PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft

Kyben36
08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Just wondering What prospects you are hoping to get in next years draft. For Me, Its Either a QB or a WR.

QB

Tim Tebow
Matt Stafford

WR

Michael Crabtree
Percy Harvin

Yes, 2 are from Florida but I think Tebow is Good and Percy Harvin . Kinda like Steve Smith

So, Who Do you Want, I just cant stand Drafting a OL or a DL in the First unless its a Great player like Jake Long or Glen Dorsey

But I would like to say 1 thing about Florida QBs in the NFL. I think I only know of 2 off the top of my head. Rex Grosman and Troy Smith. Both are pretty Terrible

ImGoinToJackson
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't know any names right off but considering our team needs, OL becomes a priority for me once again. My wish list is easier to narrow down once I know the draft position. I guess we could say top 7 at this point? That should give us a shot at the best 2-4 OL in draft.

Coach100
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Kyben, Troy Smith is from OSU. He was a Heisman trophy winner; how do you not know where he played? Heck, he played against UF in the National Championship game.....

But you are right, I can't name one good QB in the NFL from UF. Tebow seems liks a guy that will be a great vollege player, but struggle to be great in the NFL. He needs to improve his passing to be a good NFL player. He has a Steve Young playing type, but he doesn't have the arm yet. That is a big downfall.

Stafford is a Junior and not gauranteed to come out next year.

Crabtree you will need a top 5, maybe top 3 pick to get probably. I hope the Bears aren't that bad. And I don't think they will be.

Harvin has been playing HB as well as WR. And as a WR, what would he add that Hester doesn't already bring? If the Bears were the draft a WR, it would need to be a Crabtree type player. Or a big complete reciever, like a Roy Wiliams type of reciever.

Whether you like it or not the Bears may need to draft OL in the first round again, unless a QB they want falls into their lap. Tait is only getting older, LG still is weak, and Kreutz is again as well. The Bears really need help upfront.

bears118
08-26-2008, 10:43 AM
The way I figure it's going to pan out is the Bears will end up with a so-so season as the defense begins to show it's age a little and ends up just outside the top ten and the offese consistancy improves but still it's not a powerful threat hence I'm guessing somewhere around a 6-10 to 9-7 record depending on the close games. That being said would put us roughly somewhere between 9th overall pick and 15th overall pick. Now we could trade down and build up our depth by getting more 2nd and 3rd rd picks but with our needs in such key places on the offense I feel that's not going to happen, hell if we have an awful year, Jerry may even be out.

But I figure we need, IN THIS ORDER:

LG, QB, as big needs

Then depth improvements at RT (although I think that Barton from Ohio State could be a steal for us), C, WR (Actually feel ok with the players we have to a certain extent as we have good speed to compliment the red zone threats and possesion play of our TE's ) and RB depending on how Kevin Jones pans out and if we still want Peterson/Wolfe.

Hopefully Williams will not be a bust and we haven't wasted a 1st rd pick again, even if we have unless he can't walk he'll still be there.

So actually The offense in my eyes can use this year to work as a rebuilding year. and then have to prove themselves so Turner doesn't lose his job.

So in the draft I recon we can look for a LG in the 2nd Rd, however OT will have some big star players again avalible such as Andre Smith (OT-Alabama), Eugene Monroe (OT-Virginia) and Michael Oher (OT-Mississippi) all being top 10 prospects.

Now all these players will propably be seen as LT prospects so depending on what we want to do with Williams, maybe bumping him to RT if he's not excelling at LT then one of these guys could be and option in 1st Rd. Ciron Black from LSU is another possibility.

As for OG the best prospect by far and the one one so far that appears could go in the 1st rd is Duke Robinson (OG-Oklahoma), problem for us is depending on team needs and how low we draft he more than likely will of already of been taken as he could go as high as Brandon Albert did this year.

QB is different than last years draft as I feel the QB's won't fall as far and if we are not happy with Orton we will have to draft high for QB to get a quality player.

In my eyes there are high draft QB's in Matthew Stafford (QB-Georgia), and Tim Tebow (QB-Florida) but in my opinion unless he improves his passing Tebow will try and run it too much and get killed in the NFL.

Other than these two,

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma is a nice option but may not come out for the draft.

Cullen Harper, Clemson
Curtis Painter, Purdue
and Hunter Cantwell, Louisville could be avaliable in 2nd round as well as Colt McCoy, Texas and Mark Sanchez*, USC, However with the last two we need to watch this season. Colt for his porduction as it slipped last year and Sanchez due to his Knee injury this pre-season

Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan and Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State (ex-Oklahoma) and Chase Holbrook, New Mexico State are worth watching as well.

ALL ONE'S IN ITALICS WILL BE AROUND AFTER THE 1ST RD FOR CERTAIN.

That's my ten cents worth anyway. sorry for the length, it just kept coming out. lol

Sox Appeal
08-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Tebow. :pray:

Soop
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Too early

cambovenzi
08-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Too early

yep.
much too early.
and some of those guys might not even declare.
cant take preseason darft choices of guys who havent played their senior, or even junior years in college.

some people thought brian brohm would be the #1 overall last year.
and brady quinn before that.
things change way too much.

Bulldog76
08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes, 2 are from Florida but I think Tebow is Good and Percy Harvin is just a Fast, Elusive, N****. Kinda like Steve Smith

Hey how about you leave the racist comments on someone else's board... what the hell ?!

And how do the mods allow this kind of stuff?

The General
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
please no more QBs from Florida. Leak and Rex were enough. Stafford has all the physical tools, lets see if he can stop making stupid mistakes. And odds are, Crabtree, Tebow, and Stafford will all be gone by the time we draft, unless we tank the season.

Kyben36
08-26-2008, 04:18 PM
please no more QBs from Florida. Leak and Rex were enough. Stafford has all the physical tools, lets see if he can stop making stupid mistakes. And odds are, Crabtree, Tebow, and Stafford will all be gone by the time we draft, unless we tank the season.

Hey, Did we even give Leak a Chance, I dont think so.

Harvin has been playing HB as well as WR. And as a WR, what would he add that Hester doesn't already bring? If the Bears were the draft a WR, it would need to be a Crabtree type player. Or a big complete reciever, like a Roy Wiliams type of reciever.

2 Devin Hesters. enough Said

Soop
08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey how about you leave the racist comments on someone else's board... what the hell ?!

And how do the mods allow this kind of stuff?

Good call, I didn't even see that.

superdude79
08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Tebow will not be an NFL QB, neither will Juice Williams. I wouldn't mind them grabbing the QB from Arizona as he has started all 4 years and can move around. In my opinion there were a lot of good developmental prospects in this year's draft, Angelo was too foolish to see that though. A player like Dennis Dixon would have been perfect for the Bears. To answer the question I think the Bears need to take the best player available, regardless of position and I hope that the player is an o-lineman. P.S. I also hope the Bears perform medicals on all of their prospect, you know just in case there is a history there.

WindyCityFlyer
08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Tebow will not be an NFL QB, neither will Juice Williams. I wouldn't mind them grabbing the QB from Arizona as he has started all 4 years and can move around. In my opinion there were a lot of good developmental prospects in this year's draft, Angelo was too foolish to see that though. A player like Dennis Dixon would have been perfect for the Bears. To answer the question I think the Bears need to take the best player available, regardless of position and I hope that the player is an o-lineman. P.S. I also hope the Bears perform medicals on all of their prospect, you know just in case there is a history there.

Why? and Why? Please Explain...

Bulldog76
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I would like to get the following :
Assuming we have a high pick in every round...

1. Derius Heyward Bey: WR Maryland...6'3 with 4.3 speed...a true outside speed threat to compliment Bennett / Hester / Davis...

2. Herman Johnson: G/T LSU... Groom him at RG for a year and let him takeover for JTait on the right side in '10...2nd ranked guard should fall to top of second round

3. Rhett Bomar: QB Sam Houston State... with the lack of top end QB talent in this draft class taking a flyer on a kid like Bomar could work out quite well.

4. Derrick Williams: WR Penn State...top prep recruit has elite speed and was productive with dated offense and poor QB play; also performed in cold weather and on special teams...nice depth for the position and makes Lloyd/Booker/Bradley expendable...

5. Rylan Reed: T Texas Tech... A pure left tackle to have as insurance for C. Williams and his back...and develop thru time as a quality backup...

6. Jason Williams: LB Western Illinois...big fast small school prospect

7. AQ Shipley: C Penn State... Someone to get Anthony Oakley out of our camp...

The General
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I would like to get the following :
Assuming we have a high pick in every round...

1. Derius Heyward Bey: WR Maryland...6'3 with 4.3 speed...a true outside speed threat to compliment Bennett / Hester / Davis...

2. Herman Johnson: G/T LSU... Groom him at RG for a year and let him takeover for JTait on the right side in '10...2nd ranked guard should fall to top of second round

3. Rhett Bomar: QB Sam Houston State... with the lack of top end QB talent in this draft class taking a flyer on a kid like Bomar could work out quite well.

4. Derrick Williams: WR Penn State...top prep recruit has elite speed and was productive with dated offense and poor QB play; also performed in cold weather and on special teams...nice depth for the position and makes Lloyd/Booker/Bradley expendable...

5. Rylan Reed: T Texas Tech... A pure left tackle to have as insurance for C. Williams and his back...and develop thru time as a quality backup...

6. Jason Williams: LB Western Illinois...big fast small school prospect

7. AQ Shipley: C Penn State... Someone to get Anthony Oakley out of our camp...

And who is going to be making these picks? it definately wont be JA, theres no way he drafts offense for the first 5 rounds straight.

cambovenzi
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
i think if we take a QB it should probably be in the 1st or 2nd.
someone who is really good, w/ potential.
not a fringe, maybe OK, type QB.

but i do agree those are probably the biggest 3 needs.
( QB, OL, #1 WR,)
i dont see a need for another WR in the fourth round however.(unless we dont keep many of the guys we have there)

CT Bears Fan
08-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I say use our 1st 3 picks on OL because we aren't allowed to sign free agents! Without a good OL we cant run or pass. We've seen throughout the last 2 decades with Dallas that a great OL can turn average QBs and RBs into hall of famers.
Before you go rippin me for using the Cowboys as the model to go by, just know that I hate them more than you do. I think Aikman and Emmitt are two of the most overrated players in the history of the NFL! However, they had the best OL every year during the 90s and were in the top 5 during the 2000s.

Bulldog76
08-28-2008, 09:40 AM
i think if we take a QB it should probably be in the 1st or 2nd.
someone who is really good, w/ potential.
not a fringe, maybe OK, type QB.

but i do agree those are probably the biggest 3 needs.
( QB, OL, #1 WR,)
i dont see a need for another WR in the fourth round however.(unless we dont keep many of the guys we have there)

Tell me which of these QBs you like the best than...
http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/qb.php

make sure you scroll down to the bottom to include Stafford and Tebow in the rankings.

frescoelmo
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
If you take a QB, go with Stafford or another younger qb who doesn't play in a spread offense. I wouldn't take Tebow simply because I don't think his arm relates well in the NFL at all. Yeah, he's a dual-threat, but honestly over half of his touchdowns last year were goalline runs. I don't see him putting up rushing numbers close to what he did last season in the SEC now that they're all seen him for a whole season.

As for Crabtree and Harvin, I would again stay away from the Florida product. Harvin has had a somewhat meaningful injury history already, and especially with how necessary it is for recievers to be able to play in different places these days, I don't know how well he holds up. Even without the injuries, I like Crabtree much better simply because he is a legitimate #1 receiver who can take 8-10 receptions a game and accumulate double digit touchdowns. Harvin to me feels like a more permanent Hester on offense.

Other than that, if you're not going to get a guy like Stafford, I would wait until 2010. There's no reason to rush to grab a franchise QB only to mess it up, and there are a lot of great passers in the sophomore class.

frescoelmo
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM

make sure you scroll down to the bottom to include Stafford and Tebow in the rankings.

What the hell is Boeckman doing at #4? I've never seen or heard of an Ohio State quarterback doing great in the NFL. It's always been linemen, backs and defense.

Btw good call on Painter, very underrated imo. A lot of people keep looking at all of these young guys from big schools, but he put on a big show last year despite their decent season. Big reason why Dustin Keller went in the first this year.

urlacher82689
08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
If we have a top 5 pick, we gotta take Tebow. If we have a mid-round pick I'd love to see us take harvin. He is just like Steve Smith but Faster.

Just Imagine Hester and Harvin Lined up opposite eachother...

cambovenzi
08-28-2008, 06:13 PM

too early.
havent played their senior or in some cases junior seasons yet.
but im sure some will step up quite a bit and be legit starting future QBs.

Bulldog76
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
^dude, we are not asking for a statement from the president...we are talking about a ficticious draft pick 7 months from now...and you are still too wishy washy to say "I like what I saw out of xyz last year" or "so and so has potential and the right measurables"...my god man, grow a pair

cambovenzi
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
chill your pants there chubs.
its way too early to tell who is going where in the draft for sure, and way too early to tell mostly who is better than who.
people will emerge as good and realistic choices later.

better not picking yet, then some scrub in the 3rd round.

you want a pick:
matthew stafford, Georgia.
so far he will MOST LIKELY go way before we pick.
might not declare, might SUCK. who knows?

almost completely pointless to be picking the QB we want before they play their junior and senior seasons.

if i dont do something, or make a prediction, that is not wishy washy.
maybe i dont feel like it. and for good reason.
stop tryin to be a little punk.

FarmioFan1
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
If the Bears pick Tim Tebow I will no longer be a Bears fan. Unless their plans are to turn him into a TE (which we don't need) or defensive player. If they do in fact draft him I suggest you all find a new team to root for for the next 3-5 years because that's how far back it will set the franchise. That would almost be as bad as the Kordell Stewart move. It would actually be worse because we'd be wasting a draft pick. I think we've already wasted enough of those on bad offensive players.

Bulldog76
08-31-2008, 10:42 AM
cambo...

lets get this straight...most of us go out and make predictions, guesses and overall comments on the team and the players...we are critical of bad draft picks, poor play and inept management...

you sit back and tell everyone the team is fine, no need to worry, no need to change the roster, you avoid commenting on who should be cut, you avoid making any comments about who we could pick in a mock draft forum (why are you in the forum if you don't care, don't know or don't want to participate)

you then criticize us for posting our comments and maintain your ambiguity... and we are punks... get bent!

Soop
08-31-2008, 01:13 PM
If the Bears pick Tim Tebow I will no longer be a Bears fan. Unless their plans are to turn him into a TE (which we don't need) or defensive player. If they do in fact draft him I suggest you all find a new team to root for for the next 3-5 years because that's how far back it will set the franchise. That would almost be as bad as the Kordell Stewart move. It would actually be worse because we'd be wasting a draft pick. I think we've already wasted enough of those on bad offensive players.

I doubt the Bears would take Tebow w/ their first pick if he's available. IF they did though, I'd still be a Bears fan no matter what just to let you know. I've been a Bears fan for 23 yrs now and I'm not going to stop because they pick a player that I don't agree with. If you're not commited you might as well jump ship now bro, BFFB.

MGB
08-31-2008, 01:29 PM

I like Stafford (He looks kinda like a chunker in his photo...), but I haven't seen a whole lot of him. I'd wanna see an improvement out of him this season.

I also can't decide if I like Graham Harrell because of the system he plays in, and guys like John Parker Wilson and Nate Longshore could be wildcards. Both could skyrocket up draft boards with a break out season.

If we were to draft Tim Tebow (unless he magically develops NFL QB ability) anytime before the 3rd round, I'd start killing small defenseless creatures. I can't see him being a 1st rounder if he comes out after this season without showing greatly improved passing skills. If he tried to do his little draw plays in the NFL, he'd end up on a stretcher halfway through the 1st quarter.

BEARCUB76
08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Sam Bradford Oklahoma!!!

bullcubbear23
08-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah^^^^^^^ not a bad option

but i think that tim tebow will be a horrible qb in the NFL

but being an Iliinois fan i liked what i saw out of Juice Williams last night vs. mizzou and i thought it was an awesome idea for him to work out with Donovan McNabb in the winter

cambovenzi
08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
cambo...

lets get this straight...most of us go out and make predictions, guesses and overall comments on the team and the players...we are critical of bad draft picks, poor play and inept management...

you sit back and tell everyone the team is fine, no need to worry, no need to change the roster, you avoid commenting on who should be cut, you avoid making any comments about who we could pick in a mock draft forum (why are you in the forum if you don't care, don't know or don't want to participate)

you then criticize us for posting our comments and maintain your ambiguity... and we are punks... get bent!

no ill just sit here, and complain about things.
and completely blow every little thing out of proportion.:rolleyes:

i never said we dont need to make moves.
but i do openly disagree with making stupid, overreacting moves.

once in awhile i am not set on a guy.
like in this case, its wayy too early to be set on which guy you want.
i did comment on who we should cut, you just complained b/c i didnt set an exact roster at first.

i dont say the team is great.
but i dont sit here and cry about it, blow things way out of proportion, and start making up stories and have an agenda of bashing everyone in sight b/c we might have a down year on offense.

i have a pretty realistic view of the team, but it seems like i am so positive to guys like you b/c i counter and post against ridiculous bashing of the team.

Soop
08-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah^^^^^^^ not a bad option

but i think that tim tebow will be a horrible qb in the NFL

but being an Iliinois fan i liked what i saw out of Juice Williams last night vs. mizzou and i thought it was an awesome idea for him to work out with Donovan McNabb in the winter

Juice wasn't that good. My boy Mark Sanchez looked real good though, he is looking like the stud I thought he would be.

Chicagofaithful
08-31-2008, 11:21 PM
TIMMY TEBOW... hes a buddy of mine... no joke i actually go out with him a decent amount... i am a homer but i love him so much, you know he can bench the second most on this team? name another qb with that strength

Bulldog76
09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Mark Sanchez did look good...I want to see it for the remainder of the year, because he could be the guy we are looking for...Tall, athletic, strong arm, good program and I watched a segment on him over the weekend and he seems like a good kid who is proud of his spanish heritage and stays close to his family...two traits the bears PR department will max out in the press.

Soop
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Mark Sanchez did look good...I want to see it for the remainder of the year, because he could be the guy we are looking for...Tall, athletic, strong arm, good program and I watched a segment on him over the weekend and he seems like a good kid who is proud of his spanish heritage and stays close to his family...two traits the bears PR department will max out in the press.

:clap: He's only going to get better. You're absolutely right on him being a good kid and all. He's my fav at the moment.

Bulldog76
09-02-2008, 01:27 PM
the only red flag i could find on sanchez was a sexual harrassment/intimidation charge that was thrown at him a few years ago...which I tend to think was immature freshman behavior...learned the hardway that you can't grab a girls ***, even if you are the qb at USC...

southside2234
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Round- Jeremy Maclin WR or Tim Tebow QB

2nd Round- William Moore SS

3rd Round- Pat White QB/WR...I personally think he is the sleeper of the draft. People say he is too small to play the QB posistion in the NFL, but hes no smaller than Troy Smith and he is very quick and elusive and has an underrated arm(RichRod never let him throw the ball) as well as a great IQ for the game.

cambovenzi
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Round- Jeremy Maclin WR or Tim Tebow QB

2nd Round- William Moore SS

3rd Round- Pat White QB/WR...I personally think he is the sleeper of the draft. People say he is too small to play the QB posistion in the NFL, but hes no smaller than Troy Smith and he is very quick and elusive and has an underrated arm(RichRod never let him throw the ball) as well as a great IQ for the game.

and troy smith isnt thought of as a good NFL QB either.

southside2234
09-02-2008, 06:28 PM
If he gains 15-20 pounds, which isnt that hard, he would be roughly the same size as Tony Romo

cambovenzi
09-02-2008, 07:42 PM
If he gains 15-20 pounds, which isnt that hard, he would be roughly the same size as Tony Romo

romo has like 32 pounds or so on him according to NFL and espn.com.
also white is an inch shorter(6'1'')

Bulldog76
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Southside...being the same size doesn't mean that he has the same talent level...Hell, Kyle Orton is about the same size as Tom Brady...should we go there?

drene54
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
who knows what we need yet, this season could have some nice suprises all i know if JA cant screw up on early round picks this year... he should be ashamed of his 07 draft class passes on several very good players for 2 guys who were already cut

Bulldog76
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh he can screw it up alright...although in my dream world, he is no longer the GM of our beloved when that time rolls around...I would like Ted Sundquist to be brought in...

Hell, if Ditka didn't trade his entire draft for Ricky Williams, he would have done a nice job in New Orleans...and if my queen had balls she'd by the king...I know I know...

700...wow...

Soop
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
700...wow...

:laugh2:

southside2234
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I know being the same size doesnt mean same talent level...but if you would watch Pat White play he is a playmaker at the QB posistion with a solid arm and knows how to run an offense. I didn't say he was a sure thing, but he is intriging in my opinion and would like to see him get a chance and the only reason i brought up size is that if he gains about 20-25 pounds, he will be able to take the hits an NFL QB takes.

Muttman73
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
OT, WR, QB, DL

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one"

Top 5 pick in every round...just wait

Bulldog76
09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I know being the same size doesnt mean same talent level...but if you would watch Pat White play he is a playmaker at the QB posistion with a solid arm and knows how to run an offense. I didn't say he was a sure thing, but he is intriging in my opinion and would like to see him get a chance and the only reason i brought up size is that if he gains about 20-25 pounds, he will be able to take the hits an NFL QB takes.

So what you are saying is that he would need to gain 20 pounds in order to stand up to the abuse...And the offense he knows how to run is a spread option offense, which is never used in the NFL...

I like his play too, it doesn't mean that he is going to be an NFL quarterback, that style of play just doesn't work at the highest level...the QB gets too beat up and the offensive line can't block when the QB is always breaking the pocket...Think of Pat White as a Tony Rice or Major Harris type player...great to watch in college and destined for the CFL or Arena Ball...