PDA

View Full Version : Update: Red Sox sign Catcher David Ross to Minor League Contract

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
David Ross, released by the Reds on Monday, will not be out of work long.

The Phillies and Red Sox are showing interest in the catcher, according to major-league sources. Both clubs would use him as a backup.

The Philles could sign Ross as an immediate replacement for Carlos Ruiz. Or they could stay with Ruiz, send Ross to AAA, and summon Ross when rosters expand on September 1.

The Red Sox could envision a similar scenario with Kevin Cash.

In 52 games this year, Ross is batting .231 but owns a robust .381 OBP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8461824/Sources:-Phils,-Red-Sox-interested-in-Ross

Towelie
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
get him. could be a nice pickup.

Tragedy
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I mean, we need a STARTING Catcher. He's not going to be a major upgrade over Cash (Though that OBP is pretty nice).

NESports2004
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
i like Cash.

No point in signing him we dont need a backup.

cmoneytakemoney
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
i like Cash.

No point in signing him we dont need a backup.

This guy Ross was a highly touted prospect a few years back though. It's worth a shot because Varitek isn't an everyday catcher anymore and Cash will never be more than a mediocre back-up his whole career. There aren't alot of good catching prospects around right now and I remember the experts predicted David Ross to be a very good major league catcher when he was with the Dodgers a few years ago. Maybe a change in scenery would help and a guy like Varitek around to tutor him wouldn't hurt. I'm all for it.

Tragedy
08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
This guy Ross was a highly touted prospect a few years back though. It's worth a shot because Varitek isn't an everyday catcher anymore and Cash will never be more than a mediocre back-up his whole career. There aren't alot of good catching prospects around right now and I remember the experts predicted David Ross to be a very good major league catcher when he was with the Dodgers a few years ago. Maybe a change in scenery would help and a guy like Varitek around to tutor him wouldn't hurt. I'm all for it.
He'll likely never be a solid offensive player. Career BA around .220 doesn't exactly tell me he's on the uprise.

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 12:02 AM
At this point anyone would be better than Kevin Cash, he is abysmal offensively. With that said I wouldn't give up much for Ross, while he is quite an upgrade over Cash he still isn't anything special.

Tragedy
08-20-2008, 12:04 AM
At this point anyone would be better than Kevin Cash, he is abysmal offensively. With that said I wouldn't give up much for Ross, while he is quite an upgrade over Cash he still isn't anything special.
How exactly is he "quite an upgrade" over Cash?

People are fooling themselves if they believe he's head over heels better than Cash OR an actual replacement for Varitek for 2009.

captaintek33
08-20-2008, 12:52 AM
The biggest difference between Ross and Cash is that, IF (God Forbid!) Varitek gets injured, Ross can (and has) be(en) a decent everyday catcher for stretches at a time. I'm not saying that he would be great. In fact, he probably would't even approach 'good'. But, he would be MUCH better than Cash in a starter's role, if he had to.

There are maybe only 12-15 starting catchers in the major leagues that any team would actually WANT. The rest are all just varying degrees of 'suck'! Ross is in the lower end of that list. Cash isn't even on that list...

I say "Why not?" It can't possibly hurt...

DaaBoTownSox
08-20-2008, 06:51 AM
I couldn't have said it better.

RedSoxtober
08-20-2008, 07:29 AM

People are fooling themselves if they believe he's head over heels better than Cash OR an actual replacement for Varitek for 2009.

Personally I think you need to view this more as an executive and less as a fan. Consider the position the Sox are in: their only truly MLB everyday ready catcher is at the end of his contract and represented by Scott Boras. Their backups have struggled to hit .200 the past couple of seasons and their highest level catching prospects don't project much better than capable backups.

Given his track record Ross probably won't cost any more than either cash or a lower level PTBNL, but he represents another insurance policy in case things don't work out well with 'Tek. They will certainly investigate other options but they need a safe landing spot for disaster as well.

lil'papi
08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Losing Tek won't be a disaster. That being said, we aren't going to lose him. His value is here and Borass knows it. Tek has no escape route.
He would get booed in other cities, here he has some courtesy built up. Won't last much longer though hitting a paltry .212 .....
This guy hits .230 and OBP .380 how is that NOT an upgrade offensively. Cash is what he is and he can handle the knuckler , but Dusty Brown could fill this role too. I'm not buying he replaces Tek more a way to say to Tek don't bring us a big demand.
Either way no skin off our teeth. ;)

futureheisman
08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
would be there for depth

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Well im having a hard time finding out which is better, Cash's .218 BA or his .281 OBP, or maybe its his .327 SLG which is worth leaving him around. Cash is garbage, nothing more than a career minor league catcher who can make a solid defensive backup. Ross on the other hand gets on base at a crazy rate for his BA (he has a .150 point difference between BA and OBP thats crazy when you have a horrible avg).

At least when you give Tek a day off we won't have an automatic out in our lineup. I don't see where anyone says that he will be a replacement for Varitek, but you can't argue he is an actual ML level catcher, which I don't believe Cash is. If the price is reasonable, which it seems to be Ross would be a great fit for our team. I don't understand why you wouldn't want Ross, what's not to like here?

Towelie
08-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I think we need to do whatever in the offseason not to sign Tek again...make a trade for the prospect like Clement or someone of his type.

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Seems like a good hitter, it can't hurt.

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
I think we need to do whatever in the offseason not to sign Tek again...make a trade for the prospect like Clement or someone of his type.

The M's plan to move Clement to first base down the line to save his bat for long term, not to mention he is a horrible defensive catcher. I see us getting somone like Ross until we can find a long term solution, I just don't see a potential WS team having faith in an unproven prospect behind the plate.

Towelie
08-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Well I didn't say Clement, I just said a Clement type. I don't care for Clement to be honest with you.

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Well I didn't say Clement, I just said a Clement type. I don't care for Clement to be honest with you.

Thats the problem though, there aren't many good catching prospects right now that look to be future studs, and the majority of them out there are highly coveted by their owning team. I just think your being unrealistic by trying to find instant production out of a prospect catcher. I sure wish we hadn't given up Kelly Shoppach, we could sure use him right now :sigh:

Tarheelguy1967
08-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Actually, you did say Clement, then you added OR a Clement type. I see so many people posting something quickly, then running away from what they said at the first strong criticism. Say what you want, back it up, and be proud. Heck.....this is just a posting site. If any of us were really qualified to be a GM, or if any of the GMs really cared about anything we thought or said, then we'd all be WAY too busy to put our thoughts down in sites like this. :)

quiksilver2491
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Actually, you did say Clement, then you added OR a Clement type. I see so many people posting something quickly, then running away from what they said at the first strong criticism. Say what you want, back it up, and be proud. Heck.....this is just a posting site. If any of us were really qualified to be a GM, or if any of the GMs really cared about anything we thought or said, then we'd all be WAY too busy to put our thoughts down in sites like this. :)

Well actually im looking to pursue a career in sports managment, thus my opinions tend to be superior ;) (sarcasm)

gosawks
08-21-2008, 01:04 AM
The Red Sox, adding catching help for the stretch drive, have signed David Ross to a minor-league contract, according to major-league sources.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8473536/Red-Sox-sign-Ross-to-minor-league-deal

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 01:43 AM
After seeing Cash's performance last night, I hope we see him right away.

TheKid
08-21-2008, 02:02 AM
The Red Sox, adding catching help for the stretch drive, have signed David Ross to a minor-league contract, according to major-league sources.

That sounds kinda odd doesn't it? :)

DaaBoTownSox
08-21-2008, 06:46 AM
If I had to bet, I think they will call him up before the end of the month to determine if they want him on the expanded roster come sept 1st.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/phillies-intere.html

THURSDAY: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league deal.

redsox12
08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports the Red Sox have signed catcher David Ross to a minor league deal.
The Phillies were interested, but Ross decided to play for Boston. He'll head to Triple-A for now, but the Red Sox need to activate him by August 31 to make him eligible for the postseason. He'll be the team's third catcher.

rotoworld

futureheisman
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
good backup option

could add some depth

cocossox
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/phillies-intere.html

THURSDAY: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league deal.why :confused:

ThreeIfBaerga
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
If I had to bet, I think they will call him up before the end of the month to determine if they want him on the expanded roster come sept 1st.

You're going to have to explain that logic to me.

gosawks
08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
haha, i must have read that one too fast myself. i assume that he meant call him up by then so they can later decide about having him on the post season roster... but then again you didnt really have to bet on that, since it was clearly said in the linked article.

yaowowrocket11
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
It Can't hurt. Ross seems like a decent hitter.

Towelie
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Welcome to the forums, I'm glad to see you can't ****ing read. I said prospect Like Clement or a prospect of his type. Key word being LIKE! meaning not him but someone like him.

Cronin
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Not a bad 3rd catcher, and he has some pop. We kept hearing the Phillies name associated with Ross, but he made the right choice and signed with us! Like Jason Lane, this can't hurt.

Tragedy
08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey, why not.

He'll be up in September when the rosters expand.

coltsfan11
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Nice signing here. He's one of those guys that might not be one of the best baseball players around, but you know that he is going to bring everything that he has onto the field, and not only that he'll bring it sometimes, but he will play his heart out every time he is on the field.

RedSoxtober
08-22-2008, 02:49 PM
The Red Sox signed catcher David Ross, 31, to a minor league deal and assigned him to Pawtucket. Ross hit .231 with three home runs and 12 RBIs in 52 games with the Reds this season before being released. Ross will be called up in September when rosters expand. Another Triple A catcher (either Dusty Brown or George Kottaras) probably will join Boston when Pawtucket's season is over. The Red Sox are unwilling to stick an untested catcher into a pennant race, which prompted the interest in Ross

Source: Boston Globe

Wake's Fastball
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm curious to see which of Kottaras and Brown they go with. Kottaras might have more appeal due to his pop off the bench, but Brown's superior defense and (probably) more major-league ready bat might bump him over the top.