PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce Quotes encouraging

IowaAJ
08-21-2008, 11:11 PM
These quotes made me feel a lot better about this team.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080821&content_id=3343989&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

"It's not like we didn't have the chances," said rookie right fielder Jay Bruce, who notched Cincinnati's first run with a sixth-inning solo homer off Carlos Zambrano. "The big thing in the Major Leagues, and it's something I'm learning -- you have to capitalize on the chances you have. The more we start doing that, the better off we're going to be."

I think about the chances we had and I had," Bruce said. "In the first inning, there was a runner on third base, less than two outs, you have to get him in. That changes the whole game right there

I like how he singled himself out and he took the blame on this play.

That says a lot right there," Bruce said. "Obviously, this a lot different team now that [Ken] Griffey and [Adam] Dunn are gone. But we still have a chance to produce runs and win games like anyone else. We definitely can't use that as an excuse, because we had the chances. We have people that are capable of doing things to score runs and produce runs. We just have to learn. It's a work in progress, but we're still going to win our fair share of games."

This team is very young so we have to be patient but it is good to see them not making excuses because we have had a bunch of injuries and we have traded are 2 best hitters. This team is not using that as an excuse. I think this time right now will only help us when we become contenders. Man for a 21 year old kid this kid sure has a great baseball mind.

As much as we want to complain this team is very young. The RBI guys now our Phillips, Bruce, Votto and Encarnacion this is a different position then most of these guys have been in at the major league level. Dickerson also a very good young player who just came up. This team is going to make mistakes but we do have a good foundation. We have 2 very good young pitchers in Volquez and Cueto and we also have Bailey if he ever figures out how to pitch in the majors.

Bruce, Votto, Dickerson all rookies all in our starting lineup this time will only help us for the future. One last thing I think it was the right move to trade Dunn and Griffey. I know a lot of you say we didn't get anything for Dunn but we got Owings who was a pretty good pitcher last year and Wilkin Castillo who I think his versatillity will help this team in the future.

RedsFan24
08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Wait we officially got owings? must have missed that. but im glad that bruce is stepping up and taking some blame. He will definitely be a leader. I really like what he is saying. I agree that griffey and dunn had to be traded. As long as they were here the negative thoughts of failed years would linger around. We have struggled since the trades but it is because we have so many young guys. I am lookin forward to the future. Also I do understand why so many people were upset about the Dunn trade, he will be missed but there was no way we could afford him. So i wish him the best and if he still wants to play in cincy so bad he can do it in the offseason and give us a big discount :D. Im glad to see that bruce is takin a page from griffey and dunn and being a leader on this team. Let's hope he keeps up this act

jlohm1
08-22-2008, 06:35 PM
patience.... that what the Reds have been saying for years now

IowaAJ
08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
No we haven't gotten Owings yet but he is going to be the 3rd guy.

coltsfan11
08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree that it's very encouraging for all Reds fans that he is acting this way. To me it seem like he is starting to become a leader for this young Reds team. That's exactly what they need him to do. Hopefully he will be able to become the team leader for many years in the future.

RedsFan24
08-23-2008, 05:19 PM
so all those rumors about it being owings were true? i thought htey were all just abunch of bull. I would be sstoked if he really was the other guy tho makes the trade look better. But hopefully bruce will be a huge leader next year when him and the rest of this young team tries to rebound and push for the playoffs

ZWOLL14
08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah we got Owings. The only reason he hasn't been sent over yet is because he's on the DL and players can't be placed on waivers if they are injured. If he remains on the DL the rest of the season, we will get him at the end of the year.

jlohm1
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
is owings even that good?

GCC
08-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Owings isnt bad but I would still rather finish the year with Dunn.What`s your opinion on Baker? I dont think he is the right man for this team. He is trying to win games but we need to keep guys like Patterson and Bako on the bench and let the kids play.This club really needs someone like McKeon.Id even give Ray Knight another shot.

Freel for prez
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Props to Bruce...he did say the obvious but hes also a 21 year old who is the best position player on our team and we definitely need a leader. I agree that Bako and Patterson should not be playing. If your going to rebuild, unless you have a great CF and C (we don't) then their should be a kid playing their. The Patterson at center isn't too terrible but the fact that Bako is catching really angers me. Hes old, finished, done. Let Hanigan catch the rest of the games or some other kid. This team IS headed in the right direction and getting rid of Grif and Dunn looks smarter and smarter everyday. I also think they need a different manager. Dusty is not where its at, they need to go after a younger manager who has some fire. ( a new piniella)

Buckwheat
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Props to Bruce...he did say the obvious but hes also a 21 year old who is the best position player on our team and we definitely need a leader. I agree that Bako and Patterson should not be playing. If your going to rebuild, unless you have a great CF and C (we don't) then their should be a kid playing their. The Patterson at center isn't too terrible but the fact that Bako is catching really angers me. Hes old, finished, done. Let Hanigan catch the rest of the games or some other kid. This team IS headed in the right direction and getting rid of Grif and Dunn looks smarter and smarter everyday. I also think they need a different manager. Dusty is not where its at, they need to go after a younger manager who has some fire. ( a new piniella)

Pretty sure that nod goes to Phillips and Votto.

RedsFan24
08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
hmmm, wonder how the "official" news that we got owings got by me hmmmmm mystery, i only heard rumors o well cant be everywhere all the time.

Has Votto said anythign to be considered a leader on this team? Yes he can and prolly does lead by example, not a bad thing. I think tho u should have both kinds of leaders the vocal and by example guys. I think Bruce will be the vocal leader with votto beng the lead by example guy who only speaks up when there really needs somehtin to be said.

Phillips is a good leader however i am not sure how great of a leader he really is after i read the comments that he was upset by the attention hamilton was gettin while he was here. I think the more leaders we have is only gonna make this team better. I think the future is lookin bright with our young guys wantin to win. I think this team will have some of the better leaders in the league with bruce, votto and phillips. all still have to improve their gameplay but things will only get better and they will grow into better players and leaders as time goes on

Buckwheat
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
hmmm, wonder how the "official" news that we got owings got by me hmmmmm mystery, i only heard rumors o well cant be everywhere all the time.

Has Votto said anythign to be considered a leader on this team? Yes he can and prolly does lead by example, not a bad thing. I think tho u should have both kinds of leaders the vocal and by example guys. I think Bruce will be the vocal leader with votto beng the lead by example guy who only speaks up when there really needs somehtin to be said.

Phillips is a good leader however i am not sure how great of a leader he really is after i read the comments that he was upset by the attention hamilton was gettin while he was here. I think the more leaders we have is only gonna make this team better. I think the future is lookin bright with our young guys wantin to win. I think this team will have some of the better leaders in the league with bruce, votto and phillips. all still have to improve their gameplay but things will only get better and they will grow into better players and leaders as time goes on

They might not be the leaders, but they are certainly better.. Who the hell knows. Paul Bako could be the leader for all we know. Leader doesn't equal best player, and best player doesn't equal leader

RedsFan24
08-25-2008, 04:45 PM
thats true the best player doesnt have to be the leader. However you do need leaders. I don really care who the leader is as long as they are keepin this team on the top of their game and have this team pushin for the playoffs next season.

jlohm1
08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I say Phillips is the leader. possibly team captain next season???

Kinsm
08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I say Phillips is the leader. possibly team captain next season???

NO, he might think of himself as a leader, but in no way has he earned the title team captain. This team doesn't have a captain, most teams don't nowadays.

RedsFan24
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
yea phillips isnt ready to be a captain at least not yet. The one thing i like bout baseball that football has is the captain thing. In baseball it is a lot harder to earn in football u automatically have to have them. Phillips very well may be the team leader in the next xouple of years but i don think he is ready yet