PDA

View Full Version : Could Roy be a combo point guard?

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Brandon Roy is the beaten and bruised floor general of the Blazers. Nobody else averages more assists. Nobody else has had as much surgery.
Wouldn't it be easier on his body to play at the point guard position? He would be at a speed disadvantage, but have a great size advantage. It would be easier for him to score against smaller players, too.
The position switch would also open up shooting guard for Martell Webster and Rudy Fernandez, or vise versa.
The Blazers are already headed towards a combo back court. Jerryd Bayless isn't a good enough distributor to be called a starting point guard anyway. Maybe Brandon at the combo point could work. What do you think?

JustBlaze07
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
it is a good idea but roy perfers to play the 2 instead of the 1

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
it is a good idea but roy perfers to play the 2 instead of the 1

Did you get to ask him how he felt? I would love to meet him; can you help me? For now, lets stick to basketball-related reasons why or why not Roy could be a combo guard.
It seems to me the only difference would be Roy guarding a smaller player. Once again, his speed disadvantage would hurt him on the break, but his size would make him more troublesome for point guards trying to slash or shoot.
Roy at point guard would also open the line-up for the glutton of shooting guards (Webster, Fernandez, Bayless) Portland posseses.

Westbrook36
08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I think hes better at Shooting Guard

SwaggaIke
08-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Roy is already a combo point. Every time I watch a Blazer game he facilitates the offense. That's why they were so confident bringing in Bayless. Bayless is a true scoring guard, but Roy is capable of running both the point and the 2.

blazers=future
08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
This is precisely why Bayliss will be a good fit.
Roy can bring the ball up the court and ignite the offence with Bayliss as an agressive wing player.
Bayliss will then be able to guard the opposing point guard, leaving Roy with the opposite two.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-23-2008, 04:05 AM
yeah i think roy should play the 2.