PDA

View Full Version : Buchholz demoted to Double-A Portland

gosawks
08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Buchholz was demoted after, oh, about his eighth debachle to Portland... curious to see who they are calling up. Although word is Wakefield could return soon so with Byrd in our rotation and Wakefield returning that could be the answer.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080820&content_id=3339669&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Praise the lord.

gosawks
08-21-2008, 12:32 AM
well put.

-Lavigne43-
08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
I would love to see Bowden make a spot start but I doubt they do that

Lord Byron 34
08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Long overdue!

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Buchholz was demoted after, oh, about his eighth debachle to Portland... curious to see who they are calling up. Although word is Wakefield could return soon so with Byrd in our rotation and Wakefield returning that could be the answer.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080820&content_id=3339669&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

It's about time. I was reading a stat earlier that was pretty amazing..

The Red Sox are 3-12 in his 15 starts, and 70-42 when anyone else starts.

It's safe to say he is the main reason we are 4.5 behind the rays at this point. The Sox better not think to bring him back up this year. I've been hearing Jason Lane & Kyle Snyder's name come sept. 1st.

Sabres39
08-21-2008, 12:46 AM
My, how the mighty have fallen. Buchholz and Hughes seem to be pretty similar now, one almost threw a no-hitter in his second start, and the other did. Both have struggled this year, Hughes mainly because of injury, but nonetheless, struggled.

Hopefully both of our star pitching prospects can turn it around!

gosawks
08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
i'd take snyder right now... he at least got us to, or somewhat close to 5 innings.

TheKid
08-21-2008, 02:17 AM
i think we might have been putting to much expectations on clay to soon in his career. It sounds like what he needs is some good ole fashion confidence boosting in AA. good luck clay, see you in spring training!

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-21-2008, 02:34 AM
about time... Give David Pauley another shot.

Nickday
08-21-2008, 02:47 AM
he's only being sent down to aa so he can be with a coach, not because that's his pitching level

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-21-2008, 02:52 AM
"Take this for what it’s worth, Sox fans: In the extensive history of your beloved ball club, no pitcher with at least 10 decisions has ever finished a season with a worse winning percentage (2-9, .182) while simultaneously posting such a stratospheric ERA (6.75) than those registered by Buchholz in 2008."

-from Boston Herald article. That is insane

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 06:27 AM
"Take this for what itís worth, Sox fans: In the extensive history of your beloved ball club, no pitcher with at least 10 decisions has ever finished a season with a worse winning percentage (2-9, .182) while simultaneously posting such a stratospheric ERA (6.75) than those registered by Buchholz in 2008."

-from Boston Herald article. That is insane

I'm actually surprised that his ERA isn't higher.

Snipeshow
08-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Took long enough...

sboyajian
08-21-2008, 06:40 AM
It's about time. I was reading a stat earlier that was pretty amazing..

The Red Sox are 3-12 in his 15 starts, and 70-42 when anyone else starts.

It's safe to say he is the main reason we are 4.5 behind the rays at this point. The Sox better not think to bring him back up this year. I've been hearing Jason Lane & Kyle Snyder's name come sept. 1st.

He certainly didn't help us to catch up, but that is a bold statement (no pun intended).. he isn't the only reason.

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 06:44 AM
He certainly didn't help us to catch up, but that is a bold statement (no pun intended).. he isn't the only reason.

No, I know he isn't the only reason. But he perhaps is one of the main reasons.

vredsox
08-21-2008, 08:01 AM
This guy is killing us. sure he has alot of upside, but one no hitter does not make a career. theo/tito needs to think about putting masterson back in the rotation, he gave us quality starts...clay, enjoy portland and good riddens..:clap::clap::clap:

RedSoxtober
08-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Even he knew, as he walked off the mound, as he walked out of the major leagues (for now), what his fate would be. There was little else to do, little leeway, on a team for which every win is precious.
related content

Clay Buchholz could have looked at the scoreboard and seen the three runs already in on his watch, with two more soon to follow, and realized that all this - the big league parks and the pressure of a season nearing its end - would no longer be his.

Not long after the Red Sox finished up an 11-6 loss to the Orioles last night in front of 33,364, a game so bad that infielder Alex Cora warmed up in the bullpen, Buchholz was called in to talk to manager Terry Francona. He would be sent down - not to Triple A - to Double A. There a pitching coach waits, one who - the organization hopes - can straighten out a pitcher who seems to have no answers this season.

Buchholz will head to Portland after his seventh loss in his last nine outings. He will work with Sea Dogs pitching coach Mike Cather, who has tutored Buchholz at Single A Wilmington and Double A Portland. Cather, more than anyone else in the organization, knows Buchholz's stuff, and what it might take for him to return to being the pitcher he was last year, the pitcher he's been throughout his young career.

More from the Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/21/sox_demote_buchholz_after_another_pummeling/).

Towelie
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM

oh, you have got to be kidding me.

I would also like to say that although he's been bad in the majors he's still ranked as our No.1 Prospect and you need to have some patients with this guy. Were not going to trade him so shut up about it. He's untouchable. What if we traded Lester last year? Get over it people.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
oh, you have got to be kidding me.

I would also like to say that although he's been bad in the majors he's still ranked as our No.1 Prospect and you need to have some patients with this guy. Were not going to trade him so shut up about it. He's untouchable. What if we traded Lester last year? Get over it people.
Some people only care to think about today and yesterday.

You'd think after how well Lester has turned out (Since we stuck with him), that people would give Clay some leeway. But this is Boston, and people aren't going to allow someone young to struggle.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Ya, I don't get the sense of panic in this forum. I'm looking at another month of baseball about 30 games or so. 4.5 games, and .5 game leads are nothing right now. The keys to our success and getting to the playoffs is the series vs the Rays and series vs the Twins. The one nice thing about the twins they kinda fall apart in the final stretch, hopefully the same will happen this year.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't forget, we still have some games with the Yankees.

This thing isn't over. I don't place the blame on Buchholz for anything, really. He's been awful yes, but we've been so hot/cold this year that you can blame the entire team.

We're going to need to play some good baseball this final month plus if we want to make it back to the Playoffs.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't blame Buchholz, is it his fault he's not making pitches? Yes. Is it his fault Tito and the FO continues to throw him out there? Obviously no. He need to work out somethings right now, and the majors in the middle of a playoffs race isn't the place to do it.

bagwell368
08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Since '04 and esp '07 I have become a very patient Red Sox fan, not prone to pushing people out of the building unless its for a real good reason.

Bucholz reminds me very much of Bo Belinksy. He threw a no no, he had filthy stuff, but he couldn't stay away from the party and the dames. Clay, don't be Bo, don't be a footnoote. Take this opportunity to turn it around and be the player you can be.

Quote from Wiki:

The 1962 season was a raucous one for Belinsky in that he became glittering copy for southern California sportswriters with his wit and unapologetic womanizing. "Within days of his no-hitter Belinsky would be heralded as sport's most original and engaging playboy-athlete," pitcher-turned-journalist Pat Jordan wrote in a striking 1971 Sports Illustrated profile. "His name would become synonymous with a lifestyle that was cool and slick and dazzling . . . But in time the name Belinsky would become synonymous with something else. It would become synonymous with dissipated talent."

A nation turns its eyes to you - what's it gonna be Clay? You could be great you know....

76YazwSideburns
08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Clay shouldn't pitch in the bigs again this year.

Let's look to '09 with the hope that he can get his head together and regain confidence. His stuff is great, I think his confidence is shot and his head a total mess.

gosawks
08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Agreed. I don't like the panic that people are going through saying we should trade him... I just don't want him pitching in such a tight race right now. He's still got great raw stuff, he just needs to harness it. I admit that it's alot easier saying this all now when he isn't pitching for us every fifth day, but he just needs to get some confidence and figure somet things out. I read an artice (forgot where now... maybe the Red Sox site) that exemplified some of the reasons he is still raw.

With a 4-0 lead, he shook off the catcher all the way to a 3-1 changeup which was not close to the zone and gave up a walk. He may not be making all his pitches, but at least this is an example of something a pitching coach can help him with. Seems that also he just isn't confident in his fastball like he used to be. I know he doesn't throw in the upper 90's, but with the huge breaking ball and the differential of speeds with his changeup, it can still be effective.

cocossox
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
thank god imo this should've been done 4 starts ago...how can ya heep running a guy out there when ya know ya got not a chance in hell of winning the game every time he pitches...c ya :clap:

yaowowrocket11
08-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Great. He needs to improve, since he can't take the big league spotlight at this point in his career.

Do we see Masterson making a start? Pauley? Hansack? Bowden?

JacobyIsMyHomie
08-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Again for all the people who are just putting this off as fans panicking... The Red Sox are 3-12 in his 15 starts, and 70-42 when anyone else starts. Do you really want that for the rest of the season in such a tight race. You are all just blindly hoping for another Lester situation to play out. Am I saying it can't be done? No, I think Clay has great stuff but he is not going to figure it out in the majors this year so we might as well help both him and the team and get him out of the rotation.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Again for all the people who are just putting this off as fans panicking... The Red Sox are 3-12 in his 15 starts, and 70-42 when anyone else starts. Do you really want that for the rest of the season in such a tight race. You are all just blindly hoping for another Lester situation to play out. Am I saying it can't be done? No, I think Clay has great stuff but he is not going to figure it out in the majors this year so we might as well help both him and the team and get him out of the rotation.
No one is saying they want Clay up here. Everyone agrees he's been brutal this season.

But there are those that are writing Clay off as a complete bust at age 24 - Saying that we need to trade him. The same people were probably on the bandwagon for trading Lester, too.

Again, no one is suggesting that Clay stays at the ML level right now, but those that are giving up on him are being completely silly.

coltsfan11
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I think that the Red Sox really needed to do this not just for the team but for Bucholz himself. He's been pitching really badly the last few games, and you don't want a pitcher to get down on himself. I hope that he can turn his year around in Double-A and then work his way back up into the big leagues.

futureheisman
08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
it was about time

Red_Sox_89
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
If he'd simply pitch .500, and be say... 8-8 right now, the Red Sox would be in first place :(

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 09:59 PM
If he'd simply pitch .500, and be say... 8-8 right now, the Red Sox would be in first place :(
But the same could be said for someone like Beckett.

If he could have had a GREAT season instead of an AVERAGE season, we'd also probably be in 1st.

Why place the blame on one person?

gosawks
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
if matsuzaka wouldn't have gotten out of all those jams he's gotten out of, and were 9-8 instead of 15-2, it would do the same thing.

agreed with tragedy. it's not one person... the 3-12 stats in buchholz's starts was pretty amazing, but we have more than one pitcher. he just happened to be doing the worst and was still in the rotation so he easily served as everyone's scapegoat.

Red_Sox_89
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
But the same could be said for someone like Beckett.

If he could have had a GREAT season instead of an AVERAGE season, we'd also probably be in 1st.

Why place the blame on one person?

Cuz Beckett is 11-9, quite a difference there.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM

such a terrible mentality. It can be said about our BP, or errors we made. If we beat the Rays when we faced them we would be in first place. would of, could of, should of, But didn't! and thats that.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Cuz Beckett is 11-9, quite a difference there.

so why wouldn't he be 16-4, then we would be in first place. It's a dumb mentality.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 11:15 PM
so why wouldn't he be 16-4, then we would be in first place. It's a dumb mentality.
Exactly.

Red_Sox_89
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM

I'm just saying it sucks, cuz he had a lot of potential last season, and he lost it. I know there's a lot of factors that go in to us not being in first place, but I thought he would be a lot better this season

kazzy4080
08-22-2008, 12:13 AM

hes a rookie 5th starter, relax hes gonna go through growing pains

Sportfan
08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
i think colon is going to be called up.

ccspence8
08-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Could it get any worse. Bring up Bowden to start for a game or two. If not bring up Snyder. I don't even know why he wasn't on the roster all year. He pitched like Aardsma for us last year.

RedSoxtober
08-22-2008, 02:51 PM
i think colon is going to be called up.

Not likely. He had a nice outing yesterday but still only went 4IP and topped out at 90MPH. He wouldn't last long enough if he were to get recalled right now.

Wake's Fastball
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Could it get any worse. Bring up Bowden to start for a game or two. If not bring up Snyder. I don't even know why he wasn't on the roster all year. He pitched like Aardsma for us last year.

Snyder doesn't really add anything other than a mop-up guy to the pen, which, hopefully, isn't something we need much of. He had a great first half of the season last year, but was entirely unreliable in the second half, and for most of his career, he's been a completely hittable pitcher who gets outs by throwing strikes, as opposed to Aardsma, who's more of a power pitcher that tends to get beat with walks more than anything. I'd expect to see Snyder come up in September to clean up a game or two, but at this point, I don't think he offers anything terribly useful to what you'd hope for out of a "stretch-run" bullpen.

Red_Sox_89
08-23-2008, 09:21 AM
hes a rookie 5th starter, relax hes gonna go through growing pains

Oh, I know. And some double A time will be good for him to get back to the basics, fix his problems, and come back to pitch well in the big's

lil'papi
08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Buchholz went from untouchable to touchable. BUT, it must be the right set of circumstances and a need.

I don't get one bit the Lester comparison? Lester was NEVER this bad and had cancer. Lester's makeup was NEVER questioned. If you a referring to Lester turning it around that is. We know why he turned it around it had nothing to do with between his ears. It had everything to do with his makeup. His getting stronger and more innings to do so.

Buchholz said after the Chisox debacle they hit his best pitches. BS.....if he looks at tape he would never have said that! That's just one thing that made my ears perk up.

I am NOT giving up on him or advocating a trade either. In fact this might have been a blessing he got roughed up, time will tell.

I know when a tough minded pitcher with solid makeup gets bombed he goes inside and at guys. Makes them change their thinking about hanging over the plate he NEVER did that. Plunking guys has a purpose.

he folded and that's not good........

He also was stellar in the minors and can easily get it back. If he shines the last month down there his value is still solid.