PDA

View Full Version : Homerism vs Objectivity

pebloemer
08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Homerism vs Objectivity.

The term homer gets thrown around very easily on these forums and the more I read and write on the forums, the more I see how fine a line there is between them sometimes.

There is no doubt in my mind that virtually everyone on these forums is partial to some extent to their team of choice or location. The question I would like to pose is what does it take for a person to eliminate their personal bias and make an objective opinion on a matter.

In a forum where debates are created based on opinion, is there ever a possibility for different opinions to be free from bias? I personally get agitated when I read other Raptors fans speak so loosely like we are the best team in the east (for example) as to me that shows homerism and it reflects on the entire fan base, not just the individual who said it. That being said, every team has people who will talk about their team in a higher regard because that is what it means to be a fan. So again, where do people draw the line? What are appropriate steps to eliminate bias?

Obviously, sourcing and backing up arguments is a huge part of adding validity to statements but it almost seems that even when people do that, if the statements are positive for their team of choice, they are still seen as homers.

Anyways, that is my two cents, I would love to hear people's opinions and discussions on this.

pebloemer
08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Just an addition here:

What percentage of PSD posters would you consider to be homers?

fredv
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
80%

Usain Bolt! Too Faaaaaaaaast!

Hellcrooner
08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
What you have to do is Be fair, Use your Judgemente ability and give out the strict facts , of course even if you try the hardest to avoid homerism , you know you are stilll a fan so some will show int your posts, no matter how much equilibrated you want to be,

Wnat to knwo a way to know how homer people is?

See how many times the guy fgets bated or insulted by their own teams fans when he gives opinions.

Go check lakers forum, ivw won myself some Anger posts and insults trying to be Fair when judging the Lakers.

Mile High Champ
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow great thread, Its so true though, the whole board is made of so called "homers", no one is willing to listen to a rational statement that is backed up by facts and evidence if for what ever reason put's there team in somewhat of a negative light. A great point is this. I got into an argument on this board with a bears fan. He said the bears would win the division, he said they were better than the vikings etc and that their offense had improved and not gotten worse. When yet their best WR jumped ship via free agency, they have a rookie RB and have grossman and orton as their QB's. I must of brought out every fact on each player in discussion and the guy would just ignore me. I know its not basketball related but some people just don't to listen to a possible version of the truth when it comes to their teams projections or results. I have to give up most of the time. Its essentially trying to put out a grease fire with water. Just cant happen.

KmB728
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
ill admit im a homer in a ton of threads... its hard not to give the edge to your team...

JordansBulls
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
to me a homer just votes for their team or player but never can explain or give support to why their team is better or why the player on their team is better than another. They simply just vote for their team or player no matter what and never can back up anything.

MiamiHeat
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Me too im a homer lol, thats what being a fan is all about love your favorite team :D
But i did vote for kobe for number 1 SG and not put Wade :up:

pebloemer
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
My problem is when situations arise like top SG in the league. If a Lakers fan says Kobe Bryant, the opinion is reduced to homerism over objectivity, but in reality, it would be both. Just because someone is a "homer" does not discount the argument if it is rationably and reasonably sound. I think that is where good debates come in; when some bias is present. But since the term homer gets thrown around so frivolously, it gets used as an excuse not to appreciate another's argument. That being said, it there are many situations where someone won't back up there post, or will make unrealistic expectations because of homerism, in which case the argument being made really is useless in the eyes of other posters. In those situations I would use the term homer, but again, the over using of the term calls into question what the term itself means.

superkegger
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow great thread, Its so true though, the whole board is made of so called "homers", no one is willing to listen to a rational statement that is backed up by facts and evidence if for what ever reason put's there team in somewhat of a negative light. A great point is this. I got into an argument on this board with a bears fan. He said the bears would win the division, he said they were better than the vikings etc and that their offense had improved and not gotten worse. When yet their best WR jumped ship via free agency, they have a rookie RB and have grossman and orton as their QB's. I must of brought out every fact on each player in discussion and the guy would just ignore me. I know its not basketball related but some people just don't to listen to a possible version of the truth when it comes to their teams projections or results. I have to give up most of the time. Its essentially trying to put out a grease fire with water. Just cant happen.

I hear ya man. Regardless of what the argument is, trying to argue with someone who is a homer and won't see the logic or rationality of an argument is frustrating. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Which sucks, because like quite a few others like you, some people are here to have a legitimate conversation about basketball (as well as other sports) not just defned out team/player to the death.

ill admit im a homer in a ton of threads... its hard not to give the edge to your team...

It's okay to give an edge to your team, but its not okay to defend that with no rhyme or reason to it. I mean its one thing to say that the celtics are the best team in the NBA, thats not a ridiculous statement, in fact its probably true. But when you start talking about Perkins and Rondo as top starters at their respective positions thats when it gets out of hand. not saying you personally have done, that, but a lot of celtic fans have. (not trying to single out celtic fans, cause I know they're not the worst, just an example). And thats what homerism is, and JB points out below.

to me a homer just votes for their team or player but never can explain or give support to why their team is better or why the player on their team is better than another. They simply just vote for their team or player no matter what and never can back up anything.

Exactly.

Me too im a homer lol, thats what being a fan is all about love your favorite team :D
But i did vote for kobe for number 1 SG and not put Wade :up:

There's nothing wrong with loving your own team.

I love the Yankees, but its clear that right now, they're not very good. To say that they have the scariest lineup is baseball is stupid, because right now, they suck. On paper maybe, but when you're a homer that means even when your team isn't good, you still elevate them to a level they're not on.

It's like saying the heat will win the championship next year. Could you realistically believe that as a heat fan? Yeah, you could, but regardless of why, you be overlooking the fact that they won only 15 games last year and have no C or proven PG. It's completey ok to love your team, but when you take that to a level where you ignore the reality of situations and facts, is when it becomes a bad thing.

As for me.

I always try to be objective. It doesn't always happen, I like anyone else, have my biases. But when I try as much as possible to not post about things to which i have a large bias.

The main reason I post here is because I want to have a legit "conversation" about the NBA, not defend that my team could beat your team or something. I could care less if someone thinks they're team or player is better than my favorite team or player most of the time. I just want to have a legit conversation about ball. Like lets say we're talking about, you know actually, it rarely seems to matter what is actually being talked about, it usually turns into some ****o defending how Player A is the best or better thatn Player B. And thats what pisses me off. I'm just here to talk about ball, not defend how so and so is the best. It's not about who is the best or making sure your team comes out ahead in a conversation, cause it doesn't mean ****, I just want to talk about ball, because most of my friends start to roll their eyes at me after about 10 minutes of me rattling on about the NBA.