PDA

View Full Version : QB situation?

BRADY4MVP
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
So I am not stressing out over our backup QB situation, but the play so far has not been close to impressive. With that said, I was wondering what everyone thought about the Pats possibly making a move with Tampa Bay. They have a logjam at QB, and I think that Chris Simms would be a solid backup.

Thoughts? Like? Dis-like? Other possible players?

mc6796
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Not a chance the Pats would never give a draft pick for a player who virtually means nothing to the team. If Brady goes down, whether the back up is Simms, Cassel, Fluttie, or Vinney the Pats will lose.

kbjohnson26
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I disagree. I think if the situation presented itself, I could see the pats throwing a low round pick out there for a backup. Nothing more than a 5th.

I don't see the Pats keeping all of the QBs they have on the roster for much longer. Or at Least One. Cassell has not earned an extension. So after this year he's gone. I think its between Gutes and O'Connell with I think MG has a better shot. I also think he's looked the best in Camp this year too.

cmoneytakemoney
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Not a chance the Pats would never give a draft pick for a player who virtually means nothing to the team. If Brady goes down, whether the back up is Simms, Cassel, Fluttie, or Vinney the Pats will lose.

I don't agree with your if the Brady goes down the Pats will lose theory. I mean no doubt Tom Brady makes the Patriots a 10 times better team but, I think if we lost him for the entire season that Bill Bellicheck is such a great coach that he could still get us to the playoffs. I mean look at the division we're in 1st off. 2nd BB would probably turn the Patriots from a high scoring passing team to a more of a ground game type team and, we have 4 pretty good running backs to make that happen. Of course I want Tom Terrific on the field but, I know BB is a great coach and I know he could still win the AFC East without Brady. If the Colts ever lost Peyton Manning they'd be in more trouble than us if we lost Tom because Dungy isn't half the coach that Bill Bellicheck is.

trucolorz91
08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I think the pats would still be a very good team without brady for the fact that brady didnt have a great game every game last year and we still managed to win all of our regular season games. Also Daunte Cullpepper is still available and Daunte already has chemistry with moss no doubt and its not too hard to chuck it in welkers hands and let him work his magic. But yea the patriots definately needs a new back up because the ones we have now do suck, well atleast cassel. Ive hated that man since last years dolphins game, Cassel needs out the league!

Fribbles
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I am a Patriots fan but I have to disagree with all of you, if Tom is out, were out in the first round of the playoffs and were only in the playoffs cuz we win the division cuz its so easy. Our D was awful on that first drive against Tampa Bay all our starters were in but 3 and they ran the ball down our throats for 9 minutes. I do think our D will turn it around, but the Pats don't go anywhere without Tom Brady under center, his pocket presense, calmness in the pocket, he isn't afraid to take a hit and most of all...he is the best 2 minute drive QB in football and we all know how NE loves winning playoffs games by a hair and in the last minute or OT (snowbowl against Oakland, SB against Carolina, St. Louis and Philly just to name a few) and you guys think Matt Cassel who shouldnt even be on the team nevermind in football or Gutierez or O' Connell can do that?

cmoneytakemoney
08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I am a Patriots fan but I have to disagree with all of you, if Tom is out, were out in the first round of the playoffs and were only in the playoffs cuz we win the division cuz its so easy. Our D was awful on that first drive against Tampa Bay all our starters were in but 3 and they ran the ball down our throats for 9 minutes. I do think our D will turn it around, but the Pats don't go anywhere without Tom Brady under center, his pocket presense, calmness in the pocket, he isn't afraid to take a hit and most of all...he is the best 2 minute drive QB in football and we all know how NE loves winning playoffs games by a hair and in the last minute or OT (snowbowl against Oakland, SB against Carolina, St. Louis and Philly just to name a few) and you guys think Matt Cassel who shouldnt even be on the team nevermind in football or Gutierez or O' Connell can do that?

No I don't think we would win a Super Bowl without Brady but, I don't think we'd be a pushover either. We have 4 good running backs. We can play the Pittsburgh Steeler smash mouth style of football with these backs. We got guys like Mauroney, Morris, and Lamont Jordan to run people over and Kevin Faulk and Wes Welker could be a young quarterbacks best friend by catching screen passes and little 5, 6, 7, or 8 yard passes all day just like Brady did his 1st few years in football. I expect us to be more of a running team and just pass short little screens more this year even if Brady isn't hurt( which I don't think he really is anyway). I expect us to go back to the style of football that won us 3 Super Bowls this year instead of a one dimensional team like we basically were last year.

BRADY4MVP
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
culpepper does have the history....i didnt think of him. If we are leaning towards him, i wish we got leftwich instead, oh well.

Like you guys, I am just frustrated with the back up situation in general.

kbjohnson26
08-20-2008, 01:15 PM

I didnt think anyone was talking about going to the SB. But I still think the playoffs would be a goal. (Because of the division).

ERLynx
08-20-2008, 01:35 PM
if brady goes down, the show's over. period.

Crickr
08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
if brady goes down, the show's over. period.

Hate to see it but you are right my friend

Patsfan56
08-22-2008, 04:04 AM
At first I would agree with you that the show's over, but then I keep thinking about it and I just don't see it that concretely (yes, I think I just made up a word).

Back when Bledsoe was hurt, I had no idea of what Brady could do. And over the seasons he has looked better an better, especially now that he has some incredible weapons.
I agree with some of the chatter in these threads that it looks like a more balanced attack this season makes the msot sense. We have four quality running backs on the roster, so I feel really good about our ability to pound the ball (if the O-line sets does their job). We have solid tight ends and Faulk who add to the pass threat with Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and hopefully Jackson. Our line on paper looks solid, although I would like them to bring it together quite a bit to give our guys some protection and open some holes.
All these things, with incredible coaches BB, Scar, Capers, etc, etc could take a half way decent QB, apply a solid mix of rushing and short yardage "dink and dunk" pass plays, and we still have a good chance. Not a great chance with teams like Dallas, Indy, SD, but I still think we could be competitive. I am not taking away from Brady. Far from it. He is a future HOF QB and one of the greatest to ever play the game, and the best on the field today (please don't start that Brady vs. Manning crap again, this is just IMO). His leadership and poise on the field can't be overstated. I am more focusing on the Pats inherent ability to adapt and overcome challenges.

I think if the Defense can solidify their schemes, and the O-Line can get it together (my biggest concern, bigger than the secondary), we will be alright. Of course, if we were to pick up a proven backup, it wouldn't break my heart. Who's left out there- and how many average QBs does TB need?

Where's Testeverde??? lol...hahaha...ha ha....ha...ahem... I wish that weren't funny

ERLynx
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Yea that Testaverde thing is kind of accurate. Here's what Tom Casale, who wrote for Patriots Football Weekly said a couple months ago about this topic:

"If Brady gets injured the season is over. It’s the same thing with the Colts and Manning and the Cowboys with Tony Romo. When you have a player as good as Brady, it’s impossible to replace him. We can talk about the backup quarterback until we’re blue in the face but does it really matter in the long run? If it were me, I would have a veteran backing up Brady in case he was out for a month, maybe the veteran could come in and right the ship until his return. But if anything major ever happened to No. 12, you can start looking ahead to baseball season."

source: patriots.com

bagwell368
08-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Jeez guys... ever since Bledsoe was dealt, if Brady were knocked out for a given season they were dead.

It's the same for any great team/QB combo for some years. Denver w/o Elway?

Sure you have the occasional Steve Young for Montana... but that's very unlikely these days - so it's a given. Therefore stop obsessing, and get the best guy you can.

futureheisman
08-24-2008, 09:39 AM
jay feilder is up there why not go qafter him or if damon huard is cut brgin him in

cmoneytakemoney
08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
After tonights game I definitely think O'Donnell needs to be the Pats #2 quarterback with Gutierrez as the #3. Cassell should be cut no doubt about it and I wouldn't even care if Gutierrez gets cut also and we pick up Chris Simms or another decent veteran. Cassell will never be more than a #3 quarterback as long as he lives and Gutierrez could probably be a decent #2 somewhere down the line but, O'Donnell looks like he could be a very good starting QB someday. The Pats will definitely keep him. Probably keep Gutierrez but, Cassell has to go.

BRADY4MVP
08-29-2008, 09:42 AM
After tonights game I definitely think O'Donnell needs to be the Pats #2 quarterback with Gutierrez as the #3. Cassell should be cut no doubt about it and I wouldn't even care if Gutierrez gets cut also and we pick up Chris Simms or another decent veteran. Cassell will never be more than a #3 quarterback as long as he lives and Gutierrez could probably be a decent #2 somewhere down the line but, O'Donnell looks like he could be a very good starting QB someday. The Pats will definitely keep him. Probably keep Gutierrez but, Cassell has to go.

totally agree...... like i've said before, Chris Simms would be nice in Patriots colors, and i think Cassel has played his way into the CFL...Toronto Argonauts here we come!

Wake's Fastball
08-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Cassel's absolutely terrible. I think Gutierrez has the ability to be our backup, and O'Connell could definately be the future at the position. We'll have to see.

ERLynx
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM

I agree with you. It's O'Connell, though. He's a 4 year starter, and was the team's (SDSU) entire offense last year. He is projected to take over for Brady in a few years, if need be. I like him a lot. He has more arm strength, is bigger and is faster than Colt Brennan. Cassel stinks.

Patsfan56
08-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Okay, so why is Cassell still a Patriot and Gutierrez not? :confused:From every account I have read, saying Cassell's play has been easily the worst of the four. Gutierrez didn't do that much better, but he wasn't as bad as Cassell.

So what gives? Anyone see something that would explain this? I don't get some of these cuts at all. But then again, thats why BB does what he does and why I do what I do. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Wake's Fastball
08-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Okay, so why is Cassell still a Patriot and Gutierrez not? :confused:From every account I have read, saying Cassell's play has been easily the worst of the four. Gutierrez didn't do that much better, but he wasn't as bad as Cassell.

So what gives? Anyone see something that would explain this? I don't get some of these cuts at all. But then again, thats why BB does what he does and why I do what I do. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Gutierrez still having practice squad eligibility is the only thing I can think of.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-31-2008, 09:32 AM
i know questioning BB makes u look stupid, but........CASSEL SUCKSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say we pick up Simms or Gray or Culpepper or anyone. i really cant beleive he is still here.

O'Connel better be 2nd on the depth chart.

Crickr
08-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Cassel flat out sucks he did last year he does this year. I don't usually question BB but this time I think he had his hoodie pulled over his eyes when cassel played. The Pats need a quality#2 not a always second fiddle who has never proved himself in college or the pros...........