PDA

View Full Version : Red White and Blue Lakers

allison_a1234
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Check out this poll!

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/08/18/red-white-and-blue-lakers/

SAVAGE CLAW
08-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Great and unexpected news that people is still voting for Magic Johnson, with Kobe fanatics you never know...

knicks1214
08-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Magic no doubt...Kobe is one of my favorite players but Magic did a lot more for his team back then I think...then again, I was only 1 years old so I don't remember...anything lol.

Lakersfan2483
08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Magic was the Greatest Laker of all time.

Master P
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
i disagree with everyone who voted for magic on the grounds that he was retired for over a year before barcelona. sure he was great at his peak, but 1992 wasn't it. great nba player though, no doubt about his dominance.

however, if this poll is dedicated to selecting who was the best laker when he suited up for the usa then it's shaq. how quickly people forget just how dominant he was. the lakers won three straight championships thanks to shaq. two of these years weren't even close (the kings had a good run the one year) and the team tied for the second best record in nba history. the heat also have a title thanks in large part to shaq.

how many titles does any team have thanks to kobe's leadership? do people really think if you took kobe off of the current lakers and put the old shaq in there with gasol and odom that they wouldn't win the title??? they could start me jack nickelson at the 2 and still win.

im not trying to say kobe is a bad player, but shaq in his prime was better than kobe has ever been so far. and 1996 was right in shaq's early prime.

MrBloop
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Umm...guy named Master P, Shaq was on Orlando when he was on that Olympic squad.

So technically he doesn't count.

knicks1214
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
P. They are completely different players. Kobe controls the ball pretty much the entire game making the game a lot harder for the Lakers without him because then they would have nobody on the perimeter/slashing to the lane scoring and this would also put a lot of pressure on all of the other players. Shaq was a pure post center. He had to get the ball from somebody else. True, if I were to start a franchise with both players in their primes I would take Shaq because he was so dominant but saying that they could start you and Jack Nickelson (even though IDK how good you or he is at basketball lol) I don't think that team would be able to win the championships. However, I do agree with what you are saying.

MrBloop
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
i disagree with everyone who voted for magic on the grounds that he was retired for over a year before barcelona. sure he was great at his peak, but 1992 wasn't it. great nba player though, no doubt about his dominance.

however, if this poll is dedicated to selecting who was the best laker when he suited up for the usa then it's shaq. how quickly people forget just how dominant he was. the lakers won three straight championships thanks to shaq. two of these years weren't even close (the kings had a good run the one year) and the team tied for the second best record in nba history. the heat also have a title thanks in large part to shaq.

how many titles does any team have thanks to kobe's leadership? do people really think if you took kobe off of the current lakers and put the old shaq in there with gasol and odom that they wouldn't win the title??? they could start me jack nickelson at the 2 and still win.

im not trying to say kobe is a bad player, but shaq in his prime was better than kobe has ever been so far. and 1996 was right in shaq's early prime.

Your not saying Kobe is a bad player, but the respect your giving him is non-existant.

Shaq had some decent supporting cast's b4 Kobe's emergence, and they couldn't get it done. It wasn't until Shaq had that sidekick, (ala Penny in his prime), that he could finally get that championship monkey off his back. There is know doubt who the best player was on all of those championship teams, but Kobe was a close second, more so than a Scottie Pippen for instance.

Kobe helped win some very important games in the finals, and the games leading up to the finals...not to mention he made it very hard to double down hard on the daddy.

2000 finals against Indiana come to mind, when he took over b/c Shaq fouled out, scoring 28, with 8 coming in overtime.

So NO, you couldn't just stick any1 with Shaq, and win a chip.

He damn sure wouldn't have won 3 in a row without Kobe, thats for sure.

$KnicksAndKobe$
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Your not saying Kobe is a bad player, but the respect your giving him is non-existant.

Shaq had some decent supporting cast's b4 Kobe's emergence, and they couldn't get it done. It wasn't until Shaq had that sidekick, (ala Penny in his prime), that he could finally get that championship monkey off his back. There is know doubt who the best player was on all of those championship teams, but Kobe was a close second, more so than a Scottie Pippen for instance.

Kobe helped win some very important games in the finals, and the games leading up to the finals...not to mention he made it very hard to double down hard on the daddy.

2000 finals against Indiana come to mind, when he took over b/c Shaq fouled out, scoring 28, with 8 coming in overtime.

So NO, you couldn't just stick any1 with Shaq, and win a chip.

He damn sure wouldn't have won 3 in a row without Kobe, thats for sure.

:clap::cry::clap::clap::clap: WELL SAID MAN !!!
And im tired of people saying "kobe can't do it without shaq lolllll"
ALL DAMN CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS NEED MORE THEN ONE GREAT PLAYER.

Master P
08-19-2008, 11:34 PM
i give kobe respect, he's the mvp. he almost led the lakers to a championship and the team is poised to make another run at this for seasons to come. but until they win that title, he's not at the level shaq achieved.

the comment that shaq didn't do anything until he played with penny doesn't make sense. shaq only had one year without him, and he was a rookie on a team that was in the nba basement the year before. then he moved to the lakers and we saw what happened there. no doubt shaq had help, a lot of which was from a young kobe, which got the team past the blazers and the kings (note that the finals dont count as the east was worthless). however, shaq was the man. nobody believed they could beat him, and nobody could. as a fan you just knew he was going to win. just like we knew the bulls were going to win with micheal. maybe those days are over thanks to the cap, or maybe nobody is that dominant that with a 'good' supporting cast. kobe sure doesn't give that 'nobody can beat me for years to come' feeling. that's not to say they can't win a title or titles, just that at this point i dont feel it's a slam dunk.

i apologize for not realizing shaq was on the orlando roster when he went to the olympics in 96. i didn't check the exact year, but i assumed whoever put his name on the list did. my bad.

Master P
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
oh, one more thing.

i realize shaq and kobe are different players. but the fact that shaq needs a point guard to give him the ball is irrelevant. kobe creates with the ball. shaq created his shots by getting position so the pg could make the pass and he could make the basket. shaq was so big and strong at getting his position that it didn't exactly take steve nash to give him the ball, so it's not like his success relied on the pg.