PDA

View Full Version : Official Roster Thread!!!

ninerfan609
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
This thread is started to post who should be cut, and who you would like to see make the team. Also once roster cuts start next week, post who got cut.

IMO, i would like to see:

RBs,
Gore backed up by Foster, with Clayton as the third option. That would mean that MROB would have to be cut. I know i may hear crap for saying this, and i like MROB, but i think we have a better future with Clayton.
FBs,
Since Nolan said hes only keeping one, i would like to see the traditional FB in Morran, but Martz prefers a FB like Keasey. Keasey really impressed me yesterday, and if he could do the stuff he did against the Bears, i would like to see him make the team. The only problem with that, is that Morran gets that hard 3-1 or 4-1 because hes built that way. If he doesnt make the team, that may haunt us.
WRs,
I think it should be in this order. 1.) Bruce (because of his knowledge of the game, i'm refering to the pass interference call in chicago.) 2.) Morgan-this guy can flat out ball, he'll be our marcus colston. 3.) Johnson- im really excited we brought him aboard, and would like to see him as a number two, but because of injuries, he may slip to this spot. 4.) i would give this to Battle, because he has been our most consistent receiver since T.O left.
5.) Hill, i could see him moving up this year if (a. someone above gets hurt, b.) johnson or battle fail to adapt to martz system quick enough. 6.) ziegler, he made some good catches this preseason, but i like what i saw.

thats all the time i have on this, but be sure, i will be back to comment on our defense.

FNM BOY
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Whatever happens I want Clayton to stay...the kid has monster potential to be a very good RB in this league..if we let him go we will regret it!

DownSouth49er
08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Whatever happens I want Clayton to stay...the kid has monster potential to be a very good RB in this league..if we let him go we will regret it!

i 2nd that

NinerNation
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM

This is true. I hope it doesnt come down to just the numbers. He's going to be pretty good. I wish we had a chance to see him against the First team D. He's always impressed during preseason (this year and last year) but its always come vs the backups. I do think he has a lot of potential though.

jbeezy
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Zeigler and Colvin will be part of the Practice Squad. Here is the way I see it:

QBs:
1. JTO he has knowledge of the offense
2. Alex Smith I personally like him and I think given time he can be a good QB but Im tired of picking in the top 15 of the draft. We need to win and JTO gives us the best chance to win right now.
3. Shaun Hill The best 3rd string QB in the NFL :shrug:

RBs
1. Frank Gore- No explenation needed
2. Foster- Solid backup. Last year he had 900+ yards rushing
3. Micheal Robinson- I really like him.

FB-
Zak- Personally I feel the FB position is a waste of roster space in our roster. I would rather have Norris but I get the feeling this is gona happen

OL
LT Joe Staley- Struggled in the offseason but should get better
LG Adam Snyder- I like him better as our backup utility OL but when Baas gets healthy I hope they put Wragge here
C Eric Heitman- Solid
RG Tony Wragge- I really like him. I hope he is our starting LG when Baas gets back.
RT Jonas Jennings- I personally think he was our best olineman in trainning camp. When he us healthy he is really good
Backups
Cody Wallace
Chilo Rachal
Barry Sims

WRs
1. Isaac Bruce- He knows the offense inside and out.
2. Bryant Johnson- He is really good. Concerned about his hamstring injury.
3. Arnaz Battle- He has been our most consistent WR for theese horrible years. I like him but Im Concerned with his attitude.
4. Josh Morgan- We have to be realistic. He has had a real good preaseason but once the season begins the game speed will pick up. He has never gone through that so it will be interesting to see how he reacts.
5. Jason Hill - He has shown explosiveness but we have to give the edge to the veterans for right now.

TEs
1. Vernon Davis - A freak of nature
2. Delaine Walker - Natural Born Playmaker
3. Billy Bajema - I really hope he gers cut.

This is just my opinion on the offense. What do you guys think?

Dmunk08
08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
IT GOES LIKE THIS....ISAAC BRUCE JOSH MORGAN AND JASON HILL....THE REST SHOULD FIGHT FOR IT......AND I DON'T WANT MIKE MARTZ,NOLAN OR ANYONE IN PRO SPORTSDAILY TO FORGET ABOUT VERNON DAVIS!!!!WE NEED TO MAKE PLAYS FOR THIS GUY OR LET HIM GO SO HE CAN SHINE SOMEWHERE ELSE....THIS GUY IN MY OPINION CAN BE THE BEST TIGHT END IN THE LEAGUE....AND PLEASE START 'SULLIVAN! CAN ANYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF SEE THIS GUY IS A BUST! HE DROPS BACK TOO MUCH AND THROWS LIKE A GIRL....AND WALT HARRIS NEEDS TO MATCH CLEMENTS INTENSITY AND PLAY.....LASTLY I WANT TO SEE GORE BEING USED AND SET UP LIKE MARSHALL FAULK...HE HAS THE VISION AND THE SPEED...BUT DOES HE HAVE HIS HANDS?
IF ALL THESE THINGS CAN HAPPEN I THE GREAT MUNK WILL PREDICT THE DIVISION IS OURS.:speechless::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d:

mex49er
08-22-2008, 04:58 PM
ok ... that was adventurous...

I think Battle would be in the 1st string because of his blocking abilities, but hes not going to be involve in the passing game because of his speed....

Hill and MOrgan are starting to emerge what is good, and I love the competition because the only think that competition generates is quality and we are desperate of it....

I do agree that we need to set up a lot of plays for V. Davis and F. Gore as a receiver.

Our D# is only getting better ...

bigmac8675
08-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I agree on keeping Clayton..... just find a way to keep him on the team, but if possible find a way to keep Michael Robinson as well.... perhaps designate one to special teams?

bornFrisco49er
08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
IT GOES LIKE THIS....ISAAC BRUCE JOSH MORGAN AND JASON HILL....THE REST SHOULD FIGHT FOR IT......AND I DON'T WANT MIKE MARTZ,NOLAN OR ANYONE IN PRO SPORTSDAILY TO FORGET ABOUT VERNON DAVIS!!!!WE NEED TO MAKE PLAYS FOR THIS GUY OR LET HIM GO SO HE CAN SHINE SOMEWHERE ELSE....THIS GUY IN MY OPINION CAN BE THE BEST TIGHT END IN THE LEAGUE....AND PLEASE START 'SULLIVAN! CAN ANYONE OTHER THAN MYSELF SEE THIS GUY IS A BUST! HE DROPS BACK TOO MUCH AND THROWS LIKE A GIRL....AND WALT HARRIS NEEDS TO MATCH CLEMENTS INTENSITY AND PLAY.....LASTLY I WANT TO SEE GORE BEING USED AND SET UP LIKE MARSHALL FAULK...HE HAS THE VISION AND THE SPEED...BUT DOES HE HAVE HIS HANDS?
IF ALL THESE THINGS CAN HAPPEN I THE GREAT MUNK WILL PREDICT THE DIVISION IS OURS.:speechless::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d:

who said we wont use him..be cool..season is 2 weeks away, we'll see most, if not all of what you said put to the test

jbeezy
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Um.... chill out dude.

KenTHEsfKING
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm excited about the season and want morran and keasey to both stay - we need morran for the tuff yards - so if we gotta drop one - then keep morran - walker can always fill that f-back/h-back type role that martz likes to utilize - but i did like what i saw out of keasey yesterday - very clutch on third downs

i like how all you guys are keeping this convo Off. oriented it makes it easier to comment at work:cheers:

ps. also a fan of the solid line play yesterday - very encouraging to watch our offense move the ball so well all day

UNETOWNBAYAREA
08-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I like Ziegler but we are pretty much loaded at WR depth with Bruce, Johnson, Lelie, Hill, Morgan and Battle.. I think colvin will likely go to our practice squad with possibly Ziegler if no other team attempts to sign him from us before going to our practice squad..

WillisLovechild
08-23-2008, 02:42 AM
keep clayton, release TBC. he's overpaid even though he'd be a good backup.

DownSouth49er
08-23-2008, 02:58 AM
i say keep keasey and release bajema(not a fan of his at all), keasey can take bajema's place because keasey is a little bit more versatile and all bajema can do is block.....keep moran as a true full back, especially on shot yardage and goaline situations, he can make that hole for any of our RB's....robinson can go also, and keep clayton...there's just something about robinson that I don't like...he just doesn't seem to have that toughness that a RB should have....for the past two seasons i've seen a clayton that runs hard and breaks tackle for a guy his size, but robinson is just, ugh....it's like once he gets hit he goes down.....he can go in my opinion

bornFrisco49er
08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
i like keasey..i think we'll use more h back stuff in martz's system ,so moran norris might get cut because of it..i love clayton's hussle, keep the guy..

lincecum=future
08-23-2008, 03:12 PM
The 49ers do not have to get down to the 75-player limit until Tuesday, but they went ahead and made their first round of cuts.

The 49ers released the following players:

NT Joe Cohen, a fourth-round pick last year who spent his first season on injured reserve.

TE Cooper Wallace. who played two NFL games with the Titans in 2006.

S Lewis Baker, an undrafted rookie from Oklahoma who has been out since July 28 with a right thigh contusion.

QB Kyle Wright, an undrated free agent from University of Miami whose only snaps of 11-on-11 during camp came while running the scout team. He attended Monte Vista's Danville High.

OT John Booker, an undrafted free agent from San Jose State who was released earlier this summer and re-signed when Damane Duckett was injured.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2254963&mode=

No real suprises there.

ninerfan609
08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
dont worry, i'll repost this on the other thread started....

ninerfan609
08-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Wut up NINER FAM!!! The 49ers have until Tuesday to slim the roster down to 75-players, but they went ahead and made some first round cuts anyway. The final roster (53 players) deadline is Saturday, Aug. 30.
Anyway, here's who couldn't quite make the grade:

NT Joe Cohen: a fourth-round pick last year who spent his first season on injured reserve.

TE Cooper Wallace: who played two NFL games with the Titans in 2006.

S Lewis Baker: an undrafted rookie from Oklahoma who has been out since July 28 with a right thigh contusion.

QB Kyle Wright an undrated free agent from University of Miami whose only snaps of 11-on-11 during camp came while running the scout team. He attended Monte Vista's Danville High.

OT John Booker: an undrafted free agent from San Jose State who was released earlier this summer and re-signed when Damane Duckett was injured.

It's always sad see some 9er hopefuls turning in their playbooks, but that's the nature of the beast.
I would like to wish all these fella's Good Luck!!

NinerNation
08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
These cuts weren't a big surprise. Cohen Kind of was, but the rest were obvious cuts.

Vegasguy80
08-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Haha why are you guys putting Morgan in front of Johnson? You can't be serious. Morgan is a good receiver but come on. He isn't a #2 receiver in the NFL yet....

FrumDaBay
08-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Release Lelie

sanfranfan1210
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree I think we should keep clayton

ninerfan609
08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
lelie should be released, we have promising receivers who arent always hurt.

ninerfan609
08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Haha why are you guys putting Morgan in front of Johnson? You can't be serious. Morgan is a good receiver but come on. He isn't a #2 receiver in the NFL yet....

probably because we know, and have seen what he can do in this offense. just like the qb competition, i think WRs should have to battle for roster spots. if johnson is hurt, thats too bad. i mean hes a proven receiver, but he hasnt proved anything yet to us.

NinerNation
08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
probably because we know, and have seen what he can do in this offense. just like the qb competition, i think WRs should have to battle for roster spots. if johnson is hurt, thats too bad. i mean hes a proven receiver, but he hasnt proved anything yet to us.

I understand and agree with what you're saying, but morgan "proved" to us what he could do in two preseason games. He is going to be good, we can all see that already, but johnson is more experienced and would get the nod over him once healthy. I do think that by the end of the season, the Receiving core, because Martz is our OC, we will have four main WR contributers, not to mention Vernon. Those four will be Bruce, Johnson, Battle, and probably morgan, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hill got in their and split time with morgan.

Thatruth32
08-25-2008, 11:57 AM
i like clayton as well... but i dont see us cutting MROB... clayton lead the preseason in russhing last season but yet not one team took a look at him and signed him he stayed on our practice squad... makes me wonder why nobody took him....

bartlett2266
08-25-2008, 11:58 AM
^ i think by the beginning of next year morgan and hill will be top 2 battle in the slot and bruce and johnson will be elsewhere

FrumDaBay
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I know there are similar threads but this thread is asking you, the fans, who would you like to see CUT from now (75 man roster) to make it a 53 man roster...

Here are a few of my choices....

-Ashley Lelie
-Morran Norris (Keasey has more to offer being a special teamer)
-Billy Bajima ( i just dont think we need a 3rd TE, not that hes that bad or anything)
-Cam Colvin (too many Wrs, hoping they keep Bruce, Johnson, Battle, HIll, Morgan and put Zeigler on the PS)
- Dominique Zeigler (PS i hope)
- Jeb Terry G ( Hes on IR, another average G, we have plenty of those)
-Markus Currey DB
- J.J Finley TE (again too many TEs, and the name reminds me too much of JJ Stokes)
- Larry Grant (Rumor has it he may get cut with the signing of Spikes)
- Dennis Haley LB
- Marcus Hudson (i rather see T. Brown and R. Smith in the mix)
- Luis Holmes DE ( who?)
- Robert Ortiz (too many better WRs)
- Jerard Rabb WR (PS maybe?)
- LaJuan Ramsey DT (Who?)
- Mark Roman (I know hes our starting S, but im not a fan and MUCH rather see Goldston as the starter, I guess keep him but demote him would be okay with me)
- There are a few T's we could part with but carefully as we are very thin on the OL

As far as our RB 4-sum... I still dont know what to do, Gore/Foster= 1/2 punch, but i really like both clayton and MROB... but they are different style runners, Maybe change MROB to a FB??? I dont know

I am realizing just now that i might have some names of players that already got cut, but i tried to avoid that... Let me know what you all think, and if you have any further thoughts on who should be cut.

NinerNation
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I know there are similar threads but this thread is asking you, the fans, who would you like to see CUT from now (75 man roster) to make it a 53 man roster...

Here are a few of my choices....

-Ashley Lelie
-Morran Norris (Keasey has more to offer being a special teamer)
-Billy Bajima ( i just dont think we need a 3rd TE, not that hes that bad or anything)
-Cam Colvin (too many Wrs, hoping they keep Bruce, Johnson, Battle, HIll, Morgan and put Zeigler on the PS)
- Dominique Zeigler (PS i hope)
- Jeb Terry G ( Hes on IR, another average G, we have plenty of those)
-Markus Currey DB
- J.J Finley TE (again too many TEs, and the name reminds me too much of JJ Stokes)
- Larry Grant (Rumor has it he may get cut with the signing of Spikes)
- Dennis Haley LB
- Marcus Hudson (i rather see T. Brown and R. Smith in the mix)
- Luis Holmes DE ( who?)
- Robert Ortiz (too many better WRs)
- Jerard Rabb WR (PS maybe?)
- LaJuan Ramsey DT (Who?)
- Mark Roman (I know hes our starting S, but im not a fan and MUCH rather see Goldston as the starter, I guess keep him but demote him would be okay with me)
- There are a few T's we could part with but carefully as we are very thin on the OL

As far as our RB 4-sum... I still dont know what to do, Gore/Foster= 1/2 punch, but i really like both clayton and MROB... but they are different style runners, Maybe change MROB to a FB??? I dont know

I am realizing just now that i might have some names of players that already got cut, but i tried to avoid that... Let me know what you all think, and if you have any further thoughts on who should be cut.

there is no one on the team that I HOPE IS cut, but there are several guys I really hope they keep. The RB situation is really hard right now because I see a lot of great things coming from clayton, and we all hear great things bout robinson, (I honestly haven't seen anything GREAT from him). I would also love to see lelie stick around since he has so much potential, its unfortunate that he cant stay healthy.

FrumDaBay
08-25-2008, 01:42 PM
maybe i should have phrased it differently, but you got the gist, thanks for the post

Seppuku
08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Do you have a full roster set out by position and a framework for how many of each position your team needs to keep?

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=252266

When looking over this example it forced me to consider some really tough cut choices.

ninerfan609
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
This Is The Same Exact Thread I Started, Please Use The Other One. Called "roster Cuts And Updates"

ninerfan609
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
I understand and agree with what you're saying, but morgan "proved" to us what he could do in two preseason games. He is going to be good, we can all see that already, but johnson is more experienced and would get the nod over him once healthy. I do think that by the end of the season, the Receiving core, because Martz is our OC, we will have four main WR contributers, not to mention Vernon. Those four will be Bruce, Johnson, Battle, and probably morgan, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hill got in their and split time with morgan.

UNDERSTOOD, BUT WHAT HAS JOHNSON DONE AT ALL IN THE MARTZ SYSTEM?

NinerNation
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
UNDERSTOOD, BUT WHAT HAS JOHNSON DONE AT ALL IN THE MARTZ SYSTEM?

Again, i dont see how this matter. hes proven and has experience. If randy moss was traded to the niners but got hurt and couldnt show you anything in preseason, would you not start him still? I know the two players ore obviously at different levels, but the idea is the same. If you have someone who you know can get the job done, he's going to start. Plain and simple.

NinerNation
08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
maybe i should have phrased it differently, but you got the gist, thanks for the post

yeah i got it. there are some people though who HOPE some players get cut. Like crazies who say Alex Smith should be released. :crazy:

Otis4949
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
This is how I see it - please feel free to question any of my choices here and I will let you know my reasoning behind each choice I made...

24 Offensive Players
25 Defensive Players
4 Special Team Players

QB
1. JT O’Sullivan
2. Alex Smith
3. Shaun Hill

RB
1. Frank Gore
2. DeShaun Foster
3. Michael Robinson
4. Michael Clayton

FB
1. Zac Keasey

WR
1. Isaac Bruce
2. Josh Morgan
3. Bryant Johnson
4. Arnaz Battle
5. Jason Hill (although I’d rather see DZ here – Hill catches the ball with his body not with his hands)

TE
1. Vernon Davis
2. Delanie Walker

T
1. Jonas Jennings
2. Joe Staley
3. Barry Sims

G
1. Tony Wragge
2. David Baas
3. Adam Snyder
4. Chilo Rachal

C
1. Eric Heitmann
2. Cody Wallace

DE
1. Justin Smith
2. Ray McDonald
3. Isaac Sopoapga

DT
1. Ronnie Fields
2. Kentwan Balmer
3. Abrayo Franklin

OLB
1. Manny Lawson
2. Tully Banta-Cain
3. Parys Haralson
4. Roderick Green

ILB
1. Patrick Willis
2. Jeff Ulbrich
3. Dontarrious Thomas
4. Takeo Spikes

CB
1. Nate Clements
2. Walt Harris
3. Shawntae Spencer
4. Donald Strickland
5. Reggie Smith
6. Marcus Hudson
7. Tarell Brown

SS
1. Michael Lewis
2. Keith Lewis

FS
1. Dashon Goldson
2. Mark Roman

LS
1. Brian Jennings

K
1. Joe Nedney

P
1. Andy Lee

PR/KR
1. Allen Rossum

Practice Squad
1. Dominique Ziegler - WR
2. Brian De La Puente – G
3. Louis Holmes – DE
4. Larry Grant – ILB
5. DJ Parker – S
6. JJ Finley – TE
7. Cam Colvin – WR
8. Ricky Schmitt - P/K

FrumDaBay
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
^^^^ not bad at all, however this line up lacks some depth on both lines... i wouldnt mind seeing marcus hudson and/or strickland released to add another lineman.. but other than that looks pretty good to me! Good work!

ALSO, do the numbers correspond with the the depth chart for each position? if so i disagree with some of those but the overall players i like

Otis4949
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
^^^^ not bad at all, however this line up lacks some depth on both lines... i wouldnt mind seeing marcus hudson and/or strickland released to add another lineman.. but other than that looks pretty good to me! Good work!

ALSO, do the numbers correspond with the the depth chart for each position? if so i disagree with some of those but the overall players i like

I agree - Strickland isn't going anywhere...what we need is another interior/NT type of lineman - but we don't have any - closest is Walter Curry but he still doesn't get good enough leverage...

My biggest issue with our defense and our team for that matter is the NT spot... Franklin has been pushed around all preseason... he has not looked good... however, I will say that Fields has looked fairly decent - not necessarily at the point of attck but he gets good leverage and uses his hands well and really is the only one who has taken that double team with any success...

jbeezy
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I like it :clap:

jbeezy
08-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Arnaz Battle-WR- 49ers Aug. 25 - 7:12 pm et

Arnaz Battle (hamstring) rejoined the 49ers for practice on Monday.

Battle's role in the new offense is yet to be determined. He was supposed to play in the slot like Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald before his injury.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Ashley Lelie-WR- 49ers Aug. 25 - 7:10 pm et

Ashley Lelie (calf) returned to 49ers practice Monday.

It's probably too little too late. Lelie tore his calf in camp and is buried on the depth chart. Look for him to be part of Saturday's final cuts.
Source: Sacramento

Rotoworld

bornFrisco49er
08-26-2008, 04:15 AM
"Offensive lineman David Baas, the teamís expected starting right guard, came off the team's physically unable to perform list and participated in his first practice of 2008 on Monday afternoon."

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4527

Im really glad to see David Baas back in action..i love the way he runs block with authority..I also loved how since hes been out that tony wragge, de la puente,chilo etc stepped in and did a fine job filling in knowing we have some solid depth at the interior line..i think more depth at tackle would be better, but im still happy the way sims,staley and jennings have been blocking

FrumDaBay
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
And then there were 53....

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2257060

Crombiestudd6
08-30-2008, 04:09 PM
too late check my post

brandonwarne52
08-31-2008, 11:41 PM
If any of you talk to Dontarrious, tell him I want my football back

DownSouth49er
08-31-2008, 11:58 PM
If any of you talk to Dontarrious, tell him I want my football back

contact SEAN21REDSKINS, he should be able to help you:laugh::laugh:

CalJo1617
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Thomas Clayton never really got a chance. Robinson didnt do ish last year and he got the roster spot cuz of his "versatility" :bs:

ninerfan609
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
too late check my post

i dont see it here...this is where it should be.

as i thought, moran norris was cut, i was ticked that clayton was too. lelei hasnt showed much, so that wasnt surprising. we kept bajema because we only have 2 tight ends, and hes a good blocker, so depth is good.