PDA

View Full Version : PSD Western Conference First Round (#3 Houston vs. #6 Phoenix)

JordansBulls
08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
FIRST ROUND

Houston vs Phoenix
Winner: Vote here!

The total of votes for each team will be counted (all 4 options together) and the team with the higher total wins. Eventually, the result will be the option with the most votes (out of 4 options) of the team that has the most votes altogether.

Example:

If the option which has been voted most out of all 8 in the poll is "Memphis in 6" (20 votes), it doesn't necessarily mean that Memphis has won. If Memphis has 50 votes (Memphis in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), but New Orleans has 55 votes (New Orleans in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), New Orleans is the winner, although it didn't have the most votes in any of its 4 single options. The option with the most votes of the winner (New Orleans) is the final result.

Let's say:
Memphis in 4 = 10 votes
Memphis in 5 = 5 votes
Memphis in 6 = 20 votes
Memphis in 7 = 15 votes
Total = 50 votes

Now lets say New Orleans has
New Orleans in 4 = 12
New Orleans in 5 = 13
New Orleans in 6 = 17
New Orleans in 7 = 13
Total = 55 votes
The winner would be New Orleans in 6 since they would have the most votes total overall and thus the option for them that was voted the most is New Orleans in 6 would become the final result.

WESTERN CONFERENCE - Regular Season

Click the team name for poll results. The 8 best records in each conference have been determined. According to league rules, the seedings are as follows

(1) LA Lakers (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258909) - Pacific Division
(2) New Orleans (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259506) - Southwest Division
(3) Houston (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260362) - Southwest Division
(4) Utah (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261433) - Northwest Division - (5th best record)
(5) San Antonio (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260868) - Southwest Division - (4th best record)
(6) Phoenix (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261876) - Pacific Division
(7) Dallas (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262234) - Southwest Division
(8) Portland (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262633) - Pacific Division

superkegger
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I'll take Phoenix in 7. I'm not buying into artest being the missing piece for Houston, and I think Phoenix will figure it out about halfway through the year with Shaq.

fredv
08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Houston in 4. Pure domination.

NYMetros
08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Houston in 6. McGrady and company ends up being just too much for Phoenix, but I think Phoenix's high powered offense causes some problems for Houston in this matchup. Still, Houston's great defense is enough to give them the edge here.

dick butane
08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Houston won't have any healthy players left for the playoffs they never do.

still1ballin
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Going with the underdog with PHX in 6.

Tha Truth
08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I got Phoenix in 6 too.

Stat is a beast.

Premier
08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I think this series will go to 7 games. It's a tossup for me but I think I'll go with Phoenix.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
the rockets in 5.

J-Relo
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Phoenix in 6.

Jay22Redd
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Houston in 5

AgentViet
08-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Suns in 6.

yaowowrocket11
08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Houston in 6 games

Houston is the much better team, but the Suns run and gun style wins them a few games.

phillyphan4ever
08-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Houston go up 3-0, lose 3 straight, and TMac finally comes up big under pressure and carries the Rockets into the 2nd round. Rockets in 7

goku
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
rockets in 6 houston use the hack a shaq

fins08
08-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Rockets in 6

dre1990
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
houston is so over rated for not even playing a pre season game. they will be good but not great, and i think injurey will hold them back.this series could go either way thogh, but i put the suns in 7

val_modus
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Rockets in 5, they are just too much for Pheonix, Yao dominates Shaq, T-Mac tearing up the weak Suns D, and Artest and Battier shutting down outside shooters, just too much fire power for the aging suns and their NEW coaching staff.

JordansBulls
08-22-2008, 05:27 PM
houston is so over rated for not even playing a pre season game. they will be good but not great, and i think injurey will hold them back.this series could go either way thogh, but i put the suns in 7

that is what everyone said about the Celtics last year and people said the Bulls would beat them before even playing a game yet.

goku
08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
that is what everyone said about the Celtics last year and people said the Bulls would beat them before even playing a game yet.

true true :nod:

BurnsinPhilly
08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I dont know why I know they are old and decling and all but i think phoenix will make one more run this year.

AllTheWay
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Suns would win game 7 in houston. I doubt houston gets anything close th the third seed.

DreamShaker
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Very true....and I get tired of these people predicting injuries for the Rockets....if it happens it happens but to just flat out assume it is ridiculous....

superkegger
08-22-2008, 09:08 PM

Yeah but theres quite a difference between bringing in ray allen and KG to bringing in the volatile ron artest...

superkegger
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Very true....and I get tired of these people predicting injuries for the Rockets....if it happens it happens but to just flat out assume it is ridiculous....

idk, Yao hasn't played in 60 games in the past 3 years, and while tracy usually plays about 65, he's always ailing from something. IMO I think its completely fair to think that they won't play the entire 82 game season.

val_modus
08-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Suns would win game 7 in houston. I doubt houston gets anything close th the third seed.

Ya i know, i mean they were only the 4th seed last year and thats TERRIBLE in the weak west conference not to mention they did it half the season without this guy named Yao, dont worry u probably havent even heard of him hes terrible, oh man i forgot about this guy named Ron.... Artest, yes thats his name, the guys not gonna contribute at all!! i mean 20 a game with 2 steals a game? Who needs him hah. Theyll be lucky to even get into the playoffs, plus the Suns are onlygetting younger and better not to mention they signed a superstar center to backup th young primed superstar Shaq, man i dont think Houston has a chance whatsoever!

mitch91
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
suns in 6

innovator
08-23-2008, 10:14 AM
suns in 7, tmac's curse continues

innovator
08-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Ya i know, i mean they were only the 4th seed last year and thats TERRIBLE in the weak west conference not to mention they did it half the season without this guy named Yao, dont worry u probably havent even heard of him hes terrible, oh man i forgot about this guy named Ron.... Artest, yes thats his name, the guys not gonna contribute at all!! i mean 20 a game with 2 steals a game? Who needs him hah. Theyll be lucky to even get into the playoffs, plus the Suns are onlygetting younger and better not to mention they signed a superstar center to backup th young primed superstar Shaq, man i dont think Houston has a chance whatsoever!

i doubt artest would average 20ppg w/ houston behind yao and tmac and other scorers, in sacramento he is a top scoring option cuz of lack of scorers

TMAC94
08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Houston in 6

OtR_Ducks
08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
mcgrady curse finally ends. rockets in 6

IversonIsKrazy
08-23-2008, 06:06 PM
this 1 is going to b close.

PG: Nash >> Alston
SG: Bell << TMac
SF: Hill << Artest
PF: Amare >> Scola
C: Shaq << Yao

Bench: Barbosa/Diaw/Lopez > Landry/Battier/Mutumbo

I gotta go w/ rockets in 7

FOBolous
08-24-2008, 05:52 AM
this 1 is going to b close.

PG: Nash >> Alston
SG: Bell << TMac
SF: Hill << Artest
PF: Amare >> Scola
C: Shaq << Yao

Bench: Barbosa/Diaw/Lopez > Landry/Battier/Mutumbo

I gotta go w/ rockets in 7

you forgot Brent Barry.

Beno7500
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Houston in 5

mikedesi1004
08-24-2008, 02:33 PM
rockets in 6

rhino17
08-24-2008, 08:26 PM
rockets in 5

its a pretty good matchup for houston imo, Ron ron and tmac should light it up with no one on the suns being able to handle either of them

JPHX
08-24-2008, 09:24 PM
T-Mac has never gotten outa the first round even with all players healthy. what makes yall think he will do it against a new and improved suns team with a more offensive/defensive balance. plus now we have cohesion by this time.

Nash
Bell
Hill
Amare
Shaq

VS

Alston
McGrady
Battier
Artest
Yao

plus barnes, dragic, lopez, diaw, and barbosa!! come on phoenix is deeper and has the better big three.

suns in 5

SC1211
08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
T-Mac has never gotten outa the first round even with all players healthy. what makes yall think he will do it against a new and improved suns team with a more offensive/defensive balance. plus now we have cohesion by this time.

Nash
Bell
Hill
Amare
Shaq

VS

Alston
McGrady
Battier
Artest
Yao

plus barnes, dragic, lopez, diaw, and barbosa!! come on phoenix is deeper and has the better big three.

suns in 5

Hahahaha, sorry, this post made me laugh.

The problem with the Suns is that the lack an identity. Are they offensive or defensive? If they are offensive, Shaq is going to bring them down, if they are defensive, Amare, Nash, and Barbosa are going to struggle in half-court sets and a game with less posessions.

Shaq is aging, he's a shell of what he used to be. I will admit that he's done really well against Yao, but that ended about half-way through last year, where Yao manhandled Phoenix (I believe he dropped 30 one game.) Nash is also aging, and without his quickness, he's going to be much less effective. To say that your big three is better is, to be quite frank, asinine.

Furthermore, your "bench" can't match ours either. You listed Barnes, well we have Battier, who's a much better defender, and about equal in the offensive game. Dragic? A rookie who hasn't played a game yet? We have Aaron Brooks, who has a year under his belt, and will be more than enough to, at the very least, match Dragic. Lopez? We have Mutumbo and Chuck Hayes, two seasoned veterans with superior defensive skills, which is what Lopez's specialty is. Diaw is a versatile player, I'll give you that, but he's also been diminished in a lesser role. Landry is our backup PF, and does an excellent job at what he does: he's an explosive athelete who can finish at the rim and play good defense. And again, Battier plays a Diaw-like role, and does a better job. Barbosa is your best bench player, and he does have an edge over Brent Barry, but in the large scheme of things, the Rockets bench is much deeper and better than the Suns' bench. I didn't even mention Luther Head, Joey Dorsey, Steve Francis, or Mike Harris, who could all make a difference this season.

JPHX
08-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Hahahaha, sorry, this post made me laugh.

The problem with the Suns is that the lack an identity. Are they offensive or defensive? If they are offensive, Shaq is going to bring them down, if they are defensive, Amare, Nash, and Barbosa are going to struggle in half-court sets and a game with less posessions.

Shaq is aging, he's a shell of what he used to be. I will admit that he's done really well against Yao, but that ended about half-way through last year, where Yao manhandled Phoenix (I believe he dropped 30 one game.) Nash is also aging, and without his quickness, he's going to be much less effective. To say that your big three is better is, to be quite frank, asinine.

Furthermore, your "bench" can't match ours either. You listed Barnes, well we have Battier, who's a much better defender, and about equal in the offensive game. Dragic? A rookie who hasn't played a game yet? We have Aaron Brooks, who has a year under his belt, and will be more than enough to, at the very least, match Dragic. Lopez? We have Mutumbo and Chuck Hayes, two seasoned veterans with superior defensive skills, which is what Lopez's specialty is. Diaw is a versatile player, I'll give you that, but he's also been diminished in a lesser role. Landry is our backup PF, and does an excellent job at what he does: he's an explosive athelete who can finish at the rim and play good defense. And again, Battier plays a Diaw-like role, and does a better job. Barbosa is your best bench player, and he does have an edge over Brent Barry, but in the large scheme of things, the Rockets bench is much deeper and better than the Suns' bench. I didn't even mention Luther Head, Joey Dorsey, Steve Francis, or Mike Harris, who could all make a difference this season.

your playoff record vs our playoff record over the years proves otherwise.

as for identity, we were never a defensive team. we were a pure well oiled offensive machine. however that proved ineffective as of late. hence the changes of coaching, draft picks, trades and such. with all these offseason acquistions we are slowly turning into a balanced team. Lopez, Dragic, Barnes, and Bell all play tenacious D. a fact that no avid nba fan can deny. throw shaq and amare in the mix and it only gets better. our problem was that we could not defend the pick and roll, hence the pick of lopez; who is by far one of the top pick and roll defenders.

as for yao vs shaq. shaq is aging. everyone knows that. but do not count out a vet of shaqs caliber. respect the big man. Shaq did do very well against him and preety much owned yao the games they played against each other. your correct that Yao did drop 30 points. but that was before we even thought of acquiring shaq.

Nash who is also aging, but to say he will be less effective this season is not true. Nash would play almost all the games last season even in blowout games to the end. that wont happen anymore with the new coach. hence the addition of goran dragic. now before you even put him down let me say this. goran has an impressive track record. he played against the likes of tony parker and jose calderon, both nba stars, and was very successful. Goran also has a gold medal in the fiba championships and U20 olympics. he was the starting pg against greece, spain, and argentina; who took down Team USA in the 2004 olympics. so all these accomplishments of playing against top international/nba guards vs one year in the nba of aaron brooks? you say thats more than enough to contain dragic??

as for bench. you said battier for barnes. if im correct battier is one of your starters. diaw has only struggled because he was playing out of position with the lack of depth in our roster. this season that wont happen. diaw vs landry i presume would be the matchup of the second string PF. landry has game no doubt. but against diaw and lopez, who will also play that postion. landry will struggle. we also have admundson who was ROY of the DLeague and is a pure defensive player. you have mutombo but he is aged as well even more than shaq if im correct. Francis was not even a big factor last year and hasnt proved anything yet.

2nd string matchup

Brooks vs dragic
Head/barry vs Barbosa/strawberry
hayes vs barnes/Diaw
Scola vs Diaw/Lopez
mutombo/lopez

suns are younger and have a better track record as previously stated.

big 3:

Nash Tmac
Amare vs Artest
Shaq Yao

Lol. sorry

amare#1
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
The problem with the Suns is that the lack an identity. Are they offensive or defensive?

Who says a team needs an identity? Some of the better teams in the league ie. Pistons and Lakers are both decent offensive and defensive teams.

amare#1
08-25-2008, 01:04 AM
you forgot Brent Barry.

But they also forgot Dragic. As well as Barnes, who at this stage is better than Barry.

KiNgSuNs1
08-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Rockets in 5, they are just too much for Pheonix, Yao dominates Shaq, T-Mac tearing up the weak Suns D, and Artest and Battier shutting down outside shooters, just too much fire power for the aging suns and their NEW coaching staff.

hahhahahah wat a joke theres no one on ur roster that can guard stat ...alston cant hold nash so u better put battier or artest on him and still he going to be dishing da ball yao does not dominate shaq lol hahahhaha t mac struggles we can either put hill barnes strawberry diaw or bell on him hahahah artest willl see one of dem defenders 2 lol i think we will kill houston with being physcial,,,,just to let u know that artest couldnt guard amare if his life depended on it artest in foul trouble already calld it hahhahahhahah and we will shut everyone else down and let mcgrady go offf it wont work ask kobe

JPHX
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
^^agreed. look records dont lie. our playoffs record would give us the advantage. rockets couldnt even beat utah in the playoffs, where phoenix won the season series against utah.

rhino17
08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
How are the rockets not a deep team? they are extremely deep

PG: Rafer Alston, Steve Francis, Aaron Brooks
SG: Tracy McGrady, Luther Head, DJ Strawberry
SF: Ron Artest, Shane Battier, Mike Harris
PF: Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes
C: Yao Ming, Dikembe Mutombo, Joey Dorsey

looks pretty damn deep to me

_Sn1P3r_
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Rockets in 7 I think.

goku
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM

as for identity, we were never a defensive team. we were a pure well oiled offensive machine. however that proved ineffective as of late. hence the changes of coaching, draft picks, trades and such. with all these offseason acquistions we are slowly turning into a balanced team. Lopez, Dragic, Barnes, and Bell all play tenacious D. a fact that no avid nba fan can deny. throw shaq and amare in the mix and it only gets better. our problem was that we could not defend the pick and roll, hence the pick of lopez; who is by far one of the top pick and roll defenders.

as for yao vs shaq. shaq is aging. everyone knows that. but do not count out a vet of shaqs caliber. respect the big man. Shaq did do very well against him and preety much owned yao the games they played against each other. your correct that Yao did drop 30 points. but that was before we even thought of acquiring shaq.

Nash who is also aging, but to say he will be less effective this season is not true. Nash would play almost all the games last season even in blowout games to the end. that wont happen anymore with the new coach. hence the addition of goran dragic. now before you even put him down let me say this. goran has an impressive track record. he played against the likes of tony parker and jose calderon, both nba stars, and was very successful. Goran also has a gold medal in the fiba championships and U20 olympics. he was the starting pg against greece, spain, and argentina; who took down Team USA in the 2004 olympics. so all these accomplishments of playing against top international/nba guards vs one year in the nba of aaron brooks? you say thats more than enough to contain dragic??

as for bench. you said battier for barnes. if im correct battier is one of your starters. diaw has only struggled because he was playing out of position with the lack of depth in our roster. this season that wont happen. diaw vs landry i presume would be the matchup of the second string PF. landry has game no doubt. but against diaw and lopez, who will also play that postion. landry will struggle. we also have admundson who was ROY of the DLeague and is a pure defensive player. you have mutombo but he is aged as well even more than shaq if im correct. Francis was not even a big factor last year and hasnt proved anything yet.

2nd string matchup

Brooks vs dragic
hayes vs barnes/Diaw
Scola vs Diaw/Lopez
mutombo/lopez

big 3:

Nash Tmac
Amare vs Artest
Shaq Yao

Lol. sorry

how are yall younger shaq is 37 yrs old nash is 35 grant hill 35 yrs yall are way older than us we have a better defensive team and mostly a better offense after after getting artest shaq will slow phx down all you have to do is use hack-a-shaq to beat yall
rockets in 6

astrosmaniac
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM

2nd string matchup

Brooks vs dragic
hayes vs barnes/Diaw
Scola vs Diaw/Lopez
mutombo/lopez

big 3:

Nash Tmac
Amare vs Artest
Shaq Yao

Lol. sorry

how can artest and battier both be starting? the depth chart is:
Alston/Brooks
T-Mac/Barry
Artest/Battier
Scola/Landry
Yao/Deke-Hayes

Scola is the 2nd best player on the previously gold winning, and now bronze winning, argentina team, second only to manu ginobly. The Rockets team didnt have artest, to say our playoff record recently proves we suck is pointless cause we added a 20 PPG scorer and a top 3 wing defender for nothing. If you added artest and the spurs were saying, "we beat you the last 2 years, you dont have a chance" even though you added artest, don't you think that would be wrong too?

JPHX
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
how are yall younger shaq is 37 yrs old nash is 35 grant hill 35 yrs yall are way older than us we have a better defensive team and mostly a better offense after after getting artest shaq will slow phx down all you have to do is use hack-a-shaq to beat yall
rockets in 6

how can artest and battier both be starting? the depth chart is:
Alston/Brooks
T-Mac/Barry
Artest/Battier
Scola/Landry
Yao/Deke-Hayes

Scola is the 2nd best player on the previously gold winning, and now bronze winning, argentina team, second only to manu ginobly. The Rockets team didnt have artest, to say our playoff record recently proves we suck is pointless cause we added a 20 PPG scorer and a top 3 wing defender for nothing. If you added artest and the spurs were saying, "we beat you the last 2 years, you dont have a chance" even though you added artest, don't you think that would be wrong too?

first goku. i never said that our starters were young. i simply stated that our second unit is young and talented. in my personal opinion would have the advantage over the second unit of the rockets. hack a shaq will not be effective either this year with our depth at the 5 spot. simply take shaq out at put in Lopez who has an offensive game along with his superior defense.

astros. never did i state that you guys suck. you guys are a talented group of guys with now three superstars with the addtion of artest. i was only responding to a houston comment saying that the rockets would kill the suns in a 7 game series; possibly even sweep. what i meant was that houston hasnt proved that yet because they havent even gotten out of the first round in past years, whereas the suns have made it to conference finals. he also compared our new backup pg dragic with brooks saying brooks is the better pg with one nba season under his belt. well dragic has not played an nba game yet but has played and won against top euro teams which included top international/nba stars like parker and calderon. these same teams dragic played against are the same ones that took down Team USA in 2004. i was simply defending the statement that dragic was a nobody. so basically to say that the rockets would steam roll the suns is not true.