PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills deserves more talk as an NBA prospect

blazers=future
08-22-2008, 05:12 AM
In the aftermath of the USAs most recent game against Australia a few things become clear to me. One, the USA is by far and away the best team in the Olympics if they play together (nothing ground breaking!) and two that Patty Mills deserves more respect as of now. His twenty points against the likes of Chris Paul proved this without a doubt. As Paul said himself: “He’s good”... “Man, he’s fast. I read something that says he’s faster than me. They’re probably right. He can move.” And Krzyzewski had only praise for Mills...He’s a great guard. He’ll be an NBA guard. I’m very, very impressed. “He really has great quickness. And I love him defensively. “I’ve been a defensive coach my whole life and there aren’t very many people who stay with the guard, like right on him, when he has the ball, and if he’s beaten, he doesn’t retreat, he continues to play the play.“He’s got to be an extremely tough-minded kid. But as good as he is offensively, he’s got a chance to be a great defender. I think the kid has got a big-time future, quite frankly.” As an underated and little talked about freshman playing for Saint Mary's this year, Mills averaged 14.8 points, 3.5 assists and 1.9 steals. Even more impressive was when he scored 37 points to lead the Gaels to an upset of nationally-ranked Oregon.

Does anything more really need to be said for the lightning 20 year old?

Imagine him on a faced paced team like Phoenix, New York (under D'Antoni) or Golden State. Incidentally, all these teams are in need of point guards for the future. So, next time you talk of NBA point guard prospects, keep the little indiginous kid from Canberra, Australia in mind he leads an Australian revival which includes the likes of A.J. Ogilvy, Nathan Jawai, Brad Newley and Joe Ingles.

knicks1214
08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
What do you mean he deserves more talk as an NBA prospect...after the first game, and during the second game, they were talking about how he is making some noise after these olympics. He was just a freshman in college...he averaged 15 ppg...as he gets older, more people will talk about him.

dick butane
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm just not thrilled by a prospect named Patty. I thought this was a joke thread and you were touting someone from the Wnba.

SwaggaIke
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
No he doesn't. He's undersized and he's not a shooter. He's not a pure point and he plays faster than his mind can process what he's doing. Its only his Sophomore year and he plays for Saint Mary's. At least let him have a nice 2nd season.

superkegger
08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Agreed, he's alright, but nothing spectacular. What do you think those guys are going to say after they game, when this entire olympics has been about respecting opponents, throwing arrogance out the window etc...What did you really expect them to say? "Man, his name is patty, what a ******." Or maybe, "He's average at best, we schooled that punk though." He's got a chance, but that's about it.

blazers=future
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
firstly the very fact that they are talking about him is something
secondly, when a kids blowing by chris paul and finishing over dwight howard thats pretty impressive

amare#1
08-23-2008, 12:12 AM
cutler?

theuuord
08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm just not thrilled by a prospect named Patty. I thought this was a joke thread and you were touting someone from the Wnba.

sooooooooooooo not the reason to turn away from an NBA prospect.

amare#1
08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Both Patty Mills and this post deserve more respect. He should be a solid point guard in the NBA within a few years. His speed and D by themselves put him infront of many other PG prospects. Once the kid develops a consistent jumper he will be amazing.

blazers=future
08-23-2008, 12:41 AM
wat the **** has his name got to do with anything??

TMAC94
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
name is not patty, its Patrick

IndyRealist
08-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Like all prospects, there's no garuantee that Mills' game will translate into the NBA, he's crazy fast and a pitbull on defense, but Australia runs a gimmicky system involving a ridiculous amount of 3pt shooting. Put him on Phoenix, or Philly, or Indiana and he'd probably do fine. Put him on Houston or San Antonio and it's a whole other matter. Not to mention the sheer amount of contact in these Olympic games would illicit fouls, fines, and suspensions in the NBA. Would his tenacity, speed, and defense hold up over 82 games plus playoffs, as opposed to 30? It's always a worry with players that play with reckless abandon. Mills could be the next Steve Nash, or he may never be able to adjust to the NBA. I think the amount of attention he's garnered is pretty spot on, maybe even a bit overdone considering how much praise he's getting from Team USA.

I will say this, if he declares for the draft next year, I'm pushing my Pacers to draft him.

KNICKSFAN
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah he does.

Actually I first heard about him when my friend who attends St Mary's told me about a kid named Patrick that he played 1 on 1 in basketball. He told me that he was amazing.

And to think a year and a half later he would be considered to be a NBA prospect and a big part of the Australian basketball team.

Me and my friend both agree he will be a solid 2nd rd pick, he is SUPER FAST.

DreamShaker
08-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Me too dude....

AllTheWay
08-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Dreamshaker you fool

mosdef17
08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Thats why this forum is 90% rubbish... and someone actually quoted him to agree with him? :clap: Well done...

Good thread blazers. Being Australian I have been following this guy for a while now, have always thought he has potential to be something. It is true that he sometimes plays a little too fast but he will learn to control that as he gets experience and his maturity grows as he is only 20 as you mentioned. He is a better shooter then he showed in the Olympics, way better, he had a pretty bad time shooting in Beijing. He is better then that don't you worry. Pat could make a good backup point guard one day on a good team or even a starter for someone like the Knicks or Golden State. It is still early days and I think he has a lot more to show. We have $70m Bogut on our team and Mills was our MVP.

amare#1
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Imagine him on a faced paced team like Phoenix

Phoenix don't need him anymore, we picked up Sean Singletary who is basically the same player with more experience and a much better shot!

dick butane
08-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Thats why this forum is 90% rubbish... and someone actually quoted him to agree with him? :clap: Well done...

Good thread blazers. Being Australian I have been following this guy for a while now, have always thought he has potential to be something. It is true that he sometimes plays a little too fast but he will learn to control that as he gets experience and his maturity grows as he is only 20 as you mentioned. He is a better shooter then he showed in the Olympics, way better, he had a pretty bad time shooting in Beijing. He is better then that don't you worry. Pat could make a good backup point guard one day on a good team or even a starter for someone like the Knicks or Golden State. It is still early days and I think he has a lot more to show. We have $70m Bogut on our team and Mills was our MVP.

No this forum is 90% rubbish because guys like you have no sense of humor:clap:. On threads I find topical or interesting you'll get my thoughts. When some nice things were said about a guy from the Olympics that I don't think is really a top prospect I might crack a joke. He played well and he is fast. I'd like to see the fourth or fifth time he plays against top NBA talent. When the adjustments and scouting choices are made I think this kid gets burned in the NBA.

blazers=future
08-26-2008, 04:44 AM
it would seem that now Mills is getting some love from the basketball world
its way too early to say but... draftexpress.com currently have Mills at no. 14 pick in '09

HiphopRelated
08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Pargo

Rome
08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
The kid is sick. He had some pretty amazing plays in that game and suprised me. He'll definitely will be an NBA guard.

IndyRealist
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Word of caution, I remember hearing the same things about a young Jason Williams....

Replying to another post, yes the Suns did pick up Singletary. But he figures to be the 3rd string PG behind Nash and Goran Dragic. I don't see Singletary ever being anything other than a backup. Mills has the potential to start on a quality team.

Rome
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Good assumption. He did seem like he was too fast paced in that game and was a little out of control. He kept running and running, stamina actually suprised me too. But he scored and did what he had to.