PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals for sale?

redbird89
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
There's been some speculation for a while. This is interesting, though:

With Detroit owner Mike Ilitch's disappointment in the Tigers, there is talk he could decide to cut this year's $138 million payroll to below $100 million, which could force a trade of OF Magglio Ordonez, who will make $18 million next year and has a $15 million potentially vesting option for 2010 and 2011. ... Pat Gillick may be set to retire in Philadelphia, but there's continued talk that he could be convinced to become team president — if not general manager — in Seattle, where he and his wife now make their home. ... In addition to the Cubs, teams that are expected to be available at the right price include St. Louis, Houston and Seattle. ... Speculation around the Nationals is vice president of baseball operations Mike Rizzo is set to replace Jim Bowden as general manager.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8470930/Cash-strapped-Dodgers-make-cheap-trades

Really I guess any team is for sale for the right price.

If the Cardinals are sold hopefully the new owner will be good for the team. I would assume the Cardinals would be a tempting buy. Over 3 million people each year at the stadium, and after this year, roughly $40 million could come off the payroll, giving a new owner financial flexibility.

BradJackson
08-21-2008, 07:03 PM
scary.

Kyle man
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
ut ohhhhhhhhh

timh9783
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
c'mon Mark Cuban

Kyle man
08-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I hate Mark Cuban... I could see our organization being a joke if he bought them.

Tkais9009
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah he would do nothing but yell at players and be a joke sitting outside the dugout. him and TLR would hate eachother

Vegasguy80
08-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I hate Mark Cuban... I could see our organization being a joke if he bought them.

Do you pay attention to anything? Do you understand what kind of businessman Mark Cuban is? Don't judge the guy as a person because that isn't what it is when it comes to sports. He is one of the best owners around. Even David Stern has admitted how great of a businessman and owner the guy is. He is very smart and understands how things work. If he buys the Cubs it would do wonders for that team. Same thing if he ever bought the Cardinals. It would be magical. It isn't going to happen but it would be great.

As for the Cards, that was just a brief mention. Hell, the A's have been "for sale" for years and are still there under the same owners. Redbird is right, ANYONE is for sale for the right price. I wouldn't look too far into this. I would like to go from small and middle market to a bigger spending team though.

Kyle man
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Do you pay attention to anything? Do you understand what kind of businessman Mark Cuban is? Don't judge the guy as a person because that isn't what it is when it comes to sports. He is one of the best owners around. Even David Stern has admitted how great of a businessman and owner the guy is. He is very smart and understands how things work. If he buys the Cubs it would do wonders for that team. Same thing if he ever bought the Cardinals. It would be magical. It isn't going to happen but it would be great.

As for the Cards, that was just a brief mention. Hell, the A's have been "for sale" for years and are still there under the same owners. Redbird is right, ANYONE is for sale for the right price. I wouldn't look too far into this. I would like to go from small and middle market to a bigger spending team though.

I honestly don't care how good of a businessman he is. I hate his personality too much.

rapjuicer06
08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
yea...i hate guys who just want to win...mark cuban is a schmuck. you guys are crazy. yea he might turn the cardinals into a buy buy buy team, but he'd also be shutting people up about not spending money, and we'd more than likely be in contention for the world series every single year

BradJackson
08-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Mark Cuban is a genius.

bottom line.

bpmd2k
08-22-2008, 04:52 AM
I have heard that the Dewitts have been looking to sell the Cards for a few years now. I really hope they do sell the team, they aren't good for the cardinals, especially with the self imposed salary cap and bull **** like that. The way that the St. Louis fans support the Cardinals, they deserve to have some owners that are willing to spend in accordance to the fan support.

I don't really think that Mark Cuban would hurt the Cardinals. He really cares about his team and is willing to do whatever it takes financially to put a winner on the court/field (in this case lol). Props to him for making all that money and loving sports.

redbird89
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't want someone who's going to spend over his head and plunge the team into debt either (not saying that Cuban would).

Shlumpledink
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Man I would love it with cuban here. Imagine how great this team would be if we spent money!