PDA

View Full Version : Lowell to start hitting off tee this week

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Mike Lowell returned to the team after spending the first portion of the trip in Miami with a physical therapist, working on coming back from his strained right oblique. Lowell, who went on the DL Aug. 13, spent yesterday working with trainer Mike Reinold, doing some medicine ball throws. He came out of the session feeling very optimistic. "My mind-set's a lot different than it was last week," he said. Francona said that if everything goes according to plan, Lowell could start hitting off a tee today. "I'm kind of pushing to play, but we'll see," Lowell said. "I really don't want to come back, take one really violent swing, and backtrack." As for whether he might need a minor league rehab stint, Lowell said, "Not really. I think I was hitting .200 before for a while, so I figure it could get better." Lowell has continued to have trouble with his hip, which has been bothering him since the end of June, throughout the rehab process. "I think it's something that I'll be able to play through the season with, and then we'll reevaluate in the offseason," he said. "I thought the time off would really make it better, and I'm not sure we've done that."

Source: Boston Globe

lil'papi
08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
A little cold water, he said his hip isn't any better.

Cronin
08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Get well soon, Mike.

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
A little cold water, he said his hip isn't any better.

In the article he said, "I think it's something that I'll be able to play through the season with, and then we'll reevaluate in the offseason," he said. "I thought the time off would really make it better, and I'm not sure we've done that."

MVPOrtiz201
08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
In the article he said, "I think it's something that I'll be able to play through the season with, and then we'll reevaluate in the offseason," he said. "I thought the time off would really make it better, and I'm not sure we've done that."

That part is a little discouraging, seeing as how he was running before being put on the DL.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
He also mentioned the HIP contributed to his oblique, more to what I was referring....

The guys injured are all long term contracts. Lugo-Lowell-Drew. All hit the DL.....along with Ortiz. Seems like a trend is forming....

BoSox47
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Lowells hitting off a tee thats good.

Maybe Varitek should go back to the basics and hit off the tee with him.

ya i know Tek jsut had 3 homeruns but i dont care hes bad.

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Varitek isn't there for his bat...the Red Sox win games based on Varitek's game-calling and situational knowledge and wit. He IS the man when it comes to that.

As for as Lowell...sigh. There's not much we can do about it. You had to figure this was going to happen, he's 34 and plays hard. It's still very early, and pre-mature to start talking about hip surgery and all that. Obviously, I hope that's not the case...it would be a major deal. I think it would alter the offseason strategy.

goshhhjosh
08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I feel for Mike Lowell, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up at the plate before he went down, I think that it's best to give him some extra time off to make sure that he can play through the season and contribute while doing so. Fortunately Lowrie can play 3rd and isn't a liability defensively or offensively. When the rosters expand and everyone's healthy we will be a dangerous team. I like our chances to make and thrive in the postseason - one month left to play and only 3.5 behind tampa, i like our chances.

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think anyone realistically expected Lowell to have the same kind of year that he did in 2007. Re-signing him was a feel good move, but probably not the best in long term planning. I'm glad he's here and I love his defense...but he's in his twilight, we knew that going in.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
12.5 mil per x 4 doesn't go to guys in the twilight. He needs to be good and really good on D. Theo needs to not do -feel good- contracts. The deal was iffy but we couldn't hold out for Tex either. Manny is older and people think he is rising. :D

Nobody mentioned hip surgery , did they? I was under the impression his spur isn't operable anyway. If that's the case then , because he has had it since a youngster, it's probably a come and go thing. Rest = cure all.

As for Tek, he is showing signs of coming out of his seeing eye dog routine. :p

BoSox47
08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Varitek isn't there for his bat...the Red Sox win games based on Varitek's game-calling and situational knowledge and wit. He IS the man when it comes to that.

how come when the Red Sox win everyone says Varitek calls a nice game. But when the Red Sox lose its the pitchers fault, never variteks fault.:confused:

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 08:06 AM
12.5 mil per x 4 doesn't go to guys in the twilight. He needs to be good and really good on D. Theo needs to not do -feel good- contracts. The deal was iffy but we couldn't hold out for Tex either. Manny is older and people think he is rising. :D

Good thing it was only three years then. :p

After Mike Lowell (oblique) hit some balls off a tee Wednesday, he was complaining yesterday about not playing. To Francona, that's a good sign. "The one thing with [an] oblique is you have to go slow because if you go too fast, the day you go too fast, you start all over," he said. "We can't let that happen." . . .

lil'papi
08-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Good thing it was only three years then. :p

NOW I FEEL BETTER, phew......:D Two more years at 12.5 or 25million feel good dollars.

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Actually, 2 x $12M. He got a $1.5M signing bonus to make up the difference.

I feel better having that half million dollars around. Personally. In my bank account. :D