PDA

View Full Version : Risky Year?

muninade
08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Is it just me or does it seem to be a riskier year by BC. like it seems as we have a weaker bench, weaker PG situation?

We rellying alot on calderon, and rukic to hold the point, alot more is based on jermain, and bargs to develope, Bench doesnt seem as strong as it was last year. Much of the play off dreams rely on key players. who if we lose at any point of the season our bench will not be able to save us as it use to.

Dol-Fan
08-22-2008, 12:58 AM
bench sucked last year, it was really only good the first year of BC.

PG situation had to be changed. it was either Caldy-Roko or TJ-Roko, which do you prefer? TJ is a bigger injury risk and who feels comfortable with Ukic running the point, even if we got someone better for Caldy then we did for TJ?

We altered the PG situation and upgraded our D/rebounding the best we could. All BC could do was trade and injury risk for an injury risk.

the only guy we will really miss is Rasho, what other key players did we lose? Delfino sucked, Garbo didn't play, and i guess we'll really miss Maceo Baston's outstanding practice skills.

Tha Truth
08-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Yes the Raptors are in trouble if the stars get injured but so is every other team.

Can't really control the injuries.

Just have to deal with them.

lovingTO
08-22-2008, 04:22 AM
The raptors cant be any more disappointing than the Blue Jays.

RapsFan4Life
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
i agree with you muninade, carlos and rasho and tj will be missed ALOT

BUT, we got a giant asset in jermain and he is the key to success in post season
the reason we got kicked out in the first round is because there are some big boys in the east, Kevin, Kendrick, Dwight, Zudrinis, Haywood, Rasheed, Elton
and Chris can do a decent job of guarding them but its tough for him and it really dents his ability on offense, so getting another big since bargs is a peice of shyt, like jermain bosh will be able to run his offense and top stamina

as Boston is the champs they had 3 starts and everyone else was cr*p, but they won becasue they took the risk, the risk that if paul or kevin were to go down they would forfit a season... and that is a risk that has to be taken by any team to win, look at dwayne and shaq, if either were to go down they would not have gone all the way with miami, if timmy ever gets hurt in the playoffs ...
im saying there is not championship without the risk... i have faith in you Jermain and so does BC, so dont let us down ... or i will throw eggs at you ...

boms-4
08-23-2008, 01:53 AM
T.J missed alot of last year and was not healthy so i think for sure Calderon and Roko are better for this club.

ramz.n
08-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Is it just me or does it seem to be a riskier year by BC. like it seems as we have a weaker bench, weaker PG situation?

We rellying alot on calderon, and rukic to hold the point, alot more is based on jermain, and bargs to develope, Bench doesnt seem as strong as it was last year. Much of the play off dreams rely on key players. who if we lose at any point of the season our bench will not be able to save us as it use to.

i don't really consider the raptors weaker at the pt...Ford was injuried for majority of the season and when he came back he wasnt exactly in game shape or healthy enough to play, the upcoming season i can see Calderon carrying the load again and Ukic contributing just as much as Ford (not scoring wise) but when he came on off the bench and was just a playmaker..and our bench is the the same as last season but without Delfino..but could this open up more opportunities for Kapono! I believe Kapono will have a better season because he will get more opportunities to shoot the ball as well as being one of the go to guys off the bench

J_B
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
The raptors cant be any more disappointing than the Blue Jays.

lmao,the leafs arent doing as well also XD

Raptors27
08-26-2008, 11:56 AM
bench sucked last year, it was really only good the first year of BC.

PG situation had to be changed. it was either Caldy-Roko or TJ-Roko, which do you prefer? TJ is a bigger injury risk and who feels comfortable with Ukic running the point, even if we got someone better for Caldy then we did for TJ?

We altered the PG situation and upgraded our D/rebounding the best we could. All BC could do was trade and injury risk for an injury risk.

the only guy we will really miss is Rasho, what other key players did we lose? Delfino sucked, Garbo didn't play, and i guess we'll really miss Maceo Baston's outstanding practice skills.

Delfino didn't suck, he was our best bench player, sure he was somewhat inconsistent but still a good player.

Dol-Fan
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Delfino didn't suck, he was our best bench player, sure he was somewhat inconsistent but still a good player.

being the best bench player on this team last year doesn't say a whole lot, read the upper part of my post where i say the bench sucked last year. it was a bunch of half decent players fighting for playing time and none of them were given that consistantly. This year, hopefully a thinner bench will allow for more defined roles. For example, Bargnani will be the primary big man off the bench and will hopefully get 25-30 min a game and play well. Kapono will be the primary shooter off the bench and will not have to sit for Delfino.

jasondrobinson
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM

The only thing consistent about Delfino was his inconsistency. Im glad he's gone but i am a bit nervous about the upcoming year. I think its due to the fact that there are a lot of new faces and other then JO, they are all unproven and unseen. Therefore its hard to get a read of how the bench will actually produce.

boms-4
08-26-2008, 03:29 PM
^^^yeah another raps fan from winnipeg!

Craig333
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Boston had the same concerns going into last season, and they're all wearing championship rings.

Master P
08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
no risk, no ring. it is the truth of sports.

my thesis for this message is easy: on paper, the raptors are a better team than last season.

the starting lineup got a huge boost.
C: instead of a black hole they have big man who can dominate defensively and also knows a thing or two about putting the ball in the basket.
PF: Bosh can only be better playing on the floor with oneal. we saw his efficiency go up at the olympics as he was surrounded by great players. i anticipate big things for CB4 this year.
SF: Moon may be our weakest starter; however, he was our starter last year too. he'll probably be a bit better than last year two, thus supporting the raptors are better thesis.
SG: Parker is under-rated, especially as a defender. again he was the starter last year so it definately doesn't make the raptors worse this year.
PG: Calderon was borderline an all-star last year. his play in the olympics prior to injury was what we've come to expect. Great playmaker, unselfish, efficient in regards to scoring and low turnovers. In the games he started last year he was more productive and consistant than ford, so him in the starting roll makes the raptors a better team over the season.

Then the bench. It is worth mentioning that people are putting to much gravity into their concern about the bench. I think we can all agree that even if the bench is worse than last season, this is more than made up for by the improvement in the starting lineup.

Big Men: Bargs. he should get the vast majority of the backup minutes. if he isn't better than last year ill eat my shoe. then in foul trouble or injury situations Hump steps in, and he should be same old if not better. Then lil-shaq gets garbage time, big deal.
Middle Men: Kapono. Last year it was Kapono and Delfino. I liked Delfino, but he shot them out of as many games as he shot them into. Let Kapono take all the minutes and watch him thrive with two capable big men on the floor with him at all times. Now when he gets blown by on defense someone will be there to help. So Kapono gets the majour minutes, not a huge step backwards for the raptors. I can see Bargs sliding over to the three in late game offense-defense situations if he was hot that night. Other than that you can call on Adams to at least play defense for a few minutes in foul trouble or injury time, or you can roll the dice with Joey G just so we can all have fun watching Mitchell get pissed.
PG: Roko is obviously the biggest step backwards for the Raptors. Jose off the bench was incrediable. This is the teams biggest drop off. however, reports are that he's a capable play-maker, little bit of a drive, not really a proven shooter, etc. not a stirling resume, actually similar to calderon when he came over. as long as he doesn't turn the ball over or shoot too much he should be alright. and at 6'6" he should be able to defend a bit. If he has as good a rookie year as jose I will be happy. Then backing him up is Solomon, which I liked. Last year the raptors got exposed a little bit for not having a back-up for the back-up. No offense to Juan and Delfino, but that was not a good line-up.

so yeah, the raptors are a better team. great starting lineup. 3 main guys off the bench, only one of which is unproven in the nba. Should be a fun year.

Raptors27
08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
no risk, no ring. it is the truth of sports.

my thesis for this message is easy: on paper, the raptors are a better team than last season.

the starting lineup got a huge boost.
C: instead of a black hole they have big man who can dominate defensively and also knows a thing or two about putting the ball in the basket.
PF: Bosh can only be better playing on the floor with oneal. we saw his efficiency go up at the olympics as he was surrounded by great players. i anticipate big things for CB4 this year.
SF: Moon may be our weakest starter; however, he was our starter last year too. he'll probably be a bit better than last year two, thus supporting the raptors are better thesis.
SG: Parker is under-rated, especially as a defender. again he was the starter last year so it definately doesn't make the raptors worse this year.
PG: Calderon was borderline an all-star last year. his play in the olympics prior to injury was what we've come to expect. Great playmaker, unselfish, efficient in regards to scoring and low turnovers. In the games he started last year he was more productive and consistant than ford, so him in the starting roll makes the raptors a better team over the season.

Then the bench. It is worth mentioning that people are putting to much gravity into their concern about the bench. I think we can all agree that even if the bench is worse than last season, this is more than made up for by the improvement in the starting lineup.

Big Men: Bargs. he should get the vast majority of the backup minutes. if he isn't better than last year ill eat my shoe. then in foul trouble or injury situations Hump steps in, and he should be same old if not better. Then lil-shaq gets garbage time, big deal.
Middle Men: Kapono. Last year it was Kapono and Delfino. I liked Delfino, but he shot them out of as many games as he shot them into. Let Kapono take all the minutes and watch him thrive with two capable big men on the floor with him at all times. Now when he gets blown by on defense someone will be there to help. So Kapono gets the majour minutes, not a huge step backwards for the raptors. I can see Bargs sliding over to the three in late game offense-defense situations if he was hot that night. Other than that you can call on Adams to at least play defense for a few minutes in foul trouble or injury time, or you can roll the dice with Joey G just so we can all have fun watching Mitchell get pissed.
PG: Roko is obviously the biggest step backwards for the Raptors. Jose off the bench was incrediable. This is the teams biggest drop off. however, reports are that he's a capable play-maker, little bit of a drive, not really a proven shooter, etc. not a stirling resume, actually similar to calderon when he came over. as long as he doesn't turn the ball over or shoot too much he should be alright. and at 6'6" he should be able to defend a bit. If he has as good a rookie year as jose I will be happy. Then backing him up is Solomon, which I liked. Last year the raptors got exposed a little bit for not having a back-up for the back-up. No offense to Juan and Delfino, but that was not a good line-up.

so yeah, the raptors are a better team. great starting lineup. 3 main guys off the bench, only one of which is unproven in the nba. Should be a fun year.

Nice analysis.

ShaunRiching9
08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
as long as our bigs stay healthy for 70-82 games we willbe in good shape
and also if bosh goes down with an injury we have jermaine who will carry the load and we wont go 2-7 or something lol

huidogg
08-27-2008, 02:54 AM
being the best bench player on this team last year doesn't say a whole lot, read the upper part of my post where i say the bench sucked last year. it was a bunch of half decent players fighting for playing time and none of them were given that consistantly. This year, hopefully a thinner bench will allow for more defined roles. For example, Bargnani will be the primary big man off the bench and will hopefully get 25-30 min a game and play well. Kapono will be the primary shooter off the bench and will not have to sit for Delfino.

Well, our bench sucked last year, no doubt about that, but it is even worst this year, what I am very piss about is this year' bench. Check the stats, Delfino had the best season of his career last year, very productive, and i don't agree with you, i think it is very important to being the best sixth man. Sixth man is sometimes the turning point of the game, i think u see how wade as the sixth man of Team USA was always the turning points and always the one who change the game for team usa. Anyhow, i have said it before, but i will say it again, this year bench SUCKS. We lost Rasho and Delfino, two very very key players to our bench for a bunch of unproven players in adams (who?), Jawaii (will hardly play any mins), solomon (a 11th man, and 10th man at most) and Ukic (the only solid player from tat group, but still very unproven. Then there is Bargani, we always wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for him to develop.. how long do we have to wait?? and Kopono, a good shooter who never shoot last season and can't defend, and here is our damn bench. Think about it, be damn realistic, last year bench sucks, but own this year bench

bargani = bargani
kopono = kopono
calderon (ford- since he sometimes off the bench) > ukic
Delfino > (a BIG >) Adams
Rasho > Jawaii (compare them because Jawaii and Rasho play the same position)
Baston < Solomon (compare them because they are both 11th and 12th men quality
Joey = Joey
Hump = Hump

And there goes our bench. You see the difference, Rasho, Ford (many of you guys consider him as a bench player last year) and Delfino all was better than the non sense addition we bring in.

I am not trying to be negative, but in reality, this year' bench sucks.. i just hope our very good starting lineup is enough to win games, cuz we can't depend on our bench. Cuz our bench basically only hav 3 players. Bargani, Kopono, Ukic, and one is unproven, the rest is nonsense, compare to last year, we have 5 good bench players; Ford (Calderon), Delfino, Rasho, Kopono and Bargani. So yah, if you say last year bench sucks, look at this year buddy.

Master P
08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
no team in the nba relies on their bench to win them games. sure the bench may get hot now and then and really change a few games, but predominantly it is the starters that get the wins.
and the notion the kapono doesnt shoot. well it's hard to when you aren't on the floor. last year during the regular season delfino had the minutes. im not going to debate who is better, but after watching the playoffs and in miami two years ago it's easy to see that if kapono gets his minutes he'll score the basketball.
and bargs, if you want a sixth man that can change games then look no further. when his shot is on he'll blow games open. when it's off he'll get his fouls on defense and the other team will go on a run. definately a game changer.
and would people stop saying the bench sucks because of adams, jawaii, solomon, and graham. these guys are not in the regular rotation. they really dont matter save in exceptional circumstances (foul trouble, injury).
and then everyone crying that the raptors wont be competitive this year if their starters get injured. look at how they performed without bosh last year, are you telling me they will be worse? is it even possible? maybe they wont be as 'in the game' if they have to play the bums at the end of the bench for a few minutes, but they are still going to lose.

lindo09891
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't see the Raptors as having a weaker bench this year. Yes, on paper last year the bench was much more talented and deep. But they all proved to be very inconsistent with the exception of Calderon/Ford. Consistency is key in having a good bench. With a thinner bench of NBA experience to go along with Ukic, Solomon, Adams, Jawai, I see more consistent playing time for players like Bargs and Kapono alowing them to contribute more than they did last season.

lukeem21
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Bargs
Hump
Kapono
Ukic/ Solomon

will be the main bench players... Bargs, Hump and Kapono were the main bench players at their positions last year, each one is young and could easily improve upon last year

the major question mark is at pg obviously) however we need less from the pg spot this year... not only will calderon be playing more minutes but with the Bosh, Oneal combo a lot of the offense will be from post up and kick instead of drive and dish... so a tj ford type pg could be counter productive, forcing the play and turning the ball over... we need point guards that are not going to try to do too much and get the ball to the the wings to get it into the post, thats where we will probably be working from when the back up point guard is in

the main point is i dont see Hump, bargnani, or Kapono being noticably worse then last year and both Bargnani and Kapono have a chance to drastically improve.... I am not too worried about the bench unless a starter goes down for the year (Bosh, Oneal, Calderon) but how many teams in the NBA can deal with a loss like that?!?!?

Tom Stone
08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm looking for Nathan Jawari, to steal the back up Center role, in preseason.....I for one am tired of being this week *** basketball team, I think Nathan can become that physical banger at the back up role.....come in, grad boards and get put backs...If you watched in summer camp, he didn't get in much foul trouble and had nimble feet, and he 280 and can really jump....did I mention he has a 7"5 wing span....I say we put this rook in the fire and get him improving quickly......The year of Baby Shaq!

star
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for Nathan Jawari, to steal the back up Center role, in preseason.....I for one am tired of being this week *** basketball team, I think Nathan can become that physical banger at the back up role.....come in, grad boards and get put backs...If you watched in summer camp, he didn't get in much foul trouble and had nimble feet, and he 280 and can really jump....did I mention he has a 7"5 wing span....I say we put this rook in the fire and get him improving quickly......The year of Baby Shaq!

Is this another one where "you know you are right"

lukeem21
08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
if Jawai can steal minutes with impressive play then great but i am not counting on anything... its all bonus from him this year

slmbyft
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, our bench sucked last year, no doubt about that, but it is even worst this year, what I am very piss about is this year' bench. Check the stats, Delfino had the best season of his career last year, very productive, and i don't agree with you, i think it is very important to being the best sixth man. Sixth man is sometimes the turning point of the game, i think u see how wade as the sixth man of Team USA was always the turning points and always the one who change the game for team usa. Anyhow, i have said it before, but i will say it again, this year bench SUCKS. We lost Rasho and Delfino, two very very key players to our bench for a bunch of unproven players in adams (who?), Jawaii (will hardly play any mins), solomon (a 11th man, and 10th man at most) and Ukic (the only solid player from tat group, but still very unproven. Then there is Bargani, we always wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait for him to develop.. how long do we have to wait?? and Kopono, a good shooter who never shoot last season and can't defend, and here is our damn bench. Think about it, be damn realistic, last year bench sucks, but own this year bench

bargani = bargani
kopono = kopono
calderon (ford- since he sometimes off the bench) > ukic
Delfino > (a BIG >) Adams
Rasho > Jawaii (compare them because Jawaii and Rasho play the same position)
Baston < Solomon (compare them because they are both 11th and 12th men quality
Joey = Joey
Hump = Hump

And there goes our bench. You see the difference, Rasho, Ford (many of you guys consider him as a bench player last year) and Delfino all was better than the non sense addition we bring in.

I am not trying to be negative, but in reality, this year' bench sucks.. i just hope our very good starting lineup is enough to win games, cuz we can't depend on our bench. Cuz our bench basically only hav 3 players. Bargani, Kopono, Ukic, and one is unproven, the rest is nonsense, compare to last year, we have 5 good bench players; Ford (Calderon), Delfino, Rasho, Kopono and Bargani. So yah, if you say last year bench sucks, look at this year buddy.

Don't be so quick to judge Adams...I seen him play in a pre-season game against the Raps when he was with Jersey....He can play solid D and can get to the rim as well.

The Wise 1
08-28-2008, 12:01 PM

While I would love to see that happen, it probably wont. Simply because there is this 7 foot guy who was drafted 1st overall and he needs his minutes. If Jawai or anyone stole the back up C minutes then that would mean Andrea would only be getting like 10 minutes a game backing up Chris. If he proves that hes that good then maybe BC could trade Andrea for a wing :)