PDA

View Full Version : Buchholz starts well in Portland

RedSoxtober
08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Clay Buchholz pitched seven innings for the Double-A Portland Sea Dogs tonight against the New Britain Rock Cats. Save for one rough inning, he looked like the Buchholz of old (at this level) anyway. He allowed four runs (three earned) on five hits, struck out eight Rock Cats and didn't walk any.

Buchholz threw 93 pitches, 69 for strikes, and capped his night with a nifty coverage play at first base. He left the game with a lead, but did not get the win after the Rock Cats rallied for two runs in the eighth and pulled out a 6-5 victory.

Buchholz was quite pleased with the way he threw, and the way he felt.

"I felt really good," Buchholz said. "There were a lot of mechanical things that I've been thinking about, that I didn't try to think about (tonight). I went back to what I did last year when I was here. They seemed to work real well for me. So I tried to revert back to that a little bit."

He said his next start will probably come on Saturday. He also said he's prepared himself to stay in Portland for the rest of the season.
Source: Boston Globe

knittingmill
08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Buchholz shows control
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/buchholz-shows-some-control-08-26-2008.html

If he's pitching well in his first start at Portland doesn't that mean it's not mechanics but just an inability to handle big league or Boston pressure? :confused:

-Knucksie-
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
This should be in the Red Sox forum...

lil'papi
08-26-2008, 09:24 AM
CLOSED. :D

4 runs 3 earned....vs AA hitters = 7runs 6 earned vs ML hitters.

Run Gardner Run
08-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Buchholz shows control
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/buchholz-shows-some-control-08-26-2008.html

If he's pitching well in his first start at Portland doesn't that mean it's not mechanics but just an inability to handle big league or Boston pressure? :confused:

No it just takes some time to adjust

Petertherock
08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Buchholz problem is lack of confidence. He needs to get his confidence back and that's why he is in Portland.

Tragedy
08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Whatever, either way.

He'll be good sometime in the future. It's a matter of time. He pretty obviously has done it in the minors, but he struggles to do it in the majors. It takes time. I can't say I'd be entirely opposed to leaving him in the minors for the first month of 2009, either.

knittingmill
08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
he turned 24 twelve days ago. kershaw is 20 or 21. i'd listen to offers.

Towelie
08-26-2008, 11:32 AM
24 doesn't mean anything. Look at when Papelbon first came in he was 24. Should we of gave up on him before than?

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Twenty-four is still awfully young for a pitcher. There's no reason to get rid of him yet, he's going to be decent at the very least.

Tragedy makes a good point about leaving him in the minors to start out 2009...probably not a bad idea, he's got plenty of options and plenty of time.

I don't think his mechanics are the issue...there's always something mechanically that you can pick out...even Maddux tinkers with mechanics still. I think what his success in Portland should tell you is...

...he's facing AA hitters instead of Major Leaguers. It takes time, he'll be fine.

RedSoxtober
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Buchholz shows control

In the article Buccholz said, "I felt really good," Buchholz said. "There were a lot of mechanical things that I've been thinking about, that I didn't try to think about. I went back to what I did last year when I was here. They seemed to work real well for me. So I tried to revert back to that a little bit."

So it appears that it's a mixture of mechanics and mentality. In some cases it's hard to separate... like if you're asked to think about breathing and then, because you're aware of it, breathing starting to feel odd or out of rhythm. Clay was thinking too much on the mound (ie., shaking off Tek to throw a change up that landed somewhere over the wall), thinking about his mechanics, and generally getting intimidated. I think the trip to the minors will help in reverse order.

As for Kershaw... so what? What's more relevant is that they've both spent parts of three seasons in the minors. Clay needs a little more time and Kershaw did not. It says more about Kershaw than it does about Buchholz.

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Absolutely. I don't understand why everyone is so impatient. I don't know if it's a little bit of being spoiled by two World Series titles in such a short time, but you can't just jump the gun on issues like setbacks with young players. Player development takes alot of different paths, and sometimes it takes a little longer to get a good product.

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I think it's pretty unfair to compare player A who went to college and player B who was drafted directly from HS and then say "but player B reached MLB at a younger age!"

goshhhjosh
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
the guy has to live up to a pretty high standard, no-hitter in his 2nd ml start. he will be fine. with lester we had to watch some painful outings, but he has turned the corner and is one of the best lefties in the majors. clay just needs a little more time. he will be a good pitcher. phil hughes and ian kennedy are supposed to be great pitchers, but when they've pitched in the majors they got lit up, in my opinion clay is better than both of them, but i don't think the yanks have given up on them - just igawa.

Wake's Fastball
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
the guy has to live up to a pretty high standard, no-hitter in his 2nd ml start. he will be fine. with lester we had to watch some painful outings, but he has turned the corner and is one of the best lefties in the majors. clay just needs a little more time. he will be a good pitcher. phil hughes and ian kennedy are supposed to be great pitchers, but when they've pitched in the majors they got lit up, in my opinion clay is better than both of them, but i don't think the yanks have given up on them - just igawa.

Well I think the major difference between the two is that Lester seems to excel when guys get on base, while Buchholz becomes completely unraveled. It's something that'll be fixed (hopefully) with age, but who knows.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I think the major difference between the two is that Lester seems to excel when guys get on base, while Buchholz becomes completely unraveled. It's something that'll be fixed (hopefully) with age, but who knows.

Scary ain't it. Pitchers don't rely purely on stuff and the ones that do , never last long. You MUST pitch and rely on solid mechanics and being crafty. Stuff can make you great when its all combined.;)

Look at Maddox he relies on brains and crafty. Byrd same deal. Beckett got better last year when he was crafty. He started making batters think about him , instead of him thinking about them.

Another thing that bothers me is he NEVER hits guys with hard stuff after they light him up. Pedro would have left lace marks on a few arms, shoulders and underwear. :p Clemens too.

Buchholz just gets scared. Age? Confidence? Nerves , yup. Can't pitch nervous he looks like he needs a cigarette after a base hit. He pitches backwards and guys got a bead on it. Last year he got away with it imo. Not many ML pitchers pitch backwards.

Maybe minor leaguers can't figure it out. :confused:

RedSoxtober
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Look at Maddox he relies on brains and crafty. Byrd same deal. Beckett got better last year when he was crafty. He started making batters think about him , instead of him thinking about them.

Hmm... do you mean Nick Maddox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddoni01.shtml), 23-game winner in 1908? He's the only Maddox pitcher in baseball history.

Greg Maddux is pretty good, too, though. :p

Wake's Fastball
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Hmm... do you mean Nick Maddox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddoni01.shtml), 23-game winner in 1908? He's the only Maddox pitcher in baseball history.

Was definately going to argue with you for Harvey Maddox. Apparently Haddix isn't Maddox though.

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
UPDATE: Buchholz threw 8 innings of shut-out ball tonight. Gave up only 2 hits and had 10 strikeouts.

Tragedy
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
:clap:

There is no denying it: The kid can really dominate the minors. Eventually, that'll translate to the majors. He's going to be just 25 for the upcoming 2009 season. He'll have to get it together, as I believe they'll want him in the majors to begin the year (Though Masterson could steal that spot away).

gosawks
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't have a problem with him staying down there for awhile... heck, the Twins kept Liriano in the minors when he was 10-0 with a miniscule ERA. Let him stay down... just because he has one or two good starts doesn't mean he should be called up right away. Let him dominate for awhile. Get him enough confidence so that if he gives up a run or two in the first inning he isn't shattered and knows he can still go out and get some outs. I think it seems like the plan, but keep him down there for the rest of the season, and reevaluate it next year with a clean slate.

lil'papi
08-31-2008, 08:13 AM

Whatever. You get the drift. Bowden wins one more he ties Clay this year. :p

lil'papi
08-31-2008, 09:03 AM
UPDATE: Buchholz threw 8 innings of shut-out ball tonight. Gave up only 2 hits and had 10 strikeouts.

No nerves down there, obviously. He also has his binky
Mike Cather, the pitching coach. We know he has ability never in question.

Be nice is he could translate it up in Boston.

knittingmill
08-31-2008, 10:18 AM
what is going to change? will somebody please tell me what is going to change? if throwing a no-hitter doesn't build your confidence how will winning a game in AA? if he was 20 or 21 i get it. let's keep him in the minors another 3 years.

Tragedy
08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
what is going to change? will somebody please tell me what is going to change? if throwing a no-hitter doesn't build your confidence how will winning a game in AA? if he was 20 or 21 i get it. let's keep him in the minors another 3 years.
Oh, come on now. He threw one no hitter - Great, that's something to be proud about. But it's not like he should be expected to go out the very next year, in his FIRST full year at the major league level, and dominate, simply because he had ONE good game the year before, giving him "confidence". The kid will be good in time, but you have to give it just that - Time. He can't be expected to be a godsend just because of one great performance from a year ago.

Remember, he'll be just 25 in 2009. Jon Lester, in his THIRD season at age 24, is finally putting it together. It's not like it's impossible to believe Buchholz can't figure it out at age 25 or 26, in his second and third seasons, respectively.

papipapsmanny
08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
guys clay could be up again, his stuff wasnt the problem it was his confidence

The sox knew that he could absolutely dominate AA hitters and that would get his confidence back, why do u think they didnt send him to AAA even thought he could do very well against them too

ThreeIfBaerga
08-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Buchholz' line should say something to all those who want Bard on the roster.

lil'papi
09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Bard is a relief pitcher? We don't need six-seven innings from him. Secondly, he isn't a head case. Third, I agree leave him alone as long as nobody gets hurt.

Comparing guys is silly. Bowden did well. Clay did well last year. The heat of having to win this year unnerved him , last year he was a new toy. He came up and gained enormous confidence this yr he didn't. He had expectations on him.....he got unhinged.

Lets hope his time with Cather get his head right. That or bring Cather up to Boston for his starts? Whats a plane ticket cost. :D