PDA

View Full Version : How important are the playoff standings?

lukeem21
08-28-2008, 12:16 AM
It is nice to have home court advantage, but I think there is way too much emphasis being put on where the Raptors and other teams will finish in the standings.... more important then that will be how they match up with the other teams in the playoffs.

Everyone knows the Raptors would be significantly worse if JO goes down for a long stretch but if he is healthy for the playoffs does hat mean they are as bad as their position?!

Every team is an injury away from dropping multiple positions in the standings, the main thing that will determine who wins the east is how each team matches up with their playoff roster.

So more important then the standings is the team to team matchup.

I'm gonna look at one:

Phily... who seems to be a very possible first round matchup

On O i love the way Toronto matches up with Philly

Dalembert is their best defender... but he can only guard one of Bosh or JO, I think he will be on Bosh, since Brand would get abused by Bosh being undersized and much slower.... With Dalembert guarding Bosh it takes away a lot of his help side since leaving Bosh open anywhere within 18 feet does not usually go so well.

Then brand will be guarding JO... JO has a definite advantage here, he should be able to easily shoot over Brand unless brand comes right in his face then JO should be able to go around him easily, he is less mobile then bosh but still a lot quicker then Brand

With moon on the floor whoever is guarding him should be able to double down without getting burned too often... toronto could try counteracting this but running the JO on the opposite side of Moon and running the offense through the JO brand matchup... letting Moon and Bosh run a little two man game on the weak side looking for Bosh to get a little room on dalembert bringing him out of the post and moon flashing back door

neither parker nor calderon have big advantages on their defenders too expolit but they should both do what is asked of them hit their open shots and make their men pay if they look to help out in the post

IMO Toronto's success will rely on exploiting their quickness advantage in the post.. moreso against Brand but it is still true vs Dalembert

On defense Philly has two big men who IMO do not matchup well against Toronto.... Dalembert is not very strong with the ball but will make you pay if you leave him open around the rim... brand i think will have problems against JO, JO being a lot more athletic and taller should counteract a slight stength advantage Brand might have although they weigh close to the same and brand appears to be carrying more baby fat then JO

Moon and Parker will be the key to Toronto's defense.. if Moon matches up against Young then Moon needs to improve on his man to man defense from last year and hold his own against Young without asking for too much help defense cause if JO or Bosh leave their man Phily will get easy baskets.... Parker needs to keep Iggy infront of him and get a hand in on shots being enough of a nuisance to prevent easy looks but again NOT get burned by him asking for JO and Bosh to bail him out

Philly lacks any great perimeter shooters so if Toronto can keep their men infront of them prevent penetration then they should be able to deal with Brand in the post... the lack of perimeter shooting also alows a chance for Moon to help out a little in the post, one or two blocks from him could make a huge difference giving Brand just another man to keep in mind while he is plugging away in the post

I think Toronto has a definite advantage in a head to head matchup.... but this could easily turn if Moon stuggles with man to man defense and if Parker slows down much

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Good post but I think you are severely underrating Brand.

lukeem21
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Brand is 6'8 without much of a vertical... JO is 6'11 and a lot more athletic without giving up any weight... I know Brand was and probably still is an all-star caliber player.... i just think JO has the tools to really slow him down and give him fits while Philly does not have anyone that will burn the raptors from the outside if the flash double teams down...

throw in the fact that he did not even play 10 games last year and his mobility might be even more diminished

personally I like the way toronto matches up against Philly.... I'm not saying we are a better team, that will probably be decided by Injuries... I'm saying I would put money on the raps if they had a best of 7 series, each team with a healthy roster

RapsFan4Life
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
cool post but i think you should look at the sixers side of it instead of just the raps and elton has a great body to box out JO and keep him away from the rim, since JO and Bosh are both quicker i think Sammy and Elton will be in foul trouble ALOT
Iggy should be able to do alot of damage in this series and i think Elton will be able to hold his own against JO but not against Bosh<< unguardable :)

but both these teams have to rely on their stars not getting hurt which is big concidering they have hurt-able-stars

raps in 5 !!!!!!!!

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Brand is 6'8 without much of a vertical... JO is 6'11 and a lot more athletic without giving up any weight...

Your forgetting the part where your supposed to say that Brand has like a 9 foot wingspan :) I also wouldnt say Oneal is a lot more athletic.

throw in the fact that he did not even play 10 games last year and his mobility might be even more diminished

Thats true but he played those games at the end of the season and proved he was healthy by averaging major minutes and scoring 18 PPG. Also, your talking like his mobility has always been a problem, the guy is very athletic, dont let his body fool you. Im more worried about Oneal being healthy then Brand.

personally I like the way toronto matches up against Philly.... I'm not saying we are a better team, that will probably be decided by Injuries... I'm saying I would put money on the raps if they had a best of 7 series, each team with a healthy roster

I want to agree with you but I just dont like the problems Iggy and Miller would cause. I want to see if Parker slips anymore on the defensive side of the ball and if Jamario and Jose can improve a little on there man to man coverage. If Jose can get up to below average on the D side I will be happy.