PDA

View Full Version : Can Nba/Ncaa/America Afford Jennings to Succeed?

SAVAGE CLAW
08-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Its funny how everybody went nuts about Childress and the Boutades over offering Lebron 30 millions and no one paid attention to this MUCH MUCH more dangerous for America Move.
Ok , here is the story:
Brandon Jennings, Talented guy and projected 1st pick in the draft whenever he decides to declare eligible, the guy does not want to "waste" a year in the Ncaa and decides to accept Europes Money like 500000 tax free euros a season, thats like 1500000 tax free dollars if he stays for two years.

Ok, here we go, lets analize:

First case Scenario: He does not succeed, wich i think its possible because he is going to a Euroleague team in a very Tough competition and basically Euro players dont get their Tactical Edge on Americans at that age, true Gasol or Ginobili or Parker did get a lot of Tough SEASONING while playing this kind of intense and more Pro games than those on NCAA, so they had an advantage against the Americans that played Ncaa and entered the same year , but as i said Ncaa tactical Training is as good or better than Euro Pro teams one, the difference is the Competition they face.

In europe that kind of training is given while they are growing from 10 years on, not later while in Usa in HS they basically train Phisics and leave the Mind part of the game for more experienced Ncaa coaches to work on, thats why many direct Hs to Nba players failed before and why the succesfull ones like Kg , Kobe, Bynum or Jo take 2 or 3 years to LEARN the game and start being really sucsessful.

Ok, lets assume he struggles to get minutes and decides to go back to Usa, he can`t enter Ncaa since he is a pro now but taking in consideration his past hype he still makes it into the first round of the Draft.

This woud lead for parents to think, hey , why play for free and risk a career ending injury for free here when my kid can get paid and pay a career ending injury insurance? and you know even if he fails? he is still going to get drafted..

Case scenario b:

As he is a talented guy he goes and takes Italian league by storm and averages 25 points 15 assists, becomes an absolute star and spends two years there wining his million for each of them, he gets drafted with the first pick , and of course as he has been facing MUCH tougher competition that those kids his age that remained in Ncaa he arrives much more nba ready and takes the Nba by storm too.

Ok, then talented teenagers think, oh crap!!! i want my son to do it like he did!!! he got paid and got a better preparation than any american playing Ncaa, so they start hiring agents that place their talented sons all trough europe.

Basically almost all of the best prospects decide to go to Europe , even some HS find better to go formating to Europe.

Consecuence, Ncaa gets a drop off talent, the level of its competition goes down, interest of the fans and Media goes down, and it leaves them almost Broke since sponsors start quitting.

Plus it would be a real Thorn in Americans pride side, to conceed that something about basketball is being made Better Somewhere else, not to talk how University Level of excellence would drop since the donations would go down.

So, do you think Stern, Ncaa governors and American Sports rulers and University Chairmen can afford to allow any of this to happen?.

Or will they make Jennings PAY for his decitions to use him as a deterring example for other HS players and Parents?

How?

Well case A, he fails, Stern talks Nba Gms into not drafting him and force him to play at Cba or Nbdl for some years before retiring this " secret" veto on him, to send a message to other kids, " If you go there and Fail you will never be a Nba player".

Case B he succeeds, Well if he succeds it would have no sense to hold the kid back for a long time but Stern could ask teams to Artificially take Down his draft stock and make the kid fall out of Lottery into a 17 or 18 pick, so they send this message " Ok go europe if you want, but even if you succeed as we are not sure that being succesfull in europe is better than being succesfull in the Ncaa your stock is going to drop" And a second message " Yeah you made two million abroad but now your contract sucks, if you had remained here you will be counting a top 3 pick lucrative contract".

So, Can they afford the Risk? General Managers will show UNPATRIOTIC and still get him with a High pick?

AllTheWay
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I would love to see him succed in Europe

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I fully expect him to succeed. He'll be a top pick next year

DreamShaker
08-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I think this might be a trend in the future....with the economy the way it is why not go make you some money in Europe if that's what you choose as your main priority....we have all heard the stories about how poor some of these guys are....waiting a year in college for thier families to be taken care of could be hard I imagine....

Beno7500
08-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I fully expect him to succeed. He'll be a top pick next year

:hi5:

Westbrook36
08-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Dose not hurt NBA, it hurts him more then anything. Top 5 Pick to Top 10

tkshy
08-26-2008, 01:02 AM
[/QUOTE]Case B he succeeds, Well if he succeds it would have no sense to hold the kid back for a long time but Stern could ask teams to Artificially take Down his draft stock and make the kid fall out of Lottery into a 17 or 18 pick, so they send this message " Ok go europe if you want, but even if you succeed as we are not sure that being succesfull in europe is better than being succesfull in the Ncaa your stock is going to drop" And a second message " Yeah you made two million abroad but now your contract sucks, if you had remained here you will be counting a top 3 pick lucrative contract".

So, Can they afford the Risk? General Managers will show UNPATRIOTIC and still get him with a High pick?[/QUOTE]

Let's just use this part for a second. IF (big if) he succeeds who is to say he will want to come back. Have you ever been to Europe. It is beatiful. The women are incredible and they treat their sports stars like GODS. He could end up (if he succeeds) making more money, more endorsements and that is when it would really hurt the US.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-26-2008, 01:05 AM
^ errrr uhhhhhh i live in Spain you know? ;)

jetsfan28
08-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Why would the NBA care if they don't go to the NCAA? They're two completely different organizations, it doesn't affect them. As long as he comes to the NBA it doesn't hurt them at all.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-26-2008, 01:15 AM
Im basing the speculation in the fact that Stern holds extremely good relationship with Ncaa Board , a prove of wich the Age limit rule is.

He may also have some doubts , because imagine , top young talent goes to europe, they like it and decide to stay there winning more money than they would win with a 10 to 30 pick draft slot and play in nba only when they are over 24 so UNRESTRICTED FA, could be a real problem for the league too.

grega1976
08-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I think it is good for the NBA and hope that Jennings is succesful.. I don't blame him one bit for wanting to make his money while he can.. and the wear and tear of the Italian league isn't nearly as stressful to your body as NBA season. Basketball is heading global.. I don't think it will be too long until there is are games between champions of European leagues and the NBA.. I can't wait.

Hellcrooner
08-26-2008, 03:10 AM
I think its very dangerous and may lead to nba taking DRASTICAL changes on their rules.

Basicaly, if young layers go europe beause they wanna get paid isnted of risking his careers in Ncaa for nothing.

Restricted Fa ( Childress) ar offered more money abroad.

And some Crazy Zillionaire is able to take the first START offerign him 30 million euros.

Bye bye to Nba.

So, yes i would use Jennings as an Exemplificatin scape goat and do all the harm i could if i was Stern.

Hellcrooner
08-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Oh and i disagree with you claw i think he is going to do great in ROme, thier scouts are not Idiots, and you knwo that you can only have TWO no europeans on yur roster.

THey woudln trisk that spot with some uncertain guy....

dick butane
08-26-2008, 03:35 AM
There is a strange almost racist bent to basketball players being forced into the NCAA to earn a check mark from educators and fans. In golf, tennis, skiing, soccer... hell even snowboarding you can be a pro as soon as someone pays you.

Also the institutions that are members of the NCAA can make as much money off their basketball programs as they can squeeze out of it. They can stitch swooshes on to all the jerseys and adorn the walls of their stadium with ads for car dealerships and credit cards. They (colleges) form groups called "conferences" where they share in filthy rich television deals. When all the while the dozen kids per team the fans tune in to see are not allowed to share in the cash... if they do they will be banned from playing. The sweating servants of the system that put the butts in the seats to build the arenas are only entitled to "attend" the college for free plus room, books, and food. Millions are made while inner-city kids toil to get an education in something other than what they want to make a living in.

How about the NCAA makes it OK for a kid to sign endorsement deals and still remain eligible to play?
How about 10% of all NCAA ticket sales and jersey replicas go into an account that would provide tuition for NCAA athletes that want to go to graduate school after they have exhausted their playing eligibility? Or maybe just trustfunds that are rewarded by the number of seasons a player played?
I hope Europe starts grabbing 16 year olds as soon as SLAM and Sporting News starts printing their names. In a capitalist society the worker is entitled to a paycheck as soon as the elite start using that worker. The NCAA should either give the profits to charity or start paying the players.

dick butane
08-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Also.... What if Jennings never comes back? Say he plays well and is offered 3-4 million for two more years in Europe... Then the bigger contracts keep coming.... Soon entering the draft would be such a dramatic paycut he might never consider it. What if Jennings is the reverse of Dominique Wilkins? He plays his whole career (a spectacular one) in Europe and finishes his playing days with a brief stint in the NBA.

JWalk126
08-26-2008, 03:54 AM
What if Jennings is the reverse of Dominique Wilkins? He plays his whole career (a spectacular one) in Europe and finishes his playing days with a brief stint in the NBA.

that would be pretty cool IF it happens

jetsfan28
08-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Also.... What if Jennings never comes back? Say he plays well and is offered 3-4 million for two more years in Europe... Then the bigger contracts keep coming.... Soon entering the draft would be such a dramatic paycut he might never consider it. What if Jennings is the reverse of Dominique Wilkins? He plays his whole career (a spectacular one) in Europe and finishes his playing days with a brief stint in the NBA.

3-4 million for 2 years is probably less than he 'd get on a rookie scale contract, that would be a pay cut, not going to the NBA

JWalk126
08-26-2008, 04:45 AM
3-4 million for 2 years is probably less than he 'd get on a rookie scale contract, that would be a pay cut, not going to the NBA

thats probably the net value

fredv
08-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Let's just use this part for a second. IF (big if) he succeeds who is to say he will want to come back. Have you ever been to Europe. It is beatiful. The women are incredible and they treat their sports stars like GODS. He could end up (if he succeeds) making more money, more endorsements and that is when it would really hurt the US.

Maybe but basketball isn't that popular in Europe. I live in Europe and most people don't even know the euroleague exists.

Anyways,
I hope he will be a star and suceed. It would put the americans in a position where they have to upgrade in order to attrack kids once again. If ever your "disaster" plan tends to happen.

fredv
08-26-2008, 07:23 AM
I also think that not all HS players are going to go to Europe. Not everybody is ready to leave there family and friends.

Great thread btw.

Rome
08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think it will become a huge trend but I do see it happening again with less talented players. Jennings decided to take the money and learn and develope his game overseas.

Don't think this hurts the NBA or NCAA though. There will always be those type of players looking at a money standpoint but what do most players want? A championship. National championship and nba championship.

If for some reason he fails then I don't really see that many more good players following in his footsteps. Being an ASU fan I'm glad to see him go overseas, but as a basketball fan I'm a little disappointed.

ddudeman0101
08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
I think that going to Europe might hurt Jennings. If you look at the past few years where players went to college they gained name recognition by their play in the regular season and tournament who had heard of Stephen Curry before last year and he could now be a first round pick. This year he is going to fall of the map sort of as who in the US pays attention to the euroleague. If I remember right wasn't he possibly not going to be eligible to play because his grades weren't good enough so Europe was really his only choice.

grega1976
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
There is a strange almost racist bent to basketball players being forced into the NCAA to earn a check mark from educators and fans. In golf, tennis, skiing, soccer... hell even snowboarding you can be a pro as soon as someone pays you.

Also the institutions that are members of the NCAA can make as much money off their basketball programs as they can squeeze out of it. They can stitch swooshes on to all the jerseys and adorn the walls of their stadium with ads for car dealerships and credit cards. They (colleges) form groups called "conferences" where they share in filthy rich television deals. When all the while the dozen kids per team the fans tune in to see are not allowed to share in the cash... if they do they will be banned from playing. The sweating servants of the system that put the butts in the seats to build the arenas are only entitled to "attend" the college for free plus room, books, and food. Millions are made while inner-city kids toil to get an education in something other than what they want to make a living in.

How about the NCAA makes it OK for a kid to sign endorsement deals and still remain eligible to play?
How about 10% of all NCAA ticket sales and jersey replicas go into an account that would provide tuition for NCAA athletes that want to go to graduate school after they have exhausted their playing eligibility? Or maybe just trustfunds that are rewarded by the number of seasons a player played?
I hope Europe starts grabbing 16 year olds as soon as SLAM and Sporting News starts printing their names. In a capitalist society the worker is entitled to a paycheck as soon as the elite start using that worker. The NCAA should either give the profits to charity or start paying the players.

that is stupid.. A) How can something be racist if it effects all players white, black, purple, green, or polka-dotted.. B) the NBA is not the only one to do it, the NFL has a quasi-age restriction by having a requirement to be out of high-school for X number of years. There are two reasons that the NBA inacted the rule.. 1) Teams were drafting highschool kids that didn't contribute for 4-5 yrs which really hurt the NBA's product. B) The kids were getting their money and acting like fools.. And just so you know the NCAA uses a good portion of that money so that schools can offer scholarships to those kids so they can get a free education.

Hellcrooner
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
more important yet, the money from endorsementes that universitys make for their Ncaa teams allows to pay the education of Intelligent but Poor citizens that other way wouldnt have been able to get to their degrees.

grega1976
08-26-2008, 08:27 PM
more important yet, the money from endorsementes that universitys make for their Ncaa teams allows to pay the education of Intelligent but Poor citizens that other way wouldnt have been able to get to their degrees.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LA_Raiders
08-27-2008, 12:18 AM
They can do whatever they want...

narekolo
08-27-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't think it will become a huge trend but I do see it happening again with less talented players. Jennings decided to take the money and learn and develope his game overseas.

Don't think this hurts the NBA or NCAA though. There will always be those type of players looking at a money standpoint but what do most players want? A championship. National championship and nba championship.

If for some reason he fails then I don't really see that many more good players following in his footsteps. Being an ASU fan I'm glad to see him go overseas, but as a basketball fan I'm a little disappointed.

HAHA dont forget about the financial aspect of it my frend...

Trust me if u offer someone hell of a lot of more money to play in a different league or a bad team they would take it over a championship....unless its long time veterans who have already done everything besides winning that championship...

Why do u think shaq n kobe split up...its all business n almost all of the players would take the money

dick butane
08-27-2008, 01:05 AM

Not with the Euro squashing the dollar at the current rate. 3-4 mill in Euroes is almost 5-6 mill in dollars. Also I was insinuating the contracts would keep getting larger.

Hellcrooner
08-27-2008, 01:05 AM
well beleive me , winning euroleague or an italian, greek, russian or spanish league is better than wining NCaA.

you know? they are pro leagues.

80% of the players on Ncaa stop playing basket once they graduate because they wouldnt be good enough to mke a living of it.

dick butane
08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
that is stupid.. A) How can something be racist if it effects all players white, black, purple, green, or polka-dotted.. B) the NBA is not the only one to do it, the NFL has a quasi-age restriction by having a requirement to be out of high-school for X number of years. There are two reasons that the NBA inacted the rule.. 1) Teams were drafting highschool kids that didn't contribute for 4-5 yrs which really hurt the NBA's product. B) The kids were getting their money and acting like fools.. And just so you know the NCAA uses a good portion of that money so that schools can offer scholarships to those kids so they can get a free education.

Because the two sports (basketball and football) that bring in the majority of US collegiate dollars are played primarily by minority students.

I have nothing against the NBA or NFL setting age limits and didn't post that I did. I wrote educators and fans. My critique was NCAA rules and regulations preventing players from pocketing money in a capitalist society. Produce some numbers on "good portion of that money". Free education has a value it is called tuition which ranges low and high based on the universities exclusivity and percentage of state funding. If the athlete decided to pay his own tuition what problem would you have with him signing an endorsement deal in college? The NCAA has the problem because they see that money as exclusively theirs.

Hellcrooner
08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
^ well there are a LOT of rules in american sports that dont even remotely Fill the bill for a Capitalist system.....

Trade ufdge? Draft? you dont have freedom of choice where to work and gfor how much? Salary Limits? Salary Caps? you cant put the money you want to make your bussines more profitable?

Nba its like COMMIE!!!!

GSRaider
08-27-2008, 11:42 AM
College isn't for everyone... Jennings is going to have a great experience in Europe.

+ If things for some reason don't work out, you can always re-enroll in school...

Rome
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Narekolo, I'm with you on the whole money issue, but for the good players, the money is gonna be there. I can see a lot of less talented player playing over seas for the money but not that many superstar type players.

I agree with you though, if someone asked me to play in the NBA and they'd pay me a mill to play with the best in the L and then another guy came up to me and said he'd pay me 3 mill to play over seas with a team called the Spanish fruit cakes, I'd go for the money.

ackar
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Great post

I wish that both the players and all leagues succeed. Love to see a true world champion for a chnage.

bogdanrom
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
What do you mean can they afford him succeeding? This is their fault if any. They just need to shut up, and stay in the bench. They can't to anything about it right now. I mean this was going to happen sooner or later. I'm surprised it took so long. The top basketball players don't care if they go to college, they care about making money as soon as possible.

grega1976
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Because the two sports (basketball and football) that bring in the majority of US collegiate dollars are played primarily by minority students.

I have nothing against the NBA or NFL setting age limits and didn't post that I did. I wrote educators and fans. My critique was NCAA rules and regulations preventing players from pocketing money in a capitalist society. Produce some numbers on "good portion of that money". Free education has a value it is called tuition which ranges low and high based on the universities exclusivity and percentage of state funding. If the athlete decided to pay his own tuition what problem would you have with him signing an endorsement deal in college? The NCAA has the problem because they see that money as exclusively theirs.

I would have no problem with it if they paid their own tuition.. however out of the THOUSANDS of student-atheletes getting a free ride, what percent do you think would get lucrative enough endorsements to cover what thier scholarship does? I bet it would be less than 3%. Way less. Let's take USC as an example. One of the biggest name teams in college football. Of 40 something scholarship players how many would you give money to for a shoe deal? The answer is probably none.. College atheletes (most) are just not marketable... I understand your argument, and agree that these schools make rediculous amounts of money off these kids. However, it is not one sided at all.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2008, 02:44 PM
If Jennings wants to leave, then let him. He's just another ignorant American putting a game above higher education in a socially applicable discipline, which is more useful to society.

WatWoudJordanDo
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Duke, UNC, FL, ILL, UCLA and so many more could put on scrub teams and those stadiums would still be packed. even if he does suceed and the NCAA gets watered down, it wont hurt the schools as much as tv ratings and such, but it wont be that bad unless u expect CBS to drop march madness for the Euro finals