PDA

View Full Version : MIPs of Olympic Basketball

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
The Most Important Players. Kobe and D-Wade are obvious choices. Carlos Delfino...not so much.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/08/24/olympic-basketballs-most-important-players/

Vidball
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Wade really was a beast....Kobe/LeBron/Wade were definitely the core of the team. If the Heat & Cavs are good enough to contend for a top seed out East I expect all 3 of these guys to be in the running for MVP this season.

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Wade really was a beast....Kobe/LeBron/Wade were definitely the core of the team. If the Heat & Cavs are good enough to contend for a top seed out East I expect all 3 of these guys to be in the running for MVP this season.

I think D-Wade will make a strong play for MVP, like you said. He's playing with an intensity that I've seen from him before. Last time he was playing like this, the Heat won the title.

rapswin98
08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
kobe stepped up when he needed to and wade is the man

Hawkeye15
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I think D-Wade will make a strong play for MVP, like you said. He's playing with an intensity that I've seen from him before. Last time he was playing like this, the Heat won the title.

The Heat don't have a 7'1" 350 lb center that averages 20-10 though. And Marion is not the answer. Playoff basketball is a lot different, if you don't have 1-5 covered, goodnight.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2008, 12:26 PM
The Most Important Players. Kobe and D-Wade are obvious choices. Carlos Delfino...not so much.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/08/24/olympic-basketballs-most-important-players/

I think the most obvious choices are LeBron and Wade. Ginoboli before he got hurt. Kobe would have a weak case of being ahead of Bosh or Paul if you are talking the whole tournament. He showed up for 10 minutes, but he didn't do that much before that. And didn't Wade have 27 in the gold medal game? Plus a clutch 3?

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I think the most obvious choices are LeBron and Wade. Ginoboli before he got hurt. Kobe would have a weak case of being ahead of Bosh or Paul if you are talking the whole tournament. He showed up for 10 minutes, but he didn't do that much before that. And didn't Wade have 27 in the gold medal game? Plus a clutch 3?

I agree that Kobe struggled earlier in the tournament. But he came up big when his team needed him the most. I was definitely impressed by Chris Bosh's play. And Chris Paul did a good job. But Kobe deserves to be mentioned before those two in MIP discussions.

_Sn1P3r_
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
kobe stepped up when he needed to and wade is the man

:nod:

Kenny
08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Lebron James brought it every night. He had no bad games.

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Lebron James brought it every night. He had no bad games.

True. I love LeBron. He did an excellent job.

still1ballin
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Team Usa beat every team in an average of 20+ ppg excluding the gold medal game...now if you take kobe out of every other game other than the gold medal game, they would of still won, maybe with a 10+ or 15+ pt margin.....if you would of taken kobe out of the gold medal game against Spain, Usa would of probably lost that game.

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Team Usa beat every team in an average of 20+ ppg excluding the gold medal game...now if you take kobe out of every other game other than the gold medal game, they would of still won, maybe with a 10+ or 15+ pt margin.....if you would of taken kobe out of the gold medal game against Spain, Usa would of probably lost that game.

That's very debatable. You don't think D-Wade and LeBron would have rose to the occasion? Kobe did take over, but I don't think he's the only one who is capable of doing so.

With that said, hats off to Kobe for a brilliant performance. I don't want to take anything away from him.

Vidball
08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, no need to bash anyone or put anyone on a pedestal....this really was an awesome team effort and it seemed like there was a different leader for almost every game. Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Paul, Bosh, Melo...everyone played an important part--even the guys like Prince and Redd that only got spot minutes...everybody came ready to play, nobody complained, and every member put the team first. I don't think this team was better than the '92 team, but I had even more fun watching this team than the original DT.

SwaggaIke
08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Great team effort from everybody. Ef individuals. Everybody except Michael Redd had a part in those brilliant performances. Congrats to all of them...except Michael Redd.

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Great team effort from everybody. Ef individuals. Everybody except Michael Redd had a part in those brilliant performances. Congrats to all of them...except Michael Redd.

Wow. Huge Michael Redd hater. He contributed just as much as Boozer. Why so much hatred for Redd and not Booz?

In fact, why the hatred at all? Redd was the only consistent outside shooting through the first three or four games of the tournament.

roo3flash
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM

wade was the best that game...kobe took over for like four minutes nd he becomes instant mvp lol...wade took over the game when kobe nd lebron couldnt play defense nd got in foul trouble...without wades 21 1st half points we would been down by like 10 goin in to the 2nd half nd we probably would of lost the game b4 it really started

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
wade was the best that game...kobe took over for like four minutes nd he becomes instant mvp lol...wade took over the game when kobe nd lebron couldnt play defense nd got in foul trouble...without wades 21 1st half points we would been down by like 10 goin in to the 2nd half nd we probably would of lost the game b4 it really started

In their defense (no pun intended), the referring that game was really out of whack. They called ridiculously tacky fouls on LeBron and Kobe early on.

fredv
08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
IMO Kobe didn't improve. He was already that good.

Wade was the MIP on the block. Really happy he could come back from the injury.

oldenpolynice
08-25-2008, 07:06 PM
IMO Kobe didn't improve. He was already that good.

Wade was the MIP on the block. Really happy he could come back from the injury.

I'm a big D-Wade fan. Glad to see him back, too. He's a terrific talent.

Hawkeye15
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM

totally disagree. LeBron, Wade, or Paul would have made it happen. They didn't need Kobe to win by the margin they were winning by. Sorry. Kobe wanted the spotlight, he took it. A few other guys would have done the same thing. And beside, Kobe was outscored by the position he was responsible for guarding, Fernandez had 22 to Kobe's 20. ???

amos1er
08-25-2008, 10:19 PM
totally disagree. LeBron, Wade, or Paul would have made it happen. They didn't need Kobe to win by the margin they were winning by. Sorry. Kobe wanted the spotlight, he took it. A few other guys would have done the same thing. And beside, Kobe was outscored by the position he was responsible for guarding, Fernandez had 22 to Kobe's 20. ???

Kobe wasn't guarding him for most of the game. He was in foul trouble for three quarters.

Kobe was the secret weapon for team USA. They brought him on for that sole purpose. When things got rough, they unleashed the Mamba.

tbron
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM
The Heat don't have a 7'1" 350 lb center that averages 20-10 though. And Marion is not the answer. Playoff basketball is a lot different, if you don't have 1-5 covered, goodnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2FHoXPF8E&feature=related

he will be a 20-10 guy with in 2 years

Zefflin
08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Kobe was the secret weapon for team USA. They brought him on for that sole purpose. When things got rough, they unleashed the Mamba.

The Mamba was barely around, the Doberman was much more efficient throughout.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
How Bout Javktokas, Rudy Fernandez, Scola, Mills...... God how much Egocentrism....

By the way i think Dwight was the Difference maker for the Usa.

grega1976
08-25-2008, 11:49 PM
why the hell is everyone debating who did what? our country won a gold medal for ****s sake... do you think if spain would have won the gold their fans would have been talkin **** or say who did better than who? its ****in stupid..

DreamShaker
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Boozer.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
No we Wouldnt, one of the keys why we were there and did put a fight is because every member of the team is equally important that the other, we just move the ball and let the one on a good night shoot.

Pau carries this Humblity even to his Nba game, guess thats why he is underrated.... should he stop looking for an open team mate and shoot more to get 25 ppg?

DreamShaker
08-26-2008, 12:19 AM
No we Wouldnt, one of the keys why we were there and did put a fight is because every member of the team is equally important that the other, we just move the ball and let the one on a good night shoot.

Pau carries this Humblity even to his Nba game, guess thats why he is underrated.... should he stop looking for an open team mate and shoot more to get 25 ppg?

Pau played just fine in the Olympics....

grega1976
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Pau played just fine in the Olympics....
:confused:

SwaggaIke
08-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Wow. Huge Michael Redd hater. He contributed just as much as Boozer. Why so much hatred for Redd and not Booz?

In fact, why the hatred at all? Redd was the only consistent outside shooting through the first three or four games of the tournament.

Bro, you're absolutely right. Boozer didn't do a goddamn thing. I almost forgot the man was even on the team. Booze = Redd. They shouldn't have any shame, they have gold medals. Even if they Jon Salley'd (Bulls and Laker fans know what I mean) their way to them. Redd shot terribly throughout the entire olympic tournament. AND THAT WAS HIS SOLE PURPOSE. Say what you like about Kobe, but he came through on his sole purpose for being on the team. Defense and leadership. Redd didn't even come through on what he was supposed to. And neither did Boozer. See, I mentioned Boozer, but Boozer saw very limited time. Redd had his opportunities. Reality is reality my dude.