PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers interested in Zack randolph?

Bg7getclutch
08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Cavalier interest in Zach?

This rumor surfaced with a one-line mention in a Cleveland report late last week and blew up on the web because there's not much happening out there right now. Basically the talk was that the Cavs were talking to the Knicks about a big man. It did not specify Zach Randolph, but that's always the assumption when you're talking about Knicks bigs who could be on the move.

zbopic.bmpThe Cavs, who are clearly trying to load up around LeBron this summer (see: Mo Williams), could use legit low-post scorer. But is Zach a good fit there, especially for defensive-minded coach Mike Brown?

I've always had this opinion about Z-Bo: he's a better player when he's on a good team. When he's in a losing situation, Zach tends to go for self. Last season Zach seemed to be ready to buy into being part of the team concept but quickly fell into get-mine mode once he saw the mayhem around him (and the obvious lack of discipline). Perhaps in a situation like Cleveland, where LeBron is the clear leader, Zach would buy in and be less inclined to fall into the get-mine approach. And when Brown needs defense down low, he can go to Anderson Varejao.

It's worth some exploration and since we've got Fixers all over the place, some of them embedded in strategic places, we can say that we're hearing there's been some chatter about a Zach Randolph-to-Cleveland scenario inside NBA circles. Most team executives are on vacation right now (just like your favorite blog host) so details aren't easy to dig up right now. In the meantime, we can open it for a rhetorical discussion.

Who would the Knicks take in return? One idea could be Wally Szczerbiak, because shooters are always welcome. Another thought, however, could be Ben Wallace, which would make more sense for the Cavs from a contract standpoint and despite his painfully obvious weaknesses on offense, the Knicks could use the low-post defense and rebounding abilities.

The contracts work in either scenario with Zach's numbers (he's owed $14.6 million this season). Wally has an expiring deal at $13 million and Big Ben has two years left at $14.5 mil this year and $14 mil the year after (just in time to melt away in that critical Summer of 2010).

We know that right now the Knicks are preparing to go into the season with Zach on the roster. I've been told that Mike D'Antoni has chatted with fellow Team USA assistant coach (and Portland Trail Blazers coach) Nate McMillan about coaching Zach.

We've been saying here this summer that Stephon Marbury's days with the Knicks will be soon over. This point was echoed by the Boston Globe on Sunday.

But we heard Donnie Walsh last week told season ticket holders that Marbury had "a clean slate" -- those exact words couldn't be confirmed on video provided by nyknicks.com, but Fixer "david" insists that's what DW said -- and Walsh also suggested Marbury would be in training camp this fall.

He very well may be there to unwittingly (or not) steal the spotlight at Media Day on Sept. 29 and could even be there the next day for the opening practice of training camp in Saratoga. But that doesn't mean it is a given that Marbury will be on the opening night roster. Camp may be the place D'Antoni and Walsh use to decide that Marbury -- aside from everything else -- doesn't fit the "plan" and moves on without him.

You have to read into Donnie's words sometimes because he tends to speak very carefully and, at times, cryptically. All along he's suggested that he doesn't know what he has on this roster because the team played so poorly. He wants to "see" what he has, which is why I am starting to believe he may want to bring Marbury into camp. At that time he and D'Antoni can make the decision to cut Marbury for basketball reasons instead of dumping him in August or September for what everyone will view as personality issues.

In the end, behind closed doors, the truth may be that D'Antoni and Walsh don't want to invite the potential for trouble by having Marbury on the roster this season. But publicly they'll call it a basketball decision...that Stephon doesn't fit what they want to do going forward. That's what I'm reading in the tea leaves right now, Fixers.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/08/cavalier_interest_in_zach.html

knicks1214
08-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Lol this has been in the Knicks forums for a few days now. I would LOVE to get rid of Zebo because he is a cancer but I think it's unlikely it's going to happen...if we do trade him though we should get someone good back in return, better than Wally...maybe even a draft pick or two.

Bg7getclutch
08-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I think wally would play pretty well with the knicks.

lakers4sho
08-19-2008, 10:55 PM
:laugh2:

Another step to destruction...

...Ben Wallace, now Zach Randolph?? :pity:

MiamiHeatWade33
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
that would be a big mistake for the knicks for giving him up but a solid addition for this cavaliers club that needs help so that lebron doesnt wanna leave the cavs in 2010 the knicks by the way will get way overated even more if they do this mistake no seriously..

knicks1214
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
To the person who said Wally would be a good fit in D's system...the keys to his system are athleticism and quickness/speed. Both things Wally does not have...he is not even close to having either of them lol. Although, he once had a good shot. But to Wade33 what you said makes a lot of sense. Why surround Lebron with more pieces.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Just package Gibson and Enough expiring contracts ( even including third teams in the trade) To match Randolph AND Jeffries and its yours we will even give you Mardy Collins for free as a present.

Westbrook36
08-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Just package Gibson and Enough expiring contracts ( even including third teams in the trade) To match Randolph AND Jeffries and its yours we will even give you Mardy Collins for free as a present.

No way they do that. Why give the Knicks more money to give to Lebron with the Expiring Contracts PLUS Gibson

Weezy
08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
No way they do that. Why give the Knicks more money to give to Lebron with the Expiring Contracts PLUS Gibson

Knicks should just take Wally + 1st Rounder and leave. I would be happy with that honestly.

The83rdWonder
08-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Wally and a 2010 1st for Randolph would be a good move for the Knicks. Saves New York 17 million in 2010, and gives them 27 million to toy around with in 2010.

MiamiHeatWade33
08-19-2008, 11:32 PM
the knicks would love to save some money for any luck of signing any interesting players in 2010

SAVAGE CLAW
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I dont think Cleveland would send a 1rst rounder anywhere.

You know what happened last time they traded a first thinking it would be worthless?.

They unexpectedly sucked that year and that pick became Magic Johnson.

$ NyC $
08-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Knicks should just take Wally + 1st Rounder and leave. I would be happy with that honestly.

I'm putting my L up

totally agree

SwaggaIke
08-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Zach Randolph hasn't been the best player over the years, mainly because of his attitude. But he is a very capable 20 10 PF. If Mike Brown could somehow get him together, you'd have to consider the Cavs one of the best in the game. If they could mesh as a team, wow.

23LBJCleBrowns
08-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm putting my L up

totally agree

the Knicks have no shot at LeBron. Let them keep dreaming and building up false hope - just like they did during LBs first contract. The summer of 2010 is a big offseason in general: Yao, Amare, Wade, Bosh, Kobe, etc.

I wouldnt mind getting zack on my team, we would be beast

29$JerZ
08-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Zach Randolph hasn't been the best player over the years, mainly because of his attitude. But he is a very capable 20 10 PF. If Mike Brown could somehow get him together, you'd have to consider the Cavs one of the best in the game. If they could mesh as a team, wow.

Problem with Zach that gets overlook is he doesn't have a leader. When Rasheed was in Portland they won 47 games. Once he leaves, Portland sucks. Comes to the Knicks with no leader and he acts selfish. If anyone can make Zach play the way he is suppose to it's LBJ.

NYMetros
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't think this would be good for Cleveland. Randolph is a terrible defender and way overpaid. Good offensively. But what you sacrifise on defense is just overwhelming.

29$JerZ
08-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't think this would be good for Cleveland. Randolph is a terrible defender and way overpaid. Good offensively. But what you sacrifise on defense is just overwhelming.

Cleveland could really use another scorer, especially up front.
Mo + LeBron will take pressure off but they still need a low post scorer if they want to win a Championship. They would still have Ben who can make up for Zach's defensive woes. If Cleveland wants to win a Championship, they need some guy up front. Problem with Zach is he needs a Leader to be effective and not a negative.

Mo
Sasha
LeBron
Zach
Big Z

What's wrong with that Lineup? IMO thats what will push them over the hump.

JordansBulls
08-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Cavs better do it if they want to keep Lebron.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Mmm Mo? = No D Sasha = No D Zydrunas = No D Zbo = No D.....

bad idea.?

bogdanrom
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
This would **** everything up for the Cavs. His fat lazy *** would give up playing half way through the season.