PDA

View Full Version : Rex surprised he lost out to Orton

nosferatu
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Really how in the world could he be surprised by the outcome, and to be honest as a Packer fan I was looking forward to Lovie saying "rex is our quarterback" all year long, also as Bear fans don't you all think Culpepper would be better than what you have, I wonder why he wasn't at least brought in for a look?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/26/grossman-surprised-he-lost-battle-with-orton/

Jerry34
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
What do you expect Rex to say? "Oh I was expecting to not win the starting job." I saw the interview yesterday. It was pretty standard football talk.

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
why was he surprised?
b/c he is the better QB
i dont think we need another rex rant by me right now.

he probably expected to start, b/c he had the 1 year deal, and he has the better skills.

vdv36
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
IMO I just think he was shocked because it finally hit him, He now knows he sucks.

beardown1985
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Really how in the world could he be surprised by the outcome, and to be honest as a Packer fan I was looking forward to Lovie saying "rex is our quarterback" all year long, also as Bear fans don't you all think Culpepper would be better than what you have, I wonder why he wasn't at least brought in for a look?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/26/grossman-surprised-he-lost-battle-with-orton/

its sad that the only person besides me in this forum that would prefer Culpepper over what we have is a Packer fan...

I don't know about all of you, but if we do only keep 2 QBs on the roster and put Hanie on the practice squad like another thread was talking about doing, Leftwich and Culpepper would be looking reeeeal nice.

I mean for real, why wouldn't our coaching staff not even take a look at them? both of them have won in the league. Leftwich was winning a lot of games in Jacksonville and did a pretty damn good job, despite being immobile. The last time these two QBs were put in a good situation, they were able to take advantage of it in lose some games. I don't care if you are Peyton Manning or tom brady.. if they got sent to ATL, Miami, or Oakland, they would struggle, period.

Leftwich had absolutely no chance to succeed in ATL, he was brought either in the middle of camp or after camp and there is no way he was ready to step out on the field... what the ATL coaches did was bs, they threw him to the wolves with only a couple weeks to digest the playbook and get acclimated with the offense.

Culpepper was similarly screwed by the coaching staff in Miami when they threw him on the field when his knee clearly was not ready to go yet. He goes to Oakland, scores 5 TDs in the game but still got no respect because we had to watch him play behind that horrible O-line under yet another horrible coaching staff. And don't give me that bs about saying that Culpepper was only good because of Moss... WRs don't make QBs, QBs make WRs. I'm sure it helped a lot but that whole offense took a blow when Moss was sent to Oakland, it wasn't just Culpepper. If Moss has the power to turn a player into a probowl QB, then why didn't he do the same for the Raiders?

I really don't like the way that Grossman is handling his benching... instead of whining about getting benched and wondering waht in the world you did you deserve it, maybe you should just go watch some f'ng film and find out

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
its sad that the only person besides me in this forum that would prefer Culpepper over what we have is a Packer fan...

I don't know about all of you, but if we do only keep 2 QBs on the roster and put Hanie on the practice squad like another thread was talking about doing, Leftwich and Culpepper would be looking reeeeal nice.

I mean for real, why wouldn't our coaching staff not even take a look at them? both of them have won in the league. Leftwich was winning a lot of games in Jacksonville and did a pretty damn good job, despite being immobile. The last time these two QBs were put in a good situation, they were able to take advantage of it in lose some games. I don't care if you are Peyton Manning or tom brady.. if they got sent to ATL, Miami, or Oakland, they would struggle, period.

Leftwich had absolutely no chance to succeed in ATL, he was brought either in the middle of camp or after camp and there is no way he was ready to step out on the field... what the ATL coaches did was bs, they threw him to the wolves with only a couple weeks to digest the playbook and get acclimated with the offense.

Culpepper was similarly screwed by the coaching staff in Miami when they threw him on the field when his knee clearly was not ready to go yet. He goes to Oakland, scores 5 TDs in the game but still got no respect because we had to watch him play behind that horrible O-line under yet another horrible coaching staff. And don't give me that bs about saying that Culpepper was only good because of Moss... WRs don't make QBs, QBs make WRs. I'm sure it helped a lot but that whole offense took a blow when Moss was sent to Oakland, it wasn't just Culpepper. If Moss has the power to turn a player into a probowl QB, then why didn't he do the same for the Raiders?

I really don't like the way that Grossman is handling his benching... instead of whining about getting benched and wondering waht in the world you did you deserve it, maybe you should just go watch some f'ng film and find out

so how is our situation offensively "good" for the qbs again?
we cant bring in old, immobile QBs when we have a line that doesnt block half the time, and no really great WRs.
and then they would have to learn all the plays.

bears118
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I like Culpepper, actually in the Head Coach 09 game I got I actually did pick him up. lol.

You are right when you say QB's make WR'S but you have to admit that Moss is special and sure as hell did something to improve Culpepper's numbers. Anyway, Yes I would of like them to of at least taken a look but Culpepper would of wanted to come in and start, and if we had wanted him to do that we would of never resigned Rex. Ortan deserves his chance and I'm hoping he might surprise people, but it all depends on our OL openning the running game. That's the reason he looked good againist the 49ers. We will be fine this year as long as the defense doesn't show it's age and drop off like our OL did after the Superbowl.

assyrianpmp24
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=
I really don't like the way that Grossman is handling his benching... instead of whining about getting benched and wondering waht in the world you did you deserve it, maybe you should just go watch some f'ng film and find out[/QUOTE]

what are you talking about, right now ur just insulting grossman while your not paying attention to what is even going on with him, he IS handling his bench fine, knowing he IS the better QB because orton is the right QB for a good running team, a little like i compare him to a poorer phil rivers who has a good running team, but grossman even said it that he is FOR the team and this is a guy who had no off-field problems, and is a good team player who will come back. but he isnt whining at all he's just surprised as i was because he is the better QB and all this booing is a bunch of idiots who expect someone to win it for us in like 2-seconds and if he sucks that 2-seconds then forget him. O-line sucks, which is why he keeps getting rushed, in the preseason he played the real seattle defense and when orton came he had the backup defense doing nothing.

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
what are you talking about, right now ur just insulting grossman while your not paying attention to what is even going on with him, he IS handling his bench fine, knowing he IS the better QB because orton is the right QB for a good running team, a little like i compare him to a poorer phil rivers who has a good running team, but grossman even said it that he is FOR the team and this is a guy who had no off-field problems, and is a good team player who will come back. but he isnt whining at all he's just surprised as i was because he is the better QB and all this booing is a bunch of idiots who expect someone to win it for us in like 2-seconds and if he sucks that 2-seconds then forget him. O-line sucks, which is why he keeps getting rushed, in the preseason he played the real seattle defense and when orton came he had the backup defense doing nothing.

very nice.
and to add to that, the seattle D was in a prevent type deal at the end of the 2nd half, and brandon lloyd completely bailed orton out w/ 2 amazing grabs.

Soop
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Don't mean to burst you bubble but Byron Leftwich was signed 2 1/2 weeks ago as a back up in Pittsburgh. They only signed him because Charlie Batch was injured, they reportedly were going to sign Culpepper also but decided not to because he looked awful.

P.S. Why do care about what that Packer fan had to say? He obviously wants the worst for us.

and to be honest as a Packer fan I was looking forward to Lovie saying "rex is our quarterback" all year long

I'm looking forward to you guys blaming TT and MM all year long for letting Brett go.

DopieB
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
IMO I just think he was shocked because it finally hit him, He now knows he sucks.

:up:, Nothing more to say about it....:clap:

DamnGoat
08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
What do people expect him to think here?

I'd be surprised too, unless Orton really is as good as the coaching staff seems to think.

The General
08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I was just as surprised as he was.

beardown1985
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Don't mean to burst you bubble but Byron Leftwich was signed 2 1/2 weeks ago as a back up in Pittsburgh. They only signed him because Charlie Batch was injured, they reportedly were going to sign Culpepper also but decided not to because he looked awful.

P.S. Why do care about what that Packer fan had to say? He obviously wants the worst for us.

I'm looking forward to you guys blaming TT and MM all year long for letting Brett go.

Ok... first of all, I know that leftwich got signed already, I was talking about earlier in the offseason. same goes for culpepper; i wouldn't want him now because he doesn't have time to learn the system.

I was just talking about bringing them in at least for a look, and at most, a chance to win the starting gig.

BTW, I wouldn't call Leftwich old... and speaking of immobile.. Rex Grossman anyone?

Whining was a bad choice of words so you guys are probably alright for calling me out on that one, but my point is this: our offense looks better when Orton is under center. Period. its not a question of who is better individually or who has the better arm, its about how the entire offense performs when they are starting. Its not hard to see it.. I saw it, Lovie obviously saw it, and its really hard to argue against it when you watch the preseason games. I would think an ideal team player would respond, "he beat me, fair and square. Kyle's a good quarterback and he earned it." Not act like you just got robbed out of a gold medal at the olympics.

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok... first of all, I know that leftwich got signed already, I was talking about earlier in the offseason. same goes for culpepper; i wouldn't want him now because he doesn't have time to learn the system.

I was just talking about bringing them in at least for a look, and at most, a chance to win the starting gig.

BTW, I wouldn't call Leftwich old... and speaking of immobile.. Rex Grossman anyone?

Whining was a bad choice of words so you guys are probably alright for calling me out on that one, but my point is this: our offense looks better when Orton is under center. Period. its not a question of who is better individually or who has the better arm, its about how the entire offense performs when they are starting. Its not hard to see it.. I saw it, Lovie obviously saw it, and its really hard to argue against it when you watch the preseason games. I would think an ideal team player would respond, "he beat me, fair and square. Kyle's a good quarterback and he earned it." Not act like you just got robbed out of a gold medal at the olympics.

grossman isnt immobile.
hes by no means a mike vick or vince young, but he scrambles and moves around quite a bit
(not necessarily by design:()
hes also not fat and old.
which is generally a plus. lol.

Tankjeep
08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
^are you kidding me cambo, now you are going too far with this grossman love fest you got going on. ever since his knee injury he's running around like he has cement shoes on....specially degined by the mafia.

i'll give you grossman's stats over orton's (before this season) but i don't know how many times i've seen where grossman rolled into a sack when all he needed to do was step into the pocket. rex has no pocket presence and he can't avoid the rush becuz of how slow he is. i bet in marino's day, he and rex would've been a darn good foot race.

Soop
08-26-2008, 08:01 PM

If you read your comment below it's obvious you had no clue.

^ Sounds current to me. :rolleyes:

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 08:01 PM
^are you kidding me cambo, now you are going too far with this grossman love fest you got going on. ever since his knee injury he's running around like he has cement shoes on....specially degined by the mafia.

i'll give you grossman's stats over orton's (before this season) but i don't know how many times i've seen where grossman rolled into a sack when all he needed to do was step into the pocket. rex has no pocket presence and he can't avoid the rush becuz of how slow he is. i bet in marino's day, he and rex would've been a darn good foot race.

i said he wasnt that fast/mobile, but he can get around better than some.
and he certainly isnt like a late drew bledsoe, or these guys they are considering. (old, fat, slow, vets)
for what its worth rex ran a 4.87 40time.(orton was 5.09)

he rolls out an awful lot, bad pocket presence or not, he gets around.

Tankjeep
08-26-2008, 08:07 PM
when was that forty timed....when they were rookies? i'm not arguing that orton is faster than rex. i'm just saying that since rex hurt his knee his mobility (what little he had coming out of college) has diminished significantly.

beardown1985
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
If you read your comment below it's obvious you had no clue.

^ Sounds current to me. :rolleyes:

lol are you calling me a liar? I promise I knew that he was signed by Pittsburgh. I was only referring to not signing them earlier on the offseason. Like i said before, at this point i wouldn't want either of them. Too close to the season and not enough time to get acclimated with the offense. All i wanted was the coaching staff to take a peak.

But you're right i definitely should've made myself more clear

Tankjeep
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
^as in crystal.....clear, lol. j/k!