PDA

View Full Version : The 7 best conference

Dalionking
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Posted by Chris Burke August 24, 2008 21:41PM
Categories: U-M Football
Previous topic: 9 Heisman sleepers; 8 busts

Current topic: The 7 best D-I conferences (in order)

7. Mountain West: This group is pretty top heavy - BYU, TCU and Utah could all spoil a lot of teams' plans in 2008, and Air Force and New Mexico should be decent. The bottom four are all pretty mediocre, though.

6. Big East: Thanks to West Virginia, South Florida and now Pitt, the Big East threatened to move higher up this list. There could wind up being a steep dropoff here too - UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville and Rutgers could either be 8-9 win teams or wind up struggling to make a bowl. And don't even get me started on Syracuse.

5. ACC: Clemson and Virginia Tech could be national title contenders, Miami will be better, and there's Wake Forest, Florida State and North Carolina out there. But Boston College figures to be down, and Virginia, Duke and Maryland may not combine for 10 wins.

4. Pac-10: It's hard to put a conference with USC down here at No. 4. Still, behind the Trojans, there is an Oregon team with huge QB issues, inconsistent Arizona State and then a gaggle of teams fighting to get in the upper division.

3. Big Ten: Tough to justify putting the Big Ten into the top two. Still, this conference is better than it gets credit for - Ohio State will contend for a third straight BCS title berth, Wisconsin is a 10-win team again, and Michigan won't struggle for long. Add in rising Illinois and Michigan State, and there is strength here from 1-10 at least. Sorry, Minnesota.

2. SEC: Let the expletives fly, SEC fans. But stick with me here - Georgia and Florida will contend for the title, and maybe LSU and Auburn could sneak up into the 10-win group as well. But every team below Georgia and Florida in the SEC East could struggle mightily this season (especially with Kentucky and Tennessee down Andre Woodson and Erik Ainge, respectively). Same thing on the West side - Alabama has been up-and-down, Mississippi State can't score, Arkansas is rebuilding and Ole Miss the same. Plus, the Big 12 is stacked.

1. Big 12: I had Oklahoma in the BCS title game, and see at least five Big 12 teams - OU, Missouri, Kansas, Texas and Texas Tech - contending for BCS games. Add in an explosive Oklahoma State team, always-tough Texas A&M, improving Colorado and Nebraska ... well, you see where I'm going. SEC fans will argue about top-to-bottom strength. But stack me up Baylor, Kansas State and Iowa State against Vandy, Kentucky and Ole Miss/Arkansas - I tell ya, it's not a big difference this year, and the top Big 12 teams are better.

Dalionking
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
how do you put the sec behind the big 12? come on. the big 12? texas and OU are the only good teams there. miz and kansas were flukes and ill not be the same. A & M and osu are a joke with texas tech being able to beat alot of teams but not the top 20 because they dont have the athletes not counting crabtree. i wouldnt even put then 2nd

SmthBluCitrus
08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't know -- the Big 12 is pretty loaded. Kansas may have been a fluke, but I don't know about Mizzou. Chase Daniel is a stud, plus they have Maclin and that TE. Maybe they mean that the Big 12 is more solid top to bottom than the SEC.

BullsFan_1
08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with the list other than the top two.

The SEC is the best conference in the nation.

Florida
Georgia
LSU
Tennessee
Auburn
Alabama
Hell...even Kentucky

Compared to:

Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas
Texas Tech
Possibly Kansas

It may be fairly close, but the SEC is the best.

Dalionking
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
i would have to say that the big 12 will be back to normal again this year which is 2 good teams and a few above average and the rest are forgotten.