PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt Masterson being used more?

futureheisman
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
This Baffles with the struggles of MDC and company. Look at the numbers

Justin Masterson 2008 STATS
4-3 3.34 ERA 70IP 53 hits allowed 57 K's BAA .210 1.19 WHIP

opposing lefties:.236 BA

opposing righties:.184 BA

Look at the other members of the bullpen

MDC 0-2 4.44 ERA .234 BA 1.27 WHIP

aardsma 3-2 3.83 ERA .244 BA 1.63 whip

Timilin 4-3 5.35 ERA .294 BA 1.53 Whip

okijima 3-2 3.02 ERA .245 BA 1.36 whip

Lopez 2-0 2.53 ERA .253 BA 1.29 whip Lefties BA:.202

Papeblon Enough said

Take a look at the whips of our setup man. way too high and based on these numbers: You should use aardsma MDC and timlin in less important situations.

Are primary guys should be Materson Lopez Okijima and papelbon

i think you would go a long way in doing getting this mess figured out

What do you guys think and why isnt materson being used more

The Intimidator
08-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Quite simply, I think that Tito is reluctant to just throw the kid into the fire. As he continues to prove himself, he will become counted on more.

PapelbonLester
08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
simple answer.......we need him and we dont want him to get "dead arm" in september and october

Crucis
08-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that you're right on the mark, PapLester.

Masterson is a youngster, proably with a relatively projected innings count for this season. I doubt that he'll come all that close to it since he's been in the pen for a while. However, I can appreciate that the team is trying to be careful with him, particularly if they hope to have him for September and October.

gosawks
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah... I'd definitely like them to use him more because I like the way he throws, but at the same time I don't want him to be ruined. He could have a pretty nice career. Catch 22.

TheKid
08-21-2008, 02:09 AM
i'm hoping that it's just that we are saving him for the playoffs, but don't you think we need to worry about getting to the playoffs before we worry about how we'll be during them?

Shaiza
08-21-2008, 02:19 AM
This kid could surprise teams in the playoffs considering we'll make it.

TheKid
08-21-2008, 02:24 AM
This kid could surprise teams in the playoffs considering we'll make it.

do you mean "assuming" we make it?

or did you mean that we "make" the playoffs? lol

all kidding aside you're right we should surprise some ppl in the playoffs

sboyajian
08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Timlin's numbers are a bit bloated because of a shaky start and two games where he got rocked out for 4 ER's each.

In his last 13 games he has 13.2 IP, a 2.63 ERA (4 ER's), 1 Walk, and a .245 BAA.

Those are respectable numbers..

In fact... better than Lopez who you mentioned should be one of the constantly gone to guys..

Last 14 games, 5 ERs, 3.75 ERA, 4 Walks, .273 BAA

RedSoxtober
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Take a look at the whips of our setup man. way too high and based on these numbers: You should use aardsma MDC and timlin in less important situations.

Are primary guys should be Materson Lopez Okijima and papelbon

Interesting. You begin by saying we should be worried about MR/SU whip and then claim that our primary guys should include Oki (1.36 whip) instead of MDC (1.27).

I don't disagree with MDC pitching only meaningless innings, but not based on the way you're claiming to analyze it. I think Delcarmen just does not pitch well in pressure situations. He coaxes you into confidence by pitching dominant innings in low pressure, non-hold/save situations, then falls apart when his role is increased.

simple answer.......we need him and we dont want him to get "dead arm" in september and october

This is not even on the map. He threw 154 innings last year and should/would have been on pace for 170 this season. Including his time in the minors he's thrown only 117. He could start for the rest of the season and barely be a concern for burning his arm out, let alone throw out of the pen.

futureheisman
08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
we need to worry about making it first. He needs to be used a lot more than he is being used. lets call up bowden lets see what he can do b/c after last night with aarsamada and lopezanyone can do that.

lil'papi
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Interesting. You begin by saying we should be worried about MR/SU whip and then claim that our primary guys should include Oki (1.36 whip) instead of MDC (1.27).

I don't disagree with MDC pitching only meaningless innings, but not based on the way you're claiming to analyze it. I think Delcarmen just does not pitch well in pressure situations. He coaxes you into confidence by pitching dominant innings in low pressure, non-hold/save situations, then falls apart when his role is increased.

[QUOTE]This is not even on the map. He threw 154 innings last year and should/would have been on pace for 170 this season. Including his time in the minors he's thrown only 117. He could start for the rest of the season and barely be a concern for burning his arm out, let alone throw out of the pen.

He is being monitored he has to get up and down to throw constantly. Before he was routined big difference. That said he seems to be proving himself worthy.

I'm sure more meaningful innings are coming his way. Farrell loves the kid. They are though protecting him short term. Not because of innings because of the rigors of throwing-sitting-throwing.
Farrell touched on it last night.

Another kid I loved. Hard in, hard away......throws hard. Big kid and will only get better and better. Right now untouchable! period......

Lester, Masterson are now untouchable. (duh)

gcoll
08-23-2008, 06:29 AM
I think they're gonna use him in the 7th a bit over the next week or so, but by the end of the season Oki/MDC will be pitching the 7th, and Masterson will be pitching the 8th.