PDA

View Full Version : Do you Think Dream Team was the best roster Possible?.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Ok this was the roster:

PG: Magic, Stockton.

SG: Jordan, Drexler.

SF:Bird, Pippen, Mullin.

PF: Malone, Barkley, "Laettner"

C:Ewing, Robinson.

Ok we know that there was a place reserved for a Ncaa Player, i think it should have been Shaq......

But the others.....

People left Out.

Akeem Olajuwon,Mchale ,James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Joe Dumars, Isiah Thomas-

I heard somewhere that Jordan did menace Usa Team that if Pippen was not in the roster he wouldnt Play.

He also said that he didnt want any Piston in the team , Specially Thomas, since he had a personal hatred for Him.

So , do you think they Displayed the best roster Possible?

In my Opinion it Should have Looked Like this:

Starters: Magic, Jordan, Bird, Malone, Ewing.

Reserves:Thomas,Drexler, Dominique,Barkley,Akeem.

Rookie : Shaq.

Last Spot: Worthy.

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Ok this was the roster:

Ok we know that there was a place reserved for a Ncaa Player, i think it should have been Shaq......

But the others.....

People left Out.

Akeem Olajuwon,Mchale ,James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Joe Dumars, Isiah Thomas-

I heard somewhere that Jordan did menace Usa Team that if Pippen was not in the roster he wouldnt Play.

He also said that he didnt want any Piston in the team , Specially Thomas, since he had a personal hatred for Him.

So , do you think they Displayed the best roster Possible?

Hakeem wasn't a citizen at the time that is why he wasn't on the team. Dominique was better than Mullin. Isiah was about as good as Stockton, but they needed balance. They need some outside shooting thus Mullin and Stockton were on the team as well.

Max Power
08-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Shaq, definately, should have made it over Stiff Laettner. Worthy was finished at the time and probably wasn't better than any of the forwards who made it anyway. Besides Laettner.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Well, Magic was "Done" (Retired)

Bird was "Done" ( A lot of Back Spasms)

But still they were there to represent the 80s, as the best decade ever in Basket.

cahawk
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Laettner over Shaq was crazy but otherwise I like the team as was.
But you were right, Bird & Magic were over the hill but they still were awesome. There were some good players left out but all in all it was a pretty well chosen team.
And as to Jordan, I know Isah was jealous of him and conspired to freeze him out of the all-star game, but I don't know how Jordan felt about Isah.

pcone78
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Laettner over Shaq was crazy but otherwise I like the team as was.
But you were right, Bird & Magic were over the hill but they still were awesome. There were some good players left out but all in all it was a pretty well chosen team.
And as to Jordan, I know Isah was jealous of him and conspired to freeze him out of the all-star game, but I don't know how Jordan felt about Isah.

Was Shaq over Laettner that bad of a decision at the time? Was that Laettners first year?

Mile High Champ
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Isiah Thomas did say he would never play on the dream team if Jordan was on it... so yeah thats why he aint there.

Tom81
08-28-2008, 10:19 AM
yeah I will just replace Laettner ,shaq i think.

Max Power
08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, Magic was "Done" (Retired)

Bird was "Done" ( A lot of Back Spasms)

But still they were there to represent the 80s, as the best decade ever in Basket.

Yes. But they were multiple MVP winners, two of the biggest names in league history, and baskeball legends in every sense of the word. Worthy was none of those things.

superkegger
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
The reasons Nique wasn't on it, is because he had been injured the previous season, pretty badly too, don't remember what, but it was a season ending one...

IndyRealist
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Shaq, definately, should have made it over Stiff Laettner. Worthy was finished at the time and probably wasn't better than any of the forwards who made it anyway. Besides Laettner.

Didn't Laettner lead Duke to a national championship that year? He was the best college player on the best college team, at the time. 22.5ppg, 7.9rpg, 37-3 overall record. Grant Hill was on that team, too. How did LSU do that year?

lakers4sho
08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Some people said that they were trying to balance white and black guys. That's why they got Mullin instead of somebody like Reggie Miller.

Not sure if it's true though :shrug:

ewing
08-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Didn't Laettner lead Duke to a national championship that year? He was the best college player on the best college team, at the time. 22.5ppg, 7.9rpg, 37-3 overall record. Grant Hill was on that team, too. How did LSU do that year?

Laettner was a great college player and a decent role player in the league but everyone knew at that time that Shaq was a dominate force and would be a much better player in the league. In 92 Duke mania was at its hieght and there poster boy got rewarded even though he was not the best choice

Lakersfan2483
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
It was a great roster, but Mullin could have been left off in favor of Nique. Why was Laetner on the team? That spot should have gone to Shaq and or another guard: Isaiah Thomas. It was ridiculous that Isaiah was not on the team.

Mr Wonderful
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Some of you all are morons, if Magic was "over the hill" in 1992, I guess you'll also say someone who averaged 19ppg and 11apg the previous year played weak competition. Sad

IndyRealist
08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Of course everyone knew Shaq would be dominant, that's why he was selected #1, and Laettner #3. But at that time Laettner was the best college player in basketball, and had just come off a national title.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I would have kept most of the same roster, replacing two players. Dominique Wilkins would replace Chris Mullin at small forward, and Hakeem Olajuwon would replace Laettner at power forward.
On a separate note, Michael Jordan's, like all other player's demands, should have been completely ignored. It is by mere coincidence that the Pistons Duo of Thomas and Dumars would not have been the best choice. John Stockton is better at point guard, as is Drexler at shooting guard.

IndyRealist
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Aparrently people don't remember '92 very well. A spot was held in reserve for a college player.

Everyone knew Shaq would be dominant eventually, but he wasn't then. He had glaring holes in his game. Laettner was the best college player on the best college team, and a national champion in '92. Say what you want about his NBA career, in '92 Laettner was a good choice. Period. Mullin averaged 25.9ppg in 91-92, and had averaged 25+ for five years running. Mullin shot 50%+ from the field for six straight years up to that point. He was a better pure shooter than Nique, and they needed another shooter besides Bird. Having Wilkins on the team would run into the same problems the US team had in later years, inability to shoot over the zone.

MELO 15
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Ok this was the roster:

But the others.....

People left Out.

For U to say that Pippen should'nt have been on this team for it to be the best dream team ever, has no credebility to me, Pippen was the best all around player during that time, and I mean on both sides of the court, and U leaving his name out is a travisty, So I think U should rethink that list, give respect where its do.

DC Laker
08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Was Shaq over Laettner that bad of a decision at the time? Was that Laettners first year?

I was 100% for the pick of Christian L and NOT Shaq.

Remember that whoever got picked was going to sit the bench anyway, and his contribution made ZERO difference!!!

Laettner was arguably one of the top 5 college basketball players EVER!!! Now you can argue that if you want, but the guy held TONS of records... championships, multiple game winning tourney shots... and a top notch winning percentage.

Even with Shaq holding promise as a pro... Laettner earned that spot and I have no trouble with the pick at all...

Remember that Olympics was before either ever played one game as a pro!

DC Laker
08-28-2008, 01:44 PM
CAN PEOPLE STOP SAYING MAGIC WAS OVER THE HILL IN 1992?!?!?!

He was ONLY 33 and had just played in the finals against Jordan one year earlier, and put up
19 points 12 assists and 7 rebounds a game... for the season and in the play-offs that year
22 points 12 assists and 8 rebounds a game

Actually almost 4 years AFTER THE DREAM TEAM HE STILL PUT UP 15 points 7 rebounds & 6 assists in the NBA... Doesn't sound washed up to me?!?!?

The guy was still one of the best 5 basketball players on the planet in 1992 NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!! HE WAS SECOND IN THE NBA MVP VOTE TO MICHAEL JORDAN IN '91!!!

Please stop the insanity.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Isiah Thomas did say he would never play on the dream team if Jordan was on it... so yeah thats why he aint there.

Care to show a legitimate link to this quote?

Most the rumors have it the opposite way.

Hellcrooner
08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Magic/Stockton

Jordan/Drexler

Bird/WORTHY ( who by the way is a league big name and a all time 50)

Malone/Barkley/MCHALE (People underate this guy big time).

Ewing/Hakeem/ Shaq.

ANd come on Pippen in that team was a JOKE he was there just to please " god".

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
yeah I will just replace Laettner ,shaq i think.

Agree.

MELO 15
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Magic/Stockton

Jordan/Drexler

Ewing/Hakeem/ Shaq.

My friend you know nothing about the game of basketball, is there a forum for golf or tennis, cause thats where you should post. MJ wanted pippen to be there because he knew what he would bring. And if u think pippen was a joke, the u trully know nothing about the game

JordansBulls
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Magic/Stockton

Jordan/Drexler

Ewing/Hakeem/ Shaq.

Jordan wanted him on the team instead of Dominique.

op12
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
mullin deserved it. he is underated and should have been in the nba top 50 on their anniversary over shaq. obviously shaq should be there now over him, but that list was made right as shaq became a laker, he wasnt there yet. with that being said, i can understand the arguement for worthy and i would take him over nique. as much as i like mchale you could not take out robinson for him. the only change would be leattner, but at that time he was awesome.

Pippenfan
08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
For U to say that Pippen should'nt have been on this team for it to be the best dream team ever, has no credebility to me, Pippen was the best all around player during that time, and I mean on both sides of the court, and U leaving his name out is a travisty, So I think U should rethink that list, give respect where its do.

very true!

Pippenfan
08-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Magic/Stockton

Jordan/Drexler

Ewing/Hakeem/ Shaq.

Pippen made Worthy look like garbage, especially at this point in their careers.

hockeypro68
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I think if there were some way to MIX rosters, we could make the best team possible ever, of all time, God damn. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, cp3, Wade, Lebron, Pippen, Barkeley, Robinson, Ewing, Boozer, Howard... jesus christ.

Max Power
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Pippen made Worthy look like garbage, especially at this point in their careers.

Pipen was, easily, the better player at the time, and probably had a better career.

Worthy was great at catching Magic's passes and dunking one handed, But he couldn't create his own opportunities, run an offense, or guard anyone worth a lick.

Hellcrooner
08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Worhty was calling the shots ant Norht Carolina while Jordan was playing Second Banana.

Worthy Was the KEY man in the last two Lakers Champions of the Time.

Worhty was the only reason lakers still made the playoofs 2 of 3 years after Magic had to retire.

On and he was a bad overtime away from singlehandedly take the Hyped and Loaded of Talent Barkley Suns.

DC Laker
08-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I think if there were some way to MIX rosters, we could make the best team possible ever, of all time, God damn. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, cp3, Wade, Lebron, Pippen, Barkeley, Robinson, Ewing, Boozer, Howard... jesus christ.

Seriously, I know you were just listing names... but an "ALL TIME TEAM" with Boozer??? That had to be a typo???

Barkley, McHale, K. Malone, Tim Duncan or Lebron at moments... those are the power forwards... thats the list. Boozer was not even seeing the floor in China with this team.

_Sn1P3r_
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree. He's still a good player and everything but if he didn't see any time with the Redeem Team, you can't expect him to see minutes with the Dream Team.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-28-2008, 10:37 PM
ONLY current players that would make it into the dream team would be Beasley ( Ncaa spot) Kobe for Drexler and Tim Duncan for Mullin.