PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox acquire Mark Kotsay for Luis Sumoza

futureheisman
08-24-2008, 08:53 PM
The Brewers and Red Sox are both showing interest in Kotsay. The Brewers would only pursue a trade if Ryan Braun's ribcage injury worsens, and so far he looks more than fine. The Sox made a play for lefty-hitting Brian Giles before Giles vetoed the deal, so it makes sense that they'd exert similar effort toward Kotsay. Even more so now that J.D. Drew has a herniated disc.
This is a report from mlbtraderumors.com

I think it would be a nice pickup adds great defense and a good bat and some insurance for J.D Drew.

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
hitting .095 in his last 7 games... 2 hits in 21 AB's

PapelbonLester
08-24-2008, 09:17 PM
it would be a nice pickup.

KmB728
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Cough Aubrey Huff cough

NESports2004
08-24-2008, 10:27 PM
why go after a guy like kotsay when theres better guys available

Osiagledknarf
08-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I think I'd rather have Huff...but I think Kotsay would be easier to get. What are they going to ask for him though? I'm sure it wouldn't be palatable.

tc2deuce
08-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Hell to the NO!!!

Killebrewcrew3
08-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Loftons available

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 01:27 AM
hmmm....BONDS??????

Kotsay would look nice. He's someone i think can fill-in nicely while J.D rests up.
I like the Sox are atleast pursuing options. I know they'll only make a deal that works.

futureheisman
08-25-2008, 08:06 AM
huff would be great but what is the price

lil'papi
08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
^^ I don't think the Orioles and RS front offices click for some reason.

NESports2004
08-25-2008, 10:25 AM
^^ I don't think the Orioles and RS front offices click for some reason.

They'll click....for the right price. And with Clay's bad season and Huffs amazing one they will probably ask for Clay and Theo, like he should, will turn it down.

ZHawk1123
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Kotsay is solid...

cf267872
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Ya, instead of Kotsay, a guy that provides more of the defensive presence in the lineup, I'd rather have the front office target a guy like Huff, who can fill in as a run producer, who knows the pitching in the AL already.

KmB728
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
id rather sign Bonds

Snipeshow
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Meh, it could work out. He's a no risk, high reward type deal.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
id rather have bonds

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah, you see a lot of players who miss 130 games, walk right into the pennant races and tear it up, don't you?

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, you see a lot of players who miss 130 games, walk right into the pennant races and tear it up, don't you?

ummmmm ya look at rodger clemens you clown. if you think that bonds wouldnt be able to hit id laugh at you. he did it for like 15 years you think 5 months off is going to make him suck. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA join the circus

ZHawk1123
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
ummmmm ya look at rodger clemens you clown. if you think that bonds wouldnt be able to hit id laugh at you. he did it for like 15 years you think 5 months off is going to make him suck. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA join the circus

RODGER Clemens... Really?

Who the hell are you...?

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 01:18 PM

1. When you taunt someone, you should at least get the basics right... like spelling.
2. Clemens had a year-round plan in mind and chose to come back in May/June each year. Bonds wanted to come back for the season and was rejected for a number of reasons. That effects him psychologically.
3. Clemens preparation could more easily be done 'in a vacuum' than Bonds. Clemens could pitch to just about anyone and work on location. Bonds could not just take BP-stye pitching and call it the same.

Please, your highness, could you condescend to inform the rest of us just how long it will take for Bonds to get game ready? Two weeks? Three? So we pick him up and hope that he might possibly be ready to hit for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and gimp around the OF. ****ing brilliant.

cocossox
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
no sorry :puke: he just makes a shakey lineup worse imo.

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
^^^ Just to help you out as you plot the Sox short term strategies:

"Barry is in shape right now," Borris said. "He's not in game shape, so he'd have to have the chance to hit off of live pitching. But he's told me that he would be ready in a very short period of time. He thinks he can be ready 10 days, two weeks."

Source: CBS5 from San Francisco (http://cbs5.com/local/barry.bonds.return.2.772164.html)

I'm sure the 10-day prognosis Bonds declared for himself six weeks ago is a sure bet. Ballplayers are notoriously accurate in their self-assessments, particularly Bonds.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
RODGER Clemens... Really?

Who the hell are you...?

relax i ****in added a d by accident dont have a orgasim

BoSoxGreen18
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
lets get one thing settled... bonds will never be in a Red Sox uniform, secondly kotsay is fine off the bench... lets take a look at what kielty did when the Sox scooped him up last year? nice impact right?? I say go for the cheap addition that can help you off the bench... huff isnt a great clubhouse guy (at least thats what they used to say in TB) and the last thing we need is to get rid of the manny causing drama and bring in a worse player to stir the chemistry up down the stretch lol

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
lets get one thing settled... bonds will never be in a Red Sox uniform, secondly kotsay is fine off the bench... lets take a look at what kielty did when the Sox scooped him up last year? nice impact right?? I say go for the cheap addition that can help you off the bench... huff isnt a great clubhouse guy (at least thats what they used to say in TB) and the last thing we need is to get rid of the manny causing drama and bring in a worse player to stir the chemistry up down the stretch lol

we'll no1 likes to loose so i can see why he'd be a bad clubhouse guy in tb. also cuz everyone is so young he always said they were immature. but w/e hopefully we can get some help

Crucis
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
id rather sign Bonds

Not just no, but HELL NO.

Let that slimebag rot in exile.

captaintek33
08-25-2008, 03:20 PM

:sigh:

futureheisman
08-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Mark Kotsay .289 6HR 37 RBI .338 OBP and a great glove.

Nothing outstanding nothing outstanding at all but a guy who could be a great defensive replacement and fill in for j.d drew while he is nursing a bad back.

imange the defensive outfeild Kotsay ellsbury and crisp in the late innings.
like i said would love to see aubery huff but if he is not an option or the asking price is too high this is plan B.

The Intimidator
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Kotsay would be a solid pickup for us. He plays soild defense, and could do as good a job, if not better, of getting on base as Coco and Jacoby do right now. If J.D. ends up on the DL, we'll need a veteran guy like Kotsay to provide some depth.

ZHawk1123
08-25-2008, 04:17 PM

So I guess in this case you'd try to tell me you accidentally added an "I"?

Orgasm, son... :eyebrow:

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
sorry i dont write that word often.

ZHawk1123
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Neither do I... I just have the ability to spell words correctly...

Jon93405
08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Please take Kotsay so we'll stop playing him. He's a solid player, with good defense and a cannon for an arm. There's just no point in the Braves continuing to keep him in CF while we have young players who could use the experience.

Would someone like Chris Smith be a fair trade?

captaintek33
08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Please take Kotsay so we'll stop playing him. He's a solid player, with good defense and a cannon for an arm. There's just no point in the Braves continuing to keep him in CF while we have young players who could use the experience.

Yeah, I think so.... Good call!

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM

I'd do it

bossup2
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
on espnnews it says he was scratched from lineup and will likely be traded to the red sox

futureheisman
08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
heard that too

Snipeshow
08-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Sounds good.

futureheisman
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
kotsay scratched from the lineup and most likely will be traded to the red sox

futureheisman
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
how do you move a thread

sboyajian
08-26-2008, 09:11 PM
how do you move a thread

"you" don't. ;)

Tarheelguy1967
08-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Your typing errors don't bother me at all. But I think your ideas on how to improve the team are terrible. I'd honestly, and this is hard to say for a lifelong Red Sox fan, rather NOT make the playoffs then have Barry Bonds on the team. I don't care if he hit 200 home runs for the rest of the season....I don't want him on a team I root for. Especially one he said a few years ago that he'd never play for. He's a cancer, and regardless of the steroid issue, is just an arrogant, spoiled ballplayer. Boston has been known for the past several years as being a great clubhouse team. We got rid of Manny, because he was becoming a cancer who was coming up with pathetic reasons as to why he couldn't play. He has a GREAT bat - actually, one I'd prefer to Bonds at this stage of their career any day of the week, but his clubhouse attitude wasn't worth the bat. Why pay his salary to play for the Dodgers, and then sign another cancer like Bonds. Your spouting off of "I'd rather have Bonds" is ludicrous. If you are only worried about a bat, then you should prefer to simply have kept Manny. He would be a better option than Bonds.....at least he was game-day ready (assuming his knees weren't hurting) and had been facing major league pitching on a regular basis.

bouchard107
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Your typing errors don't bother me at all. But I think your ideas on how to improve the team are terrible. I'd honestly, and this is hard to say for a lifelong Red Sox fan, rather NOT make the playoffs then have Barry Bonds on the team. I don't care if he hit 200 home runs for the rest of the season....I don't want him on a team I root for. Especially one he said a few years ago that he'd never play for. He's a cancer, and regardless of the steroid issue, is just an arrogant, spoiled ballplayer. Boston has been known for the past several years as being a great clubhouse team. We got rid of Manny, because he was becoming a cancer who was coming up with pathetic reasons as to why he couldn't play. He has a GREAT bat - actually, one I'd prefer to Bonds at this stage of their career any day of the week, but his clubhouse attitude wasn't worth the bat. Why pay his salary to play for the Dodgers, and then sign another cancer like Bonds. Your spouting off of "I'd rather have Bonds" is ludicrous. If you are only worried about a bat, then you should prefer to simply have kept Manny. He would be a better option than Bonds.....at least he was game-day ready (assuming his knees weren't hurting) and had been facing major league pitching on a regular basis.

:clap: such a good point...I'd also like to touch up on a couple things..

Mark Kotsay for Chris Smith...that would be a win-win.. Not saying that either player is bad, but for the reason we would get Kotsay is pretty much the same reason we had Bobby. If that doesn't work out, I'm sure there is a bench player that would be a good pickup out there...He doesn't have to be a superstar to be effective.

I'm not sold on Aubrey Huff for the reason that he hasn't had big game, clutch needing situations, that he'd be used to. Yes, he has played the entire AL, but Baltimore isn't and Tampa wasn't like Boston

Yes..it is smart to taunt a Mod...:badidea:

Shaiza
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Well he just got traded to us for a player to be named (a minor leaguer).

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:05 AM

Exactamundo, so I guess we can shut this thread down...they're saying a mid-level prospect will get it done so I guess it's Chris Smith or a Chris Smith look alike. Done.

bouchard107
08-27-2008, 12:22 AM

Sweet Deal

:cheers:

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:27 AM
It can't hurt...it gives us time with Drew, and the rosters are about to expand anyway so there's plenty of room. Not bad.

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:31 AM
"you" don't. ;)

Zing! Assertion of authority, haha.

chomaru
08-27-2008, 02:18 AM
It kinda seems like Aubrey Huff is a jack***, anyone else hear him on bubba the love sponge? He was calling Baltimore a horse**** town and that he was playing with a bunch of losers.

The Intimidator
08-27-2008, 07:37 AM
this is a good move, but kotsay has a no-trade clause. did he agree to waive it?

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Though a couple of websites have reported that the Red Sox are nearing a deal with the Braves to bring Mark Kotsay to Boston, the Sox appear not quite that close. A source close to the situation said the team still is talking with Atlanta about the center fielder, though a deal has not been agreed upon.

Kotsay, who is signed through the end of this season, has a limited no-trade clause. It is not known if the Red Sox are one of the teams on that list.

While Kotsay would be insurance for J.D. Drew, who went on the disabled list today with a strained lower back, the center fielder also has had back trouble this season. He has suffered through a bulging disk, which put him on the disabled list earlier this season.

Source: Boston Globe

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 08:22 AM
The good news is that Kotsay, not sure if the Sox are on his NT list, appears willing to waive it to play on a contender. The bad news is that the deal is not done... yet.

With the timing of J.D. Drew's return to the Boston lineup uncertain at best, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein could be on the verge of reeling in a most capable replacement in veteran outfielder Mark Kotsay.

Kotsay was scratched from the Braves' starting lineup on Tuesday, as Boston and Atlanta tried to complete a deal.

ESPN.com -- citing sources -- reported that the Red Sox are "on the verge" of landing Kotsay in a trade.

Though no deal had been completed as of late Tuesday night, Kotsay seemed excited about the possibility.

"As a player, you want to win and have a chance to compete in the postseason," Kotsay said. "If I'm traded to a club that is in postseason position, that will be great. I've had fun [in Atlanta]. It's been great to play for Bobby [Cox] and be in this clubhouse."

The 32-year-old Kotsay has a limited no-trade clause, but that doesn't figure to be any kind of issue this time around. In fact, Kotsay said he wasn't even sure if the Red Sox were one of the teams on his no-trade list.

Source: MLB.com

Cronin
08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
:clap:

Love this move :)

yaowowrocket11
08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Definitely will be a good addition if Theo can finalize this deal.

Tragedy
08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Damn, I was hoping it was finalized. Not done yet, apparently.

I have no issues with taking him on our team. He basically assumes the role that Brandon Moss had. He's a rental for two months max, and it's not like we're giving up Michael Bowden. Can't hurt the team; Get it done before the 1st, Theo.

goshhhjosh
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
according to mlbtr the deal is done. no word on the prospect. kotsay did wave his no-trade clause to come to the red sox, he received 325k in doing so. he has a great relationship with john henry and said he would play for john henry any day of the week...so i guess he's the anti-manny.

smokey2444
08-27-2008, 12:05 PM
In what might be the biggest name traded before Sunday's deadline for setting postseason rosters, Braves center fielder Mark Kotsay is headed to Boston.

The Red Sox have acquired Kotsay for a mid-level prospect, according to major-league sources. The player headed to Atlanta hasn't been identified yet.

To complete the deal, Kotsay waived his no-trade clause for the Red Sox, one of eight teams on his no-trade list according to his contract.

Kotsay will receive a $325,000 assignment bonus for waiving his no-trade protection.

Kotsay was drawing interest from the Phillies, too, according to major-league sources.

Both teams are dealing with injuries to left-handed hitting outfielders.

The Red Sox on Tuesday placed right fielder J.D. Drew on the disabled list. Drew, suffering from a back problem, had missed Boston's previous six games.

The Red Sox's attempt to acquire the Padres' Brian Giles, another left-handed hitting outfielder, collapsed earlier this month when Giles invoked his no-trade clause to Boston.

Kotsay, who turns 33 on Dec. 2, has been hot in August, posting an .856 on-base/slugging percentage, his highest of any month this season.

Boston assumes the balance of his $8 million salary, which would amount to slightly more than $1.5 million.

The Braves did not plan to offer salary arbitration to Kotsay, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

Kotsay missed all of June due to a lower back strain, but since then has appeared in 40 of the Braves' 48 games.

For the season, he is batting .289 with a .338 on-base percentage, six home runs and 37 RBIs in 344 plate appearances.

This was reported by Ken Rosenthal from FOX Sports.

Thought you might like see this.

yaowowrocket11
08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
10:23am: Rosenthal says it's done, though the prospect remains unknown. He is now saying Kotsay did waive no-trade rights, and received $325K to do so.

MLBTR

PapelbonLester
08-27-2008, 12:56 PM
coooooooooooooool according to espn

ESPN.com's Keith Law reported the player going back to Atlanta in exchange for Kotsay is 19-year-old outfielder Luis Sumoza, who is currently playing for Class A Lowell (Mass.).

might i add SUMOZA IS A BEAST. honestly he's one of our top prospects imo. this is dumb

PapelbonLester
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554901

tc2deuce
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
i got my fingers crossed that this will be a good move......but i would have not done it!

goshhhjosh
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
sumoza seemed like a decent prospect. 19y/0, 301 avg, 11 hr, 38 rbi in 51 games for lowell. oh well, i'm happy with kotsay, he can play right and center, has a better arm than coco, and is hitting 289 and he had this to say about john henry "When I was traded, he personally called me, Kotsay said in the book. It made me feel great, as a person and as a player. Until you talk to him, it can seem like hes very shy, but once you start to develop a relationship with him, you see what an amazing guy he is. Hes like a little kid. He loves the game. . . . There is one person that I would play for any time of the day and thats Mr. Henry. - Boston Herald.

Wake's Fastball
08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Sumoza's very nice, but with Kalish, Lin and Reddick being more highly regarded, plus being above him, along with the emergence of Mitch Dening and the signings of Hissey and Westmoreland, did Sumoza ever really fit into our future plans?

-Lavigne43-
08-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Never even heard of Sumoza

futureheisman
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
good move

PapelbonLester
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM

he's really good accually he just won player of the week by soxprospects.com. but kotsays BA at fenway is a rediculious .386 so i can live with it but sumoza was nice.

Cronin
08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Love this move.

I've been to Lowell a few times this year, and Sumoza is nothing to write home about. He is an average fielder, decent hitter, with about average to above average speed. He is still raw and learning the game, so I think it will take him a long time to come close to relevance from a Major League standpoint..

futureheisman
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
come down papelbonlester

The Intimidator
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
This is a good move. Sumoza would have been a ways away, and like someone mentioned before, guys like Reddick and Lin are regarded much higher, and are in front of him. Anyone know who is being sent down to make room for Kotsay? Is it Bailey or Thurston?

MVPOrtiz201
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM

He's a toolsy player. Has a nice build with a good amount of power, and has a very good arm. But, as before mentioned, he has a long way to go. He stikes out a lot and is blocked by our other outfielders. I think he could be something in the future, but with all the outfield talent we have in the minors, he was expandable.
soxprospects (http://soxprospects.com/players/sumoza-luis.htm) <- his bio

ERLynx
08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Love it. He hit for the cycle a week ago. I wouldn't mind some of that production down the stretch.

The Intimidator
08-27-2008, 03:27 PM
you mean expendable?

MVPOrtiz201
08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
you mean expendable?

yes that is what I meant, spelling error.:o

RedSoxtober
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Sumoza's very nice, but with Kalish, Lin and Reddick being more highly regarded, plus being above him, along with the emergence of Mitch Dening and the signings of Hissey and Westmoreland, did Sumoza ever really fit into our future plans?

Exactly right. He's having a decent enough season but would have ended up like Murphy -- decent tools but unlikely to break the lineup in BOS on a regular basis. He's on the upper-end of the age bracket in NY-Penn so his strong numbers may be a little misleading, too.

In the end it's a good deal for both sides. The Braves get a guy that might fill a role one day for a CF they did not plan on keeping after another failed run in the NL East. The Sox get a solid CF defender with a better bat than Coco for a guy who did not figure into their long-range plans. :clap:

Crucis
08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Anyone know who is being sent down to make room for Kotsay? Is it Bailey or Thurston?

WEEI is reporting that Thurston was DFA'd.

BoSox47
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
So even with the streak coco has been having does coco now sit and ellsbury plays or do you go with the person who has had the best numbers recently and play coco?

bagwell368
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
good move, guys at Lowell make it to the Majors at about a 4 in 5 year clip. He has a fast bat, and is doing a good job hitting A pitching. That's no promise of future performance.

Kotsay could be here next year (with a deal that is). He's an excellent fielder with a big arm. Right now he's a better hitter then our other two CF's. Trade Coco (waiver deal now, or next year) and give Kotsay the CF job, and let our phenom be the 4th OF, PR, and generally get the pressure off of him for '09 and '10, until he stops looking like a guy stumbling in at 4:30 w/ a hangover...

sboyajian
08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I think you are right bagwell.. it seems to me like Kotsay is the bandaid for Drew's DL and the replacement for Coco next year.

futureheisman
08-27-2008, 06:43 PM
exactly papelbonlester is making way too big a deal over a single A guy

Lundbelievable
08-27-2008, 08:03 PM
good move, guys at Lowell make it to the Majors at about a 4 in 5 year clip. He has a fast bat, and is doing a good job hitting A pitching. That's no promise of future performance.

Kotsay could be here next year (with a deal that is). He's an excellent fielder with a big arm. Right now he's a better hitter then our other two CF's. Trade Coco (waiver deal now, or next year) and give Kotsay the CF job, and let our phenom be the 4th OF, PR, and generally get the pressure off of him for '09 and '10, until he stops looking like a guy stumbling in at 4:30 w/ a hangover...

So you don't mind us losing our speed in the process? I personally like Kotsay(he has a picture-perfect swing)

yaowowrocket11
08-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I think you are right bagwell.. it seems to me like Kotsay is the bandaid for Drew's DL and the replacement for Coco next year.

Kotsay is a free agent after this year, I believe.

The Intimidator
08-27-2008, 10:01 PM

you are correct, sir.

Jon93405
08-28-2008, 02:42 AM
As a Braves fan, this seems like a good deal both ways. You get a leader with a cannon for an arm, good speed and the ability to play a good defensive CF.

We actually get a prospect with some upside in return for a guy we were going to lose in a month anyways.

Win/Win... good luck in the playoffs, hope to see you there next year.

RedSoxtober
08-28-2008, 08:41 AM

I generally agree though I doubt the Sox could sign Kotsay. It'd be almost impossible to guarantee him the starting CF job and he's proven enough this year that he will absolutely be seeking a contract where he's going to be the everyday guy. He'll probably also be swayed by a 2-3 year deal but I doubt the Sox would want to offer that.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I generally agree though I doubt the Sox could sign Kotsay. It'd be almost impossible to guarantee him the starting CF job and he's proven enough this year that he will absolutely be seeking a contract where he's going to be the everyday guy. He'll probably also be swayed by a 2-3 year deal but I doubt the Sox would want to offer that.

Unless he wants to play behind Holliday, he will go elsewhere. :D
Theo threw a nice dig out there lastnight. He said Kotsay will play dinged up. Odd that he said that. Called him a GAMER to boot. Two solid digs in one interview....

BRADY4MVP
08-28-2008, 10:02 AM
:cheers::clap::up: love the move...bay-kotsay-ellsbury..coco for speed late in the game....hmmmmm...seems to have a "dave roberts" feel for september and beyond

bagwell368
08-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Yes, that's why I said they would have to sign him. He's a firebrand and he wants to win, and he works counts like a madman - all things I love.

Bay is set in LF for '09

Ellsbury should/could be the starter in CF in '09, but the way he has looked (notice how they were killing him inside in June and July? Then he adapted and now he's getting baked outside. He's thinking way too much, and may never get his way out of his maze, which stinks because I was ready after last year to watch him for 15 years.

Drew in RF is a DL stint waiting to happen and always will be.

I figure the over/under on the Sox OF even with Ellsbury named the starter is 75 starts for Kotsay, with Ellsbury/Drew issues it could jump to 125 easily.

And we get to see right now what the buzz about him is all about.... nice.

Osiagledknarf
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Yes, that's why I said they would have to sign him. He's a firebrand and he wants to win, and he works counts like a madman - all things I love.

Bay is set in LF for '09

Ellsbury should/could be the starter in CF in '09, but the way he has looked (notice how they were killing him inside in June and July? Then he adapted and now he's getting baked outside. He's thinking way too much, and may never get his way out of his maze, which stinks because I was ready after last year to watch him for 15 years.

Drew in RF is a DL stint waiting to happen and always will be.

I figure the over/under on the Sox OF even with Ellsbury named the starter is 75 starts for Kotsay, with Ellsbury/Drew issues it could jump to 125 easily.

And we get to see right now what the buzz about him is all about.... nice.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Ellsbury was getting killed inside, but you admit he's making adjustments and seeing results. That took him 2 months. That's very fast considering he's played a total of 152 Major League games. So he'll adapt to pitchers working him outside as well. He'll be fine and he's definitely your starting centerfielder in 2009. I don't think he's in a maze...he's a rookie, there's a learning curve. I certainly don't think the answer is to sit him and play Kotsay instead. The more AB's he has, the better he'll be...it takes time...be patient. He's a better option than the majority of others out there.

The only opening in the 2009 outfield is for the 4th Outfielder. And I am sure this will surprise alot of people...you might like, ALL disagree with me...but I'd honestly rather have Crisp as the 4th OF than Kotsay.

Kotsay is a good, solid ballplayer and he certainly brings alot to any team he is on. I don't mean to take anything away from Kotsay, but my argument is this...Crisp is 4 years younger, plays superlative defense in a difficult park to do that in, is faster and an excellent baserunner, is a switch-hitter, will cost the same as Kotsay...and is already under contract for next year.

Unless you have to package Crisp in some trade for whatever, I'd really much rather have him as the 4th OF than Kotsay.

lil'papi
08-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Ellsbury tweaked his wrist too. That supposedly contributed to his slow demise and ability to hit inside juice.
He said a few weeks ago the wrist is fully healthy. He MUST get on base. Kotsay is a nice player and can give us a veteran gamer. I like that word gamer......