PDA

View Full Version : PSD Western Conference Semifinals (#1 LA Lakers vs. #5 San Antonio)

JordansBulls
08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
SEMIFINALS

LA Lakers vs. San Antonio
Winner: Vote here!

--------------------------------------
From now on, each poll will have a voting time of 7 days. This applies to each matchup until an NBA Champion has been determined.

--------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST ROUND

LA Lakers vs. Portland
Winner: LA Lakers, 4-1 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262911)

Utah vs. San Antonio
Winner: San Antonio, 4-3 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263580)

Houston vs Phoenix
Winner: Houston, 4-2 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262913)

New Orleans vs Dallas
Winner: New Orleans, 4-2 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263577)

The total of votes for each team will be counted (all 4 options together) and the team with the higher total wins. Eventually, the result will be the option with the most votes (out of 4 options) of the team that has the most votes altogether.

Example:

If the option which has been voted most out of all 8 in the poll is "Memphis in 6" (20 votes), it doesn't necessarily mean that Memphis has won. If Memphis has 50 votes (Memphis in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), but New Orleans has 55 votes (New Orleans in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), New Orleans is the winner, although it didn't have the most votes in any of its 4 single options. The option with the most votes of the winner (New Orleans) is the final result.

Let's say:
Memphis in 4 = 10 votes
Memphis in 5 = 5 votes
Memphis in 6 = 20 votes
Memphis in 7 = 15 votes
Total = 50 votes

Now lets say New Orleans has
New Orleans in 4 = 12
New Orleans in 5 = 13
New Orleans in 6 = 17
New Orleans in 7 = 13
Total = 55 votes
The winner would be New Orleans in 6 since they would have the most votes total overall and thus the option for them that was voted the most is New Orleans in 6 would become the final result.

WESTERN CONFERENCE - Regular Season

Click the team name for poll results. The 8 best records in each conference have been determined. According to league rules, the seedings are as follows

(1) LA Lakers (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258909) - Pacific Division
(2) New Orleans (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259506) - Southwest Division
(3) Houston (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260362) - Southwest Division
(4) Utah (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261433) - Northwest Division - (5th best record)
(5) San Antonio (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260868) - Southwest Division - (4th best record)
(6) Phoenix (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261876) - Pacific Division
(7) Dallas (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262234) - Southwest Division
(8) Portland (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262633) - Pacific Division

RocketsRule
08-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Lakers in 6.

Spurs need to get a little younger, and I only expect the Lakers to get better with a healthy Bynum.

goku
08-27-2008, 12:07 AM
lakers in 5 or 6

Antbanks21
08-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Lakers in 6

we beat them last year and now with a healthy Bynum & Ariza we will only get better + Spurs are one more year older.

BullsNumber1Fan
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Lakers in 6

we beat them last year and now with a healthy Bynum & Ariza we will only get better + Spurs are one more year older.

That's what I was thining. But now with a healthier Bynum + Ariza, I say Lakers in 5.

bogdanrom
08-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Lakers in 7

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Lakers are still the same team that beat the Spurs last time.
Spurs are still the same OLD team and are just getting older and less hungrier.
The Lakers add young guns in Ariza and Bynum, both who are very good defensive players and should improve because they are still very young.
Kobe dominated before with a finger and several other injury's and should be better from surgery with rest, especially with that gold :D

Lakers in 5

nbafan19
08-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Lakers in 6

Tha Truth
08-27-2008, 01:14 AM
This series could go either way.

Sevens games for sure.

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 01:24 AM
The Spurs have gotten worse this off-season. One of their top players that series was Brent Barry as he went on an out of nowhere scoring spree and has left the Spurs. Not to mention that Manu's ankle is severely banged up and he is only getting older at age 32 and Duncan is now 34.

The Lakers have only improved with the additions of Andrew Bynum (you may think he is overrated, but it doesn't change the fact that he contributes 14 and 11), Trevor Ariza (7 and 4), and Josh Powell (5 and 5). The Lakers also have gained experience with last years playoffs.

Lakers win in 4.

Beno7500
08-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Depends. Are the refs on the Lakers side?

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Depends. Are the refs on the Lakers side?

Of Course :rolleyes:

Beno7500
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Of Course :rolleyes:

Oh, then it is Lakers no doubt.

LAKERS 24/7
08-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Yea I don't see this going more than 5 games. We beat them in 5 last season and we gained some weapons this season, while they lost one.

still1ballin
08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
If lakers beat the spurs in the playoffs last year in 5 games w/o Bynum, and you add Bynum into the mix now i'll say it will be a sweep...Lakers in 4

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
bring Out The Brooms!!!

superkegger
08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I can't really vote against my Lakers. Too much talent and with Bynum back, that frontcourt dominates.

Nighthawk
08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Spurs in seven. Spurs should have one last season but barry was robbed a on blanant foul by fisher. Odd year. Spurs in 7. could be 6..

IversonIsKrazy
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
lakers in 5 or 6.

Drewlius
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Spurs in 6

Drewlius
08-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Hilarious that any person in their right mind could call the Lakers in a sweep. What a joke, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that would happen. Anyone with a brain can see that.

Nighthawk
08-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Hilarious that any person in their right mind could call the Lakers in a sweep. What a joke, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that would happen. Anyone with a brain can see that.

u do know this site is filled with L.A homers. its one thing thats clear once you visit it. every team has its homers. But L.A is just assinine. Spurs would win this thing

Drewlius
08-27-2008, 03:27 PM
u do know this site is filled with L.A homers. its one thing thats clear once you visit it. every team has its homers. But L.A is just assinine. Spurs would win this thing

I mean, I'm clearly a Spurs fan, but at least I put things into perspective. I don't think the Spurs would have a shot at sweeping the Lakers, simply because I'm knowledgeable in the sport. But that goes both ways, and I don't think anyone with knowledge of the NBA would pin the Lakers on winning in a sweep. I think the same logic goes for any type of winning in 5 scenario also.

fins08
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I predict the Lakers will have the injury bug this year. SA in 5.

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Spurs in 6

What is your logic?

I gave mine. Spurs clearly got a lot worse. Lakers clearly got a lot better. Lakers beat them in 5 before. Them winning in 4 is not very out of reach considering those things.

Again. What is your logic? I gave mine.

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I predict the Lakers will have the injury bug this year. SA in 5.

:rolleyes: That is a very educated post right there. I learned a lot. :confused:

dre1990
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Lakers in 5, they lost barry and hory who were importand to their bench, and the lakers beat them in 5 when they had them

yaowowrocket11
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Lakers in 5

The Spurs are good enough to squeeze one game out, but the Lakers are clearly the better team.

Joshtd1
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
What is your logic?

I gave mine. Spurs clearly got a lot worse. Lakers clearly got a lot better. Lakers beat them in 5 before. Them winning in 4 is not very out of reach considering those things.

Again. What is your logic? I gave mine.

How did the Spurs "cleary get worse"? Yes we lost Brent Barry, but we also lost dead weight Robert Horry. We also signed KT, who did a very good job when he got the minutes. We got younger with our draft, and the signing of Mason Jr., who will thrive in our system.

Joshtd1
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
People keep saying the Lakers didnt have Bynum last year, and that with him they will sweep or win in 5....are people forgetting that Manu was injured and inaffective the whole series? Are people forgetting that the Spurs BLEW 2 games being up by 20 and 17, along with the Barry incident?(For the record, Im not using that as an excuse since we dont know if he would have made his FT's)

Now Im not saying the Spurs would win, but if our big 3 is healthy, there is no way this series goes less then 6.

DreamShaker
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
People keep saying the Lakers didnt have Bynum last year, and that with him they will sweep or win in 5....are people forgetting that Manu was injured and inaffective the whole series? Are people forgetting that the Spurs BLEW 2 games being up by 20 and 17, along with the Barry incident?(For the record, Im not using that as an excuse since we dont know if he would have made his FT's)

Now Im not saying the Spurs would win, but if our big 3 is healthy, there is no way this series goes less then 6.

Agreed....Manu was not 100% last year....not at all....and if he is this year....then it will not be an easy series either way....I think the Spurs still have one more championship left in them....and i'm saying it's this year....so....that would mean they would have to beat L.A.:shrug:

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Manu is also still injured and another year older. Tim Duncan is also another year older.

Also, the Spurs didn't blow any big lead. The Lakers came back and played much better than them.

Plus, lets no forget that the play before the Barry play, Derek Fishers shot hit the rim (the refs said it didn't, which left 2 seconds on the clock), which would've given the Lakers the ball with all the time in the shot-clock. The Lakers would've then inbounded the ball with 4 seconds and gotten fouled then they would've been up by 4 instead of the Spurs getting the ball down by 2. There were bad calls on both sides of the ball (not to mention that Manus three a few plays before was not really a three).

Let me say one thing. Do not underestimate the impact Bynum would have on the game. He would've caused so many mismatches. Instead of Manu on Radmanovic. Manu would have to guard Lamar Odom (which would be a huge problem for the Spurs) while Bowen is on Kobe. Then Oberto would have to guard Bynum, which is a very tough task.

LAKERMANIA
08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Agreed....Manu was not 100% last year....not at all....and if he is this year....then it will not be an easy series either way....I think the Spurs still have one more championship left in them....and i'm saying it's this year....so....that would mean they would have to beat L.A.:shrug:

woah..

Are you serious? They add a healthy Manu and we add a healthy Bynum.. and the favor still goes San Antonio's way?

And as for the guys who say "odd year means Spurs win" What happened with the odd year in 2001?

The Lakers will show that this odd year the Spurs will once again be sitting at home watching the Lakers play in the West and NBA finals..

Lakers take it in 5 or 6

Nighthawk
08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Manu is also still injured and another year older. Tim Duncan is also another year older.

Also, the Spurs didn't blow any big lead. The Lakers came back and played much better than them.

Plus, lets no forget that the play before the Barry play, Derek Fishers shot hit the rim (the refs said it didn't, which left 2 seconds on the clock), which would've given the Lakers the ball with all the time in the shot-clock. The Lakers would've then inbounded the ball with 4 seconds and gotten fouled then they would've been up by 4 instead of the Spurs getting the ball down by 2. There were bad calls on both sides of the ball (not to mention that Manus three a few plays before was not really a three).

Let me say one thing. Do not underestimate the impact Bynum would have on the game. He would've caused so many mismatches. Instead of Manu on Radmanovic. Manu would have to guard Lamar Odom (which would be a huge problem for the Spurs) while Bowen is on Kobe. Then Oberto would have to guard Bynum, which is a very tough task.

Odom sucks. he proved it in the playoffs(especially against boston) he isnt a mis match for anyone

Stop with the players getting older. TD will stiil be an all star and will still be the best PF. its the same crap i hear about boston. THE BIG 3 ARE ONE YEAR OLDER blah blah blah. Unless Duncan is walking onto the court with a cane i wouldnt be worried. If both teams were 100 % healthy i say Spurs win and win easily. Spurs win in 7. although in this poll lakers will be moving on

LAKERMANIA
08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Odom sucks. he proved it in the playoffs(especially against boston) he isnt a mis match for anyone

Stop with the players getting older. TD will stiil be an all star and will still be the best PF. its the same crap i hear about boston. THE BIG 3 ARE ONE YEAR OLDER blah blah blah. Unless Duncan is walking onto the court with a cane i wouldnt be worried. If both teams were 100 % healthy i say Spurs win and win easily. Spurs win in 7. although in this poll lakers will be moving on

who are you trying to kid? You think Manu can guard Lamar? 6'10" guy who could beat anyone off the dribble.. I hate lamar more than the next guy, but if you say Lamar vs. Manu isn't a mismatch.. then something is wrong with you

Nighthawk
08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
who are you trying to kid? You think Manu can guard Lamar? 6'10" guy who could beat anyone off the dribble.. I hate lamar more than the next guy, but if you say Lamar vs. Manu isn't a mismatch.. then something is wrong with you

Lamar isnt a mismatch for Mugsy Bogues. Odom sucks. he sucks.....HE SUCKS.....i dont like his game and think he sucks... Get it

so how do you think i feel about Odom??

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Ummm. What?!? There is no way Many could guard a 6 feet 10 power forward. He will post him up all day. BTW--Lamar Odom averaged 14 PPG on 52% shooting and 9 RPG in the Finals. That is hardly sucking.

How will the Spurs win easily yet win in 7 games? Makes no sense. Anyways, the Lakers are a better team and cause some serious matchup problems for the Spurs. People have to take that into account before they simply say that the Spurs will win because it is an odd year and the Lakers will, for some reason, have an injury-plagued year.

ARMIN12NBA
08-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Lamar isnt a mismatch for Mugsy Bogues. Odom sucks. he sucks.....HE SUCKS.....i dont like his game and think he sucks... Get it

so how do you think i feel about Odom??

Great basketball analysis :confused:

Nighthawk
08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Great basketball analysis :confused:

lmao thanx. im going for an interview with ESPN next week

Alright, ill be real

Odom isnt that bad. Hes a 6'10 sf with speed, and above average shot and nice ball handling skills. If he ever stayed consistant on a nightly basis he could be a all star every year. He'll show up with a huge game and then the next night wont even be a factor. In the playoffs it was the same thing. One game hes doing big things and the next hes letting down laker fans. I just HATE the lakers. :p Of course if Manu were to guard Odom it would be trouble for S.A. Manu would get into ridiculous foul trouble. However im still sticking with my initial opinion. Spurs in 7

still1ballin
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
It is amazing how people sometimes have no clue in what they are saying.

Joshtd1
08-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Again, I never say the Spurs are going to win. I just don't see how we clearly got worse.

Manu will rest for the next two months, and I expect him to be fully healthy for the opening tip.

Yes, the Spurs did blow those two games, just like the Suns blew the two games against us when they had those huge leads. If you were on the other side of it(Spurs win after being down by huge lead), you would say the Lakers blew it as well. Again, with the Barry incident, I never made an excuse so your Fisher point is irrelevant. Both situations were screwed up by the refs.

I am sure Bynum being healthy would have made a impact, but you have to realize that a healthy Manu would have made just as big impact, if not more. You say Manu would have to guard Odom...but it goes both way, Odom would have to guard Manu, and Odom cant guard a healthy Manu.

I'm just saying, if both teams are fully healthy, I dont see this series going less then 6 for either team.

LAKERMANIA
08-27-2008, 07:20 PM
lmao thanx. im going for an interview with ESPN next week

Alright, ill be real

Odom isnt that bad. Hes a 6'10 sf with speed, and above average shot and nice ball handling skills. If he ever stayed consistant on a nightly basis he could be a all star every year. He'll show up with a huge game and then the next night wont even be a factor. In the playoffs it was the same thing. One game hes doing big things and the next hes letting down laker fans. I just HATE the lakers. :p Of course if Manu were to guard Odom it would be trouble for S.A. Manu would get into ridiculous foul trouble. However im still sticking with my initial opinion. Spurs in 7

At least it was better than simply saying "Odom sucks"

LAKERS 24/7
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Again, I never say the Spurs are going to win. I just don't see how we clearly got worse.

Manu will rest for the next two months, and I expect him to be fully healthy for the opening tip.

Yes, the Spurs did blow those two games, just like the Suns blew the two games against us when they had those huge leads. If you were on the other side of it(Spurs win after being down by huge lead), you would say the Lakers blew it as well. Again, with the Barry incident, I never made an excuse so your Fisher point is irrelevant. Both situations were screwed up by the refs.

I am sure Bynum being healthy would have made a impact, but you have to realize that a healthy Manu would have made just as big impact, if not more. You say Manu would have to guard Odom...but it goes both way, Odom would have to guard Manu, and Odom cant guard a healthy Manu.

I'm just saying, if both teams are fully healthy, I dont see this series going less then 6 for either team.

I have to admit, if Manu was healthy this series would've been much different. The only game you guys won was when Manu had his breakout game. Other than that I have to say he pretty much sucked. If healthy, he is porbably a top 5 sg which would definetly make a difference.

Also, you say lamar would have to guard ginobli. The thing you have to understand is our team is so versatile, depending on the lineup out there, lamar could slide up to power forward on defense, and kobe could guard ginobli. We could throw so many different looks at you guys, and its going to be difficult to drive against 2 7 footers in the lane. Not to mention a bigass small forward wandering around.

Joshtd1
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I have to admit, if Manu was healthy this series would've been much different. The only game you guys won was when Manu had his breakout game. Other than that I have to say he pretty much sucked. If healthy, he is porbably a top 5 sg which would definetly make a difference.

Also, you say lamar would have to guard ginobli. The thing you have to understand is our team is so versatile, depending on the lineup out there, lamar could slide up to power forward on defense, and kobe could guard ginobli. We could throw so many different looks at you guys, and its going to be difficult to drive against 2 7 footers in the lane. Not to mention a bigass small forward wandering around.

You are right, but Kobe didn't really guard Manu to begin with this past series so he could conserve energy on offense since Bowen was guarding him. I just dont see Kobe guarding Manu unless he absolutely had to.

Only thing about Odom is that his length may bother Manu a bit on his jumpers.

Jay22Redd
08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
LAL in 6

Drewlius
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Spurs got better this year, way better, not worse. Younger with Mason JR, this kid will thrive, from a Jacque Vaughn at backup point guard we move to our 1st round draft pick in George Hill, Ian Mahinmi instead of Robert Horry, who absolutely dominated in the Summer League. Manu should be healthy by tip-off as well. The tired "One Year Older" phrase is so pathetic, I'd think people on a forum focused around sports talk back would have something decent to argue. I guarantee you Duncan will retire before he becomes any less of a player, and that's still going to be in 4-5 years.

DreamShaker
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
woah..

Are you serious? They add a healthy Manu and we add a healthy Bynum.. and the favor still goes San Antonio's way?

And as for the guys who say "odd year means Spurs win" What happened with the odd year in 2001?

The Lakers will show that this odd year the Spurs will once again be sitting at home watching the Lakers play in the West and NBA finals..

Lakers take it in 5 or 6

I get where your coming from...but the Spurs had the series in thier hands and let go a few times like Josh said....I would not be just shocked if the Lakers made the Finals again but I still think San Antonio will figure it out....probably add pieces....and make one last strong run this season....

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 12:10 AM
San Antonio isn't too old to compete with the Lakers. Parker and Ginobili are still youthful, and Duncan plays by fundamentals which don't require being in his twenties.

DreamShaker
08-28-2008, 12:31 AM
San Antonio isn't too old to compete with the Lakers. Parker and Ginobili are still youthful, and Duncan plays by fundamentals which don't require being in his twenties.

Yes.

innovator
08-28-2008, 07:33 AM

uhhmm so what happened the last time they met?

Mile High Champ
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Too many homer laker fans.. the Lakers would not sweep the spurs, dream on hollywood..

laexpress
08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Not a sweep by any stretch of the imagination, but the Lakers are the younger, deeper team with plenty of size to disrupt what the spurs like to do down low. Two key pieces to that puzzle will be with the team for the entire season, training camp included and assuming both teams are healthy, I'd have to give the edge to the Lakers, but I highly doubt that Timmy and the boys get swept. I say LAL in six.

Tom81
08-30-2008, 06:44 AM
San Antonio in 7

AgentViet
08-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Lakers in 7.

MTar786
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM

injured kobe, ariza and NO bynum i think out weighs a hurt ginobli.. theres no reason not to think the lakers wont sweep cuz if they did it in 5 with a an injured kobe ariza and NO bynum at all then how come they cant sweep a team with players that are a year older than they already were, without a few of their players who wont be returning and the fact that pau gasol will be even more used to our offense.. remember he only played half a season with us.. and bynum is an all star type and we didnt even need him to do it in 5.. im not saying the lakers will win in a sweep but i am saying that it is very possible.. oh and i think it is ******** to even think the spurs will win it in even 7 games when they couldnt get close last year and trying wit the same team except now even weaker

LakerzDQ
08-30-2008, 08:11 PM
doesn't matter how good the lakers are, the spurs will still manage to make it tough. it'll take 5, maybe 6 games.

still1ballin
08-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Can we like speed up the process with the voting?

bogdanrom
09-01-2008, 01:37 AM
5 people voted that the Laker will sweep the Spurs. HAHAHAHA!!! Won't happen. The Lakers in a 7 seven game series.