PDA

View Full Version : K.Martin maybe on USA squad next time?

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/08/23/20/282-7S24KMART.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

It will all be over today, or two weeks from Thursday on the NBC schedule of deigning to show the broadcast to this remote, unpopulated outpost known as the Western United States. Team USA will beat Spain for the Olympic gold medal, complete the three-year mission of redemption, and the basketball world will be back on its axis.

And then it will all start again.

This, then, is an important benchmark moment for Kevin Martin, with the U.S. reaching a transition stage and the Kings guard a possibility for ascension to the roster that will play for the 2010 world championship in Turkey and the 2012 Olympics in London. There will also be a qualifying tournament in the summer of '09 if the Redeem Team loses an automatic berth in the worlds by stumbling to the silver today, but that's highly unlikely given the dominance in Beijing that includes a 37-point win over Spain in pool play.

Jerry Colangelo, the former Suns owner named managing director to rescue USA Basketball after a series of embarrassing moments, and Mike Krzyzewski, the Duke coach running the current team of pros, have been proven right in building on perimeter players.

The team has trounced all seven opponents with great pressure defense that created easy transition baskets and rarely let opponents find an offensive rhythm. China (Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi, some Yi Jianlian), Argentina (Luis Scola, Fabricio Oberto), Spain (Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol), Australia (Andrew Bogut) and Germany (Chris Kaman) all had big men that were at least credible – and in some cases NBA All-Stars – and yet none have come close against a roster with two players taller than 6-foot-9, Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh.

The direction for Team USA will now decidedly be guards and athletic wings, agile players who can disrupt the pick-and-roll schemes that ruined the Americans in the past. Same thing on offense: movement and passing against the waves of zone defenses in international play, on those occasions quickness does not win out.

Talk about a summer of great advances without even playing for the United States. First, Martin was named to the select team, the group of young players brought to Las Vegas to work out against the Beijing-bound stars, in a clear sign that USA Basketball regards him as a serious prospect for international play. Then, Colangelo and Krzyzewski go perimeter heavy and are vindicated with overwhelmingly positive results, surely setting a tone for future rosters. That Martin is also a good match in the new emphasis on citizenship, after too many ugly-American moments moved Colangelo to make character a priority, is the intangible fit.

Finally, there is the current roster. Michael Redd, supposedly the designated shooter, has played the second-fewest minutes and almost certainly will step aside/be moved aside. Jason Kidd is 35 and destined for a similar outcome.

Among the uncertainties, it is impossible to predict the next international step for Kobe Bryant – he turned 30 on Saturday and, while it's easy to still see him as a popular and marketable star in four years, it's also realistic that he will not want to make another lengthy commitment to USA Basketball. That goes for Dwyane Wade, too. He's much younger, 26, but a lot of these guys might want their summers back.

That leaves Chris Paul and Deron Williams as the only real newbies in the backcourt, making them more likely to stay in the program. Brandon Roy would be an obvious choice as a future addition. O.J. Mayo, Rodney Stuckey, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant and Luther Head were on the select team as well, with Martin.

Either way, this is all very good news for a 25-year-old who was a relative unknown coming out of high school, a relative unknown coming into the NBA and who has yet to be an All-Star. It's not reaching the Kobe-LeBron-Wade stratosphere, but 23.7 points a game in 2007-08 and zone-busting range is serious résumé-building for a summer job.

Sacbee (http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1181031.html)

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think so ... because he will be 29-30 years old. But he is a very good scorer, no doubt.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think so ... because he will be 29-30 years old. But he is a very good scorer, no doubt.

Kobe was 29 and 30 on the squad.

lakers4sho
08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
It's possible, if Kevin Martin elevates his game into the superstar level during the next few years.

On the side note though, I thought it was Kenyon Martin after first reading the title. I was like "WTF??" :rolleyes:

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Kobe was 29 and 30 on the squad.

but kobe is kobe :D

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:46 PM
It's possible, if Kevin Martin elevates his game into the superstar level during the next few years.

On the side note though, I thought it was Kenyon Martin after first reading the title. I was like "WTF??" :rolleyes:

Yep. Kevin Martin needs to improve his D. He can already pass but he needs to do a little more of it, you know, get his assists up. Also, he needs to get his rebounds up.

dre1990
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Yep. Kevin Martin needs to improve his D. He can already pass but he needs to do a little more of it, you know, get his assists up. Also, he needs to get his rebounds up.

SO all he can do is score?:rolleyes:

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I think Martin has a shot but he really underrated because he is not known too well because his team isn't very good. The kings need to win to get Martins reputation up.

stevefrancis
08-24-2008, 02:51 PM
he shoulda been on the team this year since he can shoot the 3 and he can take it to the basket.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:51 PM
SO all he can do is score?:rolleyes:

No. I'm just saying he should up his other stats.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:52 PM
He could have and should have replaced T. Prince or M. Redd. Redd did absolutely nothing for the team.

SwaggaIke
08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
He could have replaced Redd, but definitely not Tayshaun.

MiamiHeat
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
he will be a backup for Wade
if Wade plays the next olympics

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-24-2008, 04:11 PM
i think he can

sacgiants1213
08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
i really hope he makes it...just a good story, a skinny unknown player from western carolina helping usa win gold in 2012.

_Sn1P3r_
08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I think he could make it. He should use these next four years to elevate his game even higher.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Just needs to step it up on the defensive end.

JWalk126
08-24-2008, 08:29 PM

I dont think he has a few years

thats 3-4 years isnt it?
I think he will have to make it to the FIBA World Championships in order to have a better chance at being on the Olympic squad

I could be wrong

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
What is the FIBA World Championships?

JWalk126
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
What is the FIBA World Championships?

you know how people were talking about Team USA taking revenge on Greece for beating them in 2006?

in 2006, Team USA finished 3rd in the FIBA World Championship

its like FIFA, just that its basketball (Federal International Basketball Association)

Spain are currently the world champions of basketball

BRADfromOZ
08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe. But that all depends on how he's playing at selection time.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm sure he will be playing better now that Artest is gone. he can average possibly 30 now. Artest was a black hole in the offense. He stopped all the flow.

RocketsRule
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
If Martin wants to make it on to the USA team he'd need to improve his defense. Everyone knows that he can fill it up in a hurry, and score with the best of them, but it is his defense where he struggles. If he works on that, along with moving the Kings forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the USA team.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see K-Mart get some blocks...

dre1990
08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
He could have and should have replaced T. Prince or M. Redd. Redd did absolutely nothing for the team.

maybe redd but Tayshaun was great for us this time