PDA

View Full Version : SI's view on Raptor's 08-09 season

kelkath
08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Toronto Raptors
What went right:

They got J.O.
In one of the bigger gambles of the offseason, GM Bryan Colangelo acquired six-time All-Star forward/center O'Neal from the Pacers in exchange for point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic. The 6-11 O'Neal, if fully recovered from the knee problems that kept him out 40 games last year, should join with Chris Bosh to give Toronto one of the NBA's best frontcourt tandems.

They re-signed Jose.
With Ford gone, the Raptors could ill afford to let free agent point guard Jose Calderon get away. Mission accomplished. The Raptors signed the Spanish floor general, who blossomed into a near-All-Star talent last year, to a reported five-year, $45 million contract that will make him the team's clear-cut floor leader for the foreseeable future.

They imported Ukic.
Needing a backup for Calderon, Toronto convinced Croatian point guard Roko Ukic to leave his Italian pro team for a shot at the NBA. The 6-5 Ukic, a second-round draft pick (No. 41 in '05), should provide steady help off the bench while he learns the NBA game.

What went wrong:

They didn't address the depth.
The Raptors have a fine point guard and a potentially dynamite frontcourt, but they still lack depth. Anthony Parker, Andrea Bargnani, Jamario Moon and Jason Kapono form a decent perimeter core, but there isn't much behind them. The free agent signings of Will Solomon and Hassan Adams are not likely to make much difference.

They hit the ceiling.
Like the Sixers, the Raptors don't have a lot of flexibility going forward. Toronto's payroll is now right up against the luxury tax, and its ownership (unlike that of Philadelphia) is apparently unwilling to cross over the threshold. Colangelo can only hope O'Neal stays healthy and the bench produces, because he might not be able to make any more moves.

Grade: A-

O'Neal's knees are a major question mark, but the Raptors had to make this gamble. Now, if things go right, they could challenge in the East.

For more information:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/08/26/atlantic.reportcard/1.html

blujaysrock
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping Jermaine O'Neal will be healthy all season or at least play 65 games, if he can get back to his all-star form or even just a 15-10 guy that's all I ask for.

Raptors27
08-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I think Jermaine stays healthy and play about 70 games and averages 16points 9rebs 2blocks

AgentViet
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I think we can surprise a lot of people next year if JO can be healthy and produce what he has produced in the past.

_Sn1P3r_
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I guess the key to this season is to make sure JO stays healthy. Or else we would've traded TJ, Rasho and Baston for nothing.

I got a question, would you guys had preferred we traded TJ for Gerald Wallace and have a frontcourt of Hibbert(assuming he was BC's choice)-Bosh-G-Wall or keep the frontcourt we have now.

kelkath
08-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I guess the key to this season is to make sure JO stays healthy. Or else we would've traded TJ, Rasho and Baston for nothing.

I got a question, would you guys had preferred we traded TJ for Gerald Wallace and have a frontcourt of Hibbert(assuming he was BC's choice)-Bosh-G-Wall or keep the frontcourt we have now.

I think this is the best that we can get for TJ. I heard rumors that HIBBERT is a very one dimensional center. With J.O. we have a legit center.

The Wise 1
08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
With J.O. we have a legit center.

With J.O. we have a legit PF who can play some C.

Dragan
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
this SI review is awfully generous in grades, everyone gets a B exept boston. Other than that if JO averages a Double-Double we will contend for the conference if not, well we wont contend.

BALLER R
08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
He will probably average 17 pts and 10 reb and 1.5 or 2 blocks..

Raps# 1 Fan
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Even with J.O in the lineup, the play of Andrea and joey could put us over the top, and I don't know why Boston got a low grade, they're the champs, they obviously not gonna change everything!

boms-4
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
i will take a A-

kelkath
08-27-2008, 07:48 PM
He will probably average 17 pts and 10 reb and 1.5 or 2 blocks..

You are expecting too much from J.O. Probably he would give us 15 pts, 7 reb.

Durant is hype
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I Will Take A A- Any Day Of The Week

Halladay
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM

I think given Wallace's concussion problems, I see him as a much bigger gamble then J.O. Also, if your going to win a title, you need a top notch frontcourt. J.O when healthy is a very good player and I think he does more for this team then Wallace. Wallace is one of my favourite players but his concussions scare me way too much. I can honestly see his career end way too soon.

boms-4
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Jermaine O'Neal said in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated that he is pain-free and ready to prove it with the Raptors next season.

O'Neal, who will play center for Toronto, has said he is healthy before, only to disappoint or get re-injured. He appeared in just 42 games last season, but has been focused on conditioning, proper diet, and recapturing his All-Star form. "The fact is, I played on one leg for two years," said O'Neal. "All the naysayers who are saying that I lost a step, they'll get a full dosage of me next year." He'll be in the 'feast or famine' category on draft day.

roto