PDA

View Full Version : A chance to play Sam...

deaner
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Since we have some time to kill before the start of the season, I thought it would be good to hear from others on their approach to specific upcoming games. We've all played "BC" up to this point but now the roster is complete. (like it or not)

Looking forward, with our current roster, pick a team and write who you would start for the raps and who would be on your second unit.

I'll pick Orlando:

1st:
Jose J Nelson
Adams M Pietrus
Bargs R Lewis
Bosh H Turkoglu
JO D Howard

2nd:
Ukic A Johnson
Parker K Bogans
Kapono B Cook
Hump T Battie
Jawaii M Gortat

basically I'm using Bargs height to cover Lewis... and Parker on the second for unit stability, scoring option, and leadership.

I used http://www.sportsline.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/ORL for the depth chart. It has it flaws... but....

My hope from this is two fold.
1. members will realize the raps depth issues are really not that bad.
2. using specific references, we can debate how the 2 and 3 spots can be used (since we don't have obvious starters) against different teams

I don't think many here will debate the starting PG, PF or C positions.

Teams I'd love to hear about specifically would be: Boston, Philly, Clev, Chicago, Lakers, or Miami...

_Sn1P3r_
08-27-2008, 10:00 PM
The website is pretty interesting.

JermanJaysFan
08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Since we have some time to kill before the start of the season, I thought it would be good to hear from others on their approach to specific upcoming games. We've all played "BC" up to this point but now the roster is complete. (like it or not)

Looking forward, with our current roster, pick a team and write who you would start for the raps and who would be on your second unit.

I'll pick Orlando:

1st:
Jose J Nelson
Adams M Pietrus
Bargs R Lewis
Bosh H Turkoglu
JO D Howard

2nd:
Ukic A Johnson
Parker K Bogans
Kapono B Cook
Hump T Battie
Jawaii M Gortat

basically I'm using Bargs height to cover Lewis... and Parker on the second for unit stability, scoring option, and leadership.

I used http://www.sportsline.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/ORL for the depth chart. It has it flaws... but....

2. using specific references, we can debate how the 2 and 3 spots can be used (since we don't have obvious starters) against different teams

Teams I'd love to hear about specifically would be: Boston, Philly, Clev, Chicago, Lakers, or Miami...

Against Orlando, I would go with the conventional line-up:

Jose v. Nelson
Parker v. Pietrus
Moon v. Hedo
Bosh v. Lewis
O'Neal v. Dwight

I think that is is pointless to match-up the second unit, becuase I hardly imagine that a complete unit switch is likely in a game like this.

Moon's length matches up well with either Hedo or Lewis, and he is more able to stop the scoring abilites of either of these guys than Bargs is. I would rather give considerable time to a Bargs/Bosh big man combo in this game, and watch Dwight try to guard one of those two.

For some of the others that you mention:

Philly
Jose v. Miller
Parker v. Iggy
Moon v. Thad Young
Bosh v. Brand
O'Neal v. Dalembert

I don't like the PG match-up-Jose is liable to get abused by Andre and his superior strength. Likewise, Brand likely has the post advantage on Bosh here- we may need to double off Dalembert, or switch the heftier O'Neal onto Brand and Bosh onto the less explosive Dalembert. Also, Parker, while he is a smart vet, may not be able to keep up with Iggy. Moon's length could come in handy guarding Iggy.

Cleveland

Jose v. Williams
Parker v. Sczerbiak
Moon v. Lebron
Bosh v. Wallace
O'Neal v. Illgauskas

Raps have the huge front court advantage here. Wallace is far from his shut-down defensive days, and while Big Z's height can be a bit troublesome, he'r not really going to slow down Jermaine or CB4. On the other end, Wallace is a nonfactor and Big Z should probably be contained fairly easily by Bosh/JO.

I think my strategy here is- contain the team, let Lebron try to beat you. I think Jamario can stay in front of Lebron, keep a hand in his face and keep him somewhat towards the perimeter, which is really the best that you can hope for. Parker should be able to keep Wally in check so far as not letting him have too many open looks. Jose probably doesn't have the stuff to stop Mo, and may require some help from AP in this department. Jose is the superior distibutor on the other end though.

marvILLous
08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I would prefer Bosh to guard Lewis and Bargs on Hedo, but prefer moon on hedo lol

marvILLous
08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Cleveland

Jose v. Williams
Parker v. Sczerbiak
Moon v. Lebron
Bosh v. Wallace
O'Neal v. Illgauskas

Actually, i like the strategy last year. parker on lebron and let moon be the help defender since hes so good at that. would be more effect imo

JermanJaysFan
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually, i like the strategy last year. parker on lebron and let moon be the help defender since hes so good at that. would be more effect imo

I am kind of hoping that Moon's bulking up this offseason helps make him a better man defender for this kind of match-up, but Parker on 'Bron could work too.

deaner
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I am kind of hoping that Moon's bulking up this offseason helps make him a better man defender for this kind of match-up, but Parker on 'Bron could work too.

It's too early to prove, but I really think Adams will shine on the D end... against LBJ or Kobe.... I might start both Moon and Adams if the big tandem is working offensively. Bosh, JO, Adams, and Moon if together will really shut teams down. IMHO

BTW, nice analysis JermanJaysfan

star
08-28-2008, 10:44 AM

I'll pick Orlando:

1st:
Jose J Nelson
Adams M Pietrus
Bargs R Lewis
Bosh H Turkoglu
JO D Howard

2nd:
Ukic A Johnson
Parker K Bogans
Kapono B Cook
Hump T Battie
Jawaii M Gortat

umm last time bargs tried to gaurd lewis raps got tourched ... dont you remeber that?

star
08-28-2008, 10:46 AM
The problem with this is that playing SAM is silly cause SAM doesnt know what he is doing.

We do not have more than 2 decent 1 on 1 defenders ... NONE of our backcourt and wings can gaurd their own man. SO you need a zone. SAM cannot coach a zone cause he doesnt know what one is. Therefore no use.

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
umm last time bargs tried to gaurd lewis raps got tourched ... dont you remeber that?

Just about to say that. The guy is not a SF and never will be.

pebloemer
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

I was so livid at the coaching in that series...

Master P
08-28-2008, 01:28 PM
adams will not start for the raptors unless 2 of the 3 (parker, moon, kapono) gets injured. even then, graham might get the job.

Tom Stone
08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I was so livid at the coaching in that series...

That's not really fair....Rashard Lewis, is an allstar and great defenders go at him each night and he gets his... thats what allstars do, all you can hope to do is contain.

Tom Stone
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Just about to say that. The guy is not a SF and never will be.

He's not a small forward he'll never be.......Me and you seem to disagree with everything......He'd played small forward his whole life, Impressed people playing that position, leading his team to a champion ship over seas as a 19 year old.....Goes #1 in the NBA draft at SF ......as a rookie scores over 13 points a game 4 rebounds and 3 assists......To say he can't play SF, is insane......As a defender he can play way off people because of his height and force them to shoot and just get a hand up.....teams that live and die by shooting are pathetic and that's what they would be doing, if we went three 7 footers to start....not to mention he really young and still improving, he'll get better at defence each year.

deaner
08-28-2008, 06:59 PM

I do remember. From where I was sitting the team lost. Howard to nelson out-played us. It wasn't bargs that lost the series. Hopefully with jo we not have use help d as much and can focus on the man.

Btw. The only one that didn't get torched was joey. For obvious reasons.

deaner
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
The problem with this is that playing SAM is silly cause SAM doesnt know what he is doing.

We do not have more than 2 decent 1 on 1 defenders ... NONE of our backcourt and wings can gaurd their own man. SO you need a zone. SAM cannot coach a zone cause he doesnt know what one is. Therefore no use.

Sorry star, ishould have never said "play". star would you like to kill puppies with Sam?

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
He's not a small forward he'll never be.......Me and you seem to disagree with everything......He'd played small forward his whole life, Impressed people playing that position, leading his team to a champion ship over seas as a 19 year old.....Goes #1 in the NBA draft at SF ......as a rookie scores over 13 points a game 4 rebounds and 3 assists......To say he can't play SF, is insane......As a defender he can play way off people because of his height and force them to shoot and just get a hand up.....teams that live and die by shooting are pathetic and that's what they would be doing, if we went three 7 footers to start....not to mention he really young and still improving, he'll get better at defence each year.

So many things wrong with your post I dont know where to start.

1) Playing SF in Europe is a lot different from going up against James, R.J., Deng, Josh Smith, Pierce, Gerald Wallace, Josh Howard, Carmelo, Prince, Artest, Granger, Durant, Iggy, Butler and so on. If you honestly think he can guard those players and not look like an idiot then I dont know what to say. The guy would be in foul trouble after 2 minutes. He has proven numerous times that he cant guard anyone that isnt some scrub on the perimeter.

2) Link me to when he was leading his team to a championship as a 19 year old.

3) He wasnt drafted as a SF. He was drafted as a C.

4) Over 13 PPG and over 4 RPG and 3 assists? WTF are you talking about. More like 11.6, 3.9 and .8 with a 42% shooting percentage.

5) He wont be able to just stay back and force the player to shoot because in transition he wont be able to keep up and as Hedu and Lewis proved in the playoffs, they will still be able to drive and kick on him all day.

For a guru you sure have a habit of not knowing what your talking about a lot.

JermanJaysFan
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM

1) Playing SF in Europe is a lot different from going up against James, R.J., Deng, Josh Smith, Pierce, Gerald Wallace, Josh Howard, Carmelo, Prince, Artest, Granger, Durant, Iggy, Butler and so on. If you honestly think he can guard those players and not look like an idiot then I dont know what to say. The guy would be in foul trouble after 2 minutes. He has proven numerous times that he cant guard anyone that isnt some scrub on the perimeter.
Very true, no way that Andrea Bargnani can guard those guys. That doesn't mean that a switch on D isn't possible, although probably unlikely with the Raptors relatively low stock of versatile wing defenders.

Also, many successful NBA players are pylons on D. See: Stoudemire, Amare.

[In 05/06] he averaged 15.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 1.8 steals in 47 games for Benetton.[1] He posted a season high of 25 points against Rome. He also shot .528 from the field and .408 from three-point range, and led the Lega A in blocks with 82. In the process, he helped lead Benetton to Italy's Lega A 2006 championship.
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Bargnani)

That's debatable. He was drafted to be a C, sure, but most would say that he was really a SF at that point in time.

4) Over 13 PPG and over 4 RPG and 3 assists? WTF are you talking about. More like 11.6, 3.9 and .8 with a 42% shooting percentage.
He is probably citing his post-allstar boom in the rookie year, when he averaged 14.9/5.6.

5) He wont be able to just stay back and force the player to shoot because in transition he wont be able to keep up and as Hedu and Lewis proved in the playoffs, they will still be able to drive and kick on him all day.
See my other comments about defense.

star
08-29-2008, 07:48 AM

your logic that a 7 footer just has to play off and get a hand up is faulty.

Andrea cannot and will never be able to play SF on defence in a man to man scheme. Unless a zone is implamented to hide his horrific lateral speed and basketball IQ he will get owned by guys like RJ, Maggette, Wallace, etc ... they could out run him walking.

Tom Stone
08-29-2008, 08:59 AM

For a guru you sure have a habit of not knowing what your talking about a lot.

First playing overseas is tougher than you think,... what you didn't watch the championships overseas....that doesn't suprise me......Oh and he did get drafted as a small forward....with the hope he'll turn into a tough match up Center....but he was drafted playing the Small forward......If you don't know that, that's rough.....Every small forward has trouble gaudring those guys at SF, there tough match-ups....that doesn't really say much.....Im not saying hes going to shut people down, but it wouldn't be as bad, as you seem to think.......On a personal note....Im done writing in the fourms, this will be my last post, theres one good comment for every 30.....and it can give me a headake arguing with you fools.....Once the season plays out, ill check in from time to time, to settle past arguments.......But the truth is 90% of the people in these fourms are fools....and you don't derserve my opnion......Peace

pebloemer
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
That's not really fair....Rashard Lewis, is an allstar and great defenders go at him each night and he gets his... thats what allstars do, all you can hope to do is contain.

Well my comment was more of a general statement. We had played Orlando so well in the regular season with Moon in the starting lineup and Bargnani coming off the bench. Then, first game in the playoffs Bargnani starts in place of Moon and we lose so much on defense.

The lineup through April was Ford, Parker, Moon, Bosh and Rasho. Rasho was playing fantastic ball straight through to the end of the season. Moon was playing very well and the Raptors were finally getting back into the rhythm of things after Jose volunteered to come off the bench. The team won 4 of its last 6 games, the losses coming against Detroit and Chicago (our last game of the year, starters played reduced minutes).

Playoffs begin and Mitchell puts Bargnani in for Moon at SF and defense is once again atrocious. Third game, Mitchell puts Moon back in and Moon has his game of the series with 11 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assist 1 stl and 1 block. He shot 5-9 from the floor with only one turnover - that is a great game from a role player.

The problem was that Sam replaced Rasho for Bargnani in the process.

Lets compare numbers for the series:

Game One:
Rasho starts - 36 min, 16 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assist 1 blck, 8/15 shooting
Bargnani starts - 28 min, 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 stl, 2/8 shooting

Game Two:
Rasho starts: 5 min, 2 pts (why 5 minutes after such a good game 1?)
Bargnani starts: 18 min, 9 pts, 4 fouls

The rest of the series Nesterovic got minimal minutes off the bench. Why would you give him 36 minutes the first game, and after he excels just stop playing him? Why would you ruin the chemistry which your team is finally getting back by making changes to the lineup for game 1 when the lineup that starting throughout the year caused plenty of problems for Orlando? If you wanted to give Bargnani experience, I think that is the stupidest move ever. Wouldn't it be more important to give the whole team more experience by trying to get out of the first round?

I think those are pretty fair reasons why I was frustrated by the coaching.

First playing overseas is tougher than you think,... what you didn't watch the championships overseas....that doesn't suprise me......Oh and he did get drafted as a small forward....with the hope he'll turn into a tough match up Center....but he was drafted playing the Small forward......If you don't know that, that's rough.....Every small forward has trouble gaudring those guys at SF, there tough match-ups....that doesn't really say much.....Im not saying hes going to shut people down, but it wouldn't be as bad, as you seem to think.......On a personal note....Im done writing in the fourms, this will be my last post, theres one good comment for every 30.....and it can give me a headake arguing with you fools.....Once the season plays out, ill check in from time to time, to settle past arguments.......But the truth is 90% of the people in these fourms are fools....and you don't derserve my opnion......Peace

Way to leave on a positive note.

"normally when I'm right, I take the high road, and don't rub it in peoples faces"

I would think the high road here would to be thanking the PSD posters for their time and discussions with you and not call 90% of them fools.

The Wise 1
08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Very true, no way that Andrea Bargnani can guard those guys. That doesn't mean that a switch on D isn't possible, although probably unlikely with the Raptors relatively low stock of versatile wing defenders.

Also, many successful NBA players are pylons on D. See: Stoudemire, Amare.

See my other comments about defense.

Yes a switch is possible but then he would have to be guarding shooting guards and chasing them through screens. It would be just as bad. There is no bigman that can guard perimeter players and not get in foul trouble or be exposed. garnett is probably the best perimeter bigman defender and even he would be exposed and he is 100 times better then Andrea. Amare is one of the most prolific scorers in the game. Andrea is nowhere near that level. Show me a player who scored 10 PPG and shot a horrible percentage that cant play D and has/had a successful career.

your logic that a 7 footer just has to play off and get a hand up is faulty.

Andrea cannot and will never be able to play SF on defence in a man to man scheme. Unless a zone is implamented to hide his horrific lateral speed and basketball IQ he will get owned by guys like RJ, Maggette, Wallace, etc ... they could out run him walking.

For some reason a lot of people on here think that just because he can shoot, he can play SF.

It has nothing to do with the talent level over there. It has more to do with how the game is played over there. There are simply no players like the ones I mentioned that are playing over there. He never guarded anyone like the players I listed over in Europe. Hedo exposed Andrea in the playoffs and hes not even a top tier player. Yes those players are tough matchups but having Andrea on them would be a joke, and it would be as bad as I think. I honestly cannot understand how you think having Andrea on them wouldnt be bad. Lets not even go into the offensive side of the ball with Andrea. He brings nothing more to the table at the SF position then the average swingman. The reason why he gets playing time now is because he can stretch the D with his shooting at the 4 or 5. Having at the 3 wouldnt do anything because Kapono can do the exact samething but better. Not to mention that he would be guarded by players who are better able to guard his skill set.

Its about time, PEACE. And to think I unblocked you for a little. I should of just left the block on. Well atleast I dont have to reblock you since your leaving.

star
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM

good riddance. wish you and your little future telling balls all the luck. Although i am 100% sure you will just create a new account so that the embarrassment associated with "Tom Stone" will no longer be applicable, but im sure you wont let us down and be making ridiculous comments again soon :)

reevanson
08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I do remember. From where I was sitting the team lost. Howard to nelson out-played us. It wasn't bargs that lost the series. Hopefully with jo we not have use help d as much and can focus on the man.

Btw. The only one that didn't get torched was joey. For obvious reasons.

i was thinking that exact same thing, bargs d was far from the reason we go torched!

reevanson
08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
good riddance. wish you and your little future telling balls all the luck. Although i am 100% sure you will just create a new account so that the embarrassment associated with "Tom Stone" will no longer be applicable, but im sure you wont let us down and be making ridiculous comments again soon :)

star, your a real prick, you think that your opinion trumps everone elses.
If anyone has any opinions not in line with yours they are "rediculous" I am all for debate but you take it a little to far sometimes. Take a breather and count to ten before you post then you can be resonable.

lukeem21
08-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I think the JO, Bosh, Bargs front line could work at times really effectively.... its hard to debate the fact that it woul cause tons of matchup problems for other defenses

and on the other end I think Bosh can guard a lot of SF's... couple that with zone D's and if Moon is on as SG you have 4 players that are a huge threat to get blocks comming off the weakside

It is not a lineup that i would use exclusively but it is one that would mess up a lot of teams and if we did use that line for the first time in franchise history we wouldnt be getting outrebounded 3-1... something that i would be pretty happy about since I put ALOT of stuck in controlling the glass to be a consistent basketball team

The Wise 1
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
If anyone has any opinions not in line with yours they are "rediculous" I am all for debate but you take it a little to far sometimes. Take a breather and count to ten before you post then you can be resonable.

Its Tom Stone not him.

Beach Rock
08-31-2008, 01:46 PM

hahaha...great post! i'm sure that guy prob doesn't take offence to that anyway. Looks like he plays the role intentionally.

The Wise 1
09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
hahaha...great post! i'm sure that guy prob doesn't take offence to that anyway. Looks like he plays the role intentionally.

Wow you take offense to him but not Tom Stone? Tome Stone that you?

Beach Rock
09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow you take offense to him but not Tom Stone? Tome Stone that you?

lol...nope not Tom Stone. I'm only right 98.7% of the time ;) Just kidding of course. Star is what he is...I still like reading him. He makes things interesting. Like the psd villain. Don't take offence Wise. Star doesn't care about the guys comment so why should you? Are you star?

star
09-02-2008, 12:06 AM
lol i dont care about him cause he never posted anything worth reading ...

ps ... i laughed at PSD villain - but honestly ... its not that ... i think people get "offended" when anyone comes here and posts anything besides "the raps are #1" ... im just realistic and trying to keep things in perspective ... if thats being the bad guy then so be it

deaner
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
BC stated on the FAN 590 on tuesday that BArgs was going to get some time playing SF.

Mark my words boys....

Jose Adams Bargs Bosh JO is a real possibility!

star
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
BC stated on the FAN 590 on tuesday that BArgs was going to get some time playing SF.

Mark my words boys....

Jose Adams Bargs Bosh JO is a real possibility!

i have been saying that for a long time now

but jose, ukic, bargs, bosh, JO

HoopsMachine
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I think Sam summed it up best during the press conference introducing JO as a Raptor when he stated if any of the other guys want the ball they better run because when they setup in the half court the ball is going down to one of those two (Bosh and O'Neal).

The lineup I would go with at the beginning of the season is:

Calderon
AP
Kapono
Bosh
O'neal

My reason for starting Kapono over Moon is that it maximizes our strength in shooting (Calderon, AP, and Kapono shoot above 40% from deep) discouraging and minimizing opposing teams doubling on Bosh and O'Neal. While Moon is better defensively, Kapono isn't as much of a liability anymore since Bosh and Oneal will be active around the paint and can contest/block shots.

deaner
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
i have been saying that for a long time now

but jose, ukic, bargs, bosh, JO

really star? you think ukic..... and I thought adams was a choice that went against the grain.

Adams will provide WAY better D and is our ONLY hope for driving the ball. Bargs/Adams works quite well actually... better than parker moon in my opinion... and you guys know by now kapono is not even an option for me... :) Think hops like VC (50 inch vert) but works hard on D. With the starting line-up on the floor, we will not need the 2 hoging the ball. It will be exciting to see him drive and jam.

I just can't see ukic getting many minutes at the 2. We can't burn Jose out this year, he needs to be paced. Unless Will Soloman shocks me with his talent and gets 12 minutes a game... I just can't see how ukic plays @ the 2.

The Wise 1
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

BC's last attempt to justify Andrea being drafted 1st IMO.