PDA

View Full Version : Youk Al Mvp?????

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1114790 this shall covince all of you.....just look at the numbers think about where we'd be without him. chicago can do without him they have 3 dudes who hit 25+ homers. no more youuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk time for MVP....MVP...MVP!!!!!

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
hes gotta be in the discussion. I think its Quention, Hamilton, YOuk and Justin M from the twins. One of those four should win it

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 07:05 PM
hamilton is on a losing team so he probably wont be considered.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 01:47 AM
I think it's probably going to be Carlos Quentin...Hamilton might get alot of votes based on sentamentality, and besides...he is having a ridiculous year. Youkilis has been great...but I'm fairly convinced he's not going to get it.

Bronx77
08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1114790 this shall covince all of you.....just look at the numbers think about where we'd be without him. chicago can do without him they have 3 dudes who hit 25+ homers. no more youuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk time for MVP....MVP...MVP!!!!!

ha, NO.

sboyajian
08-26-2008, 08:00 AM
ha, NO.

if you aren't going to back up the "No".. then you have no business saying it.

The Intimidator
08-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Youk's numbers certainly warrant consideration. If I had a vote, I would vote for him, cuz I'm such a homer. :D However, I still feel that Hamilton is the front runner, and unless he completely falls off, he should win it. The fact that he is on a losing team won't affect the ammount of votes he gets. A-Rod won MVP in 2003 despite being on a 71-91 Rangers team.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Haha...if I had a vote I'd vote for him just because he's a Red Sox too! But objectively...I gotta go with either Hamilton or Quentin.

Tragedy
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
He's not going to win it, but he'll surely get some well deserved consideration.

It's pretty cool to see Youkilis put together this type of season. I know many people had doubts on if he could do it for an ENTIRE season.

CanadianSoxFan
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

What is it about these numbers that convinces you? Quentin has more runs, rbi, hr, more walks than the greek god himself and less strike outs. He also has a higher obp and slugging. As much as I love Youk, I just don't think it's that close.

Osiagledknarf
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Curiously enough...he's not even Greek, he's Romanian.

PapelbonLester
08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
What is it about these numbers that convinces you? Quentin has more runs, rbi, hr, more walks than the greek god himself and less strike outs. He also has a higher obp and slugging. As much as I love Youk, I just don't think it's that close.

ok now u take quentin of the ****in white sox and where are they??????? probably same place. you take youk off the sox where are we???? probably 3rd place with no chance to make the playoffs. he deffently better be considered top 3.... youk, quentin and hamilton... then cross off hamilton cuz they suck and you got youk and quentin. MVP... MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to their team imo is youk WAY over quentin not just cuz i love the sox its just that without youk we'd be watching NFL preseason.

MVPOrtiz201
08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
While I don't think Youk will win it, it is an honor for him to even be in the discussion, and I think its a testiment to what kind of year he is having. PapelbonLester, I don't think what you say is true. Quentin has been extremely valuable to his team, not saying Youk hasn't, but I do not believe the white sox would be in the "same place" as where they are currently sitting without his production.

homie564
08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
you guys know whats great... for the first time i think ever a sox and yanks player are not battling for mvp... the yanks imo have noone even considerable besides maybe a-rod and he wont win it.. youk wont win i think itll go to quentin or hamilton or maybe even szemore.. common how has his name not been brought up yet.. take grady off the tribe and they win 20 games this season

RedSoxtober
08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
ok now u take quentin of the ****in white sox and where are they??????? probably same place. you take youk off the sox where are we???? probably 3rd place with no chance to make the playoffs. he deffently better be considered top 3.... youk, quentin and hamilton... then cross off hamilton cuz they suck and you got youk and quentin. MVP... MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to their team imo is youk WAY over quentin not just cuz i love the sox its just that without youk we'd be watching NFL preseason.

And PapelbonLester with another arrogant, over-the-top rant.

Crucis
08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
While I don't expect that Youk will win the MVP, I also don't really see Hamilton as a particularly serious contender either. It's pretty much a given that you only get a MVP off a non-contending team when there are no serious MVP candidates on the playoff contenders. It may not be an official standard for the award, but it is the way it works out.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Dude, if you're going to spout off like this, please know what you're talking about. By AL OPS the Sox had three of the top six hitters for the vast majority of this season, Youk, Drew and Manny and they were 4-5-6 in the rankings. The White Sox had Quentin at #3 and Dye at #8. Please don't say the Sox wouldn't suffer more from losing Youk.

celticfan
08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I lovwe Youk, but think that Quentin will win it

The Intimidator
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Dude, are you kidding me? Quentin IS their offense. Dye has put up numbers, but has done so very quietly. Quentin has been their most clutch hitter, with Konerko struggling all year long and Thome being on and off throughout the season. Don't believe me, look for yourself. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=6192

SocksPhan
08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Youk will come in third inthe voting - that my guess

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:13 AM
MVP... MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to their team imo is youk WAY over quentin not just cuz i love the sox its just that without youk we'd be watching NFL preseason.

Um...without Quentin, White Sox fans would be doing the same thing...sooo, yeah.

you guys know whats great... for the first time i think ever a sox and yanks player are not battling for mvp... the yanks imo have noone even considerable besides maybe a-rod and he wont win it.. youk wont win i think itll go to quentin or hamilton or maybe even szemore.. common how has his name not been brought up yet.. take grady off the tribe and they win 20 games this season

I think Sizemore definitely deserves recognition at least...we know he's not going to win it, but he definitely deserves a nod. He's got an MVP in his future anyway.

NESports2004
08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
He's not going to win it, but he'll surely get some well deserved consideration.

It's pretty cool to see Youkilis put together this type of season. I know many people had doubts on if he could do it for an ENTIRE season.

he still hasnt

NESports2004
08-27-2008, 08:46 AM
also chicago doesnt make the playoffs and we do then youk wins it, or visa versa

BTownTeamsRKing
08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
how can someone on a team that doesnt make the playoffs win MVP?

in the description of the award, it states "the player the contributes the most to his team's success. not making the playoffs is NOT SUCCESS.

Youk or Quentin will win it depending on which team has the better record. at least thats how i beleive it should be based for this year.

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
how can someone on a team that doesnt make the playoffs win MVP?

in the description of the award, it states "the player the contributes the most to his team's success. not making the playoffs is NOT SUCCESS.

Youk or Quentin will win it depending on which team has the better record. at least thats how i beleive it should be based for this year.

I'd actually go with PapelbonLester on that. I think you're defining 'success' too narrowly. It's been a debated topic and we can certainly disagree but a team that loses 2/3 of it's games could still have success if they were entering rebuilding mode. The Orioles, for example, will declare the season a victory if they win 81 games (might be a stretch) because their goal was to reach .500 this season. It's not playoff success... but it's success as they set out their plans.

Maybe a more realistic example... what about the WC contender that finishes a game out of the playoffs? Let's say the Twins and Rays finish strong and edge their respective Sox rivals for first place. One of the two Sox clubs misses the WC... does that really mean that both Youk and Quentin would not be eligible for the award? That's absurd.

I agree with the idea that the MVP only comes from losing teams if either there are no clear candidates on winning teams or the player's stats are just impossible to ignore. A-Rod would have won last year if the Yankees had been 70-92.

This year there are viable candidates on the contenders. It may well be that September decides the MVP race as well as the playoff positions.

sager729
08-27-2008, 09:18 AM

OK I am sorry but you are just wrong. If you take Quentin off the White Sox they are not in 1st place. He carried the White Sox along with Crede for the 1st 2 or 3 months. Also Quentin just has better #s than Youk. I still say that the top 5 in voting in order will be Quentin MVP, Youkilis, Hamilton, Morneau and Dye.

lil'papi
08-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Um...without Quentin, White Sox fans would be doing the same thing...sooo, yeah.

I DOUBT IT, they have the BEARS out there.

I think Sizemore definitely deserves recognition at least...we know he's not going to win it, but he definitely deserves a nod. He's got an MVP in his future anyway.

Sizemore, you think we could swing a deal for him too. :p

PapelbonLester
08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Dude, are you kidding me? Quentin IS their offense. Dye has put up numbers, but has done so very quietly. Quentin has been their most clutch hitter, with Konerko struggling all year long and Thome being on and off throughout the season. Don't believe me, look for yourself. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=6192

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA look at their other players dude. they have 4 guys that have over 20 homers. 2 over 30 homers. thats without griffey. im not going to argue this anymore but there offense is down right DIRTY with or WITHOUT him. take him out of the lineup and you still have

O Cabrera
A Pierzynski
J Dye
J Thome
K Griffey Jr
A Ramirez
N Swisher
P Konerko
J Uribe

without youk we have

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Ortiz
Lowell
Bay
Casey
Vtek
Lowrie
Crisp

imo we take the bigger hit

ERLynx
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
ha, NO.

You're right. Lets give it to Shelley Duncan.

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Sizemore, you think we could swing a deal for him too. :p

Haha...you're killing me.

SocksPhan
08-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I think Youk could do it if he has an awesome september...like a 8HR 25 RBI month and they overtake the Rays

King Henrik
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
i dont see what is so special about quentin that would make him the MVP. Youk seems like a very viable candidate if Quentin is his best competition. looking at the stats on the OP, Youk is only a little bit behind in most of the Hitting categories but way ahead in Batting Average, and nobody beats Youk on D.

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I think people are letting their Red Sox pride get in the way a little bit. I'm a huge Red Sox fan, and I love Youkilis...but you can't deny that Quentin has had an amazing year and greatly helped the White Sox in what they're trying to do.

Aside from who deserves it more...to ignore or marginalize Quentin's contribution is silly.

Nighthawk
08-28-2008, 12:08 AM
I think Pedroia has to be in the convo.

-hes top 5 in batting average.
-2nd in hits'
-top 5 in doubles
-2nd in runs scored
-he has 15 homers and 68 rbis. could very well end up with 20 HRs and 80 + rbis
-hes had clutch hit after clutch hit this season
-hes a possible gold glove candidate

im not saying he will or even should.

Quentin, Hamilton, or Morneau will likely get the award

Pedey def deserves to be talked about

goshhhjosh
08-28-2008, 11:38 AM

I am in agreement. Youk is having a great year and has helped the club out tremendously while hitting in the 4-spot, but what Pedroia does day in and day out is extraordinary. The guy played through most of the postseason with a broken bone in his hand. He's the type of guy that you would damn if you played against him, but without Pedroia I don't think this team would be anywhere near where we are right now. I don't see him getting the award. I just detest when a player on a losing team or a team that doesn't make the playoffs gets the mvp...

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I just detest when a player on a losing team or a team that doesn't make the playoffs gets the mvp...

Heh...that doesn't bother me so much. I know what the award criteria are, but if a guy puts together a monster year and keeps his team relevant or achieve organizational goals, he deserves recognition.

That being said, the bias against MVP's coming from losing teams is already pretty strong among those who vote...so if I guy is able to put together MVP numbers on a losing team and actually win it...wow, good for him.

goldglove212
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM

-hes top 5 in batting average.
-2nd in hits'
-top 5 in doubles
-2nd in runs scored
-he has 15 homers and 68 rbis. could very well end up with 20 HRs and 80 + rbis
-hes had clutch hit after clutch hit this season
-hes a possible gold glove candidate

im not saying he will or even should.

Quentin, Hamilton, or Morneau will likely get the award

Pedey def deserves to be talked about

aside from all the fighting yesterday we had aboiut the peeing
i agree with you i think he should absoultely be considered if he keeps hitting like he is