PDA

View Full Version : Who (if anyone) should be fired?

stanpapi
08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Lots of bad moves, lots of wasted money, poor prospects for winter sales. If you are Illitch, do you make changes at the top? Me, I'd like to see a new manager. I don't like the way the team has been managed from game one (they clearly were not ready to start the season) until now (too many guys starting who don't deserve it). That said, how do gas Jim and keep DD? They'll probably stand pat, but I think that's just putting off the eventual shake-up.

smarkow
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Leyland. He'll be back next year. And so will DD. DD put together a team that he thought would win a championship. Hey, we all thought that they would at least make the playoffs. Yes, some of those decisions (renteria, sheff, etc) may not have worked out as planned. but, you've also got to place a lot of the blame on the players themselves. You can't put sole responsibility on the manager/general manager because in the end, the players have to play well. bottom line.

stanpapi
08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Fair enough, Smarkow. But when the players don't pan out, you don't keep sending the same guys out there. I mean, maybe it would have been the same result. But when a guy's tanking and another guy's going good, you go with the guy going good, and Jim didn't do that. Worse, like I said, his team was not ready to start the season, and that rests with the manager.

smarkow
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
agree. i think we both have good points. though I don't think it warrants Jim being fired. I think a lot will change going into next year and we will see some different personnel.
Baseball is such a different game than many of the other team sports. In baseball, all you can really do is play different people, as opposed to other sports in which you can both play different people and run different plays of have a different coaching style.
Am i pissed at some of the moves that Leyland made or didnt make this season. absolutely. likewise, i'm pissed at some of the moves DD made last off season (20/20 in hindsight, but what can you do).
Like i said, i think things will be very different next year. It almost seemed like Leyland didn't really do very much b/c he felt that many of the players had been in this league long enough to know what they need to or should do. Obviously, that wasn't the right managing style for this team. Its really pitiful that we couldnt win with the power on this team, but it proves the fact again that having one of the best lineups on paper does not win anything. In fact, good pitching will always win over good hitting. we spent out money in the wrong places. DD thought our pitchers could repeat their performance from 2006, and that is a tough act to follow, especially with the guys that we have.

mark1125
08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Do I think anyone will be fired? No

Should someone be fired? Maybe. Personally, I wouldn't lose sleep if Leyland got fired. I like how he came in and fired up the team in 06'. I think at his age and mentality, I think his routine wears thin. He is too loyal to the elders. Unfortunately when players underachieve, someone has to pay the price and Leyland is first on the chopping block. DD will get a little more time.

There is plenty of blame to go around from DD to Leyland, to the underachieving vets that are getting the big bucks.

Who would I like to see go:

Sheff, Todd Jones, Rogers, Nate, Renteria, Guillen, Thames, Chuck Hernandez, Sardinha.

brandonwarne52
08-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd love to have Leyland as my manager.