PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzki: main goal is now NBA championship

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Source: Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSPEK1962720080818)

"I achieved my first goal -- playing basketball for Germany in the Olympics," Nowitzki told journalists after the 106-57 loss to the unbeaten U.S. team. They were eliminated with just one win, against Angola, in their five matches.

"Now my main goal is to win the NBA championship," the all-star forward for the Dallas Mavericks said. "We'll have to wait and see how things develop with Germany in the years ahead."

MiamiHeat
08-18-2008, 08:04 PM
it wont happen if he stays in Dallas

LakerzDQ
08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I'll trade Odom+Vlade for Nowitzki. lol. he can come win a ring in LA

Spurred1
08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I'll trade Odom+Vlade for Nowitzki. lol. he can come win a ring in LA
That would be great to see-Dirk and Kobe on the same team. But I don't see Cuban going for that trade.

LakerzDQ
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
That would be great to see-Dirk and Kobe on the same team. But I don't see Cuban going for that trade.

the trade won't happen. I wish though. Dirk needs a better team

LAKERS 24/7
08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
cuban is too smart to let a former mvp go for just odom + fillers

goku
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
wont happen in dallas

jbake_11
08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
hold on, how long has he been in the league???? and now his main goal is a championship. shouldnt that been his original goal?

Spurred1
08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
cuban is too smart to let a former mvp go for just odom + fillers
Cuban hasn't shown too much intelligence lately...

Joshtd1
08-18-2008, 08:27 PM
hold on, how long has he been in the league???? and now his main goal is a championship. shouldnt that been his original goal?

I think he is saing this because he was focusing on trying to win the Olympics gold medal and now that they are out, he is focusing on the NBA now.

POZUNO
08-18-2008, 08:36 PM

I agree. Trade him to Utah, New Orleans, or maybe even Detroit. I don't know, somewhere!

*Superman*
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
When wasn't this the goal? I agree, the Mavs need to rebuild soon and should get young talent for Dirk.

#1Mavericksfan
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I love all this hate...I can't wait untill the season starts so the Mavs and Dirk can shut all the haters up.

Nets fan 93
08-18-2008, 10:52 PM
not saying the Mavs or Lakers would do this but he was traded in the Mock Offseason for Bynum and Odom.

Lakers after:
Gasol
dirk
vlad
Kobe
Fish

Mavs after
Bynum
Odom
Howard
Terry
Kidd

SAVAGE CLAW
08-18-2008, 11:06 PM
2010, Takes a pay cut and signs with Knicks alongside James.

Storch
08-18-2008, 11:22 PM
i would trade gasol and farmar for dirk

DenButsu
08-19-2008, 12:17 AM
It's great Dirk has that as a goal... but really, shouldn't that have been his goal from the moment he entered the NBA? If you're not striving to lead or help a team achieve the highest level of success possible, what's the point?

-----------

edit -

Okay, I see now that I'm like the 3rd or so person to say this.

SAVAGE CLAW
08-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Well the Goal of an Nba player should be a 4 steps process.

1 Step, Make stats in the lousy team you are on, make damm sure you are going to get paid.

2 Resign with your lousy team or sign with any bad team that offers you Max Bucks.

3 When you are like 29 Sign a 3 year Mle to the most likely conteder that would win having you in the Team, Win rings.

4 When the 3 year Mle expires, go for another 3 years MAX contract wherever they pay you.

and then you can add a 5th Step, go Europe and demmand MAX Euro bucks for 3 more years.

Lone Maverick
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM
^Most great players can get more than one big pay day before leaving the NBA.

I honestly can't wait to see how the Mavs are this upcoming season with a full year to mesh with Kidd.

Jay22Redd
08-19-2008, 01:01 AM

Agreed

*Superman*
08-19-2008, 01:14 AM
I love all this hate...I can't wait untill the season starts so the Mavs and Dirk can shut all the haters up.

The truth hurts. I don't think any of us are hating, but we have seen what the Mavs are capable of.

*Superman*
08-19-2008, 01:16 AM
It's great Dirk has that as a goal... but really, shouldn't that have been his goal from the moment he entered the NBA? If you're not striving to lead or help a team achieve the highest level of success possible, what's the point?

-----------

edit -

Great minds think alike.:D

Lone Maverick
08-19-2008, 01:24 AM
The truth hurts. I don't think any of us are hating, but we have seen what the Mavs are capable of.

I don't think its "hate" necessarily and even if it is, based on how the last few years have ended, it could be valid. Until the players silence the critics they will have the label that they are not "tough" enough, and Dirk will have to hear that "he is soft" (even though I don't think he is). It just comes with the territory, superstars get all the blame and credit.

michaellui11
08-19-2008, 01:28 AM
lmao
dirk is funny

dre1990
08-19-2008, 01:48 AM
he might win one as a old role player maybe 7 years down the rode with another team(like Gary Payton)

MoBASS
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
That sucks for Dirk and Cuban. They're both good guys and they should have won a championship in 2006. Too bad the refs thought otherwise... (Dwade too, I'll give him that)

marques724
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
It won't be in Dallas and he can't be the main guy on a team winning a ring in my opinion. I see Dallas struggling and he gets traded in the off-season of next year.

Spurred1
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM

-----------

edit -

I'm guessing that the Olympics are more prestigious in his mind than the NBA-it is where all the "best" athletes come together and attempt to win..well gold, ideally, but a medal. He grew up overseas, maybe that plays a factor in it-maybe the NBA wasn't worshiped the way it is here.
He played on the German team for a number of years-prior to Mavs, I think- maybe he felt some allegiance to them and wanted to work to help get them to the Olympics. Why he can't do both at the same time, I'm not sure. Either way, he's not going to get far with that roster.

x_notorious
08-19-2008, 11:45 PM
His championship chances in Dallas look slim, especially in the competitive Western Conference.

JJ81
08-20-2008, 12:06 AM
not saying the Mavs or Lakers would do this but he was traded in the Mock Offseason for Bynum and Odom.

Lakers after:
Gasol
dirk
vlad
Kobe
Fish

Mavs after
Bynum
Odom
Howard
Terry
Kidd

I'd rather keep Bynum because he's stronger and more of a natural center than both Gasol and Dirk. It would have to be Dirk or Gasol and I'm happy with Gasol at the moment:clap: