PDA

View Full Version : How schedules will impact playoff contenders

Towelie
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Rays

Remaining Opponents' Avg. Win%: 0.532
Home Games Left/Road Games Left: 16/20
Biggest Series: 9/8-9/10 @Red Sox

September will certainly test the mettle of the upstart Rays: starting on the 2nd of the month, they play 19 straight games against the Yankees, Red Sox, vastly underrated Blue Jays, and Twins, and they'll have only one off day during that stretch. To date, they've played the toughest schedule in all of baseball, and it's only going to get more difficult in the coming weeks. The good news is that the division lead is secure for the time being. Truly, the Rays have earned their standing as one of the game's best teams.

Red Sox

Remaining Opponents' Avg. Win%: 0.532
Home Games Left/Road Games Left: 20/15
Biggest Series: 8/29-8/31 White Sox

Over at Baseball Prospectus, they give the Red Sox just a 27.3 percent chance of winning the AL East, but they give them a 63.2 percent chance of taking the Wild Card. That's why, from Boston's perspective, their most important games don't come against the division-leading Rays. The more realistic goal is taking the Wild Card. They don't play the Twins again this season, but they do tangle with the White Sox at the end of the month. The good news is that the Sox play most of their remaining games at home; the bad news is that their opponents are generally quite tough.

Twins

Remaining Opponents' Avg. Win%: .500
Home Games Left/Road Games Left: 12/24
Biggest Series: 9/23-9/25 White Sox

Thanks to the Republican National Convention's arrival in Minneapolis, the Twins are about to play 14 straight on the road. In 2008, they're just 26-31 away from home, so it's obviously a crucial stretch. Worse for the Twins' hopes is that, from this point forward, they play twice as many games on the road.

White Sox

Remaining Opponents' Avg. Win%: .524
Home Games Left/Road Games Left: 17/19
Biggest Series: 9/23-9/25 @Twins

The schedule isn't easy for the South Siders, but considering how many road games Minnesota has in the coming weeks, it's still an edge for the Sox. The goal is to build upon their narrow division lead and make that late September series against the Twins a little less meaningful.

Crucis
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Good post, Towelie. The Sox definitely have an edge with all those home games.

As a side question, I'm curious how the DNC is affecting the Rockies schedule.

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
So overall, good chance at making the playoffs through either Wild Card, or the Al East. I hope we can pass the Rays though. I want them to go against the Angels in the playoffs.

Crucis
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I agree, Bean. I'd rather see the Red Sox play the White Sox or Twins than the Angels in the first round. This year's Angels team looks like a tougher bunch than the Angels teams that the Sox swept in 04 and 07.

yaowowrocket11
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Nice thread.

Yes! The one thing I am proud of about the Republican Party is the Convention to screw up the Twins!

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Also, I'd like Tampa to take down the Angels. :)