PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Resign JR Smith!

liliverson819
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Finally!!

It might have taken a little longer than some people expected, but on Friday J.R. Smith was officially re-signed by the Denver Nuggets to a multi-year contract extension.
"We're extremely delighted to have J.R. back," said Vice President of Basketball Operations Mark Warkentien. "His blend of off-the-charts-athleticism and long-range shooting ability is rare, especially for someone his age. We believe his best basketball is still to come."

Smith is still just 22 years of age and really came on during the final two months of last season. He scored a career-high 43 points off the bench in 33 minutes at Chicago on February 22nd, setting a team record for points in a non-starting role. Smith was also arguably Denver's most consistent player in the postseason against the Los Angeles Lakers averaging 18.3 ppg in 27 minutes.

Smith was originally acquired from the Chicago Bulls on July 20, 2006, in exchange for Howard Eisley and two second-round draft picks in a deal that could go down as one of the best in Nuggets history. He was originally selected by the New Orleans Hornets in the first round (18th overall) of the 2004 NBA Draft.

hoopsworld.com

Westbrook36
08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I'd do this

Allen Iverson
J.R Smith
Melo
K-Mart
Nene

Who was starting Point Guard last year that made J.R Off the bench?

liliverson819
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
im embarrased to say this but anthony carter made JR come off the bench.

superkegger
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Anthony carter i think.

Its the right move for them, but it doesn't really matter, they're still going nowhere with that lineup.

Rome
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Smart move. J.R. Is one of my favorite players in the L. He'll be a tremendous scorer throughout his career.

hyp21
08-22-2008, 02:22 PM
It's a good signing, but honestly they need to find a way to trade A.I. If George Karl wants to keep his job, he better try and see if that can work, cause this lineup isn't gonna work out, A.I. is gonna go back east and chase a title and the Nuggets are gonna be without a coach, and empty handed from A.I.'s abscence. Personally, work a three way out in some way. My thought:

Pistons

stuckey/almond/johnson
A.I./Afflalo
Rip/Herrmann
Prince/Maxiell
Brown(hey, they signed him for 4 mil, mine as well play him)/McDyess

Nuggets

Billups/Carter/Atkins
J.R./Jones
Melo
AK-47/K-Mart
Nene/Hunter

Jazz

Williams/Knight
Brewer/Korver
Harpring
Sheed/Millsap
Okur

Jay22Redd
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd do this

Allen Iverson
J.R Smith
Melo
K-Mart
Nene

Anthony Carter

superkegger
08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
It's a good signing, but honestly they need to find a way to trade A.I. If George Karl wants to keep his job, he better try and see if that can work, cause this lineup isn't gonna work out, A.I. is gonna go back east and chase a title and the Nuggets are gonna be without a coach, and empty handed from A.I.'s abscence. Personally, work a three way out in some way. My thought:

Pistons

stuckey/almond/johnson
A.I./Afflalo
Rip/Herrmann
Prince/Maxiell
Brown(hey, they signed him for 4 mil, mine as well play him)/McDyess

Nuggets

Billups/Carter/Atkins
J.R./Jones
Melo
AK-47/K-Mart
Nene/Hunter

Jazz

Williams/Knight
Brewer/Korver
Harpring
Sheed/Millsap
Okur

A couple things. Where did Boozer go?

Second, Prince cant play PF and rip can't play sf.

Third, no way Detroit gives up chauncey and sheed for just AI.

_Sn1P3r_
08-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Good pick-up. JR should be starting this year.

Beno7500
08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
They not making playoffs

dre1990
08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
great for the nuggets, i think he is a future all star

MoBASS
08-22-2008, 06:48 PM
How much and how many years did they sign him for? Anyone have a ballpark figure?

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-22-2008, 07:29 PM
good sign

DenButsu
08-22-2008, 07:48 PM

The fact that you don't know says it all.

They not making playoffs

Yeah, all of PSD seems to feel the same way. So go ahead, just keep telling yourselves that, everybody. I'll be here, laughing at you in April.

How much and how many years did they sign him for? Anyone have a ballpark figure?

As per team policy, the terms have not been released. I'd say the best guess would be 3-4 years (the official press release is "multi-year", not "long term") at a salary of somewhere between $4.5 and $6 million per. Which is a steal, even if it's at the upper end of that.

DenButsu
08-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Actually, they just reported a rough description of the terms in the Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/22/nuggets-sign-jr-smith-multi-year-deal/):

In the end, the Nuggets and Smith found middle ground as he signed a three-year, incentive-laden deal that will include a first-year base salary between $4 million and $5 million.

bball1217
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Good signing Nuggets.

TheFuture6
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Good signing, hopefully J.R. can get some national coverage this year to show how good he can really be.

They not making playoffs

I bet..

#1Mavericksfan
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
This was a must for Denver...J.R. Smith is a good young player.