PDA

View Full Version : Astros Players Hope To Recruit Sheets

ChiCubs54
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Astros Players Hope To Recruit Sheets

According to Jose de Jesus Ortiz, Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt plans to make a recruiting pitch to Ben Sheets. Sheets will be a free agent after the season. Lance Berkman would love to see Sheets sign with the Astros as well.

Pairing Sheets with Oswalt would certainly change the look of the Astros, who could slot Wandy Rodriguez at #3 or #4 and sign an additional free agent starter. As with most free agent signings, Sheets carries plenty of risk. He's already thrown 162 innings this year, his best since '04. Has he shaken off the injury bug?

Sheets should get at least three years, and four is feasible. $16-17MM per year sounds about right.

Source: MLBTR

lawphin2
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
thatd be cool, him and berkman seemed to have fun together at the ASG

lilboytwister99
08-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Man, honestly I never would think of Ben Sheets signing with Houston, but I'd be all for it if he did.

I once heard that Oswalt was trying to recruit Jake Peavy (his buddy) to sign with Houston. Now that would be a nice 1-2 punch.

If we got two decent starting pitchers in the offseason, I might have my hopes up for '09. Hey, who knows anything can happen. I have to say one thing about Ed Wade.... he pretty much traded away our remaining prospects, but given the team he put together, if we just had a stronger pitching staff, we could contend. I dont care for Ed Wade, but he took the core of the team from last season and built a whole new team around them. I have to say, he tried. Made some trades I still frown on at times (Tejada), but he did try.

chadtx01
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
You have to look at who else is going to be on the market. Sheets would probably be the best pitcher that the Astros could possibly lure to Houston. Sabathia would be amazing, but of course the odds are that he ends up on the West Coast or in NY.

Sheets would be a huge upgrade to our staff. Obviously the big question would be whether or not he stays healthy, but if he does he definitely gives the Astros a decent 1-2 punch with him and Oswalt.

Ricklo
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
:)this i Like this Recruiting but With Ben Sheets that His Former tememate Was Lance Berkman and He Wants His Buddy Playing but With the Houston Astros and that if they Will Sign tomarroww Afternoon.this is From a Houston Astros Diehard Fan is Mr.Richard Lee Ochoa.

tripleplay2007
08-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Sabathia and Sheets? Lets break out the pocket book Mr.Mc. Haha. Im jk. But most likey Sheets will be the one to come to Houston out of the 2. He seems to act rude to fans at Astros home games but still who knows.

coltsfan11
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm all for it, why not the Houston Astros definitely have nothing else to lose this season. Honestly I think he would make the Astros a post season team. Their one big hole, is pitching. They either have young pitchers or inconsistent pitchers. Ben Sheets would be able to come in and be the ace for them, maybe even help some of the younger guys. He will cost a lot and he does come with some injuries in his past, but the Astros should definitely go after him or Sabathia.

lilboytwister99
08-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm all for it, why not the Houston Astros definitely have nothing else to lose this season. Honestly I think he would make the Astros a post season team. Their one big hole, is pitching. They either have young pitchers or inconsistent pitchers. Ben Sheets would be able to come in and be the ace for them, maybe even help some of the younger guys. He will cost a lot and he does come with some injuries in his past, but the Astros should definitely go after him or Sabathia.

I dont know about him being the "ace". Id pick Oswalt as the ace over Sheets. But thats just me. Looking at career numbers and all, I'd rather Oswalt be the ace. But then again who knows we may not have Oswalt after this season, so in that case Sheets would be the ace.

lawphin2
08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I dont know about him being the "ace". Id pick Oswalt as the ace over Sheets. But thats just me. Looking at career numbers and all, I'd rather Oswalt be the ace. But then again who knows we may not have Oswalt after this season, so in that case Sheets would be the ace.

Why would we sign Sheets but trade away Oswalt? isn't that counter-productive

lilboytwister99
08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Why would we sign Sheets but trade away Oswalt? isn't that counter-productive

Yes, that is counter-productive. I just dont know what our moronic management will try to pull in the offseason. I hope they dont trade Oswalt, he's our backbone.

coltsfan11
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes that would be counter-productive but who knows what happens. There are quite a few options. Although I actually think that Sheets has better stuff than does Oswalt, but Sheets has been injured so much he hasn't been able to rise to the level that many still think he can get to.

CrougarMag
08-23-2008, 11:16 AM
You have to look at who else is going to be on the market. Sheets would probably be the best pitcher that the Astros could possibly lure to Houston. Sabathia would be amazing, but of course the odds are that he ends up on the West Coast or in NY.

Sheets would be a huge upgrade to our staff. Obviously the big question would be whether or not he stays healthy, but if he does he definitely gives the Astros a decent 1-2 punch with him and Oswalt.

Sabathia will end up where the most money is. If your ownership opens the checkbook to the tune of a Barry Zito-like contract, you'll have the best 1-2 punch since Schilling/Johnson.. or Schilling/Pedro.. you get my point.

chadtx01
08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Sabathia will end up where the most money is. If your ownership opens the checkbook to the tune of a Barry Zito-like contract, you'll have the best 1-2 punch since Schilling/Johnson.. or Schilling/Pedro.. you get my point.

As great as that would be, I dont think Drayton is going to pony up and offer the same money as the Yanks,Sox,Mets or Dodgers, thats why money is on him landing on the West Coast or NY. Thats usually where the big money is.

stros1fan
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
:)this i Like this Recruiting but With Ben Sheets that His Former tememate Was Lance Berkman and He Wants His Buddy Playing but With the Houston Astros and that if they Will Sign tomarroww Afternoon.this is From a Houston Astros Diehard Fan is Mr.Richard Lee Ochoa.

I am sorry, but I don't speak jibberish.