PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather build your team around?

23LBJCleBrowns
08-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Who would you rather build your team around?

Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Dwayne Wade
LeBron James

What do you guys think?

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Lebron James

As long as you surround him with solid players like the Cavs did, he can carry you to the playoffs. If you get a couple good options for him, he can carry you to a Championship win.

fairandbalanced
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll go with Wade because he has proven to be a winner. One thing he has that the others dream for Finals MVP. Nuf said

lincecum=future
08-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Give me Dwight Howard.

superkegger
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I say Lebron for two reasons. The first is that he's proven he can carry a garbage team to the finals, the second is that he's a cash cow. He more than anyone guaruntees butts in seats as well as advertisings etc...and at 23 he's got many years ahead of him in which a team can capitalize on that.

23LBJCleBrowns
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll go with Wade because he has proven to be a winner. One thing he has that the others dream for Finals MVP. Nuf said

dwayne wade barely won last year.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:05 PM

well, in a dream world, LeBron would have fallen to the Heat, so he could have Shaq as his center.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I say Lebron for two reasons. The first is that he's proven he can carry a garbage team to the finals, the second is that he's a cash cow. He more than anyone guaruntees butts in seats as well as advertisings etc...and at 23 he's got many years ahead of him in which a team can capitalize on that.

great points. Sometimes fans forget about how a player can affect a franchise financially.

ugafan
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Lebron, I didn't even have to think about it.

MGB
08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
LeBron, it's not even close... but check back in a couple years and the correct answer may be Dwight Howard.

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Dwyane Wade
Finals MVP, Already has 1 ring :up:
You got a winner right there

ugafan
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Dwyane Wade

Homer

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Homer

don't give me that homer crap

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Dwyane Wade

his team was 15-67 last year. He played with Shaq before his decline. Teams win championships, not players. That being said, LeBron is a better individual player. He just never had the firepower Wade had that one year.

ugafan
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Why not?

The other 3 are arguably better options, Lebron and Kobe for sure. A ring means nothing when you had one of the most dominant centers of all-time on your team.

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
his team was 15-67 last year. He played with Shaq before his decline. Teams win championships, not players. That being said, LeBron is a better individual player. He just never had the firepower Wade had that one year.

okay picture you in the situation
image you are injured your like 70% and had a shoulder and knee injury
and had a Dleague team what would be your team's record?, Im not saying Wade is better than Lebron im just saying i would rather built my team around Wade

Burkey3472
08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Lebron, no contest

superkegger
08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Why not?

The other 3 are arguably better options, Lebron and Kobe for sure. A ring means nothing when you had one of the most dominant centers of all-time on your team.

So Kobe's 3 rings don't matter? And none of Magic's rings mean anything either? And I guess we can throw 2 of TD's rings out as well...:rolleyes:

harris2carter
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Dwayne wade and im not being a hummer lebron is a ball hog and dwayne is not and dwayne wade is clutch oh and look who was a ring

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
okay picture you in the situation
image you are injured your like 70% and had a shoulder and knee injury
and had a Dleague team what would be your team's record?, Im not saying Wade is better than Lebron im just saying i would rather built my team around Wade

and that is cool, your opinion. Imagine building around a player who hasn't missed 62 games in the last two years. Wade needs to show that he isn't Grant Hill before I take him over LeBron, who brought a bunch of D leaguers to the finals.

harris2carter
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Why not?

Shaq was on the decline and wade chase some kinda swagger about the way he plays and in this league a ring means everything

downsos
08-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Lebron cuz he's (A)Proven to take a bad team to the finals.(edge on Howard)(B)Young(edge on Kobe).(C)Not injury prone.(edge on Wade)

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Dwayne wade and im not being a hummer lebron is a ball hog and dwayne is not and dwayne wade is clutch oh and look who was a ring

I know, holy crap, Shaq won his 4th ring!!!! Guys, stop talking about the ring. Is Kurt Rambis better than Karl Malone? Wade had firepower around him. LeBron never did. Get over it.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Shaq was on the decline and wade chase some kinda swagger about the way he plays and in this league a ring means everything

I bet a lot of guys wished they could get Shaq on the decline that year when he went for 20-9, and the other teams defense was still projecting and entire team defensive game plan to stop him, option #1. Wade is an awesome player. My point it, if Lebron had the same scenario that year, there is no way he wouldn't be wearing that ring.

harris2carter
08-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I know, holy crap, Shaq won his 4th ring!!!! Guys, stop talking about the ring. Is Kurt Rambis better than Karl Malone? Wade had firepower around him. LeBron never did. Get over it.

all the great players always say that the ring is the most important thing why do u play the game to win come on rings r important but it dont relay matter cuz in 2011 lebron is gonna win a ring with the nets

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Lebron cuz he's (A)Proven to take a bad team to the finals.(edge on Howard)(B)Young(edge on Kobe).(C)Not injury prone.(edge on Wade)
Is funny how people call Wade injury prone when he only had 1 major injury :pity:

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
all the great players always say that the ring is the most important thing why do u play the game to win come on rings r important but it dont relay matter cuz in 2011 lebron is gonna win a ring with the nets

I agree, it should be the pinnacle to a player. My point is, rings don't always define who is better than whom. THose who are never fortunate enough to have the talent around them to win, or play in an era where you were sh@t out of luck, ie, anyone in the 90's except the Rockets, should not be knocked down just because they didn't win a ring. Are Marino, Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Mattingly, etc. not total studs, just because it didn't come together?

harris2carter
08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
ur rite off topic thats a really nice pic of jessica alba miami heat

bogdanrom
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Lebron because he has the talent advantage over Wade and Dwight, he's young, that takes out Kobe, plus he sells a lot of tickets and merchandise.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Is funny how people call Wade injury prone when he only had 1 major injury :pity:

he has missed 62 games in the last two seasons. KG has missed 36 games in his career. Iverson has missed 113 games in 12 seasons, and he plays similar. Wade had missed 95 games in 5 seasons. That would translate to around 210 games missed over 12, and Iverson played the same way, attacking with reckless abandon, only he is 6', 160 lbs. That would be a season and a half more that Wade would miss. Wade IS injury prone. He can always prove otherwise. He looks great in Beijing. He needs to man up and show it.

superkegger
08-20-2008, 07:57 PM
he has missed 62 games in the last two seasons. KG has missed 36 games in his career. Iverson has missed 113 games in 12 seasons, and he plays similar. Wade had missed 95 games in 5 seasons. That would translate to around 210 games missed over 12, and Iverson played the same way, attacking with reckless abandon, only he is 6', 160 lbs. That would be a season and a half more that Wade would miss. Wade IS injury prone. He can always prove otherwise. He looks great in Beijing. He needs to man up and show it.

It's not a matter of manning up. I agree he's injury prone, but its not because hes less of a man or anything, its just how it goes. It's not really completely in his control if he gets injured or not. Could he play through it some of the time, probably. But sometimes its not worth it.

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
ur rite off topic thats a really nice pic of jessica alba miami heat

Thank you :up:,
and Wade still young he can develop those jumpers and drive less to the basket and risk less being injured, but that was a major injury took a lot to recover he did come back and try playing through the pain but simple couldn't do it but he still put up allstar numbers while being injured, but im glad he shut down for the season now he's back that's all that matters, he will prove he isnt injury prone

974life
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Hands down Kobe bryant.

knicks1214
08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Lebron took the Cavs to the finals singlehandedly...enough said.

_Sn1P3r_
08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
LeBron. Just surround him with a better cast than the Cavs did and you maybe get a team that could win a ring.

Beno7500
08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
LeBron James

ugafan
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
So Kobe's 3 rings don't matter? And none of Magic's rings mean anything either? And I guess we can throw 2 of TD's rings out as well...:rolleyes:

No, rings don't matter at all, skills and ability do. With the logic you're using, Rick Fox is better than Lebron James:rolleyes:

And I would have expected this from somebody else, but not you. What you said was very, very stupid.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
id pick wade cause he led a unhealthy team to the finals in 06 and won it almost all by himself with barely no help well shaq helped him a bit but in game 6 shaq was in foul trouble and was on the bench for the rest of the 4th wade dominated the mavs after going down 2-0 and came back from the 2-0 deficit led by wade.

King Koopa
08-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Wade or Lebron baby. **** KOBE. He has a Balling team and he still couldnt win it.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
id pick wade cause he led a unhealthy team to the finals in 06 and won it almost all by himself with barely no help well shaq helped him a bit but in game 6 shaq was in foul trouble and was on the bench for the rest of the 4th wade dominated the mavs after going down 2-0 and came back from the 2-0 deficit led by wade.

please, when a team wrote a defensive game plan then, Shaq was object # 1. Period. Yoy Heat fans, and Laker fans before, can write all you want about, Shaq didn't do this, or Shaq didn't do that. That is because the ENTIRE other teams focus was on stopping him, so your SG was aloud to roam free, and did what they should have. Stop giving all the credit to Wade or Kobe. Without Shaq, you don't win. Replace him with Duncan, KG, and yes, maybe.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I wouldnt pick kobe if i were you kobes gonna be a little bit like tmac now as the years go by kobes the same age as tmac at 29 at this age players start slowing down, well im not saying that kobe cant drive to the hoop anymore he can but now he i dont really see that coming from his dominance in his games all i see is jumpshots from kb24 by the time kobe gets to 33 years of age hes gonna get injured pretty much...

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 09:38 PM
It's not a matter of manning up. I agree he's injury prone, but its not because hes less of a man or anything, its just how it goes. It's not really completely in his control if he gets injured or not. Could he play through it some of the time, probably. But sometimes its not worth it.

Like I pointed out, tell that to AI, who is a midget compared to him. Then play dude. If you want your game to be going to the rim and drawing contact, man up. Otherwise, be Vince Carter.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I wouldnt pick kobe if i were you kobes gonna be a little bit like tmac now as the years go by kobes the same age as tmac at 29 at this age players start slowing down, well im not saying that kobe cant drive to the hoop anymore he can but now he i dont really see that coming from his dominance in his games all i see is jumpshots from kb24 by the time kobe gets to 33 years of age hes gonna get injured pretty much...

I wouldn't pick Kobe either, but don't compare him to TMac. A 3 time champion (regardless if he played with Shaq in his prime) vs a player who has never played in the second round. SHoot, Kobe brought a team of nobodies that far, and was in the finals this year with second tier player. I hate the man, but Tmac in the same breath is an insult

theimortalone
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
None. How about Amare Stoudemire? If D.Howard is up there then Amare should be up there too.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2008, 09:50 PM
None. How about Amare Stoudemire? If D.Howard is up there then Amare should be up there too.

When he can stop a division 2 player in the post from scoring, then maybe. Also, take away Nash, lets see what he can do

Cavs_Fan24
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
LeBron's WAAAAYY too good to be 23.

If you center your franchise around him, when he's in his prime he'll be an absolute TANK! And right now he's practically unstoppable, imagine him in his prime.. :speechless::speechless::speechless:

*Superman*
08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
No doubt Lebron. Then i say, Dwight, Kobe, and then Wade.

JordansBulls
08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Was this a comparison with only the 4 players in the poll?

JermanJaysFan
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Tough question. I really can only rule out Wade, mainly because of injury concerns. Outside of that, Kobe and Lebron both have proven capable of being completely and utterly dominant one man shows. I give the edge to Lebron, though, because of his age.

Depending on what kind of other players I have available, though, Dwight Howard is a very distinct possibility. There is no denying that an unstoppable post presence like Dwight is and will continue to becomes spells championships, but I don't think Dwight has the kind of polished offensive game to entirely carry a team on his shoulders like Kobe/Lebron. With a very legitimate perimeter scoring option though, and other very solid players filling out the lineup, Dwight would be the perfect anchor to a championship contender for the next dozen years or so.

superkegger
08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
No, rings don't matter at all, skills and ability do. With the logic you're using, Rick Fox is better than Lebron James:rolleyes:

And I would have expected this from somebody else, but not you. What you said was very, very stupid.

I'm not using the argument that rings determine a players worth or skill. But what was said that wades ring didn't matter because he got it with shaq, which is just utterly stupid. Because not bad team has ever won a ring. I'm not saying that the more rings you have the better you are, I'm simply saying that regardless of who was on the team you won your rings with doesn't matter. I'm not measuring players value or ability by rings.

#1Mavericksfan
08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Dwight Howard or Lebron James

theimortalone
08-20-2008, 10:56 PM
When he can stop a division 2 player in the post from scoring, then maybe. Also, take away Nash, lets see what he can do

Damn you are such an Amare Stoudemire hater! Do you not realize he was a top 5 canidate for MVP last year?

avsman05
08-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd go with Dwight Howard Center is the hardest position to fill.

mamba24
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM

d wade will never win another ring. you are a homer... the heat wont make the playoffs this year. they cant expect beasley to jump in and be amazing... hes gtta go up against duncan garnett amare gasol brand dwight howard... just to name a few... d wade wont carry a team like kobe or lebron. personally kobe is my favorite player BUT i'd take lebron right now because he's younger and you give him another player or two who are legit and he'll be in the finals.

clutchfan
08-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Why Would Anyone Want To Build A Dwight Howard? MIGHT AS WELL BUILD A TEAM AROUND AMARE Stoudemire.

barreleffact
08-21-2008, 12:06 AM
look. people should start hating and stop being biased. heres my breakdown in reverse order of who i would take.

Kobe Bean Bryant-
positives-Best in the game at this moment IMO. He is a leader IDC much at all how people should diss him. his team was not that great last year and he steal won 2 and could have won it all, but i do think the refs rigged game 2 and this young team never battled back mentally. I digress, however. Kobe will insure marketability, keep fans in the seats, and will demand respect for your franchise on his way to playoffs at least. He is perhaps the most clutch in the game and given any kind of non weak teammate with skill, he could win for years. He craves ball, and sees it as a job to be the best. His ethic is unreal. His defense is great and he wants to shut down the opponents best player every game.
negatives- Its hard to build around a wing. He can stroke but he is a scorer, not always a lights out shooter because he will NEVER be wide open. placed last mainly because of age. He has maybe 3-4 super stud status years in him before he becomes an all star and then fades.

Lebron
positives- Yes he is 3rd. He can play any position, is an athletic freak, and can will any game on any night. He was born for greatness and takes advantage of it. he has improved his range/shot, and he can carry a team very far, almost single handedly
negatives- he isnt clutch, although he is trying. He doesnt post and take FULL advantage of his body. His defense is improving, but not great, and his shot is streaky at best. He can become very shot happy, which is even worse because he should shoot as a last resort and drive to kill everytime.

Dwyane Wade
positive- born winner. Took an aging Shaq to the finals and destroyed the mavs with little help AFTER being down 2-0. He can play D, and judging by his performances for team USA, he is dedicated to being arguably the games best player like he was in 06. His 1st step is phenominal, he handles are insane, and his ability to get to the rim is incomparable to anyone save iverson. He can shoot freethrows and has an excellent mid range game. He is never scared and is a dream in the clutch.
negatives- his game may make him injury proned. He doesnt have great 3 point range. Its hard to build around a wing. not much else is bad....his decision to go bald...bad look for him.

Dwight Howard- Best center already. His body is unhuman. He is a dream to build around because he can rebound, play d, and is a great personality. He is very low maintenance considering he doesnt crave the ball yet still works as hard as he does to lead the league in rebounding, dunks, and get you sum blocks and scare players from coming in the lane. basically, he is number 1 because all you need is a great number 2 and its game over.
negatives- cant shoot, poor freethrows, and not great at scoring, but IDC i want my bigs to play big, rebound, and defend.

barreleffact
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Why Would Anyone Want To Build A Dwight Howard? MIGHT AS WELL BUILD A TEAM AROUND AMARE Stoudemire.

How often does Amare score when he isnt spoon fed by Nash? I mean D12 doesnt either, but Amare is a scorer. Amare is horrible at D, and doesnt rebound incredibly well.

barreleffact
08-21-2008, 12:15 AM

ur misunderstanding. rings do matter when you think of who is great. Rick fox nowhere near carried his team. rings only count for the main guy and the second. There are a lot of great players out there but if they were better they would have won. plain and simple. I mean TD is great. his skills and fundamentals anchored a championship. Would KG or someone have won given the opportunity? we will never know, but we do know that TD did win. Rings count, esop when you have multiple hardware to boast about

att1114
08-21-2008, 12:27 AM
i say lebron james....he has single-handedly carried is team to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs the last 3 years

barreleffact
08-21-2008, 12:28 AM
i say lebron james....he has single-handedly carried is team to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs the last 3 years

must be hard to beat the same team 3 times in a row. i mean just do what youve been doing until they prove they can stop you right?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-21-2008, 02:02 AM
LeBron, not just because he is young.

PutMeInCoach
08-21-2008, 02:24 AM
id take howard.. there is a true lack of dominant big men in the league.. but there are a ton of sg/sf scorers.. give me 25pts/13rebs/3blcks (numbers pulled outta my *** so dont quote me on them) from my C and I am a happy happy man.

heyman321
08-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Damn you are such an Amare Stoudemire hater! Do you not realize he was a top 5 canidate for MVP last year?

Nobody is hating on Amare Stoudemire. He is a good player however he is not a player to build around, or the best, at least. He is spoon fed by Nash all year. Even I could make the All-Star team if I had Nash on my team. Anyways, the clear answer to this thread it Lebron, I really don't think you can make an argument for anyone else. Sure you could say Wade won a ring, but that's one ring with a pretty good center (yes, Shaq DID matter, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themeselves). Lebron carried his team by himself without any serious talent. I'm interested in how the Mo Williams experiment is gonna work out, although I'm not sure he is the right point guard as he is a scoring one, not a passing one.

ARMIN12NBA
08-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Why is Kobe on this list? He is nearing 30 years of age and I don't think anybody would want to build a team around him. A team takes a few years to build into a championship contender and Kobe will be old by then.

Anyways, I would take Lebron James. He is only 24 years old and is already one of the best players in the league.

x_notorious
08-21-2008, 03:26 AM
As of right NOW, LeBron James. If we were talking about a younger Kobe, then it'll be a whole different story.

eso
08-21-2008, 03:39 AM
if they were all 20-22 years old, Kobe without a question. its simple build around the best player in the world!

MiamiHeat
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
d wade will never win another ring. you are a homer... the heat wont make the playoffs this year. they cant expect beasley to jump in and be amazing... hes gtta go up against duncan garnett amare gasol brand dwight howard... just to name a few... d wade wont carry a team like kobe or lebron. personally kobe is my favorite player BUT i'd take lebron right now because he's younger and you give him another player or two who are legit and he'll be in the finals.

A Healthy 100% Wade is good enough to make the playoffs, plus the Heat have an allstar SF that can get you 15 and 10 and a number 2 pick in Michael Beasley, I'm not saying they will go far in the playoffs ,Im just saying that's a pretty good team to make the playoffs plus anything can happen in the playoffs, so don't say they wont make it, and We arent expecting Beasley to be amazing his first year, we all know he will average at least 15ppg and 7-8rpg, thats pretty amazing if you ask me. Wade can't carry a team??? did you see the finals? nuff said.

Tom81
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
LeBron James