PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard

ertanozgur
08-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Dont you guys think that Howard is overrated?

The only thing he can do in the offensive end is dunking and alley-oop if Hedo makes the assist...And i dont think he has a superstar attitude.

Can he really be a franchise player?

stawka
08-27-2008, 07:39 AM
No! If by your standards all Dwight can do is dunk and alley-oop off Hedo's passes, then why isn't Tyson Chandler a Top Center next to Yao and Howard? Ridiculous thread

KiNgSuNs1
08-27-2008, 07:47 AM
i do think he is overrated but he is a beast on the boards also . he is really good for a center and he will only get better but i do think ppl put to much hype in him just like the superman dunk lol but ya he get gets more love den amare and stat is way better than him ............

LakerzDQ
08-27-2008, 07:52 AM
he is slightly overrated, but he's still very good. I think Yao Ming is a better player than him, in many ways. but Dwight is a very STRONG player. very strong rebounder, shotblocker, and dunker. he relies totally on his athleticism, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dwight can't carry a team by himself, but being a big man with great defense, rebounding, shotblocking, and dunking , he is very valuable to a team.

ertanozgur
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
No! If by your standards all Dwight can do is dunk and alley-oop off Hedo's passes, then why isn't Tyson Chandler a Top Center next to Yao and Howard? Ridiculous thread

that is what im talking about..what does Dwight do more than tyson? Howard is only more powerfull

JordansBulls
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM

The only thing he can do in the offensive end is dunking and alley-oop if Hedo makes the assist...And i dont think he has a superstar attitude.

No he is not overrated.

TMAC94
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
overrated but not by much, he realies on his dunking on ofenese the most, he is the perfect rebounder and shot blocker, he can be as effective as amare or yao who are around his height and even taller can hit a jumper.

stawka
08-27-2008, 08:03 AM
that is what im talking about..what does Dwight do more than tyson? Howard is only more powerfull

Wrong! Dwight can get the ball in the post, make a move and finish it off, even with a hook. Tyson has nothing but an alley-oop off CP3... but that's what you said Dwight has which is completely false. He is also a terrific rebounder, shot-blocker, has crazy strength and knows how to use it.

RapsFan4Life
08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
howard is a beast. what he does for a team is what the team knows he will do, solid interiod defense and post defense as well as a MONSTER on the glass and shot blocking ability

the reason he is a solid center is because his team does not expect him to drop 3's or average 7 assists, but they expect him to grab 12 boards and stand behind the perimeter players just incase dwight feels like picking up a swat ... have dwight guarding your paint makes offense take shots rather then drive

i think he is not over rated, his dunk wasnt that skill full but sure was powerfully and a crowd pleaser, personally thought the superman was stupid. He is a great player but not a franchise player, yet

Knicks845
08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Centers are supposed to Rebound on both ends, Block-Shots, Guard opposing Center and Dunk, they're not supposed to shoot like yao, and they're not expected to shoot 80% from the line, but Dwight Overated? Please, he average around 15 rebounds last year btw.

{}
08-27-2008, 08:20 AM

He's Kevin Willis version 2.0. In reality, a solid player who is a borderline allstar talent and a quality rebounder and shot blocker. But he's about as much a franchise player as Ben Wallace was...

I understand Howard is a complete embarrassment in the low post and can't do much, but what is the deal with his shooting? Does he have functional fingers, or opposable thumbs? He shoots as if he has both hands balled up in a fist and just knuckles the ball toward the rim. I laugh every time I see him try to shoot. That goofy expression always on his face makes it all the more amusing.

FOBolous
08-27-2008, 08:59 AM
he is slightly overrated, but he's still very good. I think Yao Ming is a better player than him, in many ways. but Dwight is a very STRONG player. very strong rebounder, shotblocker, and dunker. he relies totally on his athleticism, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dwight can't carry a team by himself, but being a big man with great defense, rebounding, shotblocking, and dunking , he is very valuable to a team.

:clap:

Centers are supposed to Rebound on both ends, Block-Shots, Guard opposing Center and Dunk, they're not supposed to shoot like yao, and they're not expected to shoot 80% from the line, but Dwight Overated? Please, he average around 15 rebounds last year btw.

Centers are also suppose to anchor a team's offense. It isn't until recently that we don't have centers that can play good offense. But look at Bill Walton, Kareem, Hakeem, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Chamberlan...they all play great defense, rebound the ball great, and anchored their team's offense.

and in that sense...yes i think HOward's overrated. Because Howard is soo good on one end the court, people forgot his complete inability on the other end of the court. Like LakerDQ said...Howard doesn't have the ability to carry the team.

ertanozgur
08-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Wrong! Dwight can get the ball in the post, make a move and finish it off, even with a hook. Tyson has nothing but an alley-oop off CP3... but that's what you said Dwight has which is completely false. He is also a terrific rebounder, shot-blocker, has crazy strength and knows how to use it.

so you say that Dwight can win a match on his own?

LakerzDQ
08-27-2008, 09:08 AM
He's Kevin Willis version 2.0. In reality, a solid player who is a borderline allstar talent and a quality rebounder and shot blocker. But he's about as much a franchise player as Ben Wallace was...

I understand Howard is a complete embarrassment in the low post and can't do much, but what is the deal with his shooting? Does he have functional fingers, or opposable thumbs? He shoots as if he has both hands balled up in a fist and just knuckles the ball toward the rim. I laugh every time I see him try to shoot. That goofy expression always on his face makes it all the more amusing.

lol, u got something against dwight?

LakerzDQ
08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
one's opinion of "overrated" is different from others'.

if the people around you say that Dwight is a bad player, etc, then you would say he's underrated. if the people around you say that Dwight is one of the best centers ever, you would say he's overrated.

in my case, I hear alot of people saying Dwight is the next Shaq. sorry dwight, but you're no shaq. disregard Dwight's age. Shaq at 20 years old, in his rookie year, was averaging 23.4 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, shooting 0.562 FG%, 2 assists. Dwight doesn't have the "franchise big man" offense. he's still very good though, don't doubt that.

pippsux
08-27-2008, 09:21 AM
He has the potential to be great, the question is mentally is here ready to put in work and improve his game or is he happy where he is....winning slam dunk contests with a cape and rebounding. It's up to him how good he can be. As of right now he is a great rebounder and physical presence, but will he add to his game. Malone was just like Howard, could dunk run the floor, but could not shoot. He put in work untill that jumpshot became automatic.

It's up to Howard how good he can be. His Olympic showing was not positive.

ertanozgur
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM

if the people around you say that Dwight is a bad player, etc, then you would say he's underrated. if the people around you say that Dwight is one of the best centers ever, you would say he's overrated.

in my case, I hear alot of people saying Dwight is the next Shaq. sorry dwight, but you're no shaq. disregard Dwight's age. Shaq at 20 years old, in his rookie year, was averaging 23.4 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, shooting 0.562 FG%, 2 assists. Dwight doesn't have the "franchise big man" offense. he's still very good though, don't doubt that.

i agree . That is why i think is overrated . I dont think he can be the next Shaq

CELTICS4LYFE
08-27-2008, 09:49 AM
he is the best young big man in the league today(al jeff 2nd)....so y not???

RapsFan4Life
08-27-2008, 09:52 AM

WOW, 23.5,13.9,3.5

that was his rookie year stats, that is f'ckin CRAZY!!!

QUICKTRADE
08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
some people doesnt know the meaning of overrated. each player has his own role and sometimes that role doesnt show in the stat sheet meaning a player that actually fills the stat sheet everytime doesnt autimatically guarantee him for an allstar. he also needs to have a good persona in media, and to the fans.Dwight is not over rated because he fills the role he was ask by his team and so as tyson. artest could be an allstar but his bad persona disqualifies him - dont you think?

rickyk13
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
hes not over rated hes an old skool center

so he cant hit an 18ft jump shot or a baseline turnaround but what legitamate center in the league can other than maybe Yao
ppl are saying hes over rated because there comparing him to so called centers like amare
the league is getting more athletic at the 5 and dwights just more power hes actually what a 5 is supposed to be and i think hes doing a pretty good job

Jahari Kavi
08-27-2008, 11:00 AM
to some extent I believe that he is. He has the potential to be great, but I've seen little improvement in his offensive game, since he's been in the NBA......I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to come.......

Jahari Kavi
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
hes not over rated hes an old skool center

so he cant hit an 18ft jump shot or a baseline turnaround but what legitamate center in the league can other than maybe Yao
ppl are saying hes over rated because there comparing him to so called centers like amare
the league is getting more athletic at the 5 and dwights just more power hes actually what a 5 is supposed to be and i think hes doing a pretty good job

not only does he not have a jumper, he has no post moves at all, lol......He doesn't even have a solid hook shot going across the middle of the lane. I'm starting to believe he'll be a great defensive player who will need a superstar to carry the load on the offensive end, and to finish out games..........

_Sn1P3r_
08-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Dwight Howard is still young but I also think not the next Shaq. He needs to learn better post moves and maybe a short jumper to make him even more dominant.

Tom81
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
No he is not overrated.

agreed,and what different do shaq (o he shot threes)

FOBolous
08-27-2008, 03:26 PM

29$JerZ
08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Overrated in what exactly?
Only thing he isn't good at is FT shooting and a midrange game.

Reezy
08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Dwight's definitely the best center we've had since Shaq.

bogdanrom
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM

fredv
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Slightly overrated, just as all good players are... :)

roo3flash
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
i dont belive him to be overrated just overhyped...people think he is gunna be like top 10 of all time when he is only in the top 3 of now...until he starts to work hard to get a hook shot nd learn some true post moves he not gunna be that amazing...i personally think that he could become a top 5 center of all time but as i said b4 not till the post moves come to him...i also dont think that hes mentality to make it, i think that he feels fine wheres he at...hes a young player getting to much publicity...hes kinda like a child actor, he starts of big but ends up not living up to wat he could be

SeoulBeatz
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
how is he overrated when he's a top 2 center in the league? Him and Yao ming are equal cus yao has slightly better offensive game, while yao is more dominant of a rebounder and defender.

this thread is ********.

CowboysKB24
08-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Definitely. First, he is young not even 22. Averaged 20 PTs 14.2 RBs and 2.2 Blocked Shots last season. He has gotten better every season and has missed ZERO games so far. So it is great that he has been healthy thus far. Think about him from two years from now? Work on his foul shots - he'll probably never turn into a mid range shooter but he doesn't have to be - he is a TRUE center.

You can build a franchise around him. He doesn't really have any real great talent on his team besides Rashard Lewis but how do you expect a SF and C to win a championship? They need a better PG and some shooters. They will get there when Celtics fall off and Pistons. Howard LBJ will be going head to head. I see it.

CowboysKB24
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
how is he overrated when he's a top 2 center in the league? Him and Yao ming are equal cus yao has slightly better offensive game, while yao is more dominant of a rebounder and defender.

this thread is ********.

Agreed. Dwight is 22 years old. I messed up in my post before.

dre1990
08-27-2008, 03:56 PM

your a ****ing ******. this is the stupidest thread ever. hope you burn

rhino17
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
He is pretty damn good and the second best center in the nba, but he is a little overrated

Beno7500
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Yao is the one that is overrated.

Jahari Kavi
08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
He's definitely a guy you want on your team, and I do believe you can build a team around him. With that being said, there are others I'd build a team around before Dwight.....Like I mentioned earlier, he will hold down the fort defensively, rebound, and can finish around the basket, but you need another superstar who can take over a game offensively. He most certainly can't be your primary offensive weapon if you're serious about winning a championship.

Coqui77
08-27-2008, 05:10 PM
He doesn't suck but yeah he's overrated. he cant carry a team on his own, but he is still very young and hopefully will get better.

rhino17
08-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Yao is the one that is overrated.

not quite

IversonIsKrazy
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
offically dumbest thread ever!

Lakersfan2483
08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
In response to the thread, I would say that D. Howard is NOT overrated. He led the league in rebounding last year, is a force on the defensive end and his numbers have improved every year. I do think he needs to work more on his post game, but he's the best center in the league.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
who ever says hes overrated mustve been taking drugs did u guys atleast see this guy made a superman out of himself in the slam dunk contest in new orleans or the fact that he led the magic to the second round for the first time since 1994 and led them to a improving 52-30 hes just unstoppable in the paint nobody can stop this guy hes big! but shaq is bigger..

MiamiHeatWade33
08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
In response to the thread, I would say that D. Howard is NOT overrated. He led the league in rebounding last year, is a force on the defensive end and his numbers have improved every year. I do think he needs to work more on his post game, but he's the best center in the league.

I agree dwight howard has been improving but i just dont see why dwight howard still needs work on his post game? what did dwight howard didnt do that against the pistons??but i think the reason why he did not do that against the pistons because of course the pistons are known for there defence they have tayshuan prince the outside defender just like bruce bowen but tayshaun prince was forced to play inside with rasheed to help deny dwight howard in the paint the raptors didnt have that in the first round but the pistons did and the raptors kept double teaming and triple teaming just didnt work the pistons did and it worked cause the pistons have the defensive experience.

Lundbelievable
08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I guess if you look at it philosophically you could make the case that EVERY athlete CAN be labeled as "over-rated". Even if a guy averages a triple-double you could say that he receives too much praise and honor for his work. But I think that there's a general spectrum that must be followed.

But to answer the question raised: 20 points, 14 rebounds and 2 blocks is over-rated? 14 rebounds a game?? Over-rated?? And at only 22 years young?

Go figure

rhino17
08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
who ever says hes overrated mustve been taking drugs did u guys atleast see this guy made a superman out of himself in the slam dunk contest in new orleans

you mean his superman layup?

Davisayan
08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Anybody who thinks Dwight is overrated is crazy his defense and rebounding is enough to live up to his hype yet alone his offensive skills. You guys are crazy.

goku
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
all he do is dunk

$ NyC $
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
i wont say anything except every1 who says all he does is dunk

he's still young as hell...his offensive skills will develop

dude averaged 19 ppg 16 rpg and 3.5 bpg in the playoffs
averaged 21 14 1 1 and 2 4 the season...

he's only 23

Nets fan 93
08-27-2008, 07:04 PM
He is overrated, but good none the less

IBleedPurple
08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
I think he is overrated by some that claim he is the next Hakeem or something like that.....

But overall, if he can imrove the offense a little, he will be by far the best center in the league. He is pretty close to being the best right now.

ertanozgur
08-28-2008, 02:26 AM
I agree that he is a great defender. He can rebound , block shots ...But i still think that he can NOT carry a team on his own. He can NOT win a match on his own

Tha Truth
08-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Howard is definitely a beast and he is not overrated.

He is only 22.

Once he get's a shot, like a mid-range from like 12-15 feet then he will be a complete package on the defensive and offensive end.

Chronz
08-28-2008, 03:25 AM
That was his scouting report as a rookie, hes gone a long way on improving his own individual game but hes still struggling with double teams because teams are more aware of his improvements. It makes everyone around him better, but unless he can become more of a focal point on offense the Magic wont be contending.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Howard can be the secondary star as a totally dominant anchor in the post, but most teams need an outside along with the inside.