PDA

View Full Version : Unprecedented Epic Fail

Epic89
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
In the history of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Sports, or even North American Professional Sports as a whole, has there ever been a more disappointing, heartless, underachieving, and self-righteous sorry-*** lot of athletes?

I think not, and that's why I don't care for them any more, don't watch them any more, or invest in them in any way, shape, or form any more.

Your own thoughts, on our local "professional" baseball team and this unabashed atrocity of a season they have rewarded our devotion with?

mark1125
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
In the history of the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Sports, or even North American Professional Sports as a whole, has there ever been a more disappointing, heartless, underachieving, and self-righteous sorry-*** lot of athletes?

I think not, and that's why I don't care for them any more, don't watch them any more, or invest in them in any way, shape, or form any more.

Your own thoughts, on our local "professional" baseball team and this unabashed atrocity of a season they have rewarded our devotion with?

While they will always be my team, I have to agree that this year was a colossal bust. DD, Leyland, the high priced vets, coaches, etc. You could count the number of players who earned tehir checks on one hand (Polanco, Granderson, Ordonez, Cabrera, Galaraga). Just about all the other vets should look in the mirror and see if they feel right about cashing their checks. I know they have no problems with it, but there is a lot wrong with this team.

Lionsforlife
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I think that's a little overdramatic. There has been alot of worse meltdowns throughout the years. It has definitely been a disappointing season, that's for sure. I am curious as to how they attack the offseason. I do feel they have a lot of good pieces and with some new pitching could be real decent next year.

I feel that the hype this year was all about the run potential and although they have been inconsistent, they have put up tons of runs. Our pitching just took a dump.

JackB
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
They put up a ton of runs when the games didn't matter. Beating a team 14-3 means nothing to me. I would rather win 4-3 and not get shut out something like 13-14 times. That to me is not a good offensive team. Give me that hit in the clutch. Strike that one hitter out with the bases loaded. Not walk in a run.
The Tigers aren't the first and certainly won't be the last to spend a boat load of money and not make the playoffs. It was just a bad year. Injuries and some bad pitching. But the good teams somehow work through the rough times. Look at the Rays this year. Losing two key players in Crawford and Longoria. Word was the would fall and fall hard. They scrap . They do the little things. They don't quit. They won again tonight 1-0 . What is their payroll?
It will be an interesting off season. We'll get a good look at some players starting next week. Guys that are hungry. Thats what we need . I think I would rather lose with guys that try hard night in and night out. Then lose with a bunch of over paid players that only care about how good they look in their Lamborgini. But no matter who they play or who they sign I will always cheer them on.

Epic89
08-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I do respect you folks with more patience than I, so good on you. I just can't do this **** any more; all this team ever does is disappoint.

And I have no optimism for the future.

Bondomania
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
the difference about the rays is that they have a legit ace in Kazmir, as well as GOOD pitching in the 1 through 5 spots in their rotation.... we lack an ace, and we get good pitching out of Galarraga, other than him, we haven't got much outside of that.. Miner has been good but two of his starts have been against KC. IF we sign someone or trade for a starter, that is a 1-3 caliber starter, then i think we could be in decent shape.

JackB
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Our ace was suppose to be Bonderman. Verlander was also another guy that was counted on in a big way. I honestly didn't expect much from Rogers or Robertson. And I was hoping Willis would return to his rookie year form. But it wasn't just the starters. The bullpen was also bad. Bullpens can have a huge saying on a game. Just ask Johan Santana. The Mets bullpen has blown something 6-7 leads for him. But our bullpen was also being asked to go longer in games. We didn't get enough out of our starters. They needed to go deeper into games.
As I said. It wasn't just the pitching. We got shut out more by July this year the we did all of last year.The hitting didn't come through in the clutch. I think it was an all around effort that caused this bad season . But thats my opinion.

MinnesotaTiger
08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I do not think it is an overstatement to call the 2008 Tigers one of the top 10 disappointments in baseball history. They way they are playing, they could finish last in their division (although I doubt it). This is a team that most baseball publications and sportwriters had steamrolling to the WS. Can anyone point to another team who was supposed to win the WS and then finish possibly 10-15 games under .500? The recent White Sox teams were not supposed to thump and club everyone they played, so their recent disappointing seasons (not this year) do not compare. The Yankees? The Cubs? I dunno, but I do not remember any team so deep in talent and high in expectations do so poorly. Perhaps he best way to look at it is this way, if the Tigers finish 10 games under .500, it would be similar to a football team that was supposed to win the Superbowl but only managing a 3-13 record. If the powerhouse Red Wings only amass 70 points this year, it would be a colossal bust of a season. I said it before, and I'll say it again, after 2006 their were many idiots who said 2007 would be the year of the Tiger, I strongly disagreed, it is very difficult to make it to the WS, especially back to back. We threw away the series in 2006 and I'm afraid we will not be back anytime soon. I hope I am wrong...how about fielding a team that plays .500 ball first.

cantstopthee
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
bandwagon

bballguy869
08-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Actually if I recall, most sportswriters and experts (for ESPN, SI, etc.) had the Indians over the Tigers this year because they predicted the Tigers' bullpen would be weak. To call them a top 10 dissapointment in the history of baseball would be a HUGE exaggeration, considering they werent even the clear cut favorite for their division!
However, that being said, it was an incredibly dissapointing year for us fans who expected them to play up to their potential. But I'm far from bailing on them like a bandwagon fan.
I look forward to whatever changes are made this offseason (big or small, I trust DD and dont think he should be blamed for this years failures) and I think there is a lot to look forward to next season as well.

MinnesotaTiger
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey cantstopthee...either you don't know the definition of "bandwagon" or you are simply a moron whose repetoire of "comebacks" consist of one word responses...like a child saying "whatever!"...Very intelligent (Please don't think you are intelligent, this is meant as sarcasm). I never said, "I will never follow the Tigets again" or "I'm done with the Tigers" I followed them through 2003 watching EVERY game. I followed them through the mid 70's when they were horrible. I am guessing you are not very cerebral (the opposite of intelligent). Before you accuse me of jumping off the "bandwagon," you should open a Webster's dictionary and brush up, providing you can find one in the basement of your parents house where you live.

Killebrewcrew3
08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
The thing about the Tigers is they had a bad year yet next year will be in the running for the division. this team has pieces.

stanpapi
08-28-2008, 10:49 PM
The thing about the Tigers is they had a bad year yet next year will be in the running for the division. this team has pieces.

I mean, yeah, they have some of the pieces, just not the right blend. You need to do a lot of things well to be a good ballplayer, and we've got way too many guys who only do one thing well. That's why they win 14-3 one night, get shut out the next. It's not so much that they're a bad team, just imbalanced. You just don't go out and get the 9 best hitters on the market. You step back, and say what do we need more of and what do we need less of?

Epic89
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
bandwagon

And not an ounce ashamed. Not an ounce. I no longer recognize the team that won my heart two years ago; just a bunch of losers who broke my heart this year.

JackB
08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Apparnetly you haven't been a Tiger fan very long.Let me guess. 8-10 years max? Fans are people that will complain about a team but stick with them through the good and the bad. I don't know any team that has won a title every year. That has been in the pennant race right down to the wire every year. How would like to have been a Red Sox fan ? Sure they have won two titles in three years. But before that it was 1918 since the last WS title. I have seen two WS championships since being a Tiger fan. I have also seen a couple of very good years when they fought hard but fell short. I have never ever said thats its when they had a bad year. Not even when they lost over 110 games. I'm not going to use the word bandwagon. But if you only cheer them on when they win or have a good year what would you call it? Please complain all you want. Be upset all you want. But if you are a true fan you need to just grin and bear it.

Bondomania
08-29-2008, 07:34 PM
anything is possible, and if the offense gets hot next year, and the rotation can stay healthy then sure they can make a run.. of course they will need people to step up, guys who you don't see coming, especially in the BP. I think bonderman should have a bounce back year, and i think that Verlander needs to take the next step, same with Galarraga, although he has been stellar this year, next year teams will know his pitches a little better, and i think he is going to also develop a better changeup. Then they are going to have to find two more pitchers that can step in and get big wins.. i also wonder about the idea of Miner being the closer, he has 4 pitches, and he doesn't usually give up a ton of hr's.. i dunno, just an idea, but he could be our 4th starter as well.. but like i said, anything is possible, and this offense does have the potential to get hot and carry the team

Epic89
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow; I'm really starting to despise these good-for-nothing scrubs. They're expected to win the World Series; they respond by not even winning the AL Central. What's worse, they don't even make the playoffs. Even worse, they're not even a .500 team. And as if it wasn't bad enough, they play horrific, terribly fundamentally unsound baseball from season's start to end boasting the worst pitching in the league.

JackB
09-03-2008, 07:33 AM
It happens. Thats all part of it. Sometimes what looks good on paper does doesn't work out. Thats baseball.Thats life. There always next year.

ktpinnacle
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM
We look old.

Critical players have fallen by the wayside and none have stepped up - especially pitchers - to take the load. We don't have the talent on the farm that we had before the trades and due to injuries there. Renteria is playing like the Boston version, unfortunately. Thames still hasn't learned how to hit to all fields - but could be another Cabrera if he could get it through his skull. Sheffield is done for all intents and purposes, but I would have enjoyed seeing him hit 500 by midseason instead of by the end of the year (maybe). We don't generate runs like the Angels do. Our team defense stinks, Polanco alone is shocking on defense compared to last year. Our field awareness is surprisingly poor.

I can't invest the energy I once did, because it's too upsetting to see these players underachieve the way they do. But I remain positive that we'll overhaul the pitching staff by 2010 and the old guard will retire.

One Nut Kruk
09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Blame the person who should get most of the blame.....Dave Dombrowski. This idiot created a team the exact opposite of the way he should have. Just a terribly put together roster.

He loads up with nothing but one dimensional power hitters in a stadium that's the size of a f'n National Park. How can you expect anything when you have Thames and Ordonez manning the corner outfield spots in this park? It's just plain stupid to think that they can......Granderson may as well be in the OF by himself. Renteria at short with no range....the list goes on and on.

Teams like Anaheim and Minnesota kill us at home because they have teams built like we should be....a couple of power hitters, lots of contact hitters with speed, and excellent defense.

We've also hit into over 120 double plays. That is f'n absurd. The team is a joke but it's not solely the players fault. They can't be players that they aren't meant to be. Thank Dumbrowski.

Epic89
09-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Absolutely zero optimism for the future. And it's a shame, because Miguel Cabrera is going to have GREAT years here but will end up being nothing but the next Barry Sanders: a superstar stuck in a purgatory.

No hope; fortunately, I no longer care.

bballguy869
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Epic, if you honestly don't care anymore, then why the continuous stream of comments about how much they're pissing you off?

And again, I'm not sure what the hell you were watching and/or reading, but the Tigersw were NOT expected to win the world series. In fact, they weren't even considered a shoe in for the playoffs (The Indians were supposed to win the division and either the yankees or red sox were supposed to get the wild card).

So before you go on ranting and raving anymore about how much you hate the Tigers and how dissapointing this season was, at LEAST get your story straight.
And I agree with you, Kruk. The way this team is assembled doesnt work worth ****, especially in their own ballpark! Dombrowski needs to seriously reconsider what he wants the team to look like over the offseason if we want to make it back to what we were in '06.

Epic89
09-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Epic, if you honestly don't care anymore, then why the continuous stream of comments about how much they're pissing you off?

And again, I'm not sure what the hell you were watching and/or reading, but the Tigersw were NOT expected to win the world series. In fact, they weren't even considered a shoe in for the playoffs (The Indians were supposed to win the division and either the yankees or red sox were supposed to get the wild card).

So before you go on ranting and raving anymore about how much you hate the Tigers and how dissapointing this season was, at LEAST get your story straight.
And I agree with you, Kruk. The way this team is assembled doesnt work worth ****, especially in their own ballpark! Dombrowski needs to seriously reconsider what he wants the team to look like over the offseason if we want to make it back to what we were in '06.

I do apologize for my whining; I know it's annoying. Sorry. I just put a lot of stock in this team at season's start and never will again.

Sheffies Chef
09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
teams looking good today.

btw, i for one am not a bandwagon fan. even during the really bad games at the beginning of the year, i was watching and pulling for them. i still rep my granderson and ordonez jerseys to school.

i've stoped wearing my verlander because THAT is a little disappointing.

Tragedy
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
And not an ounce ashamed. Not an ounce. I no longer recognize the team that won my heart two years ago; just a bunch of losers who broke my heart this year.
Oh, come on now. The Tigers surely underachieved this year, but they have a team built to win for the future as well. Add a pitcher, rework the Bullpen a bit, and add maybe ONE more bat (Doesn't have to be a monster bat like Tex), and the Tigers jump over the other AL Central teams.

They brought in one of the games most elite young players in Cabrera this past offseason. Maybe he's not carrying them to the Playoffs this year, but the positive effect he'll have going forward will be noticed.

Bondomania
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I dunno, sheff shows glimmers of hope at times that he can maybe be an effective hitter.. which is frustrating because he goes right back into slumps after he shows you this..

EdTheRevelator
09-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Funny how you all were lauding DD in the offseason for his bold moves and putting together the roster, and now you're blaming him for being a ******.:rolleyes: