperoglou

Forwards: Vassilopoulos, Printezis, Fotsis, Jankovic

Centers: Koufos, Bouroussis

LAcowBOMBER
08-28-2008, 02:27 AM
I feel like you aren't gona get many responses here. Whta do you want us to say? This should be in th FIBA forum where people will know what this means

cambovenzi
08-28-2008, 02:29 AM
maybe they can use childress next time ;)

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 02:54 AM
I feel like you aren't gona get many responses here. Whta do you want us to say? This should be in th FIBA forum where people will know what this means

it has more to do with the Olympics than it does with FIBA

in a manner of speaking

and if this gets moved, I am going to demand every damn basketball thread in this forum get moved as well

cambovenzi
08-28-2008, 03:28 AM
it has more to do with the Olympics than it does with FIBA

in a manner of speaking

and if this gets moved, I am going to demand every damn basketball thread in this forum get moved as well

really?
cuz i think it has alot more to do w/ the future of greece, the greece team, and the players.
also the majority of olympic posters couldnt tell you who 3 of those greeks are. in the FIBA forum it might be a little different.

JWalk126
08-28-2008, 04:54 AM
the thread is about the Greek team for the 2012 olympics

I for one, barely know anything about Greece

besides, JW? and grkmaster are more likely to see it here

they claim to be Greek