PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'neal is Ready to Bring it this season (Take a look)

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Interesting article on Jermaine O'neal and his desire to prove everyone wrong this season. Here are some pieces of that article.

Article is also a part interview with Ian Thomsen.

Thomsen: You hear people say that you slowed down, that you don't have it anymore -- but you know that you still have it.
O'neal: All the naysayers who are saying that I lost a step, they'll get a full dosage of me next year.

If O'Neal can approach the form that made him a six-time All-Star, his trade to Toronto could prove to be the most significant offseason move in the East. True, Philadelphia signed free-agent power forward Elton Brand last month, but the 76ers still lack shooting and experience. The Raptors, on the other hand, are coming off two straight postseason appearances and retain All-Star power forward (not to mention U.S. Olympian) Chris Bosh, emerging point guard José Calderón and a slew of outside threats.

Since beginning his summer regimen on May 10 alongside scores of collegians who were preparing with Abunassar for the draft, O'Neal has strengthened his hamstrings and glutes to radically improve his jumping technique and take pressure off the left knee. (He plans to wear a brace next season to prevent hyperextensions, which can lead to painful bone bruises.) He has increased the strength of his torso and legs by doing crunches and balancing exercises while shedding 10 pounds to get down to his current weight of 260 -- no small thanks to nutritionist Tony Falce.

"Because he has type A blood, he stays away from red meat," says Falce. "No potatoes, no tomatoes, but he can have rice, egg whites, soybeans and broccoli."

"People who want it to be easy are people who haven't succeeded in life," he says. "Now I'm in a position where I can play pain-free -- and I'm two months away from training camp. It's going to really be scary."

In a good way, he means.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/08/19/jermaine0825/index.html

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/08/19/jermaine0825/t1_jermaine.jpg

Knicks845
08-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Very interesting if they could get bosh & Jermaine to work good down low look for they're shooters to have sky high fg% and 3pt% [Kapono,Calderon,Parker,Andrea] its going to be interesting this year...

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Very interesting if they could get bosh & Jermaine to work good down low look for they're shooters to have sky high fg% and 3pt% [Kapono,Calderon,Parker,Andrea] its going to be interesting this year...

Yeah that is the one major advantage Toronto has over a team like Philly, their guys can hit that 3pt shot from anywhere on the floor.. O'neal will only help spread the floor.. I think Kapono could be line for a career year.

RapsFan4Life
08-21-2008, 09:11 AM
GO RAPS GO
jermain and bosh and jose for the big three in the EAST

JordansBulls
08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Hopefully so. It will make the east more competitive.

_Sn1P3r_
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
That article sounded really good. Can't wait for the season to start. :jumpy:

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Hopefully so. It will make the east more competitive.

I think that's one of the best things here. The east needs to get stronger and compete with the west, these signing's/trades that the raps and sixers have made are a great start towards that.

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
That article sounded really good. Can't wait for the season to start. :jumpy:

much agreed...

ZHawk1123
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Interested to see how he does...

KeithLBC
08-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds like the same BS he says at the beginning of every season :p

At the beginning of the 06-07 season, when the Lakers were making a push for him, he said the same thing, then went on to play in 69 games, after only playing in 51 the year before.

I'll believe he's healthy when I see it :D

McJoe
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
im excited for this season now...if Jermaine and Bosh gel together well they will be able to spread the floor IMMENSELY for some big years from some 3-point shooters like Kapono, Parker, Bargnani, and Calderon who are gonna be knocking down 3 after 3 after 3...

a forgotten man is gonna be Moon...I hope he ends up leading the 2nd unit cause there wont be too much room to go inside on that first unit

rapswin98
08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Lets GO JO!:guns:
cant wait for the season to begin

Rapthug
08-21-2008, 02:06 PM

At the beginning of the 06-07 season, when the Lakers were making a push for him, he said the same thing, then went on to play in 69 games, after only playing in 51 the year before.

Holy cow,

Him playing 82 is not going to happen. I'll take 69 games no problem and I think most Raps fans will agree. Bosh misses 10-15 games a year anyways.

superkegger
08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not a raps fan, but I've long been a fan of JO. I love his game, and I hope he can return to his all star form. That would be exciting to see him and Bosh both playing at an All-star level.

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not a raps fan, but I've long been a fan of JO. I love his game, and I hope he can return to his all star form. That would be exciting to see him and Bosh both playing at an All-star level.

agreed, It would be the best front court in basketball. Bosh and O'neal could offer so many great looks for themselves and teammates plus mismatches for defenders. Much agreed Kegger.

Jay22Redd
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Lets just see how he plays

Mile High Champ
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I would rather get excited about what he has done to get ready for the season..

Chronz
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
God I hope so, having Jermaine healthy would give the Raps the best bigman tandem in the league. I love twin tower teams

FromDallas
08-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Ready to bring it? He must be talking about his wheel chair.

superkegger
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Ready to bring it? He must be talking about his wheel chair.

good one. you come up with that on your own? :rolleyes:

Tha Truth
08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Let`s see what JO can do playing on two feet.

stevefrancis
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
kwame brown is the most under rated player in nba history.

Iodine
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM

This

Lakersfan2483
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
He has to play a full season first before we can make a judgement, he's injured every year.

Tha Truth
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
kwame brown is the most under rated player in nba history.

LOL.

That`s funny.

KeithLBC
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
This

This???? Are you agreeing with me :p :confused:

Iodine
08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
This???? Are you agreeing with me :p :confused:
Yes

As hard it is to believe I am actually agreeing with someone on PSD :sigh:

Mile High Champ
08-22-2008, 09:11 AM
good one. you come up with that on your own? :rolleyes:

hahah people don't seem to understand that O'neal had simple surgery, its not like he had a whole knee replaced or something. Cant wait to for him to prove these uninformed PSD users wrong.

SensandRaps
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
if and thats a big if o'neal is healthy then the raps are going to surprise a lot of people

dick butane
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
JO is a better addition in Toronto then Brand is in Philly.

Tha Truth
08-22-2008, 02:20 PM
The opening game between Toronto and Philly is going to be intense.

futureheisman
08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
well see

Storch
08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
It's going to be so hard to guard the 3 point shooters in this team. I'm excited to watch them play.

superkegger
08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
The opening game between Toronto and Philly is going to be intense.

They open vs. each other. I didn't know that. Oooooh. it should be a fun game.

IndyRealist
08-22-2008, 10:20 PM
The issue will be Jermaine's knee. The same knee that's been injured three times in three seasons. If he remains healthy then hopefully he can mesh well with Bosh, they have very similar play styles.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-23-2008, 12:01 AM
i think he can still play at a high level

Goon.Weezy
08-23-2008, 12:17 AM
if kapono starts this season, its going to be raining treys.........bosh and oneal in the post.............kapono, parker, calderon.... around the arc.......its over.....its over ladies and gentleman

Neely
08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
I like Jermaine O'Neal and the Toronto Raptors. Hope things work out well for them.

lakerfan4life1
08-23-2008, 01:08 AM
well i hope Jo does well in toronto i cant wait 2 see them play the lakers that ticket is all ways worth the money. Bosh and Oneal vs Bynum and Gasol lol we already know who will win but everytime these 2 teams play something magical allways happen and Kobe loves playin against Toronto.

Tha Truth
08-23-2008, 01:19 AM
well i hope Jo does well in toronto i cant wait 2 see them play the lakers that ticket is all ways worth the money. Bosh and Oneal vs Bynum and Gasol lol we already know who will win but everytime these 2 teams play something magical allways happen and Kobe loves playin against Toronto.

Seems like Kobe always but up big numbers against the Raptors.

A lot of players do.

Maybe that will change this season since they are suppose to be a better defensive team.

Mile High Champ
08-26-2008, 10:41 AM
I wonder if the lakers and raps play this year at the acc..

torontosports10
08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
They do every year. The Raps play every West team once at home and once on the road im pretty sure.

Remember when Kobe says he tries extra hard against the Raps in Toronto cause he only gets to play in Canada once a year and wants to put on a show.

SeoulBeatz
08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
JO is a better addition in Toronto then Brand is in Philly.

**** outa here man.

kuppz
08-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Buddy who's Elton Brand Jermain eats his food

mariotubes
08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
cant wait for the season to start...

Raps&ViksFAN
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Boston might have the big three but he got the B.O.B brothers and even if u don't want to count for brags in it he still have the new twin towers and just to add CB4 and JO will probably each miss ten games

CowboysKB24
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Toronto could definitely be a big threat next year for the East. If the Sixers and Raptors turn it up this year the East could be even more interesting than the West.

Raidaz4Life
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
The only thing Jermaine will be bringing this year is a warm bench

nbafan19
08-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Man if J.O. plays at his All-Star Level the Raptors should contend for the East. Especially, Chris Bosh just winning his Gold Medal at the Olympics it should boost his confidence level high. Oh yeah, Don't forget about Andrea Bargnani. He was drafted number 1 and Bryan Colangelo still has a lot of confidence in him.

LA_Raiders
08-27-2008, 12:58 AM
About time...

Lakers vs Raptors in the Finals...not bad...

KeithLBC
01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I know this is no better than "Raps 08-09 Champs" bringing up the Dirk thread and that JB will probably lock this. I thought that this thread needed to be brought back up to remind some of the Toronto fans how ridiculous they sounded at the beginning of the year.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I know this is no better than "Raps 08-09 Champs" bringing up the Dirk thread and that JB will probably lock this. I thought that this thread needed to be brought back up to remind some of the Toronto fans how ridiculous they sounded at the beginning of the year.

lol

im getting my name around

Raidaz4Life
01-31-2009, 03:26 PM

looks like I was right.... the guy is one of the most overrated/overpaid players in the league.... and to think people were once willing to give up Bynum to put this guy in a Lakers uniform:pity:

JermanJaysFan
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
looks like I was right.... the guy is one of the most overrated/overpaid players in the league.... and to think people were once willing to give up Bynum to put this guy in a Lakers uniform:pity:

Guy hasn't been nearly as bad as hes looked- shown flashes of brilliance, and brought the post D we wanted. He put out team on his back last night down the stretch.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
About time...

Lakers vs Raptors in the Finals...not bad...

lol

Raidaz4Life
01-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Guy hasn't been nearly as bad as hes looked- shown flashes of brilliance, and brought the post D we wanted. He put out team on his back last night down the stretch.

my beef with Jermaine has always been his horrid FG% even when he does put up the numbers he doesn't do it efficiently. I will agree he actually is an above average defender but he never maintained an all star level at both ends of the floor that teams needed from him.

Drtino
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM

:D

Took the words out of my mouth...

Knowledge
01-31-2009, 04:10 PM
To me its seems like the bigs for Toronto have played pretty well. If anything has disappointed them it is their guards. No real threat from the SG position and Calderon seems to need a backup who can take some of the minutes he plays. They need some one who can attack the the lane consistently. Thats just my far away opinion.

kvrnm
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM

haha, agreed... i tried to tell them this a couple weeks ago... wish i would have been able to find this thread.. nice job

still1ballin
01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Didn't JO say this before or something?

Chronz
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Is Jermaine done or are he and Bosh such a bad combination?

Morgan
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Is Jermaine done or are he and Bosh such a bad combination?

He's done. Too many injuries. He'll never be the player he was a few years ago. It's kinda sad really.

3lite-Raptors
01-31-2009, 05:49 PM
i think hes still got it just the wrong comibination of bosh and oneal

Raps18-19 Champ
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM

not me though. I said they were gonna be 5-8 which was realistic at the time

JordansBulls
01-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Good bump.

JermanJaysFan
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
He's done. Too many injuries. He'll never be the player he was a few years ago. It's kinda sad really.

These statements are asynchronous. Sure, he won't be the player he was a few years ago, and won't put up 20-10-2.5 numbers on a season anymore, but by no means at all is he done. He doesn't have the lift he used to in his legs, but he can still be an imposing defensive and rebounding presence, he can be a great leader, and is still liable to go off for big scoring nights now and then.

For example- last night JO had 16 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals as well as a few good, hard fouls. He led our team down the stretch when everyone was struggling. When healthy, he can continue to bring that kind of production and leadership. He had a run of games in December that looked like this: 19 and 7 with 3 blocks and a steal, 24 and 10 with a block, 23 and 9 with 2 blocks and 3 steals, 36 and 9 with 2 blocks and 3 steals.

The guy can still bring it.

wwwhat
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
If JO would stop benching/curling and doing other worthless gym exercises for NBA players he might be better. I read an article about it somewhere, about how every once in a while he needs to do that so he can feel like he's a big dude. All that does is lead to shoulder problems and taking away time from necessary torso/leg exercises.