PDA

View Full Version : Beckett's next start pushed back, possible injury?

-Lavigne43-
08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Josh Beckett's scheduled start on Saturday has been pushed back to Tuesday due to "tingling" in his hand.
Beckett was hammered for eight runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Blue Jays on Sunday, so it's not a huge surprise that he was hurting. He slept awkwardly on his shoulder, according to manager Terry Francona, which is the cause of the tingling. Beckett wouldn't attribute it solely to the way he slept, though, saying he's felt the tingling all season. He also said starting on Tuesday wasn't a certainty.

rotoworld

NESports2004
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
damn this is not good at all

Towelie
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
No, this is good. Cause **** me he's been terrible this year, he has to be something wrong with him.

Tragedy
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Injuries would explain a lot from his 2008 season.

We really need him to do well down the stretch, or we're ****ed.

gosawks
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I always thought that if we can just make the playoffs and have Beckett as the beast that he is in the playoffs, then we'll be ok... but I'm starting to second guess myself. I agree with what I saw on another post, Lester is probably our ace.

But, my question is, anybody think that Beckett can still be that playoff pitcher that he has been in his history or does this year change everything? He does seem to take his game to another level... but I think we all hope that he can.

homie564
08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
lets hope he can get back to himself after this... on another note.. SOX WIN!!!! :dance2:

RedSoxtober
08-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Here's a little more...

In the wake of the revelation by Terry Francona that Josh Beckett has been experiencing tingling and numbness in his right arm since Sunday, Beckett addressed the media in the visiting clubhouse here in Baltimore.

Beckett will be pushed back from Saturday to Tuesday because of the issue, and is undergoing tests to attempt to determine the source of the problem. Beckett said he slept awkwardly on the arm before Sunday's start against the Blue Jays, a start in which he gave up 8 runs in 2 2/3 innings.

"Just something I've been dealing with," Beckett said. "At some point in time, just got to figure out what the [heck] it is. Obviously it's not what I want, but I think at this juncture it's something that needs to happen. Obviously there's something going on."

Beckett said the numbness remains in his pinky and ring finger, and has been there since Sunday, though it has improved over time. There is "not very much pain at all with it," he said. "You've got to figure out what the [heck] it is. You don't want it to get so bad to where it ends up being a really bad problem."

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/tingling_numbne.html)

It sounds a lot like carpal tunnel syndrome, at least if the tingling and numbness is more the hand than the arm. I've had that effect me a few times and it can be pretty unnerving. If that's what it turns out to be then the good news is that it's very treatable.

lil'papi
08-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Well without tests hard to figure. It sounds more a neck impingement. If he slept wrong on it makes perfect sense. He just needs a good masseuse or a chiropractor.

His velocity is fine. Cervical discs cause arm pain and numbness.....sounds like he used JD Drews pillow. :D

A common cause of neck, shoulder and arm pain is a ruptured or herniated cervical disc. Symptoms may include dull or sharp pain in the neck or between the shoulder blades, pain that radiates down the arm to the hand or fingers, or numbness or tingling in the shoulder or arm. Certain positions or movements of the neck can intensify the pain. Spanish / Espaņol

The symptoms of a cervical herniated disc often resemble other disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome, problems with the rotator cuff and gout. In some patients, a cervical herniated disc can cause spinal cord compression where disc material pushes on the spinal cord. This is a much more serious condition and may require a more aggressive treatment plan. Spinal cord compression symptoms include awkward or stumbling gait, difficulty with fine motor skills in the hands and arms, and tingling or “shock” type feelings down the torso or into the legs.

sboyajian
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I didn't know Josh was a fan of The Stranger.

yaowowrocket11
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
The worst thing that could have happened. Let's hope he only gets pushed back that one start and nothing more.

RedSoxtober
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Beckett had said Tuesday that numbness in his right pinky and ring fingers - which prompted the Sox to push back his next start from Saturday - was still present. But Francona said yesterday Beckett has gotten a lot better since he felt the symptoms Sunday, when he was shelled for eight runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Blue Jays. There remains "tingling in one finger," Francona said, but not nearly as bad as it had been.

Source: Boston Globe

Again, this really confirms what I was thinking about carpal tunnel syndrome -- it's exactly what I've experienced. I suspect that the extra rest will help at least temporarily if I'm right.

sboyajian
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM

Again, this really confirms what I was thinking about carpal tunnel syndrome -- it's exactly what I've experienced. I suspect that the extra rest will help at least temporarily if I'm right.
The unfortunate thing, as some of us IT people know.. if it get's too bad, you can rest it and it will go away.. but the next morning when you put those hands to work, it comes back fairly quick.

It could be much worse tho.. at least it's not the beginnings (hopefully) of arthritis.

lil'papi
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
ITS not carpal tunnel. That's like a cyst at the base of the tendons from over use. He slept wrong that his neck. Very common.......
At my age I get that once a week now. :D Same symptoms , yes. Your cervical controls the arms. He is FINE.
He gets a massage from Heidi and he said he is golden. In fact he said yesterday he wants to throw a BP session.

Carpal tunnel in many cases needs a surgical correction or as much rest as possible and some pills. :D

lil'papi
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM

I'm sure yours is your wrist? :D:D Having so many kids around. hehehehe

RedSoxtober
08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
ITS not carpal tunnel. That's like a cyst at the base of the tendons from over use. He slept wrong that his neck. Very common.......
At my age I get that once a week now. :D Same symptoms , yes. Your cervical controls the arms. He is FINE.
He gets a massage from Heidi and he said he is golden. In fact he said yesterday he wants to throw a BP session.

Carpal tunnel in many cases needs a surgical correction or as much rest as possible and some pills. :D

FWIW, when I've had issues it's been after playing sports rather than working at the computer all day. The symptoms lasted for a few days, too.

Since Beckett claimed to still be experiencing the symptoms (he obviously didn't get the Sox memo on double-speak) on Tuesday does that fit into the cervical diagnosis? Your description sounds like it's an issue for a day and then recedes after the next night's sleep.

lil'papi
08-21-2008, 09:39 AM
According to Beckett, the Sox have ruled out any major issues, saying the problem was not related to circulatory issues or an aneurysm. One possible source of the problem is the ulnar nerve, the same nerve that runs through the funny bone and can cause a tingling sensation when aggravated.

In the worst cases, repeated ulnar nerve issues can be repaired through a surgical procedure in which the nerve is moved. Less severe cases can be handled through treatment and medication.

lil'papi
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
FWIW, when I've had issues it's been after playing sports rather than working at the computer all day. The symptoms lasted for a few days, too.

Since Beckett claimed to still be experiencing the symptoms (he obviously didn't get the Sox memo on double-speak) on Tuesday does that fit into the cervical diagnosis? Your description sounds like it's an issue for a day and then recedes after the next night's sleep.

I wasn't referencing working at a computer. A little lower......:p

futureheisman
08-21-2008, 08:26 PM
i hope not we need him for a plyoff run and if we make it witout him there is no way we can win it all because he is almost automatic in the postseason.

RedSoxtober
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I wasn't referencing working at a computer. A little lower......:p

Yeah, I got that. I was asking a more serious question. I threw in the computer reference more to comment on sboyaian's post since we're both programmers.

lil'papi
08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I got that. I was asking a more serious question. I threw in the computer reference more to comment on sboyaian's post since we're both programmers.

OK, a more serious answer he threw last night no reported issues he is still scheduled to go Tuesday. He will throw a pen and we will know more.

Again ulnar nerve ......makes perfect sense. I'm sure he is being treated with meds.

Run Gardner Run
08-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Hes not pitching tuesday now.

TORONTO -- Red Sox right-hander Josh Beckett won't be facing the New York Yankees on Tuesday after skipping a bullpen session Saturday because of continued numbness and tingling in his pitching arm.

Manager Terry Francona said Beckett has inflammation in his elbow and likely won't start again until next Friday, when the Red Sox return home to open a three-game series against the Chicago White Sox.

espn.com

knittingmill
08-23-2008, 02:26 PM
i sure hope the sox' medical staff read this blog because these numb nuts have it all figured out.

lil'papi
08-24-2008, 08:35 AM
^^ Hey go read the papers he has inflamation which is normally ulnar which is from the medical staff anyway. Duh....
I give things that could have gone wrong. I have a background in sports injury.

lil'papi
08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Nevermind the FACT the RS medical staff could not have been more wrong on Schilling.

futureheisman
08-24-2008, 09:13 AM
imflammtion in pitching elbow

knittingmill
08-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Beckett to make next start! Colon pitching tonight. Fingers crossed.

RedSoxtober
08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Josh Beckett, who had been shelved after being hampered by a tingling feeling in the fingers of his right throwing arm in his last outing (2.1 innings, 8 hits, 8 earned runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts) August 17 vs. the Blue Jays, threw a side session today at Yankees Stadium that convinced Sox manager Terry Francona his ace would be available to take his next turn in the rotation against the Chicago White Sox Friday at Fenway Park.

"Beckett threw a side and did really well," Francona told reporters during his pre-game press conference. "He threw 50 pitches and he was strong and he's ready to go Friday. I'm excited and because he's excited so are we."

More from the Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/08/sox_pregame_bec.html)

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 12:18 AM
And thus ends another Red Sox Nation collective anxiety freakout. Injuries happen...there's no reason to rush to the worst possible conclusion when they do. Hopefully this means we won't have to hear limp suggestions for names like Padilla and Millwood anymore.

laxtonto
08-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Well, I will say this Millwood has just pitched back to back 1 run complete games.

Found out that Millwood has a BABIP of .372 this year and .348 last year...
Dude has bad luck.

IF Becket still has troubles on his start the 29th, Millwood could still be an option.

Osiagledknarf
08-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Not at $10million+ per year for the next 2 years...no thank you.

lil'papi
08-27-2008, 09:16 AM
And thus ends another Red Sox Nation collective anxiety freakout. Injuries happen...there's no reason to rush to the worst possible conclusion when they do. Hopefully this means we won't have to hear limp suggestions for names like Padilla and Millwood anymore.

Nobody gave worst possible , in fact , I was very optimistic.;) Ulnar calms down with anti inflammatories. His calmed down.

BUT, and that's a big but , lets see if it acts up again. They usually come and go but occasionally they come back worse. (I'm sure he is on anti's for awhile now)

We need him , big time. We need him as he was last year to boot. This will shake up the Rays a bit if he can. We can then close the gap make them a tad tighter on the diamond. :p

laxtonto
08-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Well ****!!!

Looks like this is not the news people are looking for

Josh Beckett has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday and is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews.
No details yet, but Beckett must have had more tingling in his hand yesterday and/or today. His bullpen session Tuesday reportedly went fine, causing him to be penciled in for Friday. The Red Sox figure to place him on the DL and call up someone -- perhaps David Pauley -- to start Friday. Aug. 28 - 4:53 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=248183

Tragedy
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
We've got a new thread to discuss the latest updates.