PDA

View Full Version : Al Thornton or Kevin Durant

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I believe Al Thornton was one of the most underrated players in last year's draft. After Elton Brand sat out with an injury, Thornton got to start and exploded onto the scene. He posted many games with over 20 points and 10 rebounds. He also scored 39 points in a game, while Kevin Durant managed 37 (without many rebounds).
Al Thornton is the only player other than Oden that could make me think twice about drafting Kevin Durant. So will he be worse, as good, or better than Kevin Durant?

Jay22Redd
08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Actually, KD scored 42 points and had 13 rebounds in that same game.

KD over Thornton all day.

PhxGiant
08-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah Al Thornton did very good, and he wasn't the go to guy unlike Durant. He was also surrounded by some better talent than Durant. Kaman,Thomas, Maggette, Mobley. So imagine if he was the go to guy.

hockeypro68
08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I agree with you that thornton is vastly underrated (along with the entire clippers team), although Durant is a baller, so I don't know if I'd say Thornton is better hands down. I think theyre similar in talent. Watch out for thornton next season though... given the fulltime starting role and 30+ minutes per game, I can see him averaging 15-20ppg easily.

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Kevin Durant did score more in one game; I'm sorry for not looking into the stats far enough. One game doesn't matter too much though. If Al Thornton was the only star on last year's LA Clippers, I think his stats would have been similar to Kevin Durant, except with more rebounds.

samxeyeam
08-21-2008, 06:23 PM
I seen Kevin Durant and the seattle "pick up ballers" play way too much last season... (From washington) I believe the other "AL" shoulda won rookie of the year... *Horford*... Durant either has alot of attempts or turns the ball over too much to get those points... Maybe like twice or 3 times where he actually had a efficient game... (Where he would shoot a high percentage shot and low TO's) I havent seen Al Thornton play so I cant comment on that...

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I seen Kevin Durant and the seattle "pick up ballers" play way too much last season... (From washington) I believe the other "AL" shoulda won rookie of the year... *Horford*... Durant either has alot of attempts or turns the ball over too much to get those points... Maybe like twice or 3 times where he actually had a efficient game... (Where he would shoot a high percentage shot and low TO's) I havent seen Al Thornton play so I cant comment on that...

No offense, but you hardly commented on one of the main parts of this thread. If you don't know anything about Al Thornton, this probably isn't the place for you to write.
You made a very good comment on Kevin Durant's inefficiency, though.

samxeyeam
08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
No offense, but you hardly commented on one of the main parts of this thread. If you don't know anything about Al Thornton, this probably isn't the place for you to write.
You made a very good comment on Kevin Durant's inefficiency, though.

I wanted to just throw that in there because I know alot of people overrate that poor fellow... Im not a Durant hater and he did a good job as a rookie but as a critic I will have to just say that... Looking forward to see Al Thornton play though due to hearing alot of great things about him...

krazyclipperfan
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Durant is a very young player he had alot of good games last season and you cant take anything from him individually he won rookie of the year. Thronton was 23 when he came in the league and moved his game from college to the pros. Thornton landed in the right place and the clippers expect great thing from him next year.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
KD>>>Al Thornton

dre1990
08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
i would pick al, i think he is more talented and will have a better carrer

BRADfromOZ
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Actually, KD scored 42 points and had 13 rebounds in that same game.
True but KD was the Sonics ONLY option on scoring. Al Thornton for me, he's nice and consistent.

DreamShaker
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Gotta laugh at this a bit....does anyone not realize how hard it is to be a 19 year old carrying a sorry team on the verge of moving cities?? Al Thornton is my age (25) and never had much expected out of him.....

fins08
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Kd.

superkegger
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Gotta laugh at this a bit....does anyone not realize how hard it is to be a 19 year old carrying a sorry team on the verge of moving cities?? Al Thornton is my age (25) and never had much expected out of him.....

agreed. KD will be a star once his body fills out and he can move to SF. No knock on Al Thornton, he's a beast no doubt. But 5 years down the road, KD will be the age Al is now, and Al with be 30.

mrblisterdundee
08-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Al Thornton had plenty expected of him, just like Al Horford. Did Kevin Durant help his team win back to back NCAA championships? No, that's right, he didn't. Are you saying the second best player on a back to back championship team doesn't have a lot expected of him?
Besides, Kevin Durant didn't do all that swell trying to carry the Sonics. I would even go as far to say that Al Thornton could have done it better if he was the only scoring option for Seattle. Kevin Durant scored 42, but Al Thornton scored 39 playing with others who could score like Maggete, Mobley, and Kaman. The fact that he's four years older isn't going to be the deciding factor in who's career is better.

Tha Truth
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
KD.

This kid has game.

futureheisman
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
durant no question

RapsFan4Life
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
right now it is impossible to tell, both need to hit the gym and improve their game and gain some muscel and work on their dribble penitration... very equal players but as of RIGHT NOW, KD is better because he is able to handle the pressure and coop with being the go to guy

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Kevin Durant anyday

midwestmadman
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I would go with Thornton but it would be a close call. Thornton has good range but he seemed to play a lot in the post and he didn't make as many mistakes (mainly because he didn't have the ball in his hands as much as Kevin Durant) FG% Thornton was better his shot selection was better, it tough to answer because they have different roles on their teams. If Thornton was asked to do it all I am sure his shot selection wouldn't be as great and I am sure a few more TOs would occur. The bottom line is they are both great young players. If you are asking me who I would rather build a team around I would say Durant, if you are asking me who I would add to get over the top in the future I'd say Thornton.

Cavs_Fan24
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
i think thornton's an amzing player, and is gonna be a great player. KD is the better player now, but in the future, he could surpass him. but in my opinion..

GOTTA BE KD!!:)

SwaggaIke
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Are we serious w/ this? Thornton was one of he worst rookies playing before the All Star break. He is a beast, but him and Durant aren't even in the same league. Durant 19 carrying a franchise...Thornton 24 playing a role in a franchise. He has some nice games and I love what he does on the court, but in 2 years...this will be a laughable question. Hell, i'm laughing at it now.

mrblisterdundee
08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Are we serious w/ this? Thornton was one of he worst rookies playing before the All Star break. He is a beast, but him and Durant aren't even in the same league. Durant 19 carrying a franchise...Thornton 24 playing a role in a franchise. He has some nice games and I love what he does on the court, but in 2 years...this will be a laughable question. Hell, i'm laughing at it now.

The only reason Thornton didn't do well the first half of the season is because he had no playing time behind Corey Magette and Elton Brand. Once he got playing time in the second half of the season, he proved he is a better post presence then Durant, regularly scoring as much and getting more rebounds.
Kevin Durant in no way carried the Supersonics. They were on the ground the whole season, so there was no carrying going on. If Al Thornton had been in the same situation in Seattle, he would have done just as well; possibly better.
Besides, Thornton comes from champions; Durant comes from failing one-man shows.

SwaggaIke
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
The only reason Thornton didn't do well the first half of the season is because he had no playing time behind Corey Magette and Elton Brand. Once he got playing time in the second half of the season, he proved he is a better post presence then Durant, regularly scoring as much and getting more rebounds.
Kevin Durant in no way carried the Supersonics. They were on the ground the whole season, so there was no carrying going on. If Al Thornton had been in the same situation in Seattle, he would have done just as well; possibly better.
Besides, Thornton comes from champions; Durant comes from failing one-man shows.

Champions like what? Florida State? The Clippers? Are we serious? I admitted that Thornton can ball, but he not ****in w/ Durant. All he does is rebound and post better than Durant for the simple fact that he is a 25 year old sophomore. Come on now. Thornton's ceiling isn't NEARLY as high as Durants and he's skills aren't as close to developed as Durant's and he's only 19. Of course Durant didn't carry the Sonics to anything significant, but a franchise was placed upon his shoulders at 19. And how the hell was Thornton playing behind Brand when Brand missed the entire season? Get your facts together, then debate.

JIDsanity
08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Kd35

Jay22Redd
08-22-2008, 07:12 PM
True but KD was the Sonics ONLY option on scoring. Al Thornton for me, he's nice and consistent.

Al Thornton isnt clutch like KD is though.

krazyclipperfan
08-22-2008, 07:30 PM
his age has nothing to do with it. plays still have come in the NBA late and still became great players. Dominique Wilkins was one of those player and him and Thontons games are very similar. Drant was drafted high for a reason he is a great scorer with lots of potental and can only get better. i wouldnt pick either because they both will be good players in three years.

bball1217
08-22-2008, 07:51 PM
KEVIN DURANT NO DOUBT!

Al Thornton will have a great career IMO, but is 24 now.

Kevin Durant is 19.

Al Thornton is a better rebounder, but Durant is a great scorer and can play solid Defense (I think Thornton can too.)

Durant has way more potential and will be 25 win Thornton is 30.

I will take Durant any day.

Beno7500
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Durant