PDA

View Full Version : Corpas On Waivers Red Sox Interested?

RedSox24
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
The Red Sox would like to add relief help, and one of the interesting names in play is Colorado reliever Manny Corpas, reports the Globe's Nick Cafardo. But he warns: "Before you think that the 25-year-old righthander would be a nice fit for the Red Sox, consider that several teams with worst records than Boston would put in a claim for him. Corpas signed a four-year, $8.025 million extension with the Rockies in February ... Mostly a set-up guy, but an excellent fit for someone. Colorado is putting him out there probably to see what his worth is. Boston would have interest, just hard to believe he'd get to them." Corpas has been an on-again, off-again closer for the Rockies and was rumored to be moved in several deals before the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Corpas, who sports a 4.26 ERA with 11 holds this year, was 5-for-6 in save opportunities with a 0.87 ERA during Colorado's World Series run last year.

Source: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
100% yes.

The bullpen needs someone who can stop and get out of a jam, and I think Corpas is capable of making a huge impact in this bullpen.

homie564
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Corpas would be nuts.. i say we trade lugo for corpas :D... hey they need a SS after tulos struggles this year

futureheisman
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
i would love to see this happen bu i think someone who claim him before to the red sox. MDC is stinking it up right now.

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
This is interesting to say the least. As much as he has dropped off over the last year I would love to see him on the Red Sox but I don't see it as much of a possibility. Like the article said I think the Rockies did this just to gauge interest and to see what offers are out there for him, maybe they will be looking to unload him this offseason. Getting him on the Red Sox for the 2008 campaign would be nothing short of a small miracle IMO, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
I hear Colorado will take him off waivers and not let him go.

RedSoxtober
08-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I hear Colorado will take him off waivers and not let him go.

Of course. They're just testing the waters to see what value they could get back. They won't deal him unless they're blown away. It'd even make sense for the Sox to make that kind of deal (maybe even using MDC as a part of it since they were looking at him so heavily during the long Helton courtship last year). BUT they won't ever get the chance. The 4yr deal he signed makes him attractive even to teams that are normally "sellers" at this time of year.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I think we'd all take him, but teams would also easily block him.

The Yankees, among other teams, would CLEARLY block this.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Corpas being a better version of a Hansen type to me, I'd definitely welcome him. He was successful well into the playoffs and struggled this year. I would welcome a closer who had success in Coors any day. That would be awesome.

Nighthawk
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Like everyone else id be super excited if he landed Corpas. hes a domin at arm that can shut down hitters. something we seriously lack right now in the pen.